Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:37 am 
Stone's Butch

I never knew where this was from when I first saw TB2000, but I knew I loved it. Beautiful lyrics, I think TB is my fav version but only because I have visuals to see the smoke rising and Ed's passion. Mansfield acoustic is awesome as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:01 am 
Force of Nature

5 stars.

I love everything about this song. I think most emotional songs get me :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:41 am 
Banned from the Pit

5 stars

I LOVE this song.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:24 am 
Stone's Bitch

4 stars

first song off the first record i've bought by pearl jam, so it's special

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:39 am 
Epitome of cool
 WWW  Profile

Human Bass wrote:
4 stars? are you fuckin kidding with me?

Its 5 and some more!

There is a story behind this.

I consider the song overall 5 stars, without a doubt. Even my lone critique wouldn't hinder giving it that rating.

Why I rated it as 4 stars are purely for subjective reasons. My younger brother was in the army for 3 years, and had a tour of duty in both Afghanistan and Iraq. During both tours, I listened to Long Road constantly because of the line, "I have wished for so long, how I wish for you today." The reasoning behind this is pretty self explanatory; I missed him so much and just wanted him to come home. And there was no better lyric in any song I had ever heard that encapsulated how I felt during such distress.

But there's a flip side to that coin. Knowing the song is about death, and some of the imagery about a funeral, it made me think some very dark thoughts about his potential fate. Many a time I would listen to it as an attempt to think good thoughts, and then the demons would come and my eyes would be welled up with tears by the end. Whenever I wrote my brother, I always ended each letter with the aforementioned line. I never mentioned the darkness on the periphery.

So I rated the song 4 stars because it brings back some painful memories of the panic and anxiety I experienced during certain periods of my life. I think the song is damn near perfect, but to this day it's a tough listen for me. That doesn't mean I don't love it, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:58 am 
Stone's Bitch

dirtyfrank0705 wrote:
Human Bass wrote:

Its 5 and some more!

I consider the song overall 5 stars, without a doubt. Even my lone critique wouldn't hinder giving it that rating.

Why I rated it as 4 stars are purely for subjective reasons. My younger brother was in the army for 3 years, and had a tour of duty in both Afghanistan and Iraq. During both tours, I listened to Long Road constantly because of the line, "I have wished for so long, how I wish for you today." The reasoning behind this is pretty self explanatory; I missed him so much and just wanted him to come home. And there was no better lyric in any song I had ever heard that encapsulated how I felt during such distress.

But there's a flip side to that coin. Knowing the song is about death, and some of the imagery about a funeral, it made me think some very dark thoughts about his potential fate. Many a time I would listen to it as an attempt to think good thoughts, and then the demons would come and my eyes would be welled up with tears by the end. Whenever I wrote my brother, I always ended each letter with the aforementioned line. I never mentioned the darkness on the periphery.

So I rated the song 4 stars because it brings back some painful memories of the panic and anxiety I experienced during certain periods of my life. I think the song is damn near perfect, but to this day it's a tough listen for me. That doesn't mean I don't love it, though.

damn...that's really something...I'm speechless.

Winner, 2008 US Pearl Jam fantasy league. :D

Everton FC: 3-1-5
Anaheim Webbed D's: 5-6-2
USC Football: 7-2
Denver Broncos: 3-5

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:43 am 
Unthought Known

Peeps wrote:
there will never ever ever ever be a better version than the one on TB2k

The Telethon version.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:01 am 
Stone's Bitch

pearljamfan80 wrote:
dirtyfrank0705 wrote:
Human Bass wrote:

Its 5 and some more!

damn...that's really something...I'm speechless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:12 pm 
Banned from the Pit

Five stars in my book, a no brainer. Easily my favorite opener. One of those songs that really allows Ed's voice to shine on.
Adaptable song too. Sounds great acoustic or full on electric. Or slightly slowed down or sped up.
I think song could work as a closer every now and then too.
Love this song. 8)

Charlotte/Charleston/Maui/Atlanta/Birmingham/Greenville/West Palm/Alpine Valley/San Francisco (Bridge)/Las Vegas/Seattle/Indy/St Paul/MSG/Asheville/Kissimmee/ Montreal/Ottawa/Philly/Cleveland/Cincinnati
Next up: ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:41 pm 
Force of Nature
 WWW  Profile

One of my absolute all time favorites.

The song really goes deep into the soul, it's simple yet profound. The kind of song that can only be born out of a special moment like Ed described it in San Diego. These sort of songs 'just happen'. It's the heart and soul singing, no mind, just emotions, if you know what I mean.

And one of my favorite versions, if not the favorite version, is the one from Groundworks 2001. It's just about the moment in time back then, and the fact that it has Rahat on it. It makes is special, and really amazing, it brings the whole song to a whole another level.

His vocalization really matches the song well. Without any words, it's as simple as the song itself, yet equally powerful and emotional.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:21 pm 
Johnny Guitar

Great song. Absolutely incredible live as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:09 am 
Got Some

words can't describe how amazingly beautiful this song is.

he nails it on the 9/11 version - it's also great on the dead man walking soundtrack

GO LEAFS GO GO LEAFS GO GO LEAFS GO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:10 am 
Banned from the Pit

Not to be an apostate or anything, but I like the extended version featuring Nusrat Fateh Ali Kahn on the Dead Man Walking score. For me that's the definitive version of the song.

Just my $.02.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:12 am 
Got Some

The Loony Moony wrote:
Not to be an apostate or anything, but I like the extended version featuring Nusrat Fateh Ali Kahn on the Dead Man Walking score. For me that's the definitive version of the song.

Just my $.02.

me also,, i'm lucky enough to own that cd - i got it on ebay for like 10 bucks -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:25 am 
In a van down by the river

Hinny wrote:
Peeps wrote:
there will never ever ever ever be a better version than the one on TB2k

The Telethon version.

yea, you should be de-modded for that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:57 am 
Stone's Bitch

This is an easy 5-star song. There are a few versions from 2000 that are just plain awesome. The Phoenix version is awesome, which is the one they used on TB2K, I think. The acoustic version lacks instrumentally, I think, and the Tribute To Heroes version is full of passion but misses the mark slightly for me. So I'm with the TB2K crew on this one. TB2K > Merkinball.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:37 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Kitchener (on 9/11) was clearly the best ever version. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:37 pm 
Menace to Dogciety

dirtyfrank0705 wrote:
Human Bass wrote:

Its 5 and some more!

well, the fact that the song is powerful its that bothers you deeply can be one more reason to give it a 5...

I'm just a painful reminder
Another day you leave behind

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:48 pm 
Cameron's Stallion
 WWW  Profile

long road is a pretty good track, but all of ten is better, excluding oceans, but only just

13/11/06 Melbourne, 20/11/09 Melbourne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:40 pm 
Got Some

adamdude wrote:
long road is a pretty good track, but all of ten is better, excluding oceans, but only just

:shock:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam