Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 111  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:26 am 
Johnny Guitar
 WWW  Profile

i just saw it as well. weird to see. pj is really promoting this new album, first snl, then csi, next letterman. maybe a video is coming?...

anywho, at least wws wasn't on the miami show. caruso is the worst ever. the second coming of bill shatner. well bill didn't take himself as serious though.

my first PJ show: 1993.08.14 - gimli, manitoba

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:26 am 
Got Some

Yep. Solace was right:

http://theskyiscrape.com/phpBB2/viewtop ... si#1018666

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:28 am 
Johnny Guitar
 WWW  Profile

That's pretty cool.

I wonder what the process is like for these shows to get to use music like PJ's? Who approached who, etc.

Wonder how much $$$ PJ got, or was it just free publicity?

- Bill Hicks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:35 pm 
Banned from the Pit

Yesterday PJ on Extra it was only a few seconds but Mark from Sugar Ray was talking about the new album & tour. They showed a small clip of Eddie singing WWS from the video I guess.

Post subject: Pearl Jam mentioned in the Nation
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:58 am 
too drunk to moderate properly
 WWW  Profile

Quote:
editorial | posted April 27, 2006 (May 15, 2006 issue)
Songs of Protest

There may never be another Bob Dylan. But there will always be protest music of the sort that first endeared Dylan to a mass audience, and that confirmed the power of song to move not just a generation but a nation. Dylan was not the first protest singer; indeed, a good deal of his early Dust Bowl-poet persona derived from Woody Guthrie. And as his more overtly political compatriot Phil Ochs noted in the mid-1960s, Dylan was never comfortable in any movement, a fact that eventually led him to shed his topical-songwriter trappings to become the mythical character that Richard Goldstein examines on page 11. But the artful approach to political songwriting that Dylan pioneered remains an inspiration to today's musicians. And what they sing and say still matters, as the first skirmish of the Iraq War--the frontal assault on the dissenting Dixie Chicks after their lead singer criticized George W. Bush--confirmed.

As the devastation escalated, so did the music. Green Day's album American Idiot, a roaring pop-punk assault on the "redneck agenda" and the warped discourse of post-9/11 America, went to Number 1 on the charts, won a Grammy in 2005 for Best Rock Album and has sold more than 5 million copies. Hip-hop star Kanye West telescoped frustration with the White House's dawdling response to Hurricane Katrina when he told a national television audience, "George Bush doesn't care about black people." On his CDs West has been equally fierce, sarcastically suggesting on his 2005 song "Crack Music" that if anyone's still got questions about Saddam Hussein's supposed chemical weapons stash, "George Bush got the answer."

Now, as Bush's chart position sinks, he's getting even worse reviews. Pearl Jam's new single, "World Wide Suicide," the story of a mother mourning a son killed in battle because his was a life "the President took for granted," tops Billboard's Modern Rock chart. Bruce Springsteen has recorded a rollicking tribute to protest songs by the country's most famous folk singer in a new album, The Seeger Sessions: We Shall Overcome. Moby and REM's Michael Stipe just headlined an antiwar "Bring 'Em Home Now" concert, and the Dixie Chicks are letting Bush know they're not backing down, with their new single, "Not Ready to Make Nice." The extent to which Bush's fortunes have turned may be summed up by the news that pop singer Pink, who began the Bush era promising to "Get the Party Started," is ending it with a sobering lament, "Dear Mr. President," that savages Bush's stances on gay rights, the minimum wage and the war. Hitting even harder is veteran rocker Neil Young, whose post-9/11 song "Let's Roll" was heard by some as a call for war. Young clarifies things on his new CD, Living With War. With a track titled "Let's Impeach the President," it won't feature on George Bush's iPod.

But others in Washington are hearing the power chords. For years, Justin Sane, lead singer of the political punk band Anti-Flag, said it was "left to artists to make the statements that should be getting put into the public discourse." But Anti-Flag is no longer shouting from the sidelines. The band's new CD, For Blood and Empire, features the song "Depleted Uranium Is a War Crime." It was inspired by an appearance at a 2004 Punk Voter rally in Seattle with Representative Jim McDermott, a Vietnam-era vet who has introduced legislation calling for an investigation of the military's use of DU. McDermott is on the CD, and the band is spearheading a drive to get Congress to act on the bill.

Come to think of it, if a 69-year-old Congressman is heeding the call of a punk band, maybe it's time to recognize that, with prodding from outspoken and courageous musicians, the Bush order is rapidly fading and the times, again, are a-changin'.

http://feeds.feedburner.com/TheNationEdPicks?m=789

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:48 am 
Got Some

"save you" was played during an outro to a commercial break during the third quarter of the pistons/cavs game tonight. it was a part of the song with no lyrics, so for the average viewer it was just good pump up music, i imagine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 4:18 am 
Banned from the Pit

ledbutter wrote:
"save you" was played during an outro to a commercial break during the third quarter of the pistons/cavs game tonight. it was a part of the song with no lyrics, so for the average viewer it was just good pump up music, i imagine.

beat me to it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:06 pm 
clever girl...

While channel surfing yesterday, my batteries died, unfortunately on mtv. Trl was on and John Lucas (not so sure of his name, maybe it was Josh) was the guest or something. The host started saying something along the lines of "I had $500 to spend so I went to Virgin and got a bunch of stuff, including the new Pearl Jam. I hear you're a huge fan?" Lucas goes on to say that he saw them play at some hockey arena and they were 2 hours late b/c of the weather. They electricity was out, but they played for 6 hours and all 8,000 people stayed to see them. The host said "Yeah, they're a great band".

My batteries really did die.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:09 pm 
Force of Nature

Pizza the Hut wrote:
While channel surfing yesterday, my batteries died, unfortunately on mtv. Trl was on and John Lucas (not so sure of his name, maybe it was Josh) was the guest or something. The host started saying something along the lines of "I had $500 to spend so I went to Virgin and got a bunch of stuff, including the new Pearl Jam. I hear you're a huge fan?" Lucas goes on to say that he saw them play at some hockey arena and they were 2 hours late b/c of the weather. They electricity was out, but they played for 6 hours and all 8,000 people stayed to see them. The host said "Yeah, they're a great band".

I don't know who's more full of shit. You & your story about your batteries, or Lucas' 6 hour PJ concert.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:13 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Pizza the Hut wrote:

While channel-surfing yesterday, my batteries died, unfortunately on the Spice Channel. "Pound the Black Circle" was on and Clementina Jones (not so sure of her name, maybe it was Catherine) was the actress or something. I don't remember the rest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 2:11 am 
clever girl...

jane gosford wrote:
Pizza the Hut wrote:

I don't know who's more full of shit. You & your story about your batteries, or Lucas' 6 hour PJ concert.

ok

Post subject: more ESPN.COM references
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:21 pm 
Banned from the Pit
 WWW  YIM  Profile

http://www.espn.com

If you look now, the title page says "Inside Job".

Last week there was a story about players who haven't hit any homeruns in their career and the title was "Nothing Men"...

There have been myriads of other references but just thought I'd point out a couple that have appeared ONLY the last week.

Of course, could be completely coincidental... but I thnk not.

Sizeout

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 4:12 pm 
Banned from the Pit

I saw the same thing this morning... ESPN loves PJ.

Hartford 5/13/06, Boston 5/24/06 and 5/25/06, East Rutherford 6/3/06, Summerfest 6/30/06

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 4:19 pm 
Banned from the Pit

now wait a second. i don't think PJ has patented "Inside Job" while it is a coincidence and PJ may have been the inspiration, you could very possibly be jumping to conclusions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 7:07 pm 
Banned from the Pit
 WWW  Profile

this make it here yet:

http://money.cnn.com/2006/03/22/pf/mill ... /index.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 7:49 pm 
Global Moderator

Faceless Man wrote:

that was an odd place to find a reference.

The perfect gift for certain occasions

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:21 pm 
Back from the dead

saw an ad at the top of Myspace for the PJ ST album

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 9:42 pm 
Stone's Bitch

More ESPN relations:

Today on ESPN Radio's Dan Patrick show they used Severed Hand (!) for an intro.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:26 pm 
Banned from the Pit
 WWW  Profile

stip wrote:
Faceless Man wrote:

that was an odd place to find a reference.

no shit, my friend who i pretty much think just reads online papers all day found it....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 3:37 pm 
Supersonic
 WWW  Profile

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 111  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam