Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3453 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam Twenty, Cameron Crowe Documentary (2011)
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:09 am 
Stone's Bitch

I just dug out my copy of Yield and turns out there actually IS one on there too!

-Side A - Thanks for everything...
-Side B - ...Bruce Fairweather

:shock:

sorry, had to.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:13 am 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

:nice:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:20 am 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:38 pm 
Got Some

theplatypus wrote:
Quote:
Because of this thread I watched about 20 minutes of this over my lunch break. I made it to the "have become famous" part and so far this is what I've noticed:

In Green River and Mother Love Bone, Bruce Fairweather was an essential member. It's my understanding that he would have been "guitar hero #2" of the Pearl Jam if he had shown interest in joining, but didn't, so McCreedy was called. The only reason I know this is because Bruce lived here for awhile, was a great guy, and we became friends. He never bragged on it. In fact, I didn't even know he was *that* Bruce until I knew him for a bit. Maybe he didn't want to be interviewed for this doc, but he was essential to them becoming what they became. A mention wouldn't have only been nice, but relevant.

Same with "session drummer looking dude with the soul patch."
So far this doc would have me believe that Pearl Jam were a four piece with Some Dude Liberally Using a China Type Cymbal Until Matt Cameron Joined on drums. Even if he's not in the band anymore it's kinda important that he was the drummer on one of the best selling albums of that era. Maybe you could, you know, mention his name.

I also thought it was funny that all of the intro music was a "scanning the dial" melange of Seattle bands - The Kingsmen, Heart, Hendrix, and then, inexplicably, you hear Breadcrumb Trail to take us into the film. Was that so we would associate them with indie cred bands? Plenty of those in the Pacific Northwest, so why use Slint? It just seemed weird. It was particularly funny because I had just seen Brian Pauslon not three minutes earlier.

I'll chip away at the rest of this over my next three or four lunch breaks. So far it seems to be a "history is written by the victors" piece. I thought it was especially funny that they had so much footage of their early shows, and that there was almost no time between them forming and being huge. I think they were primed for fame. I don't hold that against them at all, but what usually makes these things great is the "struggling against all odds" story. While they did experience tragedies as another band, the story of Pearl Jam seems to be the story of going ahead and getting to getting famous because everybody knew it was going to happen.

I have no problem with Cameron Crowe when he's good. I liked Almost Famous and Fast Times was great. Plus he gets to hang out with Nancy Wilson all of the time.
This film just seems to be "meh."

Some of the people in that thread are over-the-top hateful, but this guy is 100% right.

He's not 100% right. Crowe and Nancy Wilson divorced years ago so I'm sure they don't hang out all the time.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:41 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

mray10 wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
Quote:
Because of this thread I watched about 20 minutes of this over my lunch break. I made it to the "have become famous" part and so far this is what I've noticed:

In Green River and Mother Love Bone, Bruce Fairweather was an essential member. It's my understanding that he would have been "guitar hero #2" of the Pearl Jam if he had shown interest in joining, but didn't, so McCreedy was called. The only reason I know this is because Bruce lived here for awhile, was a great guy, and we became friends. He never bragged on it. In fact, I didn't even know he was *that* Bruce until I knew him for a bit. Maybe he didn't want to be interviewed for this doc, but he was essential to them becoming what they became. A mention wouldn't have only been nice, but relevant.

So far this doc would have me believe that Pearl Jam were a four piece with Some Dude Liberally Using a China Type Cymbal Until Matt Cameron Joined on drums. Even if he's not in the band anymore it's kinda important that he was the drummer on one of the best selling albums of that era. Maybe you could, you know, mention his name.

I also thought it was funny that all of the intro music was a "scanning the dial" melange of Seattle bands - The Kingsmen, Heart, Hendrix, and then, inexplicably, you hear Breadcrumb Trail to take us into the film. Was that so we would associate them with indie cred bands? Plenty of those in the Pacific Northwest, so why use Slint? It just seemed weird. It was particularly funny because I had just seen Brian Pauslon not three minutes earlier.

I'll chip away at the rest of this over my next three or four lunch breaks. So far it seems to be a "history is written by the victors" piece. I thought it was especially funny that they had so much footage of their early shows, and that there was almost no time between them forming and being huge. I think they were primed for fame. I don't hold that against them at all, but what usually makes these things great is the "struggling against all odds" story. While they did experience tragedies as another band, the story of Pearl Jam seems to be the story of going ahead and getting to getting famous because everybody knew it was going to happen.

I have no problem with Cameron Crowe when he's good. I liked Almost Famous and Fast Times was great. Plus he gets to hang out with Nancy Wilson all of the time.

Some of the people in that thread are over-the-top hateful, but this guy is 100% right.

He's not 100% right. Crowe and Nancy Wilson divorced years ago so I'm sure they don't hang out all the time.

bruce was really essential when they wrote all the songs it seems.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:41 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

mray10 wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
Quote:

bruce was really essential when they wrote all the songs it seems.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:24 am 
Got Some
 YIM  Profile

eh it was okay. i bought it for 20 dollars from target, watched in once over the course of 2 days. eh that was enough. wish i had got the cd instead bc the film was nothing new.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:12 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

That soundcheck version of Go isnt on TKAT...shit buzz..

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:58 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I watched it on tuesday. One of the things which really struck me was when Eddie talks about how close him and Stone were. It seems like he's about to cry. I guess it was Dave's sacking that did it.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them" -Karl Popper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:52 pm 
Johnny Guitar

I think you mean Jeff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:11 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I might have to watch again. I'm sure it registered because of the romancing the stone thread and all that.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them" -Karl Popper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:37 pm 
Got Some

he was definitely talking about jeff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:29 am 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

Kevin Davis wrote:
I'm even more disappointed that there was no footage of the band riding in actual hovercrafts in this doc.

shit. this is a dealbreaker for me.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:11 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Damn, I enjoy that Foo Fighters documentry

http://stackpapersgetpaid.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:22 pm 
Got Some

I bought this the other day, mixed feelings about it, but overall it was well presented, just uneven in the presontation of some things.

I really wanted them to go more into no code, yield, and binaural. it was just like they totally shrugged off all of that stuff, whereas they went to extreme detail on ten. I mean an extra 30-hour of more stuff would have at least left room for some elaboration.

http://www.jason-stallings.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:44 pm 
Force of Nature

The Blu-Ray is Best Buy's Music Deal of the Day: $11.99. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pearl+Jam+T ... &lp=4&cp=1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:53 pm 
Got Some

Its on Netflix in HD so I finally watched it. Kind of a fluff piece which I expected. A fun watch once but I don't see much need to buy a copy or watch it again. Which they had went into differences in the drummers and the effect on the music and what each brought to the table a bit but I didn't expect them to. Some more looks into how the band evolved from album to album would have been better as well. 3 stars out of 5.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:31 am 
Fuck Sharks

I watched it again with my 12 year old, who is now a big Mike McCready fan.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:23 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

ScottZeagle wrote:

cool kid...we need more people like him here.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:37 pm 
Unthought Known

VinylGuy wrote:
ScottZeagle wrote:

cool kid...we need more people like him here.

Don't we already have a heap of 12 year olds on here?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3453 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam