Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1409 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71  Next
 Post subject: Re: The New 10c Memberships(now with Anal Log)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:18 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

twoheadedboy, can you explain a little bit of your recording studio experience--names of major artists you've worked with, records you've produced, etc.--so that we can clear up what your credentials are, since you seem so preoccupied with using everyone else's presumed lack thereof as grounds for giving them pompous audio tech lessons?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:29 am 
Coast to Coast

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:29 am 
a joke

Kevin Davis wrote:
twoheadedboy, can you explain a little bit of your recording studio experience--names of major artists you've worked with, records you've produced, etc.--so that we can clear up what your credentials are, since you seem so preoccupied with using everyone else's presumed lack thereof as grounds for giving them pompous audio tech lessons?

dude, you just guaranteed an entire tour with no taping what so ever.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:32 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Tour of what?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:38 am 
a joke

Kevin Davis wrote:
Tour of what?

ANYTHING.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:44 am 
Master of Meh

I'm afraid you've lost me too here, Skitch.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:44 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Sounds serious. Apologies to all affected.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:52 am 
a joke

Sometimes I forget you guys are relative kids. Years ago I thought i remembered Twoheaded being on of those militant "because you guys distribute lossy formats, pj tapers have hundreds of shows no one will ever get to hear!"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:52 am 
a joke

Sometimes I forget you guys are relative kids. Years ago I thought i remembered Twoheaded being on of those militant "because you guys distribute lossy formats, pj tapers have hundreds of shows no one will ever get to hear!"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:08 am 
Coast to Coast

Post it again.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:40 am 
Got Some
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Who have _I_ worked with? I'm not a mastering engineer, but my buddy built a studio and I've recorded there. He's less known for his studio chops and more for his live sound reinforcement and lighting, which has included Fiona Apple amongst others. After I recorded some stuff with him (my 4th studio, personally), I worked with a mastering engineer who has done work for a number of major and indie labels. Seeing as I'm a nobody, I didn't put forth the coin to work with Butch Vig or Bob Ludwig, but the people I've worked with are respected professionals in the field.

I never directly questioned your credentials, but you never offered them either...I just made an observation that you don't seem to understand how an album is produced. You have yet to offer evidence contrary to that opinion, which is fine - nobody's forcing you to. I find it pretty humorous that you shut down the conversation and went all ad hominem, though.

As for the taper thing...I know nothing about Pearl Jam trading anymore. But I still know about trading and taping in general to an extent, and I have seen multiple incidents (not specific to Pearl Jam) through the years where a recording has been mp3'ed or youtube'd and it was from a taper or collector who might have had multiple things of interest, but after that they did not provide any more material. I know there's still plenty of hoarded Pearl Jam recordings out there from the pre-2k days, though I'm sure most has nothing to do with mp3 traders. I never said I agreed with this practice - in fact, I'm a believer in that once you have given it to someone else, it may get out, and you need to be accepting of that and act accordingly, not get pissed when you open Pandora's Box and things happen outside your intentions. I of course prefer that recordings be traded in lossless and you do whatever you want for your own personal use as long as you don't trade it, but I'm farrrrr beyond the point of going all sermon on the mount about that sort of thing. Any animosity toward me on this subject is a "shoot the messenger" type deal, because I have always freely provided anything that I have personally taped...though I have a backlog of stuff right now, but not on purpose.

Edit: And yeah, this was an argument from 2004 I believe. I was 22. That's pretty scary, ugh.

Anyway, carry on.

Me on Google+
Campaign For Liberty
Ludwig Von Mises Institute
antiwar.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:43 am 
Red Mosquito, my libido

Team spenno.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:31 am 
Former PJ Drummer

im brick walling the shit out of my recording right now.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:49 am 
Unthought Known

The Platypus and his attorney dog are bringin' the funny on this page. The rest of you, not so much.

"Remember back the early days when you were young and thus amazed."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:31 am 
statistically insignificant

twobuffalohededboy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:49 am 
Former PJ Drummer

EV Tour posters up for sale now....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:51 am 
Unthought Known

this page was pretty funny. bwavo!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:57 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

twoheadedboy wrote:
I never directly questioned your credentials

Perhaps not, but your indirect questioning of them was pretty unambiguous:

twoheadedboy wrote:
Unless you are a mastering engineer, or a record company representative, or a member of Pearl Jam, you have no basis whatsoever to say "it's bad mastering"
twoheadedboy wrote:
I know I'm not the only here who has worked with an actual recording studio and mastering engineers, right?

To clarify, I was the one who questioned your credentials, not spenno--he didn't "shut down the conversation and go all ad hominem" on you, that was me, he simply chuckled at you and decided you weren't worth arguing with. However, since you seem to be so preoccupied with pointing out others' failure to understand areas in which you are apparently an expert, I might behoove you to consider that this:

twoheadedboy wrote:
Unless you are a mastering engineer, or a record company representative, or a member of Pearl Jam, you have no basis whatsoever to say "it's bad mastering"

was the first instance of an ad hominem argument being made in this discussion, a dismissal of someone's opinion based not on the merits of the opinion itself but on what you feel the person's "qualifications" are. It's similar to saying, "Unless you're a gourmet chef, you have no basis whatsoever to identify a burnt steak, only to say that you don't like it."

Generally, I couldn't care less what your credentials are, and find them largely irrelevant to the discussion, though I understand how you would gain knowledge through the experience. However, once you started your pompous blathering to the tune of, "Oh, I just can't be the only one here who's worked with a real mastering engineer, now, can I?," "Unless you're a mastering engineer, or a record company rep, blah blah blah," etc., it only seemed fair that you too should pony up and explain what makes you so qualified to wave your finger around giving everyone lectures on the recording process. To this point, these qualifications seem to include (a) having a friend who built a recording studio and ran lighting for Fiona Apple (which, to continue with my earlier cooking analogy, is kind of like claiming culinary expertise on the basis of the fact that your next-door-neighbor once washed Wolfgang Puck's dishes), and (b) having made some recordings with a yet unnamed "respected professional in the field" who "has done work for a number of major and indie labels."

I don't think anyone begrudges you your opinion on the mastering qualities of various Pearl Jam records, but I think it's probably safe to say that nobody thinks your opinion is any more important simply because you, like everyone else it seems, have made some recordings with your buddy and whoever else you paid to have finish the job.

twoheadedboy wrote:
Keyboard and percussion overdubs are songwriting flourishes not production

I also don't think these two things are as mutually exclusive as you suggest. In fact, you could make the case that production in general is just one gigantic songwriting flourish.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:17 pm 
Global Moderator

do you think we would have had this conversation under the old 10c memberships?

The perfect gift for certain occasions

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:34 pm 
On the bright side

Why would people not share recordings pre 2k if they had them?

If you need to be able to say "I'm a member of an elite club of PJ fans because I have a special recording" to boost your ego, your life was f*cked a long time ago.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1409 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam