Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Rate All Or None
5 Stars: Haunting, a classic 54%  54%  [ 19 ]
4 Stars: Really good 20%  20%  [ 7 ]
3 Stars: Average 14%  14%  [ 5 ]
2 Stars: Missing something 11%  11%  [ 4 ]
1 Star: Meh 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
0 Stars: Maybe if Jeff sang it... 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 35
 Post subject: Re: Song of the moment---to myself I surrender.....
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:56 pm 
Unthought Known

I love the Mansfield 03 version of this song. The best of the few they've done IMO.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:46 pm 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

this song is so good

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:40 pm 
Banned from the Pit

I have been listening to this song quite a bit lately. I wasn't too keen on it before but I've grown to really like it. Part of it has to do with the lyrics. I can really relate to them right now. And Ed's vocals on this one are great.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:18 am 
Banned from the Pit

Great song. 5 stars. Love everything about it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:08 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

i appreciate more after listening to the vic theatre boot from 07...i realize then how good this song is.
when RA came out it felt like Indifference 2 but even if it has the same type of vibe, it shows some of the strenghts of this band ( ed vocals are one of the best of RA, and Mike is good here).

3.5 stars and they should play it live more often.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:14 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I always feel like my analytical faculties have gone kaput whenever I see someone make the "Indifference"/"All or None" comparison. One is a folksy waltz driven by Stone's acoustic guitar; the other is an atmospheric groove driven by Jeff's bass and colored by Brendan O'Brien's keys. I mean, I get that they serve a similar functional purpose ("moody album closers--with Mike solos!"), but enough to reduce "All or None" to "Indifference 2?"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:16 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

Team Kevin Davis.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:24 pm 
Coast to Coast

Kevin Davis wrote:
I always feel like my analytical faculties have gone kaput whenever I see someone make the "Indifference"/"All or None" comparison. One is a folksy waltz driven by Stone's acoustic guitar; the other is an atmospheric groove driven by Jeff's bass and colored by Brendan O'Brien's keys. I mean, I get that they serve a similar functional purpose ("moody album closers--with Mike solos!"), but enough to reduce "All or None" to "Indifference 2?"

They're both equally tedious

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:55 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Kevin Davis wrote:

For me, music is, most of the times, a matter of mood...both of them sound folksy or bluesy, and both of them are atmospheric enough to relate them.
You can say one is driven by guitar and the other by the bass, it doesnt matter when you feel the relation not only in the music, but in the mood.
Its a different type of song than, lets say all those yesterdays, inside job and the end.
And yeah, mike´s solos and they way they placed in the song are very similar....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:25 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

theplatypus wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:

Fair, but weak grounds for the kind of claim for VinylGuy is making, which seems to boil down to, "they make me feel the same way so the second is therefore essentially the same thing as the first." You might as well say "Grievance" is "Hail Hail 2" because they both contain power chords and make you feel equally as energized. I'm no fan of that kind of reductive analysis--you can make any two things sound as similar or as dissimilar as you want if you focus on certain things.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:52 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Kevin Davis wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:

Fair, but weak grounds for the kind of claim for VinylGuy is making, which seems to boil down to, "they make me feel the same way so the second is therefore essentially the same thing as the first." You might as well say "Grievance" is "Hail Hail 2" because they both contain power chords and make you feel equally as energized. I'm no fan of that kind of reductive analysis--you can make any two things sound as similar or as dissimilar as you want if you focus on certain things.

Well i dont think grievance and hail hail sound similar at all, they dont share anything in music and in mood at all...just the tempo if you want, but that´s kinda it.
In other hand, i dont think its reductive analysis, it might be different from the one you seem to apply to music, but like that idea of being carried away with music without giving it too much of a thought.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:46 pm 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

dkfan9 wrote:
this song is so good

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:01 am 
statistically insignificant

theplatypus wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam