Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1409 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68 ... 71  Next
 Post subject: Re: The New 10c Memberships(now with Anal Log)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:52 am 
Global Moderator

I'm not sure you need to be creatively challenged to write good songs. R.E.M. broke up when they decided they weren't creatively challenging themselves anymore, and they're probably right that they're not. Collapse into Now is R.E.M.'s first record that felt and sounded derivative. BUT, having said that, I really like that record. it's in the top half of their catalog for me since the songs, while familiar, are still good and while sounding derivative, don't sound rehashed (like U2's recent output has). I would have been happy to have them keep making records as long as the songs were good--I don't care if they were original.

You're probably right in that the band isn't really going to surprise itself much anymore (although given how influenced they, or at least Eddie, seem to be by their musical influences a chance in their listening habits could bring something new). It's been 20 years, after all, and these guys were never boundary pushers to begin with. Plus I imagine it is much harder to vary the sound of a group rather than an individual. But who knows? They still have never released the same record twice, and I do think they do a really good job responding to each of their past records--both S/T and Backspacer make sense appearing where they did and why they did. And for the most part the song writing on both of those albums is pretty strong. I don't know if any band 20 years out has the drive to make its masterpiece, but that doesn't bother me. As long as they can grow their catalog with songs I want to listen to they should keep making music forever. I listen to most of my favorite artists to satisfy me. I listen to new bands to surprise me.

The perfect gift for certain occasions

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:52 am 
Global Moderator

I think my favorite Matt performance on drums is Gonna See My Friend. I'd like more of that

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:16 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Yeah he's really solid on that number. He always is though. it's got a nice groove to it too which is apparent now that I listen for it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:40 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

spenno wrote:
"I get afraid of losing that creative energy. Where it's like 'where's it going to come from'? Am I going to lose it someday, or will I have it for a while and then will it just run out? Because I've seen that happen to other bands." - hmm.

Yeah I think about this quote from time to time.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:48 pm 
Fuck Sharks

My membership has now lapsed, so I'm in the 3 month grace period....and I am way on the fence about even renewing...

:(

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:04 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

scott, renew for full membership. This is the squeeze. The bounce is on the way hopefully. It can only get better.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:12 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Strat went digital. That says something.

I do hope that they can lure me back into Anal though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:47 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

62strat wrote:

If Jeff "walking sex" Ament can't lure you back into anal nothing can.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:46 pm 
Master of Meh

dimejinky99 wrote:
scott, renew for full membership. This is the squeeze. The bounce is on the way hopefully. It can only get better.

Oh, come on, you don't really believe that.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:45 pm 
I <3 Yoga Pants

spenno wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

of course he does.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:35 pm 
Force of Nature

62strat wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:51 pm 
Master of Meh

stip wrote:
I'm not sure you need to be creatively challenged to write good songs. R.E.M. broke up when they decided they weren't creatively challenging themselves anymore, and they're probably right that they're not. Collapse into Now is R.E.M.'s first record that felt and sounded derivative. BUT, having said that, I really like that record. it's in the top half of their catalog for me since the songs, while familiar, are still good and while sounding derivative, don't sound rehashed (like U2's recent output has). I would have been happy to have them keep making records as long as the songs were good--I don't care if they were original.

As long as they can grow their catalog with songs I want to listen to they should keep making music forever. I listen to most of my favorite artists to satisfy me. I listen to new bands to surprise me.

I don't necessarily think the band should be reinventing their sound, it's more that I think the overall level of quality in terms of songwriting has dropped markedly after their first decade. When I talk about creatively challenging one another, I don't imagine Jeff bringing in a synth or McCready listening to free jazz (though I'm sure it wouldn't hurt); I'm talking about the kind of creative connection you see between Ed and Stone writing Daughter on the tour bus in PJ20. Perhaps "challenge" isn't the best word to use.

To me, the band talking about writing songs that sound like nothing else they've ever done (I recall Jeff doing that in promo for Backspacer) is something of a red herring - it's easy to, say, play a country song or a new wave song and pat yourself on the back that you're doing something worthwhile; it's much harder to just write a good song, even if it's drawn from a similar template to what you've used before. Sonic Youth, for example, didn't really vary their sound hugely over almost 30 years (though arguably they were working from a much more expansive pallet to begin with) but they were able to keep coming up with songs that I really loved.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:44 am 
Force of Nature

They're still together because they're still enjoying writing music, they're clearly still great friends, and still love playing live.

The band has had ample opportunities in the past 10 years to break up, and still have musical careers in other bands/solo, but they seem to have a mix that they're happy with.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:46 am 
Force of Nature

spenno wrote:
I'm talking about the kind of creative connection you see between Ed and Stone writing Daughter on the tour bus in PJ20.

How the hell do we know the ins and outs of their current songwriting process?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:50 am 
Master of Meh

pearl_jam_r_good wrote:
They're still together because they're still enjoying writing music, they're clearly still great friends, and still love playing live.

The band has had ample opportunities in the past 10 years to break up, and still have musical careers in other bands/solo, but they seem to have a mix that they're happy with.

I don't really see the connection between this and my posts on the last few pages. I never suggested that the band are unhappy in the slightest with how things are. I'm sure they do enjoy each other's company and playing shows together, I can't imagine they'd still be together after almost 22 years otherwise.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:58 am 
Global Moderator

spenno wrote:
stip wrote:

As long as they can grow their catalog with songs I want to listen to they should keep making music forever. I listen to most of my favorite artists to satisfy me. I listen to new bands to surprise me.

I don't necessarily think the band should be reinventing their sound, it's more that I think the overall level of quality in terms of songwriting has dropped markedly after their first decade. When I talk about creatively challenging one another, I don't imagine Jeff bringing in a synth or McCready listening to free jazz (though I'm sure it wouldn't hurt); I'm talking about the kind of creative connection you see between Ed and Stone writing Daughter on the tour bus in PJ20. Perhaps "challenge" isn't the best word to use.

To me, the band talking about writing songs that sound like nothing else they've ever done (I recall Jeff doing that in promo for Backspacer) is something of a red herring - it's easy to, say, play a country song or a new wave song and pat yourself on the back that you're doing something worthwhile; it's much harder to just write a good song, even if it's drawn from a similar template to what you've used before. Sonic Youth, for example, didn't really vary their sound hugely over almost 30 years (though arguably they were working from a much more expansive pallet to begin with) but they were able to keep coming up with songs that I really loved.

agreed.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:24 am 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Charlie wrote:
spenno wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

of course he does.

Want to believe it'll get better. Plus i'm really holding out for the No Code/Yield super deluxe reissue if i'm honest. plus whatever vinyl's coming of the new record.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:55 am 
Unthought Known

dimejinky99 wrote:
Plus i'm really holding out for the No Code/Yield super deluxe reissue if i'm honest. plus whatever vinyl's coming of the new record.

Backspacer still sits in the goods section on vinyl, most likely boxed up and completely ignored.

"Remember back the early days when you were young and thus amazed."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:18 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

It also sits on my shelf unplayed, but they're nice to have on vinyl. if you have a No Code vinyl i suggest you sell it before the reissues. Vs and Vitalogy were once rare as hens teeth and now they're readily available in any record shop. It'll be a wonderful day when No Code joins them there.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:50 pm 
Got Some

dimejinky99 wrote:
Charlie wrote:
spenno wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

of course he does.

Want to believe it'll get better. Plus i'm really holding out for the No Code/Yield super deluxe reissue if i'm honest. plus whatever vinyl's coming of the new record.

Has there been any indication that they would even reissue these?

Even though I'd be interested in what might be included with these, I have my doubts they'll even be offered. The band didn't seem too interested in spending anymore energy with these projects.

It seems like the first 3 albums would naturally be reissued. They really represented PJ at its peak in popularity.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1409 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68 ... 71  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam