Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 313 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Is Binaural the best PJ album?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:38 pm
Posts: 20059
Gender: Male
i still don't see much resemblance between gods dice and hail hail. yeah, they're both fast paced rockers, but i don't see them as incredibly similar.

_________________
stop light plays its part, so I would say you've got a part


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Binaural the best PJ album?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:05 pm 
Offline
Banned from the Pit
 Profile

Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:16 pm
Posts: 96
lol @ this crazy-ass thread

Binaural isn't even in the top 5 Pearl Jam albums


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Binaural the best PJ album?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Got Some
 Profile

Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:37 am
Posts: 2465
Location: A dark place
Thin Air is garbage.

_________________
Do you like crappy amateur photography? Check out my photo blog here.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Binaural the best PJ album?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:38 pm
Posts: 20059
Gender: Male
Thin Air is good stuff... I'd put this album around third in my PJ rankings. After Riot Act and Vitalogy and before Ten

_________________
stop light plays its part, so I would say you've got a part


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Binaural the best PJ album?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Founding Bitch
 Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:09 pm
Posts: 13868
Location: Norn Iron
No.

_________________
Wilderness 1:49-2:04. Diamond Dust.

Window Washer's Dream - Planet Sonata's Intension


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Binaural the best PJ album?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:31 pm
Posts: 7162
Location: The Only "Non-NESN" County CT
Gender: Male
Nudist wrote:
lol @ this crazy-ass thread

Binaural isn't even in the top 5 Pearl Jam albums

lol @ this crazy-ass post

and

No, as well

_________________
dirtyfrank0705 wrote:
At the age of 40, PunkDavid will check his own prostate and then bill his doctor.


Frank RIP


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Binaural the best PJ album?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Master of Meh
 Profile

Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 11:00 pm
Posts: 13226
Location: Adelaide, AUS
I don't know, I really like pretty much all of the songs on this album. I like them a lot in fact, it's strange how a tracklisting can really fool you otherwise. It's like putting a beautiful painting in an ugly frame, it's hard to train your eye to see past the unattractive presentation. It didn't click for me til I heard the songs live on the boots and listened to the original tracklisting.

I know we all have wildly different opinions but I really can't understand criticising the quality of the songwriting in this period, it was the last time they churned out material on a par with the first five albums to me. It's a crying shame they took some of the strongest songs off the album and then retracked what remained so it made no musical sense.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Binaural the best PJ album?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:35 am 
Offline
User avatar
Dave A's Slave
 Profile

Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:19 am
Posts: 728
Location: Island Continent
Gender: Male
No.

_________________
Vedder’s sticking with the underdog, McCready’s classicist rock solo, Gossard, Ament, and Abbruzzese’s solid yet organic and rootsy rhythm section. It’s earnest, it’s got tension, and that nod to classic rock. It’s Pearl Jam.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Binaural the best PJ album?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:24 am 
Offline
Force of Nature
 Profile

Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:22 am
Posts: 735
Gender: Male
yes


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Binaural
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:28 am 
Offline
User avatar
Johnny Guitar
 YIM  Profile

Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:14 am
Posts: 241
Gender: Male
cutuphalfdead wrote:
No, Yield is. But Binaural is pretty awesome and could have been the best.

_________________
I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.
Richard Dawkins


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Binaural the best PJ album?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:38 am 
Offline
Force of Nature
 Profile

Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:22 am
Posts: 735
Gender: Male
I became an immediate passionate fan shortly after the release of Binaural. I was a freshman in high school in early 1999 late 2000 when I bought my first Pearl Jam bootleg. I had never owned a previous Pearl Jam CD before this bootleg, I had only heard their top hits on the radio. I was also freshly a new guitarist who was learning how to play. I totally fell in love with PJ's music and discovered them through the Verona Italy 2000 bootleg. After repeatedly listening to the Verona bootleg I bought all of their studio albums Ten - Binaural in one purchase and listened to them all in full in order one afternoon over a few hours. It's really cool to look back upon that afternoon. So I heard many live 2000 versions of songs before I ever heard their studio version counterparts. Typing about it is making me nostalgic. haha Great times. Love Pearl Jam. I have a special attachment to Binaural because it was their newest album at that time and I loved the point that the band was at and the spacey, experimental and punk feel of the songs.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Binaural the best PJ album?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:01 am 
Offline
User avatar
$5 Donation Gets Custom Title
 Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 8:33 am
Posts: 17101
Yes.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Binaural the best PJ album?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:12 am 
Offline
User avatar
Founding Bitch
 Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:09 pm
Posts: 13868
Location: Norn Iron
I'd say Binaural is jostling around my top 3. It's a very interesting album.

_________________
Wilderness 1:49-2:04. Diamond Dust.

Window Washer's Dream - Planet Sonata's Intension


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Binaural the best PJ album?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:14 am 
Offline
User avatar
Got Some
 Profile

Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:01 pm
Posts: 2581
Location: Finland
Gender: Male
hell no


kp

_________________
I don't trust anyone who doesn't like Slayer - Mike Patton

*Winner 2008 Foo Fighters song tournament*
*Winner 2008 Seattle Big 4 song tournament*
*Winner 2010 1980s song tournament*
*Winner 2010 Animal tournament*

trades: http://db.etree.org/koopee


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Binaural the best PJ album?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:17 am 
Offline
User avatar
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:00 am
Posts: 16093
Location: dublin
Gender: Male
Irving wrote:
I became an immediate passionate fan shortly after the release of Binaural. I was a freshman in high school in early 1999 late 2000 when I bought my first Pearl Jam bootleg. I had never owned a previous Pearl Jam CD before this bootleg, I had only heard their top hits on the radio. I was also freshly a new guitarist who was learning how to play. I totally fell in love with PJ's music and discovered them through the Verona Italy 2000 bootleg. After repeatedly listening to the Verona bootleg I bought all of their studio albums Ten - Binaural in one purchase and listened to them all in full in order one afternoon over a few hours. It's really cool to look back upon that afternoon. So I heard many live 2000 versions of songs before I ever heard their studio version counterparts. Typing about it is making me nostalgic. haha Great times. Love Pearl Jam. I have a special attachment to Binaural because it was their newest album at that time and I loved the point that the band was at and the spacey, experimental and punk feel of the songs.



Now see that's a cool story, as well as other here..it's great hearing of people coming to Pj through alternative means, meaning not the typical ten route. For the Binaural haters I think it says a lot that so many people came to the band through Binaural. You don't hear as many of the same stories about No Code or even Yield..thanks for that Irving. Live is the best way to find them I believe and you just proved it. Verona was a great bootleg too :)

_________________
At the end of the day, it's night.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Binaural the best PJ album?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:19 am 
Offline
User avatar
Supersonic
 Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 2:46 am
Posts: 12953
Gender: Male
Well it's not my favorite album, that's all i can say about it.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Binaural the best PJ album?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:28 am 
Offline
User avatar
Red Mosquito, my libido
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:02 am
Posts: 91597
Location: Sector 7-G
dimejinky99 wrote:
Irving wrote:
I became an immediate passionate fan shortly after the release of Binaural. I was a freshman in high school in early 1999 late 2000 when I bought my first Pearl Jam bootleg. I had never owned a previous Pearl Jam CD before this bootleg, I had only heard their top hits on the radio. I was also freshly a new guitarist who was learning how to play. I totally fell in love with PJ's music and discovered them through the Verona Italy 2000 bootleg. After repeatedly listening to the Verona bootleg I bought all of their studio albums Ten - Binaural in one purchase and listened to them all in full in order one afternoon over a few hours. It's really cool to look back upon that afternoon. So I heard many live 2000 versions of songs before I ever heard their studio version counterparts. Typing about it is making me nostalgic. haha Great times. Love Pearl Jam. I have a special attachment to Binaural because it was their newest album at that time and I loved the point that the band was at and the spacey, experimental and punk feel of the songs.



Now see that's a cool story, as well as other here..it's great hearing of people coming to Pj through alternative means, meaning not the typical ten route. For the Binaural haters I think it says a lot that so many people came to the band through Binaural. You don't hear as many of the same stories about No Code or even Yield..thanks for that Irving. Live is the best way to find them I believe and you just proved it. Verona was a great bootleg too :)

I was also a freshman in high school when Binaural came out. But I got into the band 2-3 years earlier because my older sister made a mix tape for me that had Black on it. I fell in love with that song so I went out and bought ten. Fell in love with it so I bought vs/vitalogy/nocode. Fell in love with those and was hooked. While I was still digesting those ones Yield had come out, a few months after it came out I bought it and it instantly became my favorite.

Binaural was the first album that I scoured the net every day for more info on. Listening to the Bridge Benefit webcast in 1999 was one of the coolest things in the world at the time.

When the album finally came out I loved it so much that I proclaimed it as my favorite, but when the new album hysteria died down I realized there were a few things wrong with the album and that Yield was still my favorite. But Binaural has always been either my second or third favorite, depending on when you asked me.

_________________
It takes a big man to make a threat on the internet.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Binaural the best PJ album?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Got Some
 Profile

Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:19 am
Posts: 2405
can someone please tell me what this song means? resignate isn't even a word, as far as i know. is it another evolution is correct song? i just can't put it together. if someone could, line by line, even offer a decent interpretation, i'd appreciate it.

Gods' Dice lyrics

it's out of my hands, making your hands meet
stumble as it's crumbling out of reach
it's in the cards on destiny
your sanity in tow
designate my luck
ah resignate...
this power has no roots to guide, no role...
trust in rusted minds refused to go
unwillingness, it's meaningless to walk away in vain
designate my will
ah designate my fill
resignate
my will is crashing, synapses flashing slow
ah days like frame by frame, where do they go?
yeah why fight? forget it
cannot spend it after i go
roll 'em high...
throw them again...
all gods' dice...
monkey driven, call this living, hahah
ah too much thought, it's overwrought, a hole
minding yours, what's mine not yours
will finish us off
a-designate my life
ah designate my view
ah resignate my will, my will, my will, i will
resignate my god

_________________
Oh Chimpanzee That!
Monkey News


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Binaural the best PJ album?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Force of Nature
 Profile

Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:20 am
Posts: 762
inglishteecher wrote:
can someone please tell me what this song means? resignate isn't even a word, as far as i know. is it another evolution is correct song? i just can't put it together. if someone could, line by line, even offer a decent interpretation, i'd appreciate it.

Gods' Dice lyrics

it's out of my hands, making your hands meet
stumble as it's crumbling out of reach
it's in the cards on destiny
your sanity in tow
designate my luck
ah resignate...
this power has no roots to guide, no role...
trust in rusted minds refused to go
unwillingness, it's meaningless to walk away in vain
designate my will
ah designate my fill
resignate
my will is crashing, synapses flashing slow
ah days like frame by frame, where do they go?
yeah why fight? forget it
cannot spend it after i go
roll 'em high...
throw them again...
all gods' dice...
monkey driven, call this living, hahah
ah too much thought, it's overwrought, a hole
minding yours, what's mine not yours
will finish us off
a-designate my life
ah designate my view
ah resignate my will, my will, my will, i will
resignate my god


This is what Jeff said about the song:

"That came out of kind of a conversation with somebody who's a pretty hardcore Greek Orthodox Catholic...I think I've been walking that line for a long time whether do I believe in God or am I my own God or where am I in that whole scheme of things. I think it has a lot to do about judgment. I'm still trying to figure out what that song's about...but judging anybody who has any sort of belief system whether they believe in God or not."

link: http://www.sonymusic.com/artists/PearlJ ... oes9a.html

_________________
I want for to lay down. Nothing for to say.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Binaural the best PJ album?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:16 pm 
Offline
Force of Nature
 Profile

Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:22 am
Posts: 735
Gender: Male
StoneIrons wrote:
inglishteecher wrote:
can someone please tell me what this song means? resignate isn't even a word, as far as i know. is it another evolution is correct song? i just can't put it together. if someone could, line by line, even offer a decent interpretation, i'd appreciate it.

Gods' Dice lyrics

it's out of my hands, making your hands meet
stumble as it's crumbling out of reach
it's in the cards on destiny
your sanity in tow
designate my luck
ah resignate...
this power has no roots to guide, no role...
trust in rusted minds refused to go
unwillingness, it's meaningless to walk away in vain
designate my will
ah designate my fill
resignate
my will is crashing, synapses flashing slow
ah days like frame by frame, where do they go?
yeah why fight? forget it
cannot spend it after i go
roll 'em high...
throw them again...
all gods' dice...
monkey driven, call this living, hahah
ah too much thought, it's overwrought, a hole
minding yours, what's mine not yours
will finish us off
a-designate my life
ah designate my view
ah resignate my will, my will, my will, i will
resignate my god


This is what Jeff said about the song:

"That came out of kind of a conversation with somebody who's a pretty hardcore Greek Orthodox Catholic...I think I've been walking that line for a long time whether do I believe in God or am I my own God or where am I in that whole scheme of things. I think it has a lot to do about judgment. I'm still trying to figure out what that song's about...but judging anybody who has any sort of belief system whether they believe in God or not."

link: http://www.sonymusic.com/artists/PearlJ ... oes9a.html


I assume that the title and some of the meaning comes from the Einstein quote that says something like "God does not play dice with the universe". Seems to be about whether or not everything that happens is scripted and organized or if it is all chaos that is totally out of everybody's hands.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 313 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:56 pm