Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 765 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 39  Next
 Post subject: PJ Albums. Rank 'em. Again.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:22 am 
Ghostasauros

I think we should do it again. Let's rank the PJ studio albums (from first to worst) in each of our own humble opinions. Let the bickering begin. Again.

This list changes with the seasons for me. There are really no constants other then Riot Act and Binaural are always at the bottom. At one time or another, I think every other album may have topped this list. So here goes...

1. Ten ~Every song is a classic. Release is my personal all time favorite song. This album truly changed my life. I can't honestly say that about any other PJ record. Also in anticipation of the "deluxe/remastered" edition that is about to be released, this album gets the top spot.

2. Vs. ~Nearly as influential on me personally as TEN and probably has topped my personal list more often then any other PJ album. I LOVE this album. Seriously LOVE it. Leash, Glorified G, Rats. Just so damn good. Every song. A very real rock Masterpiece.

3. NO CODE ~I remember being in my parent's basement with the lights out, and only a couple candles burning, laying in front of my stereo speakers, for hours and hours, as a 16 year old, and just letting this album ooze into my soul. (that was way too many commas). It has really felt like it has been a part of me since. Present Tense, In My Tree and Red Mosquito are brilliant songs. The only song that I don't think works is Habit, but I can forgive one song.

4. YIELD ~I skipped school to be in line at my local record store during my senior year of High School the day this album came out. It was an instant great. Lots of awesome rockers and some cool mellow songs too (like every PJ album I guess). Could easily sit at the top of this list at any time for me.

5. PEARL JAM (Avocado) ~I really enjoy this album. There are a couple songs (Big Wave, World Wide Suicide and Comatose) that I could really do without. That being said, I love the "feel" of the album. It isn't over worked. It almost feels like a live CD to me, and I love that.

6. VITALOGY ~A really great record. PJ's first venture into a "concept" album. Beautifully designed (including the album artwork. PJ's best art design in my opinion.). Some fantastic songs. Some all time classics. But there were also some big misses. Whipping, Pry,to, and especially Stupid Mop (I know that this is/can basically be considered a throw away track and really isn't a song at all, but Pearl Jam put it on the album and must be penalized for such a ridiculous decision). Immortality should have been the perfect closer.

7. BINAURAL ~This is a decent album. It is incredibly well recorded and that is the biggest reason it isn't last on my list (that, and the fact that I absolutely love "Sleight of Hand"). The biggest problem with Binaural isn't the songs that are actually on the album, it's the songs PJ inexplicably left off the album (Sad, Fatal, Hitchhiker, In the Moonlight and Education; to name some). This could have (and should have) been a truly monumental release, but with so many omissions, I can't place it any higher on my list.

8. RIOT ACT ~There are several songs that I like quite a bit on this CD. "I Am Mine", "Can't Keep", and "You Are", to name my favorites. But there are way too many forgettable tracks and an over all inconsistent vibe to this whole album. I would review it favorably in comparison to releases by many of the bands that put out albums during this time period, but when comparing Riot Act to other PJ albums, it absolutely falls far short.

Well, I hope you all enjoy this exercise of reviewing your own opinions of the Pearl Jam catalog. I hope my review didn't bore you to death. I am excited to see what you all have to say...

Last edited by PHATJ on Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: PJ Albums. Rank 'em. Again.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:02 am 
Stone's Bitch

1. Vitalogy
2. Ten

(the top two seem to never change)

3. Riot Act
4. Vs.
5. Pearl Jam
6. No Code
7. Binaural

8. Yield

Winner, 2008 US Pearl Jam fantasy league. :D

Everton FC: 3-1-5
Anaheim Webbed D's: 5-6-2
USC Football: 7-2
Denver Broncos: 3-5

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:06 am 
Red Mosquito, my libido

You're a moron, nick.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:15 am 
Stone's Bitch

Get rid of the steaming pile of shit known as Wishlist, and it's probably around #3.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:18 am 
Ghostasauros

pearljamfan80 wrote:
Get rid of the steaming pile of shit known as Wishlist, and it's probably around #3.

I also hate Wishlist with all my soul. It sucks nearly as hard as that in bread song Last Kiss...Worst EVER.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:24 am 
Stone's Bitch

PHATJ wrote:
pearljamfan80 wrote:

I also hate Wishlist with all my soul. It sucks nearly as hard as that in bread song Last Kiss...Worst EVER.

I can forgive Last Kiss because it's not an original PJ song and it's kind of fun live.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:31 am 
Ghostasauros

pearljamfan80 wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
pearljamfan80 wrote:

I can forgive Last Kiss because it's not an original PJ song and it's kind of fun live.

I know that it isn't an orrigional, but it still is a terrible song. And I personally hate it as much live as I do in the recording. Atrocious.

To me, Wish List is a terrible studio track and a much better (although still terrible) live song.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:49 am 
Master of Meh

I bloody love Wishlist, I think it's one of the most affecting thing Ed's ever written. To each their own...

Vs.
Vitalogy
No Code
Ten
Yield
Riot Act
Binaural
S/T

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:44 am 
Dave A's Slave

Yeild
Vitalogy
Binaural
Riot Act
Ten
Vs
No Code
S/T

Vedder’s sticking with the underdog, McCready’s classicist rock solo, Gossard, Ament, and Abbruzzese’s solid yet organic and rootsy rhythm section. It’s earnest, it’s got tension, and that nod to classic rock. It’s Pearl Jam.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:49 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Yield
No Code
Binaural
Vitalogy
Riot Act

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:18 pm 
Winner: 2007+2009 Other Bands Cover Contest

PHATJ wrote:
1. Ten ~Every song is a classic. Release is my personal all time favorite song. This album truly changed my life. I can't honestly say that about any other PJ record. Also in anticipation of the "deluxe/remastered" edition that is about to be released, this album gets the top spot.

good point....

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:32 pm 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

1. Yield
2. Vitalogy
3. Ten
4. Vs.
5. Pearl Jam
6. Riot Act
7. Binaural
8. No Code

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:49 pm 
Force of Nature

1. Vs
2. No Code
3. Riot Act
4. Pearl Jam
5. Yield
6. Vitalogy
7. Ten
8. Binaural

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:50 pm 
Coast to Coast

Okay, let's see here

1. No Code
2. Yield
3. Binaural
4. Riot Act
5. Vitalogy
6. Vs
7. Pearl Jam
8. Ten

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:02 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

badabing wrote:
PHATJ wrote:

good point....

Ten is undoubtedly the album that has had the most impact on my life out of any album ever. But that said I very rarely listen to it today.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:54 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

Okay, my stab at trying to judge this all honestly -- at least what I'm feeling right now.

8. Binaural - Love it, but honestly, I have to admit that it's the weakest record of theirs. Great songs, and perhaps if placed on a different record, would help elevate that record.
7. Riot Act - I upgrade it from Binaural since it did a good job of capturing the political zeitgeist of the time. I really appreciate it for bringing back the rockier Pearl Jam.
6. Avocado - For as much as I love this record, it unfortunately will suffer from a little aging. But the great songs are great. Not quite a timeless record though.
5. Vs. - A great collection of songs. Had an opportunity to tie themes together, but doesn't really seal the deal. But the energy is absolutely incredible. And many of my friend's can play this one all the way through with no need to skip tracks. I think that's pretty incredible.
4. Ten - Definitely the record to start it all and some really great songs. But again, it feels like more of a collection.
3. No Code - Pearl Jam's most artistic record to date still. Great pieces. A great change of pace. And as a whole, does the whole cyclical thing just a bit better than Vs. "If I had known then, what I know now..." vs. "If he only knew now what he knew then..."
2. Yield - This record reminds me of my last two years of high school. I think that's why it hangs on so well. Some of Ed's best singing. The theme of not really yielding struck me as very honest and engaging. Just a gorgeous record that I can really play through straight all of the time -- particularly the last half save "Do the Evolution," which is jarring. :)
1. Vitalogy - I think just the feel of the record gets it here. I find it so interesting that they seem to make the best records in periods of tumultuous episodes between themselves or times of serious transition. I think my top 3 fit this bill pretty well and this record, for all its warts and everything, just seems like the definitive work that Pearl Jam has produced to date. People might not get "it" at first, but eventually, the record really does turn out to be one honest, cohesive, and beautiful mess. Some have compared it as Pearl Jam's White Album, but I argue that it's even more cohesive and tight and focused than the Beatles' great record.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:28 am 
Cameron's Stallion
 WWW  Profile

1. Binaural - Pearl Jam doing something different, and pulling it off to such extent that it's my favourite record of theirs. So much beautiful spaciness (Sleight, NAIS) balanced out with some great rockers (Grievance, Insig, Breakerfall). Perfect production.

2. Riot Act - Excellent production. The way the songs have been left raw and under-rehearsed really works well for this record, particularly on tracks like 1/2 Full.

3. Vitalogy - Some real gems, Immortality, Nothingman, Corduroy. Great album.

4. Yield - Perfect rock record, great ups and downs.

5. No Code - Great album but track order and some songs hold it back, like Mankind.

6. Vs. - Great album for when you're pissed off - such flat our anger and aggression and then comes indifference.... :D ahh....

7. Ten - Song good songs recorded poorly (production wise and take wise) like Even Flow and Once. Good to see it getting remastered/remixed.

8. Pearl Jam - The longer time goes on, the lower this record has sunk on my list, and now its at the bottom. Production is awful, songs are mostly average and nothing new.

13/11/06 Melbourne, 20/11/09 Melbourne

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:19 pm 
Ghostasauros

I really love doing this exercise from time to time. It is always fun to read the explanations of each individual list. Well done everyone.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:32 pm 
Stone's Bitch

1.No code
2.Vitalogy
3.Vs
4.Yield
5.Binaural
6.Riot act
7.Ten
8.Pearl jam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:57 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

1. Versus
2. Binaural
3. Vitalogy
4. No Code
5. Yield
6. Ten
7. Pearl Jam
8. Lost Dogs
9. Riot Act (Yes, thats how bad Riot Act is, lower than Lost Dogs)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 765 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 39  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam