Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1409 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67 ... 71  Next
 Post subject: Re: The New 10c Memberships(now with Anal Log)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:21 pm 
too drunk to moderate properly
 WWW  Profile

Riot Actor 25 wrote:
¡B! wrote:
Yeah, I gotta cut Caryn a break. When I started moderating/reporting, it be came very apparent that you guys are dicks.

Even me?

Especially you.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:46 pm 
Unthought Known

¡B! wrote:
Riot Actor 25 wrote:
¡B! wrote:
Yeah, I gotta cut Caryn a break. When I started moderating/reporting, it be came very apparent that you guys are dicks.

Even me?

Especially you.

Good. I have a reputation to uphold. We can't go around having anyone think I'm a nice person in real life now, can we?

"Remember back the early days when you were young and thus amazed."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:05 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

i used to re-new on the hope that maybe one day they'd tour near me again (halifax being the closest) but after the so called 2011 "canadian" tour i dont see that ever happening again
being married w/ a mortgage = no more roadtrips for this 30 somethign guy

i dont think i can justify paying that much for 2 songs every 2 years or so and a lil' digest that doesnt even keep me interested for one sitting on the throne

that t-shirt was an embarrassment, the only time i wear it is after a shower once im in for the night after going to the gym or something.

renewal is due, but i think i'm out

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:17 pm 
Unthought Known

If you drop out and the grace period expires, how about sharing your number with the rest of us folk curious as to whether or not we're moving up in the line ever closer to the hairplugs?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:46 pm 
Force of Nature

This is disappointing to read the whole Tim B contacting fan sites things goes back 10 years.

That issue with PJ lawyers going after blogs posting audience recordings of The Fixer taped outside the venue is absurd.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:12 am 
a joke

lol@ everything.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:36 am 
Force of Nature

This is no laughing matter sir!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:37 am 
 WWW  Profile

I'd stick with Analog if I got seat preference over Digital.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:24 am 
Red Mosquito, my libido

¡B! wrote:
I'd stick with Analog if I got seat preference over Digital.

Shut up lest you give them ideas.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:36 am 
Former PJ Drummer

I keep hoping one day I will randomly ride up the chair lift in the mountains here with Jeff Ament. I think I would definitely give him a piece of my mind re: Tim. I would also tell them to stop being pussy's and respect Binaural as I do.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:06 pm 
a joke

62strat wrote:
I keep hoping one day I will randomly ride up the chair lift in the mountains here with Jeff Ament. I think I would definitely give him a piece of my mind re: Tim. I would also tell them to stop being pussy's and respect Binaural as I do.

That's the real sad thing. We (myself included) think that if the band really knew what was going on, it would matter at all. It wouldn't, and unfortunately it's already too late. How many tours, ticket sales, great promotional opportunities have been bungled by this fan club over the past 15 years that would have made being a pearl jam fan "fun?" How many thousands of dollars have been either thrown away, or just wasted? That time, those wasted opportunities, are things that we can't get back.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:11 pm 
Force of Nature

Skitch Patterson wrote:
That's the real sad thing. How many tours, ticket sales, great promotional opportunities have been bungled by this fan club over the past 15 years that would have made being a pearl jam fan "fun?" How many thousands of dollars have been either thrown away, or just wasted? That time, those wasted opportunities, are things that we can't get back.

Oh good God, people. This represents as much over-the-top emotional nonsense as the fanboi Synergy posts.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:31 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Skitch Patterson wrote:
How many tours, ticket sales, great promotional opportunities have been bungled by this fan club over the past 15 years that would have made being a pearl jam fan "fun?"

12?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:46 pm 
Unthought Known

¡B! wrote:
Skitch Patterson wrote:
How many tours, ticket sales, great promotional opportunities have been bungled by this fan club over the past 15 years that would have made being a pearl jam fan "fun?"

12?

Jesus, I hope that's not the right answer.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:56 pm 
Global Moderator

track12 wrote:
Skitch Patterson wrote:
That's the real sad thing. How many tours, ticket sales, great promotional opportunities have been bungled by this fan club over the past 15 years that would have made being a pearl jam fan "fun?" How many thousands of dollars have been either thrown away, or just wasted? That time, those wasted opportunities, are things that we can't get back.

Oh good God, people. This represents as much over-the-top emotional nonsense as the fanboi Synergy posts.

has it been so arduous being a fan?

The perfect gift for certain occasions

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:04 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:16 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Riot Actor 25 wrote:
¡B! wrote:
Skitch Patterson wrote:

12?

Jesus, I hope that's not the right answer.

10?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:52 am 
a joke

track12 wrote:
Skitch Patterson wrote:

lol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:38 am 
Master of Meh

spenno wrote:
Well, I think Jack leaving suddenly made a bigger impact on the band than they've ever acknowledged. Matt's drumming has a markedly different character than either Jack or Dave, both of whom had a very groove-based feel (though they expressed it differently). Matt's drumming is brilliant (and RM knows how much I like his very clever songwriting) but I still don't think he's a good fit with Pearl Jam - or, more accurately, what Pearl Jam was up until Jack left. I feel like they basically became a very different band upon Matt joining, for better or worse. Far more so than when they kicked Dave out for Jack.

Binaural worked because the band were willing to place themselves out of their natural creative comfort zone to make Matt's style fit. Ed even talked in the PJ20 book of forcing himself to write differently so the songs would be more suited to Matt's pounding feel - I don't if he mentioned specific titles, but that immediately brings to mind songs like Insignificance and Grievance. I'm not sure how sustainable that is, though - to force yourself to write in a way that doesn't come naturally - and I've sometimes wondered if that's the root of my dissatisfaction with the band's post-Binaural efforts.

The heart of the sound of Pearl Jam is Gossard and Ament (and Ed's vocals, of course). Those guys have played together for a long, long time and there's a certain open, groove-based feel to their playing that was consistent from Mother Love Bone through to Yield that I feel has been marginalised since Matt joined. Cameron might be one of the greatest drummers of his generation, but I don't know if his natural groove is the same as that of Jeff and Stone. My first listen to that new Soundgarden song, underwhelming as it is, confirmed for me how much more I like the sound of his playing set against Thayil and Shepherd.

I don't know, I'm probably wrong.

In addition to this, I think almost all bands eventually reach a point where their ability to creatively challenge each other dims. Perhaps Pearl Jam would've reached this point after 2000 regardless, even if Jack had remained in the band. That's not to say they don't still enjoy playing together but that essential spark is no longer there; good songs just don't flow like they once did. I wonder if that point is hard to recognise, particularly from the inside, without the benefit of hindsight.

"I get afraid of losing that creative energy. Where it's like 'where's it going to come from'? Am I going to lose it someday, or will I have it for a while and then will it just run out? Because I've seen that happen to other bands." - hmm.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:50 am 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

I'm with you Spencer. Even in that new SG song he has that locked in laid back groove he only seems to be able to materialise with SG...Fell on black days is my favourite example of that. Then you get to something like Light years which has a similar setup tempo wise and he just sounds like hes chugging along and it's rather uninspired, so he's either doing that with PJ or overplaying. he's still a great drummer but for PJ? not so much. I do miss Jack's playing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1409 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67 ... 71  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam