Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2331 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 117  Next
 Post subject: Re: Death on Two Legs Limited Edition Super Deluxe Box Set
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:31 am 
Red Mosquito, my libido

What the fuck does it matter if we already have the shows, unless it sounds significantly better?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:35 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I'm not as bothered as I used to be about collecting all the boots...I don't have the money or enthusiasm. I like the idea of a concise, solid and consistent album - like Live On Two Legs. It'll be good for the average fan.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:36 am 
Master of Meh

I really hope that this isn't just a newer version of LO2L - who would they be trying to sell it to?

Surely they know the hardcore fans are likely to be the only ones who'll shell out for a big deluxe edition, however they're also those who very likely already own all the shows already, so...

:?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:43 am 
Red Mosquito, my libido

iceagecoming wrote:
I'm not as bothered as I used to be about collecting all the boots...I don't have the money or enthusiasm. I like the idea of a concise, solid and consistent album - like Live On Two Legs. It'll be good for the average fan.

I don't have the money either but I have the 2010 boots. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:21 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

spenno wrote:
Mine wrote:
randallanddarcy wrote:
Sony would only own what they were contracted. Which is obviously x amount of studio albums plus the live album (Live on 2 Legs). Sony don't own the live material from the time the band spent on the lable.

That's not necessarily true. They may have rights to everything recorded while the band was under contract. As far as i know this is the default.

It is with most bands, but it's very possible the band negotiated (or renegotiated) to own their own live recordings - you'd have to imagine they would've been in a pretty good bargaining position once Ten and Vs went gangbusters.

The Vegas '93 show could stand as pretty good evidence that they're free to release their older live material however they wish. I don't remember if the guy who runs Kufala posted it himself on the Pit, or if someone emailed him and posted his response, but I distinctly recall the question being posed to him if there was any chance of Kufala releasing vintage PJ boots and his response was that it was certainly something that had been discussed.

They didn't actually release it, they gave it away as a bonus. Also it's a different matter to release one show or release a lot of them. Mayors are known to be hard to work with on this things. Live recordings are a very complex issue so it's always hard to say. Consider that The Wolfgang's vault is selling recordings that were released previously.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:32 pm 
Master of Meh

Mine wrote:
spenno wrote:
Mine wrote:
randallanddarcy wrote:
Sony would only own what they were contracted. Which is obviously x amount of studio albums plus the live album (Live on 2 Legs). Sony don't own the live material from the time the band spent on the lable.

That's not necessarily true. They may have rights to everything recorded while the band was under contract. As far as i know this is the default.

It is with most bands, but it's very possible the band negotiated (or renegotiated) to own their own live recordings - you'd have to imagine they would've been in a pretty good bargaining position once Ten and Vs went gangbusters.

The Vegas '93 show could stand as pretty good evidence that they're free to release their older live material however they wish. I don't remember if the guy who runs Kufala posted it himself on the Pit, or if someone emailed him and posted his response, but I distinctly recall the question being posed to him if there was any chance of Kufala releasing vintage PJ boots and his response was that it was certainly something that had been discussed.

They didn't actually release it, they gave it away as a bonus. Also it's a different matter to release one show or release a lot of them. Mayors are known to be hard to work with on this things. Live recordings are a very complex issue so it's always hard to say. Consider that The Wolfgang's vault is selling recordings that were released previously.

The Vegas show was for sale like a regular boot, not a bonus (are you thinking of the NYE '92 show?), but yeah, it's impossible for us to the specifics of their actual deal.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:34 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

spenno wrote:
Mine wrote:
spenno wrote:
Mine wrote:
randallanddarcy wrote:

The Vegas show was for sale like a regular boot, not a bonus (are you thinking of the NYE '92 show?), but yeah, it's impossible for us to the specifics of their actual deal.

I think you accidentally a word there.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:36 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

cutuphalfdead wrote:
spenno wrote:
Mine wrote:
spenno wrote:
Mine wrote:
randallanddarcy wrote:

I think you accidentally a word there.

I was waiting for this, Chud. It should get old, but it never does!

Shawn Smith: 1 in 2008

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:37 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

Guys, the fucking cat my roommate's ex girlfriend left with us has peed on both couches in less than 18 hours.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:43 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Guys, the fucking cat my roommate's ex girlfriend left with us has peed on both couches in less than 18 hours.

That's riveting, chud, but :offtopic:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:48 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

Sorry, the second one just happened.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:55 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

cutuphalfdead wrote:

I think you should start taking responsibility for your posting, chud.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:55 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

randallanddarcy wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

Don't talk to me about posting.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:57 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

spenno wrote:
Mine wrote:
spenno wrote:
Mine wrote:
randallanddarcy wrote:

Yeah i mixed them up.
I remember someone said that they had issues with getting a deal with Sony about the old live recordings.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:27 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

So, we've ascertained PJ can release old shows then.

If so, PJ can license out old shows to whomever they like (including Universal) for release, just like they did the last studio album.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:31 pm 
Founding Bitch

cutuphalfdead wrote:
randallanddarcy wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

Don't talk to me about posting.

I dunno why, but this made me :lol:

Wilderness 1:49-2:04. Diamond Dust.

Window Washer's Dream - Planet Sonata's Intension

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:35 pm 
Cameron's Stallion
 WWW  Profile

spenno wrote:
stip wrote:
Guys, if Pearl Jam doesn't own their back live catalog (people are intimating they don't) and they release basically every single show after they happen, there are limits to what kind of deluxe live album they can put out.

Well, now I think about it, they managed to release that Vegas '93 show themselves without too much hassle. Hmm.

but when they released the vegas show they were still on sony

13/11/06 Melbourne, 20/11/09 Melbourne

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:41 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Remind me...what year was that 'vault' show released. I genuinely forget. It was a while ago alright.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:27 pm 
Global Moderator

wasn't the vegas show basically a fan boot?

The perfect gift for certain occasions

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:40 pm 
Master of Meh

adamdude wrote:
spenno wrote:
stip wrote:
Guys, if Pearl Jam doesn't own their back live catalog (people are intimating they don't) and they release basically every single show after they happen, there are limits to what kind of deluxe live album they can put out.

Well, now I think about it, they managed to release that Vegas '93 show themselves without too much hassle. Hmm.

but when they released the vegas show they were still on sony

Nope - March 2006!

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=35645&hilit=vegas+vault

randallanddarcy wrote:
Remind me...what year was that 'vault' show released. I genuinely forget. It was a while ago alright.

(see above)

stip wrote:
wasn't the vegas show basically a fan boot?

You're thinking of New Year's Eve '92, which was included as a bonus with the 10C edition of S/T (which is still for sale on their website). That was an audience recording.

Vegas was a proper soundboard recording and was for sale on Basecamp like the other official boots from the time.

randallanddarcy wrote:
So, we've ascertained PJ can release old shows then.

If so, PJ can license out old shows to whomever they like (including Universal) for release, just like they did the last studio album.

Let's hope so. The above seems to suggest they have a little bit of freedom in that regard, so hopefully that's the case.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2331 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 117  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam