Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Rate All Or None
5 Stars: Haunting, a classic 54%  54%  [ 19 ]
4 Stars: Really good 20%  20%  [ 7 ]
3 Stars: Average 14%  14%  [ 5 ]
2 Stars: Missing something 11%  11%  [ 4 ]
1 Star: Meh 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
0 Stars: Maybe if Jeff sang it... 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 35
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:55 pm 
Founding Bitch

stuzzo wrote:
stip wrote:
stuzzo wrote:
This and Help, Help have been making me the love the tail end of Riot Act lately.

Even after I decided I really liked the live help help I still can't get that into the studio version. I don't really like green disease either. There is a big gap enjoyment gap for me between You are and 1/2 full.

I think the studio version of Help, Help is fantastic, however. The production really works; I think it's pretty atmospheric.

A damn fine song, that one.

I'm looking forward to Jeff's contributions to the new album

Wilderness 1:49-2:04. Diamond Dust.

Window Washer's Dream - Planet Sonata's Intension

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:02 pm 
Global Moderator

Juvenal wrote:
stuzzo wrote:
stip wrote:
stuzzo wrote:
This and Help, Help have been making me the love the tail end of Riot Act lately.

Even after I decided I really liked the live help help I still can't get that into the studio version. I don't really like green disease either. There is a big gap enjoyment gap for me between You are and 1/2 full.

I think the studio version of Help, Help is fantastic, however. The production really works; I think it's pretty atmospheric.

I would like to see no one have individual contributions. Joint efforts are the best.

The perfect gift for certain occasions

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:04 pm 
Founding Bitch

stip wrote:
Juvenal wrote:
stuzzo wrote:
stip wrote:
stuzzo wrote:

I would like to see no one have individual contributions. Joint efforts are the best.

a la Vitalogy you mean? :wink:

Wilderness 1:49-2:04. Diamond Dust.

Window Washer's Dream - Planet Sonata's Intension

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:00 am 
Global Moderator

Juvenal wrote:
stip wrote:
Juvenal wrote:
stuzzo wrote:
stip wrote:
stuzzo wrote:

a la Vitalogy you mean? :wink:

with one notable exception... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:16 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Wow,
wat an amazing song. Too bad we didn't have a vote to give this one 5 stars back then. But I have an idea:

Why don't we all go to this thread
http://forums.theskyiscrape.com/vie ... hp?t=53316
and vote for the user that had the guts to include this magnificent song in his team. Allright? I knew you'd do it! It's spelled A-N-G-U-S.

Thanks a lot!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:17 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Angus wrote:
Wow,
wat an amazing song. Too bad we didn't have a vote to give this one 5 stars back then. But I have an idea:

and vote for the user that had the guts to include this magnificent song in his team. Allright? I knew you'd do it! It's spelled A-N-G-U-S.

Thanks a lot!

advertising much?

Winner, 2008 US Pearl Jam fantasy league. :D

Everton FC: 3-1-5
Anaheim Webbed D's: 5-6-2
USC Football: 7-2
Denver Broncos: 3-5

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:18 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

pearljamfan80 wrote:
Angus wrote:
Wow,

Thanks a lot!

advertising much?

Just 'reminding' people. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:28 pm 
AnalLog

this is by far the worst album closer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:29 pm 
Team Binaural
 WWW  Profile

pearljamfan80 wrote:
Angus wrote:
Wow,

Thanks a lot!

advertising much?

Now the question is : will Angus be more successful than the Avocado and go platinum by the end of this round ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:32 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

BadMusic wrote:
pearljamfan80 wrote:
Angus wrote:
Wow,

Thanks a lot!

advertising much?

Now the question is : will Angus be more successful than the Avocado and go platinum by the end of this round ?

I promise to tour in southern USA!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:34 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Angus wrote:
BadMusic wrote:
pearljamfan80 wrote:
Angus wrote:
Wow,

Thanks a lot!

advertising much?

I promise to tour in southern USA!

You already have my support...but I can't vote. :lol:

Come to California too

Winner, 2008 US Pearl Jam fantasy league. :D

Everton FC: 3-1-5
Anaheim Webbed D's: 5-6-2
USC Football: 7-2
Denver Broncos: 3-5

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:22 pm 
Interweb Celebrity

song's gorgeous. when i first got riot act and listened...this song blew me away. i remember just thinking how i had never heard anything like this from the band before. i had a friend who ran a college music radio show on sundays at wake forest and i called in that first sunday it was out to say 'YOU NEED TO PLAY THIS SONG OFF THE NEW PEARL JAM ALBUM RIGHT NOW'

We gotta watch our backs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:30 pm 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

well I wrote a paper for English class..
if my life were a song it would be...
and picked this song. Probably not the best paper, I hate writing about myself, but hey i got a 92 on it so I was happy. A few errors too(both in phrasing and in spelling), but that's what happens when I do it in one night(I was trying I am Mine but I was having trouble doing more than simply explain and interpret the words in that one, as opposed to applying it to myself loike the paper said I was supposed to).

“All or None” by Pearl Jam is a song much like my life, in that it tells of the writer’s struggles within himself to change himself, and the realization that this isn’t always possible. I often find myself in this same situation.

The song’s lyrics would seem to many to be depressing, but in a way, to me, they are almost liberating in the way that they are a realization of qualities. They might be “hopeless,” but the only thing hopeless about the song is that you are basically going to be the same person no matter what you do to try and change that. To me, this isn’t a bad thing. There are always things about ourselves that we would like to change, but these things are also what make up who we are.

The song opens with:
“It’s a hopeless situation
And I’m starting to believe
That this hopeless situation
Is what I’m trying to achieve”
This verse applies to my life fairly well. There’s little hope in changing myself, it seems, but then I think “Would I really want to change?” I procrastinate, and I get mad at myself for it, especially for all the stress it causes me, nearly every time. However, I continue to do it every time I have a big assignment. “Why do I do it?” is a question I might ask myself sometimes. But I can’t really give an answer to that question, as it’s just part of my personality. I like to relax, and working doesn’t equal relaxing, even if it mean cramming for a test or typing a paper in two nights.

The lines:
“To myself I surrender
To the one I’ll never please”
are some of my favorite lines ever, because they’re very applicable to me. I want conflicting things, and feel bad about abandoning one or the other. I want to be loyal to my good friends, and keep relationships civil with them, but I also don’t like to abandon my morals, which is sometimes required to simply not start an argument with them when they say some things. My best friend is a homophobic racist, two of the worst things that someone can be in my opinion. However, like I said, he’s my best friend. In fact, most all of my friends are homophobic, and a good majority are at least somewhat racist. I’m pretty far on the other side of those issues, but it doesn’t matter when I’m with my friends because I won’t say something for fear of hurting the friendship. I let all of my good friends know my views(that I don’t care about the race or sexual preference of others), but I’m still friends with them even with this conflict in the friendship.

Another application of those two lines is the feeling I get when I know I gave up one rep short at football or gave half effort for a sprint or two. I get disappointed in myself. I don’t have an easy time realizing that s sometimes I shouldn’t care so much and let things drag me down. I’m not pleased with my effort unless I can’t walk and am about to collapse, and even then I feel like maybe I could have done more… It’s a hopeless feeling sometimes, but this song helps put it into perspective, and helps me know that I’m not the only one out there that feels this way.

I feel the words “All or None” work very well for me, since I feel almost worthless sometimes if I only give 95%, and not 100%. Now in some ways this is a great thing, and I would never want to change it, and in other ways I wish I could be a little less hard on myself sometimes. It’s a paradox that is summed up very well by this song.

Another two lines that I love are
“Can we help that our destinations
Are the ones we’ve been before.”
That couplet is perfect for me. I’m always trying to achieve a similar feeling to some feeling from the past. This is definitely true with friends. Once I get settled with a group, I sort of stick to them, simply due to comfort. I don’t go out looking for new situations very often for this simple fact. I go with what I’ve been familiar to, nothing more, nothing less, for the most part.

The song ends in a somber, emotional guitar solo that fades out. The fade out puts the final stamp on the words of the song in that because of the fade out, the song never really “ends,” which signifies that the conflict within oneself is an unending one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:17 pm 
Global Moderator

nicely done :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:48 pm 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

stip wrote:
nicely done :)

Post subject: Re: Song of the moment---to myself I surrender.....
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:02 am 
Mike's Maniac

apologies for bringing this thread back from the dead but I just wanted to comment on how much I loved this song as an opener at the Vic. Other times its been played live it had an odd placement at the end of the 2nd encore and I don't think thats a very good spot for it.

I thought it worked fantastically as an opener and hope maybe it will be played a bit more going forward.

5 Stars for me!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:57 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I've been listening to this song a lot today, and it's definitley moved up into the 5 star tier for me.

Ed singing that last verse/chorus live is fucking great.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:47 pm 
Unthought Known

"All or None" has seriously grown on me over the years. As was the case with some No Code, and Binaural songs, Riot Act has a few too that I once hated and now really like; All or None is one of them. Normally I prefer Stone's guitar style over Mike's, but on this song, I just really love the way Mike plays. It's so reflective and emotional, and is moving up on my list of favorite PJ songs (In My Tree is still king).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:39 pm 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

i remember writing thaty paper. i'm glad it's saved here on the board since the computer that was on crashed.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:38 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

The more I hear Mike's mistake on the solo in the Benaroya version the more I love it. Such a great performance...such a great song.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam