Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: SOTM: Long Road
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:42 pm 
Force of Nature

love the song, but i don't really love the way eddie lou's been over-singing the parts near the end over the last few years.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:27 pm 
Supersonic

Didn't Warehouse mention that he writes the lyrics to this tune in that sign in book at funerals? I like that he does that.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:41 pm 
Supersonic

AndySlash wrote:
I transcribed the San Diego Long Road speech for a thread on this board some time back, but it probably belongs in here, too.

Ed's Speech, 7-7-06 San Diego

Quote:
"Well... I tell ya, we played a uh, we played a show last night and uh... we're a hard woking band, we play a show just about every night, but um... but it was in Las Vegas and, and there was some health issues... It was the worst fucking gig and, I just hated that gig. This is just great. Thanks so much for...

*crowd cheers*

...and the crowd was good last night, but uh... it was just a tough one, so uh, to get your encouragement to come out and, uh, get our uh, get all four wheels back on the road, we appreciate it greatly. Couldn't have done it without you. Or Sonic Youth.

And uh, and I also... you know last night, what I'd like to do is, is tell you a little story if I can. Uh... it might go on for a couple minutes, so if you're comfortable, or uh, go to the restroom, or, just make out with your girl, whatever you want to do... but uh, it'd be great to, to, to talk to you for a second uh, uh about something I went through and share it with you in regards to the music that we're playing uh, and uh, our presence here tonight. But, uh... it has to do with, with uh, with education, and, and in particular an educator. And, um...

Think about your lives, will ya? And uh, and if you have one teacher that really meant something in your life, and it changed your life, raise your hand. Let me see. Keely, let's see the lights.

*THOUSANDS of people in the crowd raise their hands*

So... not that I was expecting that, that's actually a higher percentage than to be expected but, really, if you see that around ya, you think of all the billions of dollars that's spent on other efforts and, and you think that, uh, education should probably be first off to create a better, more intelligent, loving, caring..... especially here in the U.S. where, where we have the opportunity to lead, and uh, and if we can do it with an artistic and intelligent sensibility you could only imagine the way things would be different. And environmentally, uh, thoughtful as well.

So, anyways, I just want to tell you a story about, uh, my experience if I may. And uh, I had, I had *a* teacher, who, uh, who got me through some things and, and taught me so much, and, and uh, a lot of us were touched by him, and uh, and, and it was a heart touch *places his fist on his heart*... it, uh, he's still with us today. And, um, and through a campaign of letter writing and, uh, there was a, uh, a small campaign that, that came together and, and we are getting now, a theater in Encinitas, in North County, named after my teacher.

*crowd cheers*

So there's gonna be a theater in North County, up in Encinitas, called the Clayton E. Ligget Theater. And uh, and some of the money from tonights, uh, tonights, uh, tickets go to that. And we're really proud of it and thank you for participating, and making me proud.

Now, uh, my friend and, uh, and mentor, Clayton, he's, he's no longer with us but he still lives inside of all those that he touched. Uh, and, and I just wanted to, 'cause I, I remember when I got the call that he had, he had passed. And uh, we were actually in the studio with Neil Young. We were recording a record called Mirrorball, and uh... We were in the back room, we were, we were having dinner, I think it was Japanese food. And um, and it was Neil and the guys and we got this phone call and, and as soon as I heard who it was I, I knew what it was. And, uh, after I heard the news, even though it was Neil, and the guys, I, I um, I just had to leave the room. And, and I left the room and I went into the studio, this empty studio and, uh, I picked up a guitar, uh, I think I was looking for someone else to talk to, outside of the conversation, but there was no one, but this guitar. So I, I picked it up and I hit a chord

*hits the first chord of Long Road*

and I

*chord*

I hit the chord again.

*chord*

*chord*

And I think I was trying to, like, ring a bell, right?

*chord*

I was trying to ring a bell, to, to say that, uh

*chord*

*Matt comes in*

we lost one of the good ones.

*chord*

This is an important moment, in history, we *chord* lost one of the good ones.

*chord*

So I kept hittin' the bell.

*chord*

For, like, eight minutes. Ten minutes.

*chord*

Then the other guys, and Neil, they came into the room.

*chord*

Without saying anything or anything.

*chord*

They just picked up their instruments.

*chord*

And started hittin' the bell with me.

*chord*

We were all recognizing

*chord*

We were all ringing a bell.

*chord*

And I went up to the mic and then this song happened, yeah?

*chord*

*chord*

So this night is for Clayton and this song is for Clayton. Thanks for listening.

*chord*

And I wished for so long...

Is this on YouTube or mp3?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:53 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

Coach wrote:
AndySlash wrote:
I transcribed the San Diego Long Road speech for a thread on this board some time back, but it probably belongs in here, too.

Quote:
"Well... I tell ya, we played a uh, we played a show last night and uh... we're a hard woking band, we play a show just about every night, but um... but it was in Las Vegas and, and there was some health issues... It was the worst fucking gig and, I just hated that gig. This is just great. Thanks so much for...

*crowd cheers*

...and the crowd was good last night, but uh... it was just a tough one, so uh, to get your encouragement to come out and, uh, get our uh, get all four wheels back on the road, we appreciate it greatly. Couldn't have done it without you. Or Sonic Youth.

And uh, and I also... you know last night, what I'd like to do is, is tell you a little story if I can. Uh... it might go on for a couple minutes, so if you're comfortable, or uh, go to the restroom, or, just make out with your girl, whatever you want to do... but uh, it'd be great to, to, to talk to you for a second uh, uh about something I went through and share it with you in regards to the music that we're playing uh, and uh, our presence here tonight. But, uh... it has to do with, with uh, with education, and, and in particular an educator. And, um...

Think about your lives, will ya? And uh, and if you have one teacher that really meant something in your life, and it changed your life, raise your hand. Let me see. Keely, let's see the lights.

So... not that I was expecting that, that's actually a higher percentage than to be expected but, really, if you see that around ya, you think of all the billions of dollars that's spent on other efforts and, and you think that, uh, education should probably be first off to create a better, more intelligent, loving, caring..... especially here in the U.S. where, where we have the opportunity to lead, and uh, and if we can do it with an artistic and intelligent sensibility you could only imagine the way things would be different. And environmentally, uh, thoughtful as well.

So, anyways, I just want to tell you a story about, uh, my experience if I may. And uh, I had, I had *a* teacher, who, uh, who got me through some things and, and taught me so much, and, and uh, a lot of us were touched by him, and uh, and, and it was a heart touch *places his fist on his heart*... it, uh, he's still with us today. And, um, and through a campaign of letter writing and, uh, there was a, uh, a small campaign that, that came together and, and we are getting now, a theater in Encinitas, in North County, named after my teacher.

*crowd cheers*

So there's gonna be a theater in North County, up in Encinitas, called the Clayton E. Ligget Theater. And uh, and some of the money from tonights, uh, tonights, uh, tickets go to that. And we're really proud of it and thank you for participating, and making me proud.

Now, uh, my friend and, uh, and mentor, Clayton, he's, he's no longer with us but he still lives inside of all those that he touched. Uh, and, and I just wanted to, 'cause I, I remember when I got the call that he had, he had passed. And uh, we were actually in the studio with Neil Young. We were recording a record called Mirrorball, and uh... We were in the back room, we were, we were having dinner, I think it was Japanese food. And um, and it was Neil and the guys and we got this phone call and, and as soon as I heard who it was I, I knew what it was. And, uh, after I heard the news, even though it was Neil, and the guys, I, I um, I just had to leave the room. And, and I left the room and I went into the studio, this empty studio and, uh, I picked up a guitar, uh, I think I was looking for someone else to talk to, outside of the conversation, but there was no one, but this guitar. So I, I picked it up and I hit a chord

and I

*chord*

I hit the chord again.

*chord*

*chord*

*chord*

*chord*

*Matt comes in*

*chord*

*chord*

*chord*

*chord*

*chord*

*chord*

*chord*

*chord*

We were all recognizing

*chord*

*chord*

*chord*

*chord*

So this night is for Clayton and this song is for Clayton. Thanks for listening.

*chord*

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:17 am 
The Snowboy

This song is the dog's bollocks. I love it. Emotionally poignant and well written, a combination that's rarer for PJ than some think. The best version is on Touring Band, I think, but I can't comment on very recent ones - haven't heard them.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:43 pm 
Supersonic

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Coach wrote:
AndySlash wrote:

Quote:

*crowd cheers*

*crowd cheers*

and I

*chord*

I hit the chord again.

*chord*

*chord*

*chord*

*chord*

*Matt comes in*

*chord*

*chord*

*chord*

*chord*

*chord*

*chord*

*chord*

*chord*

We were all recognizing

*chord*

*chord*

*chord*

*chord*

*chord*

Nifty.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam