Rate Man of the Hour
5 Stars: Tidal waves don't beg forgivness 47%  47%  [ 40 ]
4 Stars: Gospel from the land 38%  38%  [ 32 ]
3 Stars: A snowflake falls in may 7%  7%  [ 6 ]
2 Stars: Rusted sign 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
1 Star: Broken Seams 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
0 Stars: Terrible, just terrible 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 84
 Post subject: SOTM#119:Goodbye for now....
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:43 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Man of the Hour

Tidal waves don't beg forgiveness
Crashed, then on their way
Father he enjoyed collisions;
Others walked away
A snowflake falls in May.

And the doors are open now
As the bells are ringing out
Cause the man of the hour is taking his final bow
Goodbye for now.

Nature as its own religion;
Gospel from the land
Father ruled by long division,
Young men they pretend
Old men comprehend.

And the sky breaks at dawn
Shedding light upon this town
They'll all come around
Cause the man of the hour is taking his final bow
Goodbye for now.

And the road
The old man paved
The broken seams along the way
The rusted signs, left just for me
He was guiding me, love, his own way
Now the man of the hour is taking his final bow
As the curtain comes down
I feel that this is just goodbye for now

I’m not sure that I can write objectively about this tune because it’s come to have such personal significance for me. Needless to say, I love it. It’s tender, poignant, moving the way that only music can be.

The lyrics are beautiful. The expression of love and affection for a father whose presence was tumultuous is delicately drawn with sharply defined imagery. In particular, I’m fond of this image:

Tidal waves don't beg forgiveness
Crashed, then on their way

with its implication that the father was unaware of the turmoil left in his wake. The lyrics also incorporate the larger idea that the essence of what we are continues despite the death of our bodies. I love these lines:

Now the man of the hour is taking his final bow
As the curtain comes down
I feel that this is just goodbye for now.

I love the addition of the words, “I feel.” We don’t know the truth of what lies beyond this world. All that is important is how we feel about it in this lifetime.

How these ideas are complemented by the music is interesting. The song distills down the essence of EV as a songwriter while still sounding unique in the Pearl Jam canon. Within the first five notes it’s clear that this is an EV tune. It’s so simple that you wonder why someone didn’t write this tune already. Initially, it could be the ostinato-style riffing pattern that he favors, but instead this pattern is developed into a complete melody that resolves itself in the final phrase. The intro is the complete verse melody with evocative bass underscoring the roots of the chords.

One of the characteristics of EV’s songwriting is the repetition of themes with the layering on of either overlapping themes or multiplication of the main theme, with or without the addition of harmonies. Instead of a short motif, in MOTH the fully developed melody is reiterated five times, twice with vocals. Yet this doesn’t feel monotonous, partially because of the unusually vigorous rhythmic cadence of the verse melody (for a ballad), the addition of backing vocals, percussion and slide accents at various points and a key change at the bridge.

The bridge has a more traditional melody, and we are given all of the drama that Eddie can conjure by allowing his voice to ring in long, emotive passages; however, the forward momentum of the song is not diminished because under the sustained notes, Matt completes the rhythmic cadence specified in the verse melody. This enhances the drama while undercutting the schmaltz so often found in power ballads.

Anyway, I can’t say more than, whatever the intended effect of this song, it worked on me. 4 stars.

Post subject: Re: SOTM#119:Goodbye for now....
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:55 pm 
Global Moderator

Man of the Hour was an incredibly moving song the first time I heard it (I'm pretty sure I teared up) and if it catches me in the right moment it can still do that. The sentiment is wonderful, the lyrics evocative, the delivery delicate and wistful.

Most of the time.

I also think man of the hour falls victim to the same slap dashed one shot faux authenticity vibe that hurt so many of the songs of the riot act era. It is obvious that eddie was very moved by Big Fish, that he had johnny ramone or other issues on his mind, and wanted to write a song that dealt with those issues, but in his rush to get those feelings out we're left with a final product that is much more hit or miss than it needs to be.

Vocally there are never really any moments in the studio here where Eddie's voice lifts itself out of the fog that it inhabits for most of the song--especially during the bridge "and the road..." It's a moment where he should be rising above his memories to commune with the father figure in some way and he stays right where he's been during the rest of the song. It's a mistake I think he realized as he sings this part much more effectively live than in the studio. You also get a sense of this in the Hawaii 78 song from the 06 tour. It was ensign9 I think who described that song as what man of the hour was supposed to sound like, and he's absolutley right.

Musically Eddie came up wtih a very compelling riff to drive the song, but the band adds very little to it, and in many places (starting with nature has its own religion, the bridge again) it sounds like they are working against the song--struggling to include their instrument so that they are heard rather than doing what needs to be done in service of the song. it ends up being distracting, rather than coloring the song.

Lyrically Man of the Hour is also hit or miss, although mostly hit. There are some absolutley gorgeous lines here. The opening lyric is just outstanding (you just get an immediate sense of the power of the father's personality, and the subject starts grappling with important questions of forgiveness and acceptance in oblique but compelling ways--can a tidal wave even ask for forgiveness?). Likewise the chorus is very powerful, and the 'man of the hour is taking his final bow' has a remarkable mix of celebration and finality to it, as well as the hopeful uncertainty (goodbye for now) that we lean on whenever someone leaves us. They're gone, but we'll see them again someday.

But the second verse can't really compete with the first. I've never liked the 'nature has its own religion/gospel from the land' lyric, and the sky breaks at dawn...verse is a little too much telling, not enough showing, an awkward moment of narrative in a song that otherwise steers clear of it.

There is a five star song lurking within man of the hour. Had eddie spent a little more time with it I think he could have found it. As is it is a 3.5 star song for me, but closer to 4 than 3.

The perfect gift for certain occasions

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:03 pm 
Got Some

Favorite slow song of theirs in recent years. Love the sound of Ed's voice, especially the inflection at the end of recent live versions. Simple but effective lyrics, finely tiptoe-ing cliche at times. The man knows how to write songs of passing/mourning and a good version is hard to beat. Works fine either solo or with the full band. That said while I really like the song I wouldn't put it on the top shelf. It doesn't quite soar but maybe that wasn't the idea.
Man of the Hour wasn't played in '07 and I would hate to see it disappear.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:35 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I love the song. Love the mood and atmosphere and I love how it still hold that acoustic style.

I don't like the line "snowflake falls in May." blah! :fail:

4 stars

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:47 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

This is a 4/5 star song for me...i went for 5 because sometimes i really love it.

I agree with others that the opening lyric is great, and also that Eddie's delivery of the bridge in live versions is a biig improvement. i can't really add mcuh to SLH's eloquent post, but i'm in similar opinion.

Stip, i disagree that the other instruments become a distraction. i think mike colours it beautifully, and the other members practically mirror Ed. I'd like to see Stone be a little more inventive with his guitar parts in Ed's songs in general though. In this song, and others like Better Man, RVM, Off He Goes, Light Years, Sad, Education, I am Mine etc etc he just doubles Ed's parts. I'm interested as to why this is...is he following Ed's instructions? Is it to emphasise and enrichen Ed's parts in a live setting so Ed isn't 'carrying the song' when the whole band kicks in? Whatever it is, i'd love to see Stone adding some more counter melodies....inversions...some of those quirky phrasing we know he dabbles with. Sure a lot of the songs stand up perfectly well without them, but a few raked chords phrased higher up the fret board could really lift MOTH in certain places.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:51 pm 
Resident Frat Dick

5 stars. Love it. Saw them debut it at Benaroya. Great little surprise release by PJ, as they tend to do from time to time. God, I love this band.

For rocking out purposes, Even Flow is obviously better. Duh.

9/16/96, 7/21/98, 7/22/98, 11/5/00, 11/6/00, 12/5/02, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 5/30/03, 10/22/03, 9/24/04, 3/18/05, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 7/23/06, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 9/26/09, 9/25/11

Last edited by Bammer on Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:53 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Bammer wrote:
5 stars. Love it. Saw them debut it at Benaroya. Great little suprise release by PJ, as they tend to do from time to time. God, I love this band.

For rocking out purposes, Even Flow is obviously better. Duh.

How about if they speeded up the riff, and Jeff broke out his fretless bass. Would it rock then?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:13 pm 
Global Moderator

man of the hour needs a drum solo.

The perfect gift for certain occasions

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:24 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Although I was a 10c member and all, I wasn't getting any PJ info apart from the 10c newlsetter and occasional emails at the time this came out, not on any of the boards tehn 9waht did I do all day?!;))

I remember sitting at the cinema at the end of Big Fish, which I enjoyed but wasn't bowled over by, and suddenly sitting up straight when the song came up, turning to my, non-PJ, friend in astonishment..'it's Eddie!'..then waiting through the whole credits (i do often anyway) to see if it was just Ed or PJ..
can't say I took too much of the song the first time as I was too surprised, I knew nothing about them having penned that song.

I really like it, like the music and love Ed's voice on it ..far more than the 'other' soundtrack song, Dead Man.
but it wasn't until one of the shows in Europe, not sure which one, Prague probably, that the song really hit me, thinking of my own Dad that passed away a couple of years before.

I think I see what Stip means by the other instruments..it would work just as well as a solo piece with just Ed on the guitar, the other instruments are not needed, they're kind of superfluous.

I really like it, though not quite love it (sometimes I do though), so it's a 4.

lord vedder wrote:
Man of the Hour wasn't played in '07 and I would hate to see it disappear.

it won't.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:25 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Pegasus wrote:
it would work just as well as a solo piece with just Ed on the guitar, the other instruments are not needed, they're kind of superfluous.

I disagree. With both the full version and the demo on the single, it's easy to compare them and, for me, the full band version (not surprisingly) gives the song much needed depth. There's a lot of subtle things going on in the background of the full band version that I just love as I feel they accent the song wonderfully. The demo version, which is pretty much Ed and a guitar with some layered vocals, just doesn't resonate as well with me as it seems flat and dry. I have to think Ed and/or the band felt it was lacking, too, otherwise why not just release the demo or re-record it as is?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:34 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

AndySlash wrote:
Pegasus wrote:
it would work just as well as a solo piece with just Ed on the guitar, the other instruments are not needed, they're kind of superfluous.

I disagree. With both the full version and the demo on the single, it's easy to compare them and, for me, the full band version (not surprisingly) gives the song much needed depth. There's a lot of subtle things going on in the background of the full band version that I just love as I feel they accent the song wonderfully. The demo version, which is pretty much Ed and a guitar with some layered vocals, just doesn't resonate as well with me as it seems flat and dry. I have to think Ed and/or the band felt it was lacking, too, otherwise why not just release the demo or re-record it as is?

there's a demo version on the single?
damn..I should have offered it to my friend as Xmas present without listening to it!
:P

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:48 am 
Winner: 2007+2009 Other Bands Cover Contest

agree with Stip....you can just hear where the song should go but as usual Ed holds back cause god forbid he looks like he is trying...this song could have been a classic, but why give the fans what they want...I'm bitter tonight....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:30 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

badabing wrote:
agree with Stip....you can just hear where the song should go but as usual Ed holds back cause god forbid he looks like he is trying...this song could have been a classic, but why give the fans what they want...I'm bitter tonight....

Are you talking about Eddie staying in his lower register in the bridge instead of moving up as he does live? Remember that this was a somber song played over the closing credits of a movie following a funeral scene. I think that he wanted to preserve the wistful quality of the ending of the movie instead of calling attention to the song. I like it. I like the way that the percussion finishes each phrase. He sang it this way at Benaroya Hall, and it sounds beautiful with the natural echo in the symphony hall. Live, I think that it works better when he moves up, and if Pearl Jam were just recording this tune for themselves that might be nice, but it works for me as it is.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:39 am 
Red Mosquito, my libido

stip wrote:
man of the hour needs a drum solo.

that's your answer for everything

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:06 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

This is a masterpiece to me. One of the best songs of the 21st century.

Only one bum line, "father ruled by long division". What the fook does that mean??? If it refers to doing division by hand and the metaphor is supposed to show that father ruled by hand then it's clunky and doesn't really work. Sometimes I think Ed tries to be too clever, maybe confusing clever with being deep. "Father ruled by long division" sounds like something a really stoned friend would come up with out of the blue sitting round a fire. "You know dude............................................. father ruled by long division. Have any chips?"

I can't say enough good about this song. It showcases everything great about Ed's writing.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:02 am 
Mike's Maniac

this song makes me very sad

ever dream of escaping

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:44 am 
Former PJ Drummer

5 stars

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:52 am 
Red Mosquito, my libido

4 stars. Definitely up there but not 5 star elite status.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:26 pm 
Mike's Maniac

oh and i vote 4 stars

ever dream of escaping

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:33 pm 
Stone's Bitch
 WWW  Profile

I'm sorry kids... it's a good song, but not my cup of tea.

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam