Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 313 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Is Binaural the best PJ album?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:50 pm 
Johnny Guitar

Quote:
Is Binaural the best PJ album?

How long has the OP been a fan, anyone who's been listening to Pearl Jam longer than 10 years would never claim "Binaural", "Riot Act" or Self Titled as the best Pearl Jam albums. Any Pearl Jam fan that would rate those albums any where but the bottom of the barrel is just not getting it, and might be a fan of a different band.

The top three Pearl Jam albums are:
Vs., Vitalogy and Ten. You can put those three in any order you want but those three have to be in the top three, I put them in order of how I feel they should be arranged. Vs to me is the best, followed closely by Vitalogy and Ten.

After those three come No Code and Yield, again you could put those two in any order but they are the #4 and #5 best Pearl Jam albums.

The bottom three is definitely Binaural, Riot Act and Self Titled. Of those three Riot Act is difinetely the bottom, although Binaural is close.

Best Pearl Jam albums (IMO):

Vs.
Vitalogy
Ten
No Code
Yield
Self Titled
Binaural
Riot Act

Randalls Island New York 9/29/96 - Oakland Coliseum Oakland California 11/15/97 - MSG New York New York 09/10/98 - Key Arena Seattle Washington 11/05/00, 11/06/00 - Holmdel 7/14/03 - Camden New Jersey 5/28/06 - MSG New York 06/25/08, Philadelphia 10/27/09

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:53 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

STT757 wrote:
anyone who's been listening to Pearl Jam longer than 10 years would never claim "Binaural", "Riot Act" or Self Titled as the best Pearl Jam albums. Any Pearl Jam fan that would rate those albums any where but the bottom of the barrel is just not getting it, and might be a fan of a different band.

Have you been a prick your whole life?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:00 pm 
Supersonic

cutuphalfdead wrote:
STT757 wrote:
anyone who's been listening to Pearl Jam longer than 10 years would never claim "Binaural", "Riot Act" or Self Titled as the best Pearl Jam albums. Any Pearl Jam fan that would rate those albums any where but the bottom of the barrel is just not getting it, and might be a fan of a different band.

I'm glad i wasn't the one to say it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:11 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

Patrick Bateman wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
STT757 wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:32 pm 
Johnny Guitar

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Patrick Bateman wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
STT757 wrote:

Ahem.

Saw them in a small club in Victoria BC before they were even called Pearl Jam.
But apparently because I think their studio and live work has steadily improved since then, I don't get it.

Binaural is one of my favorite albums. I'm not decisive enough to make a "best" call.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:35 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

Dark Helmet wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Patrick Bateman wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
STT757 wrote:

Ahem.

But apparently because I think their studio and live work has steadily improved since then, I don't get it.

Binaural is one of my favorite albums. I'm not decisive enough to make a "best" call.

You must be listening to a different band. :shake: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:44 pm 
Johnny Guitar

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Dark Helmet wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Patrick Bateman wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
STT757 wrote:

Ahem.

You must be listening to a different band. :shake: :lol:

Ya, I just checked. What I thought were my Pearl Jam CDs are actually a bunch of Three Fish bootlegs :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:02 pm 
Banned from the Pit

stip wrote:
nesfan wrote:
mastaflatch wrote:
- the artwork. visually, it is really appealing to me. people like to put down S/T because the artwork is horrendous - i agree. but galaxies etc.? it's just misleading and it doesn't fit. (btw, i did catch the Lightyears thing - it's just not enough a reference to make a sleeve from it). quite a stepdown from their previous ones.

I'd say Gods Dice and Insignificance have a direct connection to the artwork.

how so?

I've always believed the title Gods Dice has a connection to Albert Einstein who "repeatedly claimed that God does not "play dice", as he put it, with the universe".

As for insignificance I've never looked too deep into it's true meaning... but I've always felt it's lyrics matched up with the artwork. We're insignificant in comparison to the size of the universe. "Blame it all on chemical intercourse" always reminds me of the album art..

Barrie - 98
Detroit - 00,03,06
London - 05

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:28 pm 
this doesn't say anything

from Ten, I like Even Flow, Alive, Black, Jeremy, Oceans, Porch, Garden, Release.

for as good and as powerful as these songs are, the tracks off Binaural I listed prior are SO MUCH more interesting musically/sonically/lyrically-conceptually to me

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:45 pm 
Force of Nature

I don't actually have anything to add to this thread, just wanted to share that, when I first got Binaural, I still could barely read English, and I read "God's Dice" as "God's Dick". Was pleasantly surprised to hear that I was wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:51 pm 
Supersonic

Satan's dick/God's dice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:37 am 
Force of Nature

nesfan wrote:
stip wrote:
nesfan wrote:
mastaflatch wrote:
- the artwork. visually, it is really appealing to me. people like to put down S/T because the artwork is horrendous - i agree. but galaxies etc.? it's just misleading and it doesn't fit. (btw, i did catch the Lightyears thing - it's just not enough a reference to make a sleeve from it). quite a stepdown from their previous ones.

I'd say Gods Dice and Insignificance have a direct connection to the artwork.

how so?

I've always believed the title Gods Dice has a connection to Albert Einstein who "repeatedly claimed that God does not "play dice", as he put it, with the universe".

As for insignificance I've never looked too deep into it's true meaning... but I've always felt it's lyrics matched up with the artwork. We're insignificant in comparison to the size of the universe. "Blame it all on chemical intercourse" always reminds me of the album art..

Ed said the moral of Insignificance was "the ineffectiveness of political struggle" in this interview - http://www.fivehorizons.com/archive/art ... _700.shtml

As far as the artwork, this is what Jeff had to say:
"The reason that we went with Tchad [Blake] is because he provides an amazing atmosphere to songs....So, I think we wanted the artwork to represent that....One of the themes that we've been exploring...is just realizing that in the big scheme of things, even the music that we make when we come together, no matter how powerful it is, it's still pretty minuscule. I think for me the whole space theme has a lot to do with scale. You know, you look at some of those pictures, and there are thirteen light years in four inches in that picture."

Link: http://web.archive.org/web/200710140742 ... oes11.html

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:18 am 
Johnny Guitar

I'd rather be a prick than a poser.

Seriously when was the last time you heard a song from Binaural on the radio, for me it was 2000 and I have some pretty good Pearl Jam friendly stations (93.3 WMMR) that I listen to. What you hear most on the radio no matter where in the country you are is "Even Flow", "Jeremy", "Alive", "Daughter", "Corduroy", "Betterman" and sometimes "Given to Fly".

Those songs are from Ten, Vs, Vitalogy and Yield. Not only are those the only songs you hear in steady radio rotation from Pearl Jam, but they are also the best selling Pearl Jam albums.

A Pearl Jam fan claiming "Binaural" is better than "Ten", "Vs." "Vitalogy" , "No Code" or "Yield" is like a Led Zeppelin claiming "Coda" is better than "Zeppelin IV", "Zeppelin II" , "Zeppelin I" and "Houses of the Holy".

Randalls Island New York 9/29/96 - Oakland Coliseum Oakland California 11/15/97 - MSG New York New York 09/10/98 - Key Arena Seattle Washington 11/05/00, 11/06/00 - Holmdel 7/14/03 - Camden New Jersey 5/28/06 - MSG New York 06/25/08, Philadelphia 10/27/09

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:26 am 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

STT757 wrote:

Seriously when was the last time you heard a song from Binaural on the radio, for me it was 2000 and I have some pretty good Pearl Jam friendly stations (93.3 WMMR) that I listen to. What you hear most on the radio no matter where in the country you are is "Even Flow", "Jeremy", "Alive", "Daughter", "Corduroy", "Betterman" and sometimes "Given to Fly".

Those songs are from Ten, Vs, Vitalogy and Yield. Not only are those the only songs you hear in steady radio rotation from Pearl Jam, but they are also the best selling Pearl Jam albums.

A Pearl Jam fan claiming "Binaural" is better than "Ten", "Vs." "Vitalogy" , "No Code" or "Yield" is like a Led Zeppelin claiming "Coda" is better than "Zeppelin IV", "Zeppelin II" , "Zeppelin I" and "Houses of the Holy".

but wouldn't the same logic make britney, celine and shania better artists than pearl jam?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:49 am 
Force of Nature

mastaflatch wrote:
STT757 wrote:

but wouldn't the same logic make britney, celine and shania better artists than pearl jam?

They are better than PJ.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:56 am 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

Irving wrote:
mastaflatch wrote:
STT757 wrote:

They are better than PJ.

Celine Dion is prettier than Stone.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:56 am 
this doesn't say anything

STT757 wrote:

sessions vs albums...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:00 am 
Team Binaural
 WWW  Profile

STT757 wrote:

Seriously when was the last time you heard a song from Binaural on the radio, for me it was 2000 and I have some pretty good Pearl Jam friendly stations (93.3 WMMR) that I listen to. What you hear most on the radio no matter where in the country you are is "Even Flow", "Jeremy", "Alive", "Daughter", "Corduroy", "Betterman" and sometimes "Given to Fly". .

I too believe anything that radio stations and commercials tell me.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:53 am 
$5 Donation Gets Custom Title

LOL RADIO PLAY EQUALS BEST ALBUMS GUYS LOL

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:57 am 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

This was a well thought out and well argued thread til the 'my cocks bigger than yours' bit..
A statement like the radioplay statement debunked anything else he was gonna say...
back on track, it was one of the more productive sessions they've ever had, even with ed's writers block and mike out partying too much..i have a question though..

Am i right in thinkin they've given us more left offs from the Binaural sessions than any other session? other than maybe Ten possibly? we've never had that much extra material from a records sessions have we?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 313 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam