Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2925 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 147  Next
 Post subject: Re: Eddie solo uke album
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:30 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah
 WWW  Profile

blkfrncsno13 wrote:
And, by the way, golf is a sport.

:thumbsup: LOL. I have to remember that one.

support public radio http://www.wtmd.org/index.html

AHOF Lifetime Achievement Honoree

May there be an ever after, after all.

I won’t call you surely, if you forget I have a drinking problem

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:15 am 
Stone's Bitch

Yes please.

Longing To Belong is my favorite, but they're all charming.

Again, these songs are all much more heartfelt than a man in his 40s screaming in my face.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:18 am 
Banned from the Pit

love what you say, Alessiana! You say what I want to say, only better. And you rip away at the default cynicism.

These '02 songs are gems and some of the best things to come from EV, ever. Rip your heart out, indeed.
Have a particular fondness for 'Longing to Belong' as it takes a big man to put himself in such a vulnerable stance.
and it's really beautiful! the uke and violin together are simply stunning!

Good to hear a discussion about these songs, cause they shouldn't get lost in the shuffle. An official, pristine release would only be a dream come true.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:23 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

To me, Longing To Belong is the benchmark for fantastic ukulele songs. The lyrics are felt and touching, and the structure/chord progressions combined with the melody are unbelievable. And it all seems so natural and effortless for Ed. The fucker. I've been trying and failing for a couple of years on my uke to write something half as good as this song.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:44 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah
 WWW  Profile

Blackbird wrote:
love what you say, Alessiana! You say what I want to say, only better. And you rip away at the default cynicism.

These '02 songs are gems and some of the best things to come from EV, ever. Rip your heart out, indeed.
Have a particular fondness for 'Longing to Belong' as it takes a big man to put himself in such a vulnerable stance.

Good to hear a discussion about these songs, cause they shouldn't get lost in the shuffle. An official, pristine release would only be a dream come true.

I have no idea what I said but thanks. A lot of what I write seems ... obscure? Hard to understand? I use adjectives as nouns at times and don't give a fuck, then there are the times I post when I leave entire phrases out, or put them at the end when they needed to be in the middle because I am so fucking high, it makes perfect sense to me. So ok.

Longing to Belong is one of the most beautiful things I have heard in my life. This is so fuckingly simple and pure, it tears you to shreds and you do not need its words for this effect.

This song and others like it on various instruments, including those of faster tempo with their multiple lines of rhythm guitar parts and slashing/rising only to cascade chords, and how he constructs these complex pieces, is why I think this man is one of our great geniuses. He is overlooked as a songwriter and over appreciated as a front man. He is overlooked as a pure musician because he is too highly esteemed as a lyricist, and aside from some people here and I'm sure on the other board, no one seems to understand what he does with someone else's musical idea.

I think he's a pure musician. Skills on any particular instrument are completely irrelevant to people like this. His musicality helps his poetry, but because he is one thing more than the other, he may have an off line but he never has an off musical phrase.

In my opinion.

So while this man did not have the benefit of conservatory training like Spencer Krug or classical training like Steve Wilson, this autodidact is the bees-fucking-knees of rock.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:47 pm 
On the bright side

Alessiana wrote:
Blackbird wrote:

I have no idea what I said but thanks. A lot of what I write seems ... obscure? Hard to understand? I use adjectives as nouns at times and don't give a fuck, then there are the times I post when I leave entire phrases out, or put them at the end when they needed to be in the middle because I am so fucking high, it makes perfect sense to me. So ok.

Longing to Belong is one of the most beautiful things I have heard in my life. This is so fuckingly simple and pure, it tears you to shreds and you do not need its words for this effect.

This song and others like it on various instruments, including those of faster tempo with their multiple lines of rhythm guitar parts and slashing/rising only to cascade chords, and how he constructs these complex pieces, is why I think this man is one of our great geniuses. He is overlooked as a songwriter and over appreciated as a front man. He is overlooked as a pure musician because he is too highly esteemed as a lyricist, and aside from some people here and I'm sure on the other board, no one seems to understand what he does with someone else's musical idea.

I think he's a pure musician. Skills on any particular instrument are completely irrelevant to people like this. His musicality helps his poetry, but because he is one thing more than the other, he may have an off line but he never has an off musical phrase.

In my opinion.

So while this man did not have the benefit of conservatory training like Spencer Krug or classical training like Steve Wilson, this autodidact is the bees-fucking-knees of rock.

Wow. Very well said!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:58 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah
 WWW  Profile

iceagecoming wrote:
To me, Longing To Belong is the benchmark for fantastic ukulele songs. The lyrics are felt and touching, and the structure/chord progressions combined with the melody are unbelievable. And it all seems so natural and effortless for Ed. The fucker. I've been trying and failing for a couple of years on my uke to write something half as good as this song.

You are one of the finest poets on this board.

Lampshade light may split its effect on floating moats in the air, but written words remain clear to tease, and cause you to track back, searching. You are left wanting more. These words written on scraps of paper while riding buses through London pass inspection in the incandescent light of my living room in Baltimore. Please send more.

You are also a painter and a musician. And what I heard, I loved

I am certain that what you have done with the uke, passes inspection, although YOU probably don't realize it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:46 am 
Stone's Bitch

iceagecoming wrote:

Do you have any idea which tunings he tends to use? The reason I ask is that I kind of, sort of, feel like picking the Uke up on the side and I think that trying out Ed's songs might motivate me the way learning Pearl Jam songs did on guitar.

That aside, I listened to some of the solo tour recordings today and:

bodysnatcher wrote:
Keep is a perfect example of me thinking that the uke songs are just sketches rather than finished paintings.

...I tend to disagree with that notion because Broken Hearted sounds a ton better when he plays it on the Uke rather than a guitar. I know that really doesn't show that it wouldn't be better in full band glory, but man, I get chills when I hear that song from Baltimore.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:09 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Education wrote:
iceagecoming wrote:

Do you have any idea which tunings he tends to use? The reason I ask is that I kind of, sort of, feel like picking the Uke up on the side and I think that trying out Ed's songs might motivate me the way learning Pearl Jam songs did on guitar.

That aside, I listened to some of the solo tour recordings today and:

bodysnatcher wrote:
Keep is a perfect example of me thinking that the uke songs are just sketches rather than finished paintings.

...I tend to disagree with that notion because Broken Hearted sounds a ton better when he plays it on the Uke rather than a guitar. I know that really doesn't show that it wouldn't be better in full band glory, but man, I get chills when I hear that song from Baltimore.

I also agree that Broken Hearted sounds better on the ukulele. But I do prefer the full band version of Can't Keep, though I love the song in any form, I think a band carries it better.

Ed uses normal uke tunings for his live performances. That is G-C-E-A. If you want to practice some on your guitar, you can use a capo at the 5th fret, and it's all relative if you play the highest 4 strings. The only slight difference is that the G is an octave higher on a ukulele, but that shouldn't affect the sound of the chords you play, it just might mean that some of the picking patterns sound different if you're using all 4 strings. On studio recordings Ed has been known to tune down a little, sometimes half a step - I know the Goodbye's studio recording is a little lower, and I think Soon Forget may be too. He's also played Soon Forget a tone lower live, and maybe Blue, Red and Grey also.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:03 pm 
Banned from the Pit

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Buby wrote:
62strat wrote:
todd-o wrote:
where can i find this 'can't keep' studio uke recording? for some reason, i've never heard it and now really want to!

theres notone out there, not sure where you got that idea?

They are speaking about the beneroya hall version

"Goodbye" has been released and was on some comilation, i forgot which one. i have it somewhere.

A uke version of "can't keep" from "burn to shine" was floating around somewhere. Pretty close to a studio version imo. Here's the video, I don't have this one on mp3.

here's a rip, mp3 320kb/s stereo 44.1khz sample rate
http://www.sendspace.com/file/eifxxj

thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:19 am 
Stone's Bitch

iceagecoming wrote:
I also agree that Broken Hearted sounds better on the ukulele. But I do prefer the full band version of Can't Keep, though I love the song in any form, I think a band carries it better.

Ed uses normal uke tunings for his live performances. That is G-C-E-A. If you want to practice some on your guitar, you can use a capo at the 5th fret, and it's all relative if you play the highest 4 strings. The only slight difference is that the G is an octave higher on a ukulele, but that shouldn't affect the sound of the chords you play, it just might mean that some of the picking patterns sound different if you're using all 4 strings. On studio recordings Ed has been known to tune down a little, sometimes half a step - I know the Goodbye's studio recording is a little lower, and I think Soon Forget may be too. He's also played Soon Forget a tone lower live, and maybe Blue, Red and Grey also.

Wow, when I reviewed this thread I completely missed all of your help the first time around. I appreciate it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:41 am 
Coast to Coast

I got to this thread way too late to point out exactly how much better an instrument I think the banjo is than the ukelele. I play both, by the way.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:02 am 
On the bright side

theplatypus wrote:
I got to this thread way too late to point out exactly how much better an instrument I think the banjo is than the ukelele. I play both, by the way.

The question is, would you rather hear EV doing solo songs on the uke, or do you think that it would sound better on the banjo... I think that even if it were true that the banjo is a "better" instrument, an EV solo uke album would be waaaay better than an EV solo banjo album. Although "Soon Forget" might make an interesting play on the banjo.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:15 am 
Coast to Coast

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

The question is, would you rather hear EV doing solo songs on the uke, or do you think that it would sound better on the banjo... I think that even if it were true that the banjo is a "better" instrument, an EV solo uke album would be waaaay better than an EV solo banjo album. Although "Soon Forget" might make an interesting play on the banjo.

Oh, I agree. I was just responding to this ridiculous comment:
blkfrncsno13 wrote:
you don't like the way it sounds? Come on. It's not a banjo. Have some culture. Open your mind up

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:53 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah
 WWW  Profile

as nice as a uke album would be, i'd like to request an all and any instruments approach. whatever fits the new songs, use it.

this is the open request line right? i am in the right place i hope. oh yes, all new songs pleeeeze.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:34 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Speaking of Ed and ukuleles, does anyone know where I can find a larger version of this:

?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:05 am 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Ed's radio interview transcribed...this is From the Pit
whole thing here...
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NJWUWDD0

Eddie Vedder notes from the interview:

"I'm just a guy in a hotel room with my friend Keith Moreland. Its about being around the guys I grew up watching. Knowing them and having them as friends is inspiring. When you are dedicated as a young kid to something you know someone as a a jersey and a number the get to know them. That is great."

They asked my question:
When and where is the Festival:
Ed said "I'll get your number and call you when I know. I don't know."

Talked about the film later this year. They are excited to make new music soon. Will crash if they continue to look in the rearviewmirror.

Keith asked Ed to strum guitar. Mentions ukelele. Was given one as a child. Has a bunch of songs.
Played three uke songs for Keith last night.

Trying to put together a ukelele album for release soon!!!!!!!

Played some guitar: just breathe snippet

Talked about coming to visit Keith in Austin.

Keith said the band has stuff ready and fixing to get back in the studio after Ed's tour.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:14 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

This is awesome news. I was predicting it would surface on the Riot Act reissue, but if it gets a more fleshed out, earlier release I'll be down with that.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:56 pm 
On the bright side

So if they are getting back in the studio after Ed's tour, probably won't be until early next year at the least until a new album?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:22 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Well that was gonna be the case anyways wasnt it? it was always gonna be sooner rather than later..though a PJ release this year, of all years, would have been amazing. Or really cash-in corny..i cant decide which

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2925 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 147  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam