Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Favorite Drummer
Team Krusen 0%  0%  [ 1 ]
Team Chamberlin 0%  0%  [ 1 ]
Team Abbruzzese 27%  27%  [ 28 ]
Team Shoaf 0%  0%  [ 1 ]
Team Irons 40%  40%  [ 42 ]
Team Cameron 29%  29%  [ 30 ]
Total votes : 103
 Post subject: Re: Dave, Dave, Jack and Matt
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 8:23 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Tig wrote:
Too bad Jeff and Dave didnt know that.

There are different levels of compromise, I think.

On one level, the situation may have been along the lines of, "Well, we disagree on gun control and issues of fame. If we don't address gun control within the context of the band, and agree to meet halfway on how much press we do, we can carry on harmoniously within our group."

On another level, it might have been more akin to Jeff saying, "Well, Dave, we disagree on whether or not I should walk up behind you onstage tomorrow and beat you mercilessly with my bass while you're trying to play "Elderly Woman." If we can agree that you resign as our drummer, we can ensure that you don't have to have a blood transfusion first thing tomorrow morning."

All's I'm saying is, there may have been more compromise going on than it might appear.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 10:12 pm 
Force of Nature

:haha: this is true. I wonder if we'll ever know what actually happened...

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 10:49 pm 
Got Some

I'd like to know Jeff's honest take on which drummer he liked to play along with the most (especially live).... or which he thought complimented his own groove/style the most. He'd obviously say Matt if asked, but I wonder if it'd be the truth.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 3:07 am 
Stone's Bitch

bodysnatcher wrote:
I'd like to know Jeff's honest take on which drummer he liked to play along with the most (especially live).... or which he thought complimented his own groove/style the most. He'd obviously say Matt if asked, but I wonder if it'd be the truth.

Knowing the little I know about Jeff, I think he would answer that question pretty honestly. He doesn't give a fuck about what people think of him.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 3:19 am 
Coast to Coast

Monkey_Driven wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:

Knowing the little I know about Jeff, I think he would answer that question pretty honestly. He doesn't give a fuck about what people think of him.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=96715

Your thread?

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 3:20 am 
Red Mosquito, my libido

theplatypus wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=96715

Your thread?

:roll:

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 3:27 am 
Master of Meh

Monkey_Driven wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:

At the risk of stating the obvious, I'm pretty sure bodysnatcher's point was that his answer would predictably be coloured by his own feelings about the former drummers (especially Abbruzzese) on a personal level - it has nothing to do with Jeff fearing what people would think of him.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 3:29 am 
Stone's Bitch

spenno wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:

At the risk of stating the obvious, I'm pretty sure bodysnatcher's point was that his answer would predictably be coloured by his own feelings about the former drummers (especially Abbruzzese) on a personal level - it has nothing to do with Jeff fearing what people would think of him.

Oh, I know. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:59 pm 
Master of Meh

Listened to a bit of Hartford 1996 this morning. As time goes on, whenever I revisit Jack Irons-era Pearl Jam I'm struck by the feeling that (in terms of my appreciation of the band) it's all been downhill since he left - and on most of the songs I've enjoyed since, I can't help but think I'd enjoy them more with him behind the kit.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:45 am 
Banned from the Pit

I first saw PJ in 1995 and I was really pissed that Dave A wasn't still with the band (at the show there was a Bring Back Dave flag). I found that the energy wasn't quite the same with Jack and that the guys weren't as physical and into it (compared to live footage I had seen), maybe with the exception of Jeff. It was still an amazing show but as a drummer myself, I missed Dave.

Dave A was a huge influence on my drumming and I can't hear those songs in the same way with Jack or Matt behind the kit. There are some songs that neither of those guys can play Rats, Even Flow come to mind. Dave had a bounce to his groove that really played well off the guitars. He said in a MD interview that his kick locks in with Jeff while his hats try to play off the guitar parts. That's how I approach my playing (I like cymbals and own 2 splashes ala Dave).

Now I know that Dave could not play Who You Are and IMTree or even IGot Shit like Jack, and he couldn't do some of the time sig Cameron stuff Grievance. And I feel it's tough that Matt gets judged on everything but the others aren't (and can never be unless we had a truce and Dave A played a current setlist which would be amazing.)

So I prefer Dave but I appreciate Jack and Matt./ But when I listen to Jack or Matt, there are some tracks that just don't sound right and have me running back to the old boots.

also, I remember an interview with Jeff where he said that 'X' was the perfect drummer for PJ. I thought it was around 93 and he was talking about Dave A but that can't be right. does anyone remember that?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:17 pm 
Force of Nature
 WWW  Profile

I found this interview interesting - not the least because DA seems really comfortable talking about PJ and their impact as well as his role in that. There's also a nice little story about when he first auditioned as a drummer and someone gave him the Ten CD and he says he couldn't listen to more than 20 seconds of each song since it "wasn't his taste" - I'm not completely certain whether he is referring to the drumming, the music or both. Certainly he didn't like Krusen's drumming.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:20 pm 
Unthought Known

I got a whole new appreciation for Krusen after heard the BOB mix of Ten. He is nothing short of phenomenal on Porch.

I'm no expert, but I find Dave and Dave to be closer in style than either Jack or Matt.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:33 pm 
Stone's Bitch

liamdog7 wrote:
Dave A was a huge influence on my drumming and I can't hear those songs in the same way with Jack or Matt behind the kit. There are some songs that neither of those guys can play Rats, Even Flow come to mind. Dave had a bounce to his groove that really played well off the guitars. He said in a MD interview that his kick locks in with Jeff while his hats try to play off the guitar parts.

Not the biggest Dave A fan but this is a good point. Evenflow, especially under the Cameron administration, is too mechanical and fast for its own good. I like the word you used - "bounce." That is what's missing in the funkier songs.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:17 pm 
Unthought Known

Listening to "Even Flow" live from the Orpheum '94. Dave A. is really good. He's doing this ring things on the ride, and has a nice rat-a-tat-tat thing going on with the snare and high hat. The pace of the song is on point to. It's a groove rocker, more like "Downtown" than the speed / mechanical song it is now.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:45 pm 
The Snowboy

I don't think Matt is a bad drummer at all, but I can instantly tell it's him on the drums - in a bad way. The grooves are often horribly basic and there's no finesse. That's OK, but it's boring.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:59 am 
Master of Meh

liamdog7 wrote:
I remember an interview with Jeff where he said that 'X' was the perfect drummer for PJ. I thought it was around 93 and he was talking about Dave A but that can't be right. does anyone remember that?

Not sure if this is what you're thinking of, it's probably not, but it made me think of this:

Quote:
http://www.fivehorizons.com/archive/articles/bp0494.shtml

Bass Player Magazine 4/94

BP: Did Dave Abbruzzese make a big difference?

AMENT: I've been lucky, because pretty much all the drummers I've played with have been good. But Dave is a more steady drummer, whereas Dave Krusen is kind of hit or miss. When Dave Krusen was on it was great -- it had a loose, laid-back, Charlie Watts-type feel, but often the feel of the songs pushed and pulled a little too much. Dave Abbruzzese is more of a rock drummer.

Which in turn made me think of Mike's quote from shortly after Jack joined that he was a great fit as he's a Matt Cameron-style drummer, pretty interesting in retrospect:

Quote:
http://www.fivehorizons.com/archive/articles/gw04951.shtml

Guitar World 4/95

GW: How is it working out with you new drummer, Jack Irons? Wasn't he the one who referred Eddie to you guys when you were originally looking for a singer?

MCCREADY: Yeah. Jack's amazing. Dave was a great musician, but I think Jack is a little more of a Matt Cameron (Soundgarden) type of drummer and is better suited to us. We actually feel like a complete band now for the first time. We're Spinal Tap when it comes to drummers [laughs], but I think this is gonna be the final change.

FYI Mike, Jack doesn't really play anything like Matt. I mean, they both play the drums, but that's about it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:36 pm 
Coast to Coast

Mike was probably high beyond reason.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:28 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

sometimes i picture the band doing music and one of them looking through this forum:

" hey they still have the discussion about the drummers"

:haha:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:06 pm 
Banned from the Pit

VinylGuy wrote:
sometimes i picture the band doing music and one of them looking through this forum:

They could always give us more music to bitch about. Or we could discuss their sponsors cause they now having fucking sponsors. Or buy a corduroy, sorry lumber jacket from the ten store.

Imagine being constantly reminded of your forthright douchey younger self.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:40 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

liamdog7 wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

They could always give us more music to bitch about. Or we could discuss their sponsors cause they now having fucking sponsors. Or buy a corduroy, sorry lumber jacket from the ten store.

Imagine being constantly reminded of your forthright douchey younger self.

i wonder if they read this stuff that happened like 20 years ago and think something like jeez those guys take this band and what we say pretty damn serious,,,

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam