Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 765 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next
 Post subject: Re: PJ Albums. Rank 'em. Again.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:22 pm 
The Snowboy

They have a complete glaring lack of minor chords these days.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:06 pm 
Force of Nature

Oh man, "Light Years" is awesome. That 4th chord is awesome, the strumming pattern in the chorus, and that AMAZING bridge. And, above all, that second verse. I don't see many similarities to Black, since "cheesy" lyrics is not just a "Black" thing. I've always felt that Ed's strength was making cheesy lyrics really work. Sad, Indifference, Present Tense, Given to Fly, Wishlist, Army Reserve, etc. It is a real talent to make those lyrics work, or else you get "Inside Job".

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:40 pm 
Master of Meh

Harmless wrote:
They have a complete glaring lack of minor chords these days.

I'm always in favour of more minor chords.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:51 pm 
Coast to Coast

Kevin Davis wrote:
spenno wrote:
I think Black is kind of cheesy too.

I'm not sure that's quite what I'd call Light Years, in truth - I think it's more that I just don't like what it's doing musically (except for the bridge).

"Light Years" has arguably the most jarring chord change in the whole Pearl Jam catalog--that fourth chord during the verse: "I've used hammers made out of wood/I have played games with pieces and rules. A lot of the other chordally askew songwriting on Binaural feels purposeful, but even though I love the song, I could never quite reconcile what they were going for with that (if anything, I guess). I do vastly prefer it to "Black," though.

Doesn't the story go that they wrote the song backwards? I think I remember something about them taking the "Puzzles and Games" progression and playing it backwards and building "Light Years" from it. I don't remember "Puzzles and Games" well enough to verify that, but if true, that might explain that odd turn.

Edit: "With "Light Years", Mike McCready had written some music. We were excited about it for a while, but when we got down to recording it, it was too nice, too right there—it was a little too close to "Given to Fly". We changed the tempos, and then one night Mike and I, after working on it all day and getting frustrated, just flipped it backwards, and in about 35 minutes it became "Light Years", with words and everything. It still has a fairly contagious chorus and melody, but it's just sideways enough to make me happy."

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:04 pm 
Coast to Coast

Well, this wasn't very helpful.

In other news, I feel the sudden urge to worship Satan now.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:05 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Why are PJ so afraid of a song being accessible or too easy?

never understood that.

Who owns that quote, Jorgé?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:11 pm 
Coast to Coast

That was Ed

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:21 pm 
The Snowboy

dimejinky99 wrote:
Why are PJ so afraid of a song being accessible or too easy?

never understood that.

Who owns that quote, Jorgé?

Well, they're clearly not anymore. So we got The Fixer and Supersonic.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:25 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

They've struck a new path with each record, except S/T..Backspacer, as an easy listening record, worked for some, didn't for others. But hey, they tried. This next one has so much hanging on it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:52 pm 
The Snowboy

I kind of thought S/T was a pretty big leap from Riot Act. I guess others didn't. If you don't like either record that's a different thing, but I'd say they're pretty different.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:02 am 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

Harmless wrote:
I kind of thought S/T was a pretty big leap from Riot Act. I guess others didn't. If you don't like either record that's a different thing, but I'd say they're pretty different.

Yeah, I think so too.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:24 am 
Global Moderator

yeah, within the boundaries of what pearl jam is every record has been a fairly large departure from the one before it, which is one reason why it is kinda hard for me to get too hung up on any particular record.

The perfect gift for certain occasions

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:44 am 
Unthought Known

Rankings:

1.) Vitalogy
2.) No Code
3.) Ten
4.) Vs.
5.) Yield
6.) Binaural
7.) Pearl Jam
8.) Backspacer
10.) Riot Act

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:51 am 
Master of Meh

Just the good ones:

No Code
Vs
Vitalogy
Yield
Binaural
Riot Act

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:03 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

I don't understand how you can say Ten is not a good one. You can prefer the others, and I know you do. I do as well. But saying it's a bad album... come on now.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:50 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

i just read the stereogum list...really strange, but i get what they are saying...outside the pearl jam fan base those are the best albums for the mainstream public, and i get it.
here is my list from these days:

No Code
Binaural
Vs
Pearl Jam
Ten
Yield
Vitalogy
Backspacer
Riot Act

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:34 pm 
Global Moderator

I have no real issue with his list (some odd favorites but he clearly is a fan and knows the catalog), but I was surprised to see him lump Yield in with Binaural and Riot Act as a dark album.

The perfect gift for certain occasions

Post subject: Stereogum ranked Pearl Jam Albums From Worst To Best
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:45 pm 
Banned from the Pit

http://stereogum.com/1092912/pearl-jam-albums-from-worst-to-best/franchises/listomania/attachment/binaural/

9. Binaural (2000): There must be someone out there who will claim Binaural as his or her favorite Pearl Jam album, but I can't find that person. (A cursory Google search including the terms "Binaural," "favorite," "Pearl Jam" and "album" yielded nada, but maybe I had to go more than five pages deep.) It's not always the mediocrity-slog it's made out to be -- Pearl Jam always claims Fugazi as a philosophical model, but "Evacuation" actually has a bit of Fugazi in the music, too -- but it is a lot of work for very little reward. The rockers are a lot better than the slow songs (I'm hesitant to call them "ballads," because to me they feel lacking in the emotion required by that word) and there are too damn many slow songs. Still, if I were making a Pearl Jam mix, "God's Dice" would be somewhere on there.

8. Yield (1998): Yield was the beginning of what I like to call Pearl Jam's "Black Period." Now, this is a confusing term, and I don't believe anyone else has adopted it (or employed it, to my knowledge), probably in part because Pearl Jam has a very popular song called "Black," and that's not what I'm making reference to here. No, I call it their Black Period because Yield was the first of three consecutive Peal Jam albums whose artwork was dominated by the color black, and for me, the sound on those albums is thus suitably dreary and void-like (the second Black Period album is Binaural; the third is … coming up next on this list). Yield was the band supposedly "returning" to their roots (it was the first album since 1992's Vs. where Eddie Vedder was not guiding the songwriting in some totalitarian-seeming fashion). But while it's not an unpleasant album, it's not a memorable one, either. "Given To Fly" tries, not entirely unsuccessfully, to recapture Ten's soaring grandeur (via Zep); "Wishlist" is a very goofy but very catchy ballad, probably the most upfront and straightforward pop number the band has ever penned. I like the line about "the full moon shining off a Camaro's hood," but man, some of these lyrics …

7. Riot Act (2002): The final third of the Black Period trilogy, Riot Act was the sound of Pearl Jam at the tail end of a long morass but still firmly submerged. I think you could probably flip Riot Act and Yield here and I wouldn't complain much, but if I had to spend time with one of the two, today, it would be Riot Act. The album opens with what is truly probably the most off-putting and bland song ever recorded by Pearl Jam ("Can't Keep") but follows that with "Save You," one of their best. From there, the album veers pretty wildly -- not always a good look for Pearl Jam, but after the stolid murk of Yield and Binaural, seeing the band embrace some weirdness (a la Vitalogy and No Code) was a welcome sign. My greatest frustration with Riot Act is that the band's annoying tendency to bury great melodies is at its very worst here -- I shouldn't have to work so hard to find the hooks in "Cropduster." But they're in there.

6. Pearl Jam (2006): It's worth noting that the four albums making up the bottom of this list were all released consecutively (not in the order I have them ranked, but these four albums were the band's sixth, fifth, seventh and eighth, respectively). Pearl Jam is the first real sign of life from the band since No Code, although I maintain that it's not as good as its reputation. On the positive side, Pearl Jam are firmly committed to rocking here, and when they slow things down (such as on "Parachutes"), they do so in the service of a song rather than aimless mewling; on the negative, I don't think Eddie Vedder has ever sounded worse than he does on a few of these numbers ("Comatose"). But Pearl Jam sounds crisp and lively throughout, and some songs here -- namely "Unemployable" -- rank with the band's best, and more importantly, don't sound like they're trying to reinvent Ten or Vs. They're just strong, catchy, upbeat tunes. Yes, from Pearl Jam!

5. Backspacer (2009): Backspacer almost completely captures the best aspects of the self-titled album that preceded it and mostly does away with that album's flaws (although Eddie again sounds kind of constipated when he pushes his voice at times). Backspacer may not be a classic Pearl Jam album -- that would be just about impossible to achieve in the 21st century -- but the record sounds great; it's more ear-pleasing than any other Pearl Jam album, period. Single "The Fixer" is a total joy, and it's not the only one here. I strongly considered ranking Backspacer higher than I did, and you know, I probably should have. Today, I like it much more than at least two of the albums that I have ranked higher on this list, but (A) I recognize the historical importance of those albums to be more valuable than my listening pleasure, and (B) Pearl Jam really aren't about listening pleasure; they're supposed to be cranky and difficult. Right? So why is Backspacer so … nice? What's wrong?!

4. Vs. (1993): Pearl Jam's second album, and their second-best-selling album, is stacked top to bottom with hits. I mean Ten had hits, sure, but nothing that sounded as blatantly radio-ready as "Daughter" or "Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town." The rockers stomp confidently, the ballads are effectively moving and grand. The album's bookends -- leading off with "Go" and closing with "Indifference" -- are as good as Pearl Jam gets, and they showcase the band at their tonal and sonic extremes. If every song on Vs. reached those heights, it would easily be at the top of this list, but the bombast here can be exhausting when the music is not at that level, and the weaker moments ("Leash," "Glorified G," "Elderly Woman") are too big -- big in ambition, I mean; these are anthems, not throwaway experiments -- to ignore. Still, as evidenced on its highlights, Vs. is clearly a band at the peak of its powers.

3. No Code (1996): No Code is the weirdest Pearl Jam album, the album on which the band retreated from view into solipsism and psychedelia, the album that definitively said to the world at large, "We are no longer interested in being recognized by you." But it's still the most interesting Pearl Jam album, the most varied. And it's interesting not because of the band's motives, but because the band is trying so many different things -- and achieving something special on a pretty frequent basis. Punk rage sits alongside meditative ponderousness; Eastern percussion and melodies butt up against jagged guitars obviously influenced by the band's time serving as Crazy Horse's stand-in. Rockers like "Hail, Hail," "Smile," and "Red Mosquito" have very little in common with one another, but each one is essential.

2. Ten (1991): Let's say Ten never existed. I mean, to the extent we can imagine this without including all the logical consequences; let's erase that album from history without changing anything else: Would anyone have ever cared about Pearl Jam? Would Vs. have filled arenas around the world for decades to follow? Would they have made it even to No Code, let alone Riot Act? Or would they have been dropped and forgotten long before those points? It's pretty amazing to consider just how much that album mattered -- not just in the degree to which it influenced rock music to come (again, nothing to brag about here), but the fanbase it built and has sustained. In this regard, it's more or less impossible to contextualize Ten. It's an outright classic; it will probably still matter 50 years after its initial release, the same way the Stones still matter after 50 years: because many of the people who were there when it first happened will still be on this Earth to remember it, and because new listeners will still be introduced to it, and they will find something in it worth their devotion, too. Today, ubiquity has drained the album of its power (even non-singles like "Black" have been overplayed to death), and it sounds very much of its time, but hey, its time was one of the most important in the history of American rock 'n' roll.

1. Vitalogy (1994): The recording of Vitalogy was reportedly a low point for Pearl Jam as a creative unit. In an interview with Spin, producer Brendan O'Brien was quoted as saying, "Vitalogy was a little strained. I'm being polite -- there was some imploding going on." The fact that four-fifths of the band survived intact is probably a minor miracle (drummer Dave Abbruzzese was dumped soon after initial recording of the album was completed). There was, according to many reports, a power struggle between Eddie Vedder and the rest of the group; the band's leader before Vedder took the wheel, guitarist Stone Gossard, allegedly considered quitting during the recording process. And that fury and confusion is evident in the music. Vitalogy is a tense, uncompromising album; it is a schizophrenic album in some regards. The band both shuns the spotlight (cf. "Bugs," "Tremor Christ") and embraces it ("Better Man," "Nothingman" -- both magnificent songs). But that insane disparity makes for a fascinating and absorbing listen. It also helps that Vitalogy includes the best Pearl Jam song ("Cordury") and at least two others that belong in the conversation ("Immortality," "Last Exit"). Vitalogy was the last time Pearl Jam was widely relevant, and in many ways, the band used the album as an escape from relevance. But it's really a transitional work -- the bridge from the world dominance of Ten and Vs. to the for-hardcore-fans-only period Pearl Jam entered with Yield. And in that transition, Pearl Jam captured on wax something ephemeral, something magical.

Post subject: Re: Stereogum ranked Pearl Jam Albums From Worst To Best
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:08 pm 
statistically insignificant

lol

Post subject: Re: Stereogum ranked Pearl Jam Albums From Worst To Best
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:12 pm 
Got Some

Interesting take I guess. I can't agree at all with Binaural and Yield being so low. I've never thought of Yeild as a "black" album at all....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 765 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam