Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 363  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam's Tenth Album
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:40 pm 
Supersonic

If it wasn't for Drunk Sincerity, everything after Spirit Shine would be maybe my second favorite run of songs on any BR album.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:00 am 
too drunk to moderate properly
 WWW  Profile

BILLBOARD: Does Pearl Jam have any plans to record?

STONE: The band has been talking. We were actually talking about trying to get in before Bridge School but I think this Band Of Horses [tour] with Brad is going to make that harder to do. But the band is definitely going to get together probably without Ed and start to hammer out some more demos and get some stuff to the point where he can hear. So no plans, but no rush. But I'll be ready to go whenever everybody calls me.

http://www.billboard.com/news/for-pearl ... ory?page=2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:37 am 
Got Some

I've been waiting since 2003 for a decent follow up record to Yield, Binaural and Riot Act (the black albums) so this needs to be it. It would be nice to get it in 2011 but if they're thinking of doing a SA tour then I reckon it won't get released until 2012.

The band need to get back to pushing the boat out, musically and lyrically. Frankly, stuff like Johnny Guitar, Comatose, Supersonic, Speed of Sound, Big Wave, Come Back, Force of Nature, Marker in the Sand and Parachuters is not vintage Pearl Jam. The band needs more All or None, Insignificance, Of the Girl, Faithful, Ghost, In Hiding, Get Right, Light Years, I Am Mine. Those tracks stand out, when you hear them you can't think immediately of another track that is similar.

T-shirts on the way

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:06 pm 
Global Moderator

OmegaprimeVKM wrote:
I've been waiting since 2003 for a decent follow up record to Yield, Binaural and Riot Act (the black albums) so this needs to be it. It would be nice to get it in 2011 but if they're thinking of doing a SA tour then I reckon it won't get released until 2012.

The band need to get back to pushing the boat out, musically and lyrically. Frankly, stuff like Johnny Guitar, Comatose, Supersonic, Speed of Sound, Big Wave, Come Back, Force of Nature, Marker in the Sand and Parachuters is not vintage Pearl Jam. The band needs more All or None, Insignificance, Of the Girl, Faithful, Ghost, In Hiding, Get Right, Light Years, I Am Mine. Those tracks stand out, when you hear them you can't think immediately of another track that is similar.

what pearl jam songs were immediately similar to come back, marker, parachutes, speed of sound, or johnny guitar? How are In Hiding, Faithful, All or None, Ghost, or Get Right truly original songs--they all have similar moments in PJ's catalog. And Ghost and Get Right as vintage Pearl Jam. I like both of those songs but this is like Spenno praying for an album full of evacuations.

If you don't like the last two records so be it but this is basically a personal preference argument. I was waiting 15 years for what I thought was a worthwhile successor to vitalogy so I can sympathize (I thought S/T was it but the second half of that record didn't age well) but I would not have argued that the intervening records were stale or not trying new things musically. Every record PJ has ever done has its own musical identity, its own thematic coherence. Each one has something it is trying to prove. Some are more successful than others, and we're drawn to the ones that speak to us, but not enjoying a product is not the same thing as that product being lazy. Pearl Jam has never made a lazy record.

The perfect gift for certain occasions

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:57 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

The only song on S/T I still listen to is Parachutes. Love that song so much.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:50 pm 
Global Moderator

that's the song that grew on me the most. The first 3 are still my 3 favorites, but parachutes is 4th, and it would have been much lower when the record came out.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:54 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

I don't even listen to Marker anymore. Let alone the rest of that album.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:56 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

I actually liked ST a lot when it first came out. I was twenty years old and stupid. But even then I remember going "how come this doesn't SOUND as good as other Pearl Jam albums?". But yeah, I remember reading here all the love Marker was getting and even then I didn't quite get the love for that song. I loved Parachutes from the very start though and the only songs I'd listen to from that album now are Parachutes and Wasted Reprise.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:14 pm 
too drunk to moderate properly
 WWW  Profile

OmegaprimeVKM wrote:
I've been waiting since 2003 for a decent follow up record to Yield, Binaural and Riot Act.

I've been waiting since 1998 for a decent follow up record to No Code and Yield.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:18 pm 
Coast to Coast

B wrote:
OmegaprimeVKM wrote:
I've been waiting since 2003 for a decent follow up record to Yield, Binaural and Riot Act.

I've been waiting since 1998 for a decent follow up record to No Code and Yield.

I've been waiting for a guide to come and take me by the hand.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:28 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

theplatypus wrote:
B wrote:
OmegaprimeVKM wrote:

I've been waiting for a guide to come and take me by the hand.

Robert Christgau?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:48 pm 
Global Moderator

cutuphalfdead wrote:
I actually liked ST a lot when it first came out. I was twenty years old and stupid. But even then I remember going "how come this doesn't SOUND as good as other Pearl Jam albums?". But yeah, I remember reading here all the love Marker was getting and even then I didn't quite get the love for that song. I loved Parachutes from the very start though and the only songs I'd listen to from that album now are Parachutes and Wasted Reprise.

the first 3 are still top 20 songs for me.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:50 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

stip wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

the first 3 are still top 20 songs for me.

Of course they are...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:20 pm 
Stone's Bitch

I hope Stone Gossard does the majority of the writing.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:21 pm 
Supersonic

B wrote:

STONE: The band has been talking. We were actually talking about trying to get in before Bridge School but I think this Band Of Horses [tour] with Brad is going to make that harder to do. But the band is definitely going to get together probably without Ed and start to hammer out some more demos and get some stuff to the point where he can hear. So no plans, but no rush. But I'll be ready to go whenever everybody calls me.

Dear Pearl Jam,
Please do not let your side projects potentially delay recording another Pearl Jam album. We'd really like a record in 2011 and your side projects (minus Ed's) kinda blow.
Thanks,
Your Coach

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:25 pm 
AnalLog

Coach wrote:
B wrote:

Dear Pearl Jam,
Please do not let your side projects potentially delay recording another Pearl Jam album. We'd really like a record in 2011 and your side projects (minus Ed's) kinda blow.
Thanks,
Your Coach

:thumbsdown:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:39 pm 
Unthought Known

is it normal for them to record stuff without Ed? how long has this been going on? just seems odd to me.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:41 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

I want them to record an album entirely in analog.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:43 pm 
AnalLog

bmacsmith wrote:
is it normal for them to record stuff without Ed? how long has this been going on? just seems odd to me.

they did it for backspacer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:08 pm 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

cutuphalfdead wrote:
I want them to record an album entirely in analog.

:thumbsup:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 363  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam