Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam members, Rank 'em
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 12:17 am 
Force of Nature

cutuphalfdead wrote:
spenno wrote:
I think McCready's lead playing was at its best in 1998/2000 - after that it's become less exciting for me. The same fire isn't there to these ears, but obviously other people's tastes vary.

I'm with spenny on this one.

Give me some examples...2000 Porch, in general, was directionless wanking, and those Even Flow solos were probably the worst ever (I'm speaking in general of the US tour). What songs do you think he did better back then?

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 12:26 am 
Force of Nature

Evil.little.goat wrote:
Skitch Patterson wrote:
track12 wrote:

Amongst the Waves
Supersonic
All or None (wouldn't be 1/2 the song without Mike's leads)
Bushleaguer
Life Wasted (ditto all or none)
Parachutes

I'm sorry, but that isn't exactly a tour de force. Ament's output over the same time period is arguably superior (Ghost, Help Help, Half Full, Army Reserve, Big Wave, Got Some)..

Wow. the list for both these guys is really really bad.

Jeff's looks pretty good to me. Post 2000 catalogue considering.
Anyone want to bother doing this for matt and eddie?

These are just musical credits:

Ed:

Solo:
Breakerfall
Insignificance
Grievance
Soon Forget
Parting Ways
Sad
Hitchhiker
Education
Drifting
Can't Keep
I Am Mine
Thumbing My Way
Green Disease
Arc
Undone
4/20/02
Man of the Hour
World Wide Suicide
Severed Hand
Gone
Gonna See My Friend
Just Breathe
Unthought Known
Speed of Sound
The End

Co-written:
Light Years (with Stone and Mike)
Save You (credited to the whole band)
Love Boat Captain (with Boom)
Come Back (with Mike)
Inside Job (with Mike)

Matt:

Solo:
Evacuation
In the Moonlight
Cropduster
You Are
Get Right

Co-written:
Save You (credited to the whole band)
Unemployable (with Mike)
The Fixer (with Mike and Stone)
Johnny Guitar (with Stone)

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:54 am 
Master of Meh

track12 wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
spenno wrote:
I think McCready's lead playing was at its best in 1998/2000 - after that it's become less exciting for me. The same fire isn't there to these ears, but obviously other people's tastes vary.

Give me some examples...2000 Porch, in general, was directionless wanking, and those Even Flow solos were probably the worst ever (I'm speaking in general of the US tour). What songs do you think he did better back then?

Er, all of them?

If you think Mike plays Even Flow or Porch better now than in 2000, then I think we just want very different things from his playing.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:57 am 
On the bright side

I've really enjoyed some of those Matt demos from Riot Act. That is pretty good shit right there.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:01 am 
Red Mosquito, my libido

spenno wrote:
track12 wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
spenno wrote:

Er, all of them?

If you think Mike plays Even Flow or Porch better now than in 2000, then I think we just want very different things from his playing.

Yeah. There really isn't anything he didn't play better than. He sure started Given To Fly a lot slower thus salvaging the range of the song.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:09 am 
On the bright side

I must be more of a rock simpleton then or easier to please? Because I still like Mike's solos/playing. Not so much now more than earlier on old songs, but on stuff like Comatose. Still gets me pumped up at shows.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:09 am 
On the bright side

plus, Mike is BY FAR the nicest guy in the band. That should count for something.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:10 am 
Red Mosquito, my libido

I'm not saying I don't like Mike's playing now, I'm just saying it was a lot better 12 years ago.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:36 am 
Spacegirl

cutuphalfdead wrote:
spenno wrote:
track12 wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
spenno wrote:

Er, all of them?

Yeah. There really isn't anything he didn't play better than. He sure started Given To Fly a lot slower thus salvaging the range of the song.

he has to play with more urgency now...

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:40 am 
Johnny Guitar

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
I must be more of a rock simpleton then or easier to please? Because I still like Mike's solos/playing. Not so much now more than earlier on old songs, but on stuff like Comatose. Still gets me pumped up at shows.

This.

Mike still sounds bright and clear in concert; clean tone with plenty of balls. I read that Stone composed the solo in
"Amongst the Waves" however, and that's one of PJ's best solos IMO.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:30 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

track12 wrote:
Looking at sole music songwriting credits, here is what Stone has done since Yield:

Amongst the Waves
Supersonic
Bushleaguer
Parachutes

Wait a sec there, tiger. You seem to be forgetting that Binaural came out after Yield, the sessions for which produced "Thin Air," "Rival," "Of the Girl," and "Fatal." He also penned "Strangest Tribe" in 1999, which is post-Yield. Those five songs alter that respectable-enough-as-is list pretty considerably. Stone's contributions from 1998-2000, roughly, constitute some of PJ's most interesting songs. Hell, throw in Jeff's from that period and you've got a pretty decent representation of what constitutes my favorite side of this band.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:25 am 
Unthought Known

emulicker wrote:
Vedder
McCready
Ament
Cameron
Gossard
Gaspar

not sure what we are ranking them on but this is also my list, who is adding these up? lol

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:18 am 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

clint72 wrote:
emulicker wrote:
Vedder
McCready
Ament
Cameron
Gossard
Gaspar

not sure what we are ranking them on but this is also my list, who is adding these up? lol

eh ruddock is responsible

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 12:17 pm 
Force of Nature

Kevin Davis wrote:
track12 wrote:
Looking at sole music songwriting credits, here is what Stone has done since Yield:

Amongst the Waves
Supersonic
Bushleaguer
Parachutes

Wait a sec there, tiger. You seem to be forgetting that Binaural came out after Yield, the sessions for which produced "Thin Air," "Rival," "Of the Girl," and "Fatal." He also penned "Strangest Tribe" in 1999, which is post-Yield. Those five songs alter that respectable-enough-as-is list pretty considerably. Stone's contributions from 1998-2000, roughly, constitute some of PJ's most interesting songs. Hell, throw in Jeff's from that period and you've got a pretty decent representation of what constitutes my favorite side of this band.

Yep, sorry...I guess I was more referring to Spenno's post-2000 tour Mike decline. Strictly speaking, I also forgot about Down for Mike and Otherside for Jeff. I never realized this before, but Jeff OWNS Stone Riot Act-> on.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 12:33 pm 
Force of Nature

spenno wrote:
Er, all of them?

Yep, I guess we just hear different things. I think the Porch jam is miles better now, and find the majority of 2000 Porch jams to be lame, at least compared to how they've been since Ed started the song. It was getting stale, and I think they realized it and that's why it was changed. The 2000 Even Flows have that lame little scale play at the end of the jam that always seemed just a way to say "I can play outside of pentatonic!" I also think that the band consciously changed how they played songs starting in 2003. Perhaps it had to do with Boom coming on board, or maybe it was to give Ed more breaks, but it seems like there was a decision made to lengthen jams and solos. Black, Even Flow, Porch, Alive, Crazy Mary, Immortality, etc all got much longer. So, I love the 2000 boots, but I think that has more to do with factors other than Mike's soloing style: short, tight songs, Ed has the Schecter and sings the binaural songs with a passion not seen since, and the setlists. But I still fail to hear a substantial difference in the way Mike plays. Isn't that what everyone always pointed to as his drawback, the "hey, great guitar player but hasn't really evolved over time"?

On more recent boots, it is the Mike and Matt show, except for the rare occasion when Ed's voice is consistent through the night.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:18 pm 
Spacegirl

Spike wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
spenno wrote:
track12 wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
spenno wrote:

Er, all of them?

i set the table for some chud crohn's humor here, but i guess he's stood me up :(

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:38 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

Spike wrote:
Spike wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
spenno wrote:
track12 wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
spenno wrote:

Er, all of them?

i set the table for some chud crohn's humor here, but i guess he's stood me up :(

Damnit!

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:16 pm 
On the bright side

dkfan9 wrote:
clint72 wrote:
emulicker wrote:
Vedder
McCready
Ament
Cameron
Gossard
Gaspar

eh ruddock is responsible

Guess it has been long enough I should go through and add it all up. I still don't remember making this thread.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:25 pm 
Fuck Sharks

My list:

Vedder
McCready
Gossard
Ament
Cameron
Gaspar

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:29 pm 
Unthought Known

hurry up so we can start a "is there a consensus on the best members of Pearl Jam" thread.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam