Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:44 am 
Menace to Dogciety

adamdude wrote:
long road is a pretty good track, but all of ten is better, excluding oceans, but only just

BANNED!

I'm just a painful reminder
Another day you leave behind

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:15 am 
Force of Nature

such a great, great song, nothing else to add besides favorite versions:

1- houston 00 (other guitars filled in more beautifully than i've ever heard)
2- boston 3 (absolutely amazing acousticly)
3- va beach 00 (if only because you can truly sense the emotional moment)
3- 9-11 tribute (acoustic and neil)
4- bridge school 03 (more neil, great way to end the set)
5- berlin 96 (good early version)

certainly a lot to pick from, which tells a lot about how stellar of a song it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:19 am 
Stone's Bitch

Human Bass wrote:
adamdude wrote:
long road is a pretty good track, but all of ten is better, excluding oceans, but only just

BANNED!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:26 am 
Unthought Known

inmytree wrote:
Human Bass wrote:
adamdude wrote:

BANNED!

I did, for a few seconds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:20 pm 
Needs to start paying for bandwidth

light_years62103 wrote:
such a great, great song, nothing else to add besides favorite versions:

1- houston 00 (other guitars filled in more beautifully than i've ever heard)
2- boston 3 (absolutely amazing acousticly)
3- va beach 00 (if only because you can truly sense the emotional moment)
3- 9-11 tribute (acoustic and neil)
4- bridge school 03 (more neil, great way to end the set)
5- berlin 96 (good early version)

certainly a lot to pick from, which tells a lot about how stellar of a song it is.

add Not In Our Name concert in LA 1998, with Rahat Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, brought me to tears. the only singing voice, that has ever made me cry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:34 pm 
Force of Nature

I would like to make a lyric dispute. I have said this in previous posts so this will be my final protest.

I believe Eddie is saying "Holding hands of daughters and sons in their phase of falling down."

I just makes so much more sense. When do you hold the hands of daughters and sons? When they are children, in those early phases of learning to walk when they need the support and protection of their parents to make sure they don't fall.
Think about the overall theme of the song; we all walk the long road of life. You hold the hands of your children as they take the first steps down that "Long Road" because they can't do it themselves without falling.
I also think it works with the contrast of birth and death and the many phases we move through on this journey between those two points.

"and the faiths are falling down" doesn't make a damn bit of sense to me. Grammatically, it is very awkward and logically I don't see how it fits with anything in the lyrics. Most of all, it just doesn't sound like that is what he is saying on any version that I have heard.

Ok, that being said, I love this song too. For some reason the Merriweather Post 1996 version was always my favorite but seeing the San Diego 06 version might be my all time favorite PJ experience ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:53 pm 
Got Some
 YIM  Profile

5 stars from me. Just a real POWERFUL song. I love it.

I remember watching the Tribute to Heroes version at work when it was on and being totally blown away.

http://www.last.fm/user/csibrandon/

RIP: Evil Bunny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:11 pm 
Force of Nature
 WWW  Profile

drifting away wrote:
I believe Eddie is saying "Holding hands of daughters and sons in their phase of falling down."

Heh, you just may be right, sir.

The 'official' version has always seemed a bit awkward to me too. I just had a listen to a few live versions and the studio version, and 'phase' seems to be much closer the the truth. Ed definitely sings

'daughters and sons, IN the...' and not 'daughters and sons, AND the...'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:17 am 
Epitome of cool
 WWW  Profile

drifting away wrote:
I would like to make a lyric dispute. I have said this in previous posts so this will be my final protest.

I respect your interpretation, but I still think it's "faith's falling down." To me, it absolutely does make sense; the death of a loved one is a common reason people lose faith in religion or lose hope overall. It's a very tough wake-up call that can shatter someone's world. I actually think how we see the line is the same, it's only the actual words that we don't agree on. But the next time I break out the headphones, I'm going to listen to that line very carefully to see if I hear it your way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:49 am 
Johnny Guitar

Woundn't you know, I love that song "Longroad" they always seem to play that at shows I am at.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:06 am 
Force of Nature

That was a really good write up Friank.

I love this song. 5 stars. Before my Nana died, she had a couple of strokes and I played this song over and over and it just seemed to capture everything that I was feeling but couldn't express.

This was the first song that I saw them play at my first ever concert.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:08 am 
Johnny Guitar

5 Stars. One of my top 5 songs in their entire catalog. No better opener than Long Road. Just a great, great, inspirational song.

Please don't forget about Borgata I in '05. Just classic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:58 am 
Epitome of cool
 WWW  Profile

I can't believe the irony in this, but here is the truth: my grandfather died tonight. I just got back from the hospital where the priest read him his last rites, and I lost it. This is not a good time.

Stip asked me to write up a new SOTM for this Thursday, saying that they shouldn't normally last longer than a week. I was going to do a write-up of Dirty Frank, but given the circumstances, I'm going to leave this song up until Stip gets back on Sunday. I'm sure he'll understand. This SOTM is dedicated to John Albert Soroka Jr, born 5/16/25 and died on 7/31/06.

I'll be saying some words for him at his funeral, and this song will surely be incorporated. I love you, grandpa. RIP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:01 am 
Supersonic

dirtyfrank0705 wrote:
I can't believe the irony in this, but here is the truth: my grandfather died tonight. I just got back from the hospital where the priest read him his last rites, and I lost it. This is not a good time.

Stip asked me to write up a new SOTM for this Thursday, saying that they shouldn't normally last longer than a week. I was going to do a write-up of Dirty Frank, but given the circumstances, I'm going to leave this song up until Stip gets back on Sunday. I'm sure he'll understand. This SOTM is dedicated to John Albert Soroka Jr, born 5/16/25 and died on 7/31/06.

I'll be saying some words for him at his funeral, and this song will surely be incorporated. I love you, grandpa. RIP.

Frank, I'm sorry to hear about your loss. If you need anything at all, you know how to get ahold of me!

you're in my soul now. you've got to waste away with me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:25 am 
Force of Nature

dirtyfrank0705 wrote:

I'm sorry for you loss. Take care.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:00 am 
Stone's Bitch

dirtyfrank0705 wrote:

:( I'm sorry man, hope you feel better soon.

Winner, 2008 US Pearl Jam fantasy league. :D

Everton FC: 3-1-5
Anaheim Webbed D's: 5-6-2
USC Football: 7-2
Denver Broncos: 3-5

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:04 pm 
Reissued

washmykev wrote:
Peeps wrote:
there will never ever ever ever be a better version than the one on The Tribute to Heroes DVD

i really like the tribute to heroes version. can't say anything that hasn't been said before. i give it 4 stars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:47 pm 
Supersonic
 WWW  Profile

dirtyfrank0705 wrote:

I'm sorry man, hopefully you and your family will be OK.

Proud member of the Copenhagen Fap Crew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:40 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Long Road...God what a great song

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:21 am 
Interweb Celebrity

dirtyfrank0705 wrote:

frank...i'm heartbroken to hear about your loss.

i've been thinking lately of how i'd say goodbye to a family member if i ever lost one and i thought about this song immediately.

my condolences.

We gotta watch our backs

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam