Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Rate Soon Forget
5 Stars: High Rise Rent 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
4 Stars: Corvette 37%  37%  [ 24 ]
3 Stars: Benjamins 32%  32%  [ 21 ]
2 Stars: The mechanic 12%  12%  [ 8 ]
1 Star: What's missing 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
0 Stars: He's stiffining... 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 64
 Post subject: Re: SOTM#145: That's One More Time Around...
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:21 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

bmacsmith wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
I think a lot of people here just think "hypocrisy" means something it doesn't.
To change your stances over a 10-year period is not hypocritical.

i agree but it seemed like it happened really quick. like they did a 180 all of a sudden. i wonder what brought on that decision. maybe the documentary will shed some light on it.

Theyve stated that this attempt...was to gain more control over their music than they had with Sony. The target thing is/was an experiment and their ultimate goal since they busted on the scene was to have control over their music. I think they are doing a hell of a job

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:24 pm 
Team Binaural
 WWW  Profile

62strat wrote:
bmacsmith wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

i agree but it seemed like it happened really quick. like they did a 180 all of a sudden. i wonder what brought on that decision. maybe the documentary will shed some light on it.

Theyve stated that this attempt...was to gain more control over their music than they had with Sony. The target thing is/was an experiment and their ultimate goal since they busted on the scene was to have control over their music. I think they are doing a hell of a job

If them having more control means releasing S/T and Backspacer instead of Yield and Binaural, I wish they let their music under other people's control (whatever that actually may mean) :?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:24 pm 
Unthought Known

BadMusic wrote:
62strat wrote:
bmacsmith wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

If them having more control means releasing S/T and Backspacer instead of Yield and Binaural, I wish they let their music under other people's control (whatever that actually may mean) :?

you bring up a hell of a point.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:28 pm 
Unthought Known

62strat wrote:
bmacsmith wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

i was reffering to a few different things, like touring, Eddie's attitude, their music, and Target. it all changed just a few years ago, around ST i guess.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:47 pm 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

dkfan9 wrote:
Buffalohed wrote:
I thought this thread was about The Day I Tried To Live.

that's the song that plays in my head every time i read the topic title

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:49 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

bmacsmith wrote:
62strat wrote:
bmacsmith wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

i was reffering to a few different things, like touring, Eddie's attitude, their music, and Target. it all changed just a few years ago, around ST i guess.

Half his career he was mocked for being a pissed off whiney rockstar

Now he's happy and some of his fans dont like that either.

I think he just realized what he had. "hey, i get to drink on stage in front of 20,000 people, make an ass of myself, crank the guitar and rock out"

Couldnt get much better than that.

Id be pretty happy too once I got over myself. Which i think he finally did. Just my opinion.

I think it was in the most recent ROlling Stone article, possibly Spin...where he mentions "we spent half of our career sabotaging ourselves, so forgive us if we try to enjoy it right now"

Kudos to them.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:38 pm 
Unthought Known

There was a time where I loved this song and would have given it a four, but these days I cant go higher than a three, there just isnt enough there for me to go higher.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:21 am 
Global Moderator

bmacsmith wrote:
62strat wrote:
bmacsmith wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

that's when they were no longer affiliated with a label. This shouldn't be suprising.

The perfect gift for certain occasions

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:43 am 
Unthought Known

stip wrote:
bmacsmith wrote:
62strat wrote:
bmacsmith wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

that's when they were no longer affiliated with a label. This shouldn't be suprising.

was it really so terrible for them, though? like goofy hippy Eddie was dying to come out, but the label was so terrible to them it made him so angry.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:38 am 
Force of Nature

I'd love to see this done storytellers style.

Eddie: "I wrote this one about myself"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:52 am 
Force of Nature

What did fans in 1998 think when they started making music videos again, doing media appearances, and using Ticketmaster?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:04 am 
Force of Nature

StoneIrons wrote:
What did fans in 1998 think when they started making music videos again, doing media appearances, and using Ticketmaster?

1998-2000 very limited Media, Videos did not include band members, and TM was a necessary evil.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:15 am 
Force of Nature

stranger34 wrote:
StoneIrons wrote:

1998-2000 very limited Media, Videos did not include band members, and TM was a necessary evil.

But, could it have been seen as hypocritical just based on their stances from only a year before?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:23 am 
Force of Nature

StoneIrons wrote:
stranger34 wrote:
StoneIrons wrote:

But, could it have been seen as hypocritical just based on their stances from only a year before?

I suppose it could be taken as mild hypocrisy, but they were still pretty much extremists within the industry... so they moved from Che Guevara to Fidel Castro... big deal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:28 am 
Unthought Known

StoneIrons wrote:

i barely noticed.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:44 am 
Global Moderator

i'm not sure fans liked the no video policy. I was thrilled when they got rid of that. And the no code tour was a pita, so the ticketmaster thing was just more convienent.

The perfect gift for certain occasions

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:17 pm 
Got Some

StoneIrons wrote:

DTE was sweet, SVT was phenomenal, actually getting tickets was a joy and LO2L was tits.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:52 pm 
Force of Nature

Can't tell if this song is meant to be a humorous observation on society or a sad reflection on the rat race, kinda like in the same vein as Sleight of Hand. Either way I like it a lot. And it does make me sad. I usually hate the uke sound, but I really do like it here (although I wish to god that I had a version of this song that was on acoustic guitar rather than uke)
Been kinda sad an reflective lately, thinking about life... this song kinda makes me take a step back and take a deep breath and look for a sign that it's gonna be okay.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:48 pm 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

the day i tr... oh wait

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:52 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Always liked this cos of it's unique novelty value in their catalogue. Don't know if Binaural could have been better had Fatal or something on there in its place, but it'd sound wrong now without it. Always liked it, never sure why. 4 stars.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam