Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Pearl Jam and drugs.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:58 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

You know, I think the most amazingly creative time for Pearl Jam was 1998-2002ish. I remember reading somewhere that Ed was taking lots of Ecstasy at the time. Think now that they're all family men that they've put all that bullshit behind them? I know correlation does not imply causation but does this have anything to do with the quality of songs that we got from that time period? Don't think of Binaural as the album, think of it as the recording sessions and the amazing songs that resulted.

Mods: I know with this thread title it'll probably cause you to hover over the lock button, but this is actually a series querie.

Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam and drugs.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:16 pm 
Stone's Bitch
 WWW  Profile

If it's comforting you: in 2007 at Werchter Ed still talked about the pills from Josh Homme, who was also there. Personally, I think he's creative enough to not need any drugs. And the rest of the band too.

groetjes,
Mirella :)

93 Rdm2x 96 D L2x Ber Gro Ams Par Zür 00 L2x D Gla Man Car Par Pin Pra Kat2x Sal Lju Ver Ber Ham Ros L 01 BSB2x Sea2x 06 D Arn Ant Bern Bol Ver Mil Tor Pis Pra Ber Vie Zag 07 L Düs Nij Wer 09 L Rdm Ber Man L 10 D Belf L Ber 12 Am2x EV:Am2x

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:29 pm 
Global Moderator

those sessions also produced a lot of shit songs, so the question becomes was he on or off them when he wrote leatherman or hitchhiker

The perfect gift for certain occasions

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:29 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

Mirella wrote:
If it's comforting you: in 2007 at Werchter Ed still talked about the pills from Josh Homme, who was also there. Personally, I think he's creative enough to not need any drugs. And the rest of the band too.

groetjes,
Mirella :)

I don't think they're not creative enough to need drugs, I just find it interesting that what I consider to be the most creative period for the band came at the same time that Ed was rollin' all the time.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:31 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

stip wrote:
those sessions also produced a lot of shit songs, so the question becomes was he on or off them when he wrote leatherman or hitchhiker

This is true. Let us not forget "U".

I like hitchhiker actually. The version from that Lost Dogs demo compilation was kind of cool. It was slowed down and sounded sort of "jam band"-ish, which though the song isn't THAT great compared to the other material of the time, still has reflections of drug use methinks. That version is very earthy and hippy-ish.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:31 pm 
Unthought Known

I have no problem with any of the guys in PJ taking drugs, or writing music high, or whatever, but one thing I always thought seperated PJ from their peers in 90's alt rock(AIC, Nirvana especially) was there wasnt a reliance on drugs or a worry that someone in the band could drop dead at anytime from an overdose(McCready's trips to rehab aside.)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:36 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

mick7184 wrote:
I have no problem with any of the guys in PJ taking drugs, or writing music high, or whatever, but one thing I always thought seperated PJ from their peers in 90's alt rock(AIC, Nirvana especially) was there wasnt a reliance on drugs or a worry that someone in the band could drop dead at anytime from an overdose(McCready's trips to rehab aside.)

Well that right there is the difference between heroin and ecstasy.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:39 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

cutuphalfdead wrote:
mick7184 wrote:

in the "banter between bands" stone and josh hmmes..they talk about some thing josh and ed snorted..some sort of natural drug or something....

i really think creativity is pushed to the background with the use of drugs. True creativity comes from a clear still mind.

Just my opinion.

I think Mike was the only one fucked up during the binaural period, and he didnt do shit for writing so...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:40 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

62strat wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
mick7184 wrote:

in the "banter between bands" stone and josh hmmes..they talk about some thing josh and ed snorted..some sort of natural drug or something....

i really think creativity is pushed to the background with the use of drugs. True creativity comes from a clear still mind.

Just my opinion.

I think Mike was the only one fucked up during the binaural period, and he didnt do shit for writing so...

Ed was taking ecstasy. I don't have the article to prove it but I distinctly remember reading him say it in an interview.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:41 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

62strat wrote:

Just my opinion.

See I don't think you can really make blanket statements like this, because drugs do different things to different people.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:42 pm 
AnalLog

cutuphalfdead wrote:
mick7184 wrote:

whats the difference? ecstasy is addictive, can kill you and has opiates in it.

i would still like to hear the techno music ed said he made on E

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:45 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

warehouse wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
mick7184 wrote:

i would still like to hear the techno music ed said he made on E

I'm thinking ed was taking pure MDMA, and not your street ecstasy that's cut with all the other bullshit that really kills you.

I'm not trying to belittle the effects of other hard, psychoactive drugs, but NO ONE does heroin regularly and comes out ok from it. People do that with ecstasy and hallucinagens fairly often. Not saying that people dont die or fuck up their lives completely with those drugs too, but not to the extent of heroin.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:46 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

and yeah, he did mention makingsome techno music in that same interview. that'd be hilarious to hear.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:48 pm 
AnalLog

cutuphalfdead wrote:
and yeah, he did mention makingsome techno music in that same interview. that'd be hilarious to hear.

i know the interview was a while ago, but i thought he implied that was the only music he made while rolling

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:50 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

warehouse wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

i know the interview was a while ago, but i thought he implied that was the only music he made while rolling

That coule very well be true. I've never taken ecstasy, but I've taken lots of other hallucinagens and the thing with them is, even when they've worn off they still leave you in this semi tripped out mind state. So if he was rolling regularly during this time period, it was affecting the way he thought and probably therefor the way he wrote during that time period.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:04 pm 
Unthought Known

I'm sure they've all smoked pot to an extent. Eddie said he quit after Roskilde, but apparently was high at a recent solo gig. And then everyone was speculating Jeff was up to no good when he got mugged with so much money on him.

I totally agree how fucked up it'd be to hear the bad techno music Eddie created while on ecstasy. That stuff should probably stay locked up in the vault. At least for now.

In that conversation with Stone & Josh Homme that the fan club released, Josh got Eddie to snort something mixed with cayan pepper. It was a few years ago and maybe I misread it, but I always thought Josh had played a trick on Eddie. I thought it wasn't a drug, just a gag to get Eddie to do something to make him look stupid.

"Remember back the early days when you were young and thus amazed."

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:08 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

How do you know the techno music is bad?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:08 pm 
Force of Nature

warehouse wrote:

with that kind of disinformation, i have to ask if you work for the DEA?

I'm surprised you didn't also say that it piles up in your spine and turns you gay.

Last edited by laruanib.sv on Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:09 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

lol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:16 pm 
AnalLog

laruanib.sv wrote:
warehouse wrote:

with that kind of disinformation, i have to ask if you work for the DEA?

I'm surprised you didn't also say that it piles up in your spine and turns you gay.

are we differentiating between ecstasy and straight mdma?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam