Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gonna See My Friend
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:00 pm 
Cameron's Stallion

good opener. indeed i think the album opens up quite strong, great energy to it but then it hits a brick wall with Just Breathe. Good song but I think it would have been better placed towards the end.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:55 pm 
Banned from the Pit

This sounds nothing like STP to me.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:45 pm 
Banned from the Pit
 WWW  Profile

Mirella wrote:
yes, so can I. It's that low voice, maybe. Anyway, I *love* this song. Listening to the album I don't get far because I want to play this one on repeat. It has definately what appealed me to 'grunge', maybe even something 'hair band'.. And the best: it's instant happiness and energy. Amazing how they have been able to catch that in a song.

groetjes,
Mirella :)

Yeah, I almost wish they hadn't put it first. Makes the rest of the album less satisfying.

I suspect more people will warm to this song once their initial "this sounds like grunge/STP" reaction wears off.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:09 am 
Banned from the Pit

This song didn't do much for me at first, but it's starting to grow on me. It still reminds me of No. 4 era STP to me though.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:37 pm 
Global Moderator

i really like the bight opening guitar part

And they're subtle, but Stone's background vocals on this one fill the song out nicely too

The perfect gift for certain occasions

Post subject: It has to be said....
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:12 pm 
Johnny Guitar

Gonna See My Friend f*cking rocks!!! It hit me like a tonne of bricks last night driving home from work.

I think this might be one of the best hard rock tunes I've heard in the last decade. I think I underrated how great this song is and I believe that it should be their second single now. I'm totally blown away by that tune...dare I say, the best opener of any of their albums to date? I know I'll catch some flak for saying that but this song is mind blowing.

Post subject: Re: It has to be said....
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:17 pm 
The Snowboy

Every song on this album should be the second single. Except for The Fixer, which was the first.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:28 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah
 WWW  Profile

Whoop!

This shit totally rocks.

support public radio http://www.wtmd.org/index.html

AHOF Lifetime Achievement Honoree

May there be an ever after, after all.

I won’t call you surely, if you forget I have a drinking problem

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:22 pm 
Got Some

Alessiana wrote:
Whoop!

This shit totally rocks.

I don't know if you already mentioned this, but Ed does a similar 'Whoop' in Hail, Hail.....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:37 pm 
Johnny Guitar

pjfanman wrote:
Gonna See My Friend f*cking rocks!!! It hit me like a tonne of bricks last night driving home from work.

I think this might be one of the best hard rock tunes I've heard in the last decade. I think I underrated how great this song is and I believe that it should be their second single now. I'm totally blown away by that tune...dare I say, the best opener of any of their albums to date? I know I'll catch some flak for saying that but this song is mind blowing.

Yeah man the song really hits you when you're gunning it down the freeway! It's awsome.

I don't know if I'm the only one but this song reminded me alot of Breakerfall. I always kinda liked Breakerfall, but now I went back to listen to it after GSMF, and now I fucking love it. Breakerfall fucking rocks hard, and GSMF and Breakerfall complement each other really well on a mixtape.

EDIT: It also made me go back and listen to Gods Dice, a song that I never gave a chance to. It also rocks hard. GSMF is in a similar style to Binaural songs like Grievance, Breakerfall and Gods Dice, and GSMF being so good, increased my appreciation for those others songs.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:50 pm 
Force of Nature
 WWW  YIM  Profile

i would love this song...if it had different verses musically. the intro is cool, the chorus and bridge are great, but the verses sound like a rehashed mish mash of black,red,yellow and all night to me.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:58 pm 
Got Some

I enjoy the intensity and playing on this song. The chorus just kills it for me though. Makes me cringe. Truly hope the song grows on me, and it may. But for now it's a tie between this and Life Wasted for worst opening track on a PJ album.

The rest of the album makes up for it....barring Just Breathe and Supersonic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:00 pm 
Johnny Guitar

deep wrote:
I enjoy the intensity and playing on this song. The chorus just kills it for me though. Makes me cringe. Truly hope the song grows on me, and it may. But for now it's a tie between this and Life Wasted for worst opening track on a PJ album.

The rest of the album makes up for it....barring Just Breathe and Supersonic

Dont think about it so much. Why Cringe? IM GONNA SEE MY FRIEND!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:11 pm 
Johnny Guitar

dannyschmanny wrote:
i would love this song...if it had different verses musically. the intro is cool, the chorus and bridge are great, but the verses sound like a rehashed mish mash of black,red,yellow and all night to me.

The verses are the best part of the song...nothing like black red yelow...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:55 pm 
Unthought Known

i think it would make a good single too.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:58 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah
 WWW  Profile

Iowaska_Experience wrote:
Alessiana wrote:
Whoop!

This shit totally rocks.

I don't know if you already mentioned this, but Ed does a similar 'Whoop' in Hail, Hail.....

Hail, Hail does things to me, that even I can't write about.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:03 pm 
Banned from the Pit

VindicatorZ wrote:
pjfanman wrote:

Yeah man the song really hits you when you're gunning it down the freeway! It's awsome.

I don't know if I'm the only one but this song reminded me alot of Breakerfall. I always kinda liked Breakerfall, but now I went back to listen to it after GSMF, and now I fucking love it. Breakerfall fucking rocks hard, and GSMF and Breakerfall complement each other really well on a mixtape.

EDIT: It also made me go back and listen to Gods Dice, a song that I never gave a chance to. It also rocks hard. GSMF is in a similar style to Binaural songs like Grievance, Breakerfall and Gods Dice, and GSMF being so good, increased my appreciation for those others songs.

I think this song takes a huge dump on breakerfall and gods dice. I hardly listen to binuaral cause those opening 3 songs just kill it for me. Gonna See My Friend rocks hard and Eddie sounds awesome, breakerfall and gods dice sound like bsides to me.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:52 pm 
On the bright side

I'm seeing them live in less than a week, but I can't get past GSMF. I keep listening to that one, when I should be listening to the others more so I know the songs. I hope they open one of the shows I'm at with this song!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:01 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah
 WWW  Profile

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
I'm seeing them live in less than a week, but I can't get past GSMF. I keep listening to that one, when I should be listening to the others more so I know the songs. I hope they open one of the shows I'm at with this song!

Whoop!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:07 am 
Johnny Guitar

Quote:
I think this song takes a huge dump on breakerfall and gods dice. I hardly listen to binuaral cause those opening 3 songs just kill it for me. Gonna See My Friend rocks hard and Eddie sounds awesome, breakerfall and gods dice sound like bsides to me.

I think GSMF is the better song . But man, Binaural is my favorite album, and I NEVER listen to God's Dice, Breakerfall or Evacuation. I mean, I always thought they were ok, but whatever songs, before the rest of the album gets awsome.

But GSMF made me go back and listen to Breakerfall and I can't believe how much it rocks. There's awsome bass, drum work, and awsome solo'ing in the end. It's a really good song, and GSMF resembles it in alot of ways, especially the intro.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam