Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: vedder desparate to quit smoking
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:37 am 
Cameron's Stallion
 WWW  Profile

Jammer91 wrote:
Frank, that's going in my sig man.

you need to do a shitload more quotes in your sig
its way too small
:arrow:

13/11/06 Melbourne, 20/11/09 Melbourne

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:02 am 
Supersonic
 WWW  Profile

I already made this point clear before, Alessiana: smoking is a preventable cause of death. Cancer isn't.

edit: fixed for you.

Last edited by Sunny on Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:14 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah
 WWW  Profile

Sunny wrote:
I already made this point clear before, Lessie: smoking is a preventable cause of death. Cancer isn't.

My name is not Lessie.

You think you made a point. I didn't challenge you because pointing it out is a very tricky thing to do without causing insult. I'm not sure how to do it. I don't believe I have the required grace. I figured I'd leave it up to other people. I guess that didn't work well.

I recommend you examine the two statements for causal relationships. Otherwise I'm just going to pretend you didn't say anything. It's safer.

ps Only Frankie calls me Lessie. No one else ever has. It is unique to him. He is allowed. Nothing personal against anyone else. It's just not my nickname.

Hope we're cool on that one!

support public radio http://www.wtmd.org/index.html

AHOF Lifetime Achievement Honoree

May there be an ever after, after all.

I won’t call you surely, if you forget I have a drinking problem

Post subject: Eddie Vedder and smoking.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:04 am 
Former PJ Drummer

Is it a new thing to care about this? 6-7 years ago, when I used to pay attention, nobody gave a shit. Or is this just because his voice is way more fucked now than it was then?

Also, please congratulate me on my first ever PJ chat thread (even though it will probably get locked).

Post subject: Re: Eddie Vedder and smoking.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:14 am 
Unthought Known

Anyone who's ever cared enough knows Eddie's still got the goods in studio, but doesn't sound as good in concert as he used to. Some might attribute that to age, but lots of people think the smoking has more to do with it. For the sake of his health, his family, and all the fans, we want him to quit.

Cynics will say "Oh you just want him around longer so you can hear more music." Yeah, that's true and kind of selfish in a way, but I'd feel that way about anyone that has smoked for an extended period of time. Why set yourself up for terrible problems later in life? Fucking quit.

"Remember back the early days when you were young and thus amazed."

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:20 am 
Hipster doofus

Anyone can sound good in the studio after a little autotune.

Smoking is obviously a poor choice for someone who makes a living off his voice. Not that it matters to him at this point.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:33 am 
Force of Nature

I'd say it's the reason he's been going downhill every tour for quite some time now and I bet he knows it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:36 am 
Dave A's Slave

tryinmorning wrote:

Smoking is obviously a poor choice for someone who makes a living off his voice.

This right here is THE key point in this disscusion. If I was a carpenter I would be stupid to treat my hands like shit, crack my knuckles, play a sport that is going to see me break quite a few fingers because that is how I make a living. If I start getting arthritis at age 40, my hands start to seize up I cant work and I'm out of a job. The ONLY difference is that Ed has enough money to not worry about being out of a job, he is quite comfortable. It may be selfish for fans to want to elongate careers in order to get more music, but on the same note it is selfish to put yourself before the band and the fans because you have a detrimental habit you wont kick, I think with Got Some the band is leaps years ahead of Eddie, he is being left behind in the dust. Eddie cant hold up very well in live shows anymore and that is how the band makes the bulk of their money, ticket sales. Besides that, smoking KILLS. That should be the foremost concern, he's got kids.

Vedder’s sticking with the underdog, McCready’s classicist rock solo, Gossard, Ament, and Abbruzzese’s solid yet organic and rootsy rhythm section. It’s earnest, it’s got tension, and that nod to classic rock. It’s Pearl Jam.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:38 am 
Force of Nature

I miss Lukin.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:40 am 
Dave A's Slave

Blood sounds like Ed's having an asthma attack.

Vedder’s sticking with the underdog, McCready’s classicist rock solo, Gossard, Ament, and Abbruzzese’s solid yet organic and rootsy rhythm section. It’s earnest, it’s got tension, and that nod to classic rock. It’s Pearl Jam.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:41 am 
Hipster doofus

Irving wrote:
I miss Lunkin.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:50 am 
Force of Nature

I think that Ed's voice used to be much more of a centerpiece and a launcher of energy for the whole band. His screams would catapult songs into amazing areas and kick start guitar leads that Stone or Mike would take.

Listen to DTE from Two Legs and just listen to those amazing roars and screams that just blister that song along. Incredible.

Around 2005ish and a bit earlier, to my ears, he really started losing this catapulting effect with his voice. He totally lost the Lukin he has inside. He could no longer send the band into hyperdrive with his voice. He tried awfully hard to, but the whole band was lagged down as a result of his lost vocal ability.

Most of the band's early songs are written around having that powerful energetic voice to blast off songs.

But it seems to me that the band are now writing music that no longer relies on Ed as much. I think that one of the reasons that Got Some blasts off into rock wonderland is because the band are not relying upon screams and long sustained notes by Ed to move forward. Their newer music seems more independent from heavily relying upon vocals.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:46 am 
Global Moderator

Buffalohed wrote:
Is it a new thing to care about this? 6-7 years ago, when I used to pay attention, nobody gave a shit. Or is this just because his voice is way more fucked now than it was then?

Also, please congratulate me on my first ever PJ chat thread (even though it will probably get locked).

I merge much more than I lock

The perfect gift for certain occasions

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:21 am 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

Irving wrote:
I think that Ed's voice used to be much more of a centerpiece and a launcher of energy for the whole band. His screams would catapult songs into amazing areas and kick start guitar leads that Stone or Mike would take.

Listen to DTE from Two Legs and just listen to those amazing roars and screams that just blister that song along. Incredible.

Around 2005ish and a bit earlier, to my ears, he really started losing this catapulting effect with his voice. He totally lost the Lukin he has inside. He could no longer send the band into hyperdrive with his voice. He tried awfully hard to, but the whole band was lagged down as a result of his lost vocal ability.

Most of the band's early songs are written around having that powerful energetic voice to blast off songs.

But it seems to me that the band are now writing music that no longer relies on Ed as much. I think that one of the reasons that Got Some blasts off into rock wonderland is because the band are not relying upon screams and long sustained notes by Ed to move forward. Their newer music seems more independent from heavily relying upon vocals.

i totally agree with this post. the star of the show on Got Some isn't Eddie (at least on the Tonight Show version) - it's clearly the band and seriously, put Ed's performance/mix issues aside, this band is fucking healthy.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:22 am 
Unthought Known

Its about time we initiated a "Please Stop Smoking" sign campaign. His upcoming solo tour is the perfect time for it. :|

"Remember back the early days when you were young and thus amazed."

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:27 am 
Red Mosquito, my libido

Riot Actor 25 wrote:
Its about time we initiated a "Please Stop Smoking" sign campaign. His upcoming solo tour is the perfect time for it. :|

That's a pretty piss poor thing to do. Nothing annoys smokers more than a bunch of people trying to convince them to quit smoking.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:31 am 
Force of Nature

Riot Actor 25 wrote:

Oh man. lol Can you imagine fans holding signs that say "stop smoking please". lol Probably would piss Ed off.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:26 am 
Dave A's Slave

ha ha all that would do is compel Eddie to stop the show and say "Watch this fuckers", take a nice slow, long drag and blow it into the crowd.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:01 am 
Got Some

Jesus tap dancing christ on a fucking moped, you do realise that Edddie Vedder is the lead singer in rock & roll band? You're aware of that aren't you? Because to my mind, if smoking is the only bad habit the man has, we haven't got much to worry about. You anti-smoking nazi's really need to get a life.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:06 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Irving wrote:
He tried awfully hard to, but the whole band was lagged down as a result of his lost vocal ability.

He tried?
Most (used to be all) of the singing parts are written by Eddie so it isn't the band that writes around his disabilities if anything it's him.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam