Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3036 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148 ... 152  Next

Favorite Song on Avocado
Life Wasted 4%  4%  [ 5 ]
World Wide Suicide 0%  0%  [ 1 ]
Comatose 5%  5%  [ 6 ]
Severed Hand 13%  13%  [ 14 ]
Marker in the Sand 15%  15%  [ 16 ]
Parachutes 14%  14%  [ 15 ]
Unemployable 6%  6%  [ 7 ]
Big Wave 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Gone 3%  3%  [ 4 ]
Wasted Reprise 0%  0%  [ 1 ]
Army Reserve 12%  12%  [ 13 ]
Come Back 6%  6%  [ 7 ]
Inside Job 9%  9%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 101
 Post subject: Re: Talk about Pearl Jam / Avocado
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 2:11 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Parachutes is wildly out of place on this record.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 2:16 pm 
Ghostasauros

dimejinky99 wrote:

Agreed.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 3:08 pm 
Unthought Known

Y'all are negative, and I don't like you.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 3:45 pm 
Unthought Known

Severed Hand : love
Comatose : like
Life Wasted : ok

Parachutes : its ok
Marker : eh
Big Wave : meh

WWS : sucks pretty bad
Unemployable, Army Reserve, Inside Job, and anything else i'm forgetting : sucks ass

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 4:35 pm 
The Snowboy

PHATJ wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

Agreed.

I don't hate parachutes by itself, but it brings this album to a standstill.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 4:37 pm 
Coast to Coast

It's too good for the rest of the album.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 4:50 pm 
The Snowboy

theplatypus wrote:

That might be it, actually, but tonally it's wrong as well; it doesn't touch on any subjects the rest of the songs do. It's a tender, personal love song type thing where all the other songs seem like public outcries. I suppose you could compare it to Inside Job, which is also personal and intimate, but that's not lyrically nearly as strong.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 9:05 pm 
Global Moderator

there's the brief war reference at the end of parachutes that makes me relate it to songs like WWS and Army Reserve. Kind of like the soldier in those songs singing about the love he had to leave behind.

Come Back deserves more love than it gets.

The perfect gift for certain occasions

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 9:13 pm 
The Snowboy

stip wrote:
there's the brief war reference at the end of parachutes that makes me relate it to songs like WWS and Army Reserve. Kind of like the soldier in those songs singing about the love he had to leave behind.

Come Back deserves more love than it gets.

I don't really have a problem with Come Back. It's kind of like Backspacer in that it's attempting something that not everyone will like.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 10:20 pm 
Ghostasauros

Harmless wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

Agreed.

I don't hate it either. I'd give it 3/5 stars. It's sound just doesn't fit the album (in my opinion). I have kind of always felt it would've worked better as a b-side.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 10:05 am 
The Snowboy

PHATJ wrote:
Harmless wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

Agreed.

I don't hate it either. I'd give it 3/5 stars. It's sound just doesn't fit the album (in my opinion). I have kind of always felt it would've worked better as a b-side.

Yup.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:49 am 
Former PJ Drummer

Parachutes is still the only thing they've done in years that I actively want to hear on occasion.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:55 am 
Master of Meh

theplatypus wrote:

Agreed.

Unemployable too. I really like that song.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:13 am 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

Severed Hand is a beast live.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 4:09 am 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

Of The Earth and The Forest should have been B-sides for the singles =/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:41 am 
too drunk to moderate properly
 WWW  Profile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:06 am 
Got Some
 YIM  Profile

The blue one that forced Pearl Jam back onto the radio after stations ignored all thier promo singles they got of thier after they played that dirge called "Nothing As it Seems" and people turned off thier radios.

It had that happy little pop song about war with really sad words, but a really upbeat little tune that they played twice a day. The second one other one called "Life Wasted" that had a video that could have been for any song on that cd. the words and the mouth's lips on that bloody eddie vedder head didnt even sync up properly, or have the right shape to be saying the proper lyric at the wrong time. sure better than the goofy soccer ball kid vid for WWS tho. Then most stations passed on gone and made jokes- Gone just like our interest in this record...

Man i loved this CD. It gave us SNL performances of WWS and Severed Hand, even tho the mix was really crumby and couldnt hear anything but drums and vocals at all. I mean they showed a clip of McCready playing at the end of Severed Hand and i was like holy shit his guitar is plugged in.

But the shows on this tour were a drunken time had by all on the east coast, and guess where other people live too, fun, selling bootlegs that sounded worse that audience recordings pissed me off (matt and his cardboard box for a snare, eddie smoking 3 packs of cigarettes a day, stone deciding to play 1/2 the songs on an acoustic guitar for some reason, bringing Worf back on keyboards again (but they didn't tell him his organ wasn't piped thru the pa- thats why Mikes guitar sounds like an organ to make think him think that hes awesome. Oh and the band forgetting all thier distorion pedals hurt. )

But avacado was fun! All thier album styles up to that point put in a blender and out came a whole avacado! And it was blue! PLus the extra time from Riot Act made me think this one was extra special! (i realized that this is no longer true- the time between pearl jam album doesnt matter because either way they go in record 6 good songs for 2 weeks - then come back later and fill in the rest with some a couple acoustic ed songs a weird one, and a few boring one and finish it off the album)

And i think backspacer makes avacado sound so much better and all now (as the problems of the live shows sound of that 08 tour seemed to make in onto the next record itself. yuck)

So all in all I think this blue one is a good Pearl Jam CD for anyone who likes thier first 3 albums. To me thats the core of PJ radio side, so i think this made the concerts flow nice, and be an easy listen for the general non Pearl Jam Junkie at shows. They didnt kno all the avacado songs, but they enjoyed em (at least my 3 chums).

(Unlike when Backspacer songs were played live they went to pee or do drugs in the bathroom)

I think avacado is a good standard rock record, and i find it enjoyable.

It could have very easily been thier fourth record, like if you want to pretend that No code- Riot act never happened and this is Pearl Jam four (like that guy Singer did with superman returns and pretening nothing after the first 2 superman movies counted) then go ahead! And since alot of the public doesn't know about those anyway- this was the perfect self titled comback record for thier re-introduction to the mainstream. PJ wanted to be loved again with Pearl Jam 4 avacado. The problem was they waited 8 years too long to release it.
(Since PJ overestimated how much the world needs them- fuck doing videos, they'll buy out shit no matter what :)- were fucking pearl jam. This commmerical attitude didnt really hold up in the 00s once the angry kids grew up and have jobs at Comcast, or managing targets and thier kids werent angry back in 93 so they dont kno who pearl jam was. combine that with thier record getting worse and worse since yield. and well there ya. Also PEARL JAM dropped thier label so man if they could renegotiate a contract which they got a bigger cut- damn they best push the hell out of this record and make some money! They can pretend the bootlegs are for the fans and all. Its a very clever marketing strategy.

But seriously, Pearl Jam is so much better than many other bands, and my favorite! Nothing tops thier live shows :) I just wonder what they could do if they really put thier minds to it as group (let stone and jeff write the music, ed can do words. keep the pen away from mike, and PLEASE lock the writing materials up so matt cannot touch them at least. I love the guy but i really still never got over evacuation. my friends and high school turned that song into ejac-u-lation! And made a bad song even worse. So what was I saying yeah the first half to AVACADO is awesome from the first track up to Porch 2 (severed hand). Then parachutes (is where the albums starts to fall) but at least it didn't land flat on its face!

Avacado is rated three popcorns out of 5 ! It was the right album for pj to release for commerical reasons at that point in time in an attempt to increase thier brands awareness, and it was enjoyable. (Plus gave the set lists a greatest hits type feel which was fun for the kids!)

:) go orioles! Happy Tuesday avacado eaters.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:57 am 
Johnny Guitar

dimejinky99 wrote:

I don't understand this at all. The whole album, at least on one level, is about the war, and Parachutes like Come Back is a home-front song sung in an intimate, first-person way. (I don't love Come Back but I think Parachutes is, if not one of my very favorites, not far behind.)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:37 am 
The Snowboy

Thematically it fits, stylistically it has no place on there. Plus, it's probably too good for this album.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:57 am 
Master of Meh

Harmless wrote:
Plus, it's probably too good for this album.

:thumbsup:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3036 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148 ... 152  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam