Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 363  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam's Tenth Album
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Supersonic
 Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:07 pm
Posts: 12393
If it wasn't for Drunk Sincerity, everything after Spirit Shine would be maybe my second favorite run of songs on any BR album.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam's Tenth Album
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:00 am 
Offline
User avatar
too drunk to moderate properly
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:19 pm
Posts: 39068
Location: Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Gender: Male
BILLBOARD: Does Pearl Jam have any plans to record?

STONE: The band has been talking. We were actually talking about trying to get in before Bridge School but I think this Band Of Horses [tour] with Brad is going to make that harder to do. But the band is definitely going to get together probably without Ed and start to hammer out some more demos and get some stuff to the point where he can hear. So no plans, but no rush. But I'll be ready to go whenever everybody calls me.

http://www.billboard.com/news/for-pearl ... ory?page=2

_________________
"Though some may think there should be a separation between art/music and politics, it should be reinforced that art can be a form of nonviolent protest." - e.v.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam's Tenth Album
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:37 am 
Offline
User avatar
Got Some
 Profile

Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:03 pm
Posts: 1610
Location: Hounslow, London UK
I've been waiting since 2003 for a decent follow up record to Yield, Binaural and Riot Act (the black albums) so this needs to be it. It would be nice to get it in 2011 but if they're thinking of doing a SA tour then I reckon it won't get released until 2012.

The band need to get back to pushing the boat out, musically and lyrically. Frankly, stuff like Johnny Guitar, Comatose, Supersonic, Speed of Sound, Big Wave, Come Back, Force of Nature, Marker in the Sand and Parachuters is not vintage Pearl Jam. The band needs more All or None, Insignificance, Of the Girl, Faithful, Ghost, In Hiding, Get Right, Light Years, I Am Mine. Those tracks stand out, when you hear them you can't think immediately of another track that is similar.

_________________
VHCBL : the 'VKM Hates Come Back League'

T-shirts on the way


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam's Tenth Album
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Global Moderator
 Profile

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:02 am
Posts: 44183
Location: New York
Gender: Male
OmegaprimeVKM wrote:
I've been waiting since 2003 for a decent follow up record to Yield, Binaural and Riot Act (the black albums) so this needs to be it. It would be nice to get it in 2011 but if they're thinking of doing a SA tour then I reckon it won't get released until 2012.

The band need to get back to pushing the boat out, musically and lyrically. Frankly, stuff like Johnny Guitar, Comatose, Supersonic, Speed of Sound, Big Wave, Come Back, Force of Nature, Marker in the Sand and Parachuters is not vintage Pearl Jam. The band needs more All or None, Insignificance, Of the Girl, Faithful, Ghost, In Hiding, Get Right, Light Years, I Am Mine. Those tracks stand out, when you hear them you can't think immediately of another track that is similar.



what pearl jam songs were immediately similar to come back, marker, parachutes, speed of sound, or johnny guitar? How are In Hiding, Faithful, All or None, Ghost, or Get Right truly original songs--they all have similar moments in PJ's catalog. And Ghost and Get Right as vintage Pearl Jam. I like both of those songs but this is like Spenno praying for an album full of evacuations.

If you don't like the last two records so be it but this is basically a personal preference argument. I was waiting 15 years for what I thought was a worthwhile successor to vitalogy so I can sympathize (I thought S/T was it but the second half of that record didn't age well) but I would not have argued that the intervening records were stale or not trying new things musically. Every record PJ has ever done has its own musical identity, its own thematic coherence. Each one has something it is trying to prove. Some are more successful than others, and we're drawn to the ones that speak to us, but not enjoying a product is not the same thing as that product being lazy. Pearl Jam has never made a lazy record.

_________________
"Better the occasional faults of a Government that lives in a spirit of charity than the consistent omissions of a Government frozen in the ice of its own indifference."--FDR

The perfect gift for certain occasions


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam's Tenth Album
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Red Mosquito, my libido
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:02 am
Posts: 91597
Location: Sector 7-G
The only song on S/T I still listen to is Parachutes. Love that song so much.

_________________
It takes a big man to make a threat on the internet.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam's Tenth Album
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Global Moderator
 Profile

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:02 am
Posts: 44183
Location: New York
Gender: Male
that's the song that grew on me the most. The first 3 are still my 3 favorites, but parachutes is 4th, and it would have been much lower when the record came out.

_________________
"Better the occasional faults of a Government that lives in a spirit of charity than the consistent omissions of a Government frozen in the ice of its own indifference."--FDR

The perfect gift for certain occasions


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam's Tenth Album
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Former PJ Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:00 pm
Posts: 19826
Location: Alone in a corridor
I don't even listen to Marker anymore. Let alone the rest of that album.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam's Tenth Album
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Red Mosquito, my libido
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:02 am
Posts: 91597
Location: Sector 7-G
I actually liked ST a lot when it first came out. I was twenty years old and stupid. But even then I remember going "how come this doesn't SOUND as good as other Pearl Jam albums?". But yeah, I remember reading here all the love Marker was getting and even then I didn't quite get the love for that song. I loved Parachutes from the very start though and the only songs I'd listen to from that album now are Parachutes and Wasted Reprise.

_________________
It takes a big man to make a threat on the internet.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam's Tenth Album
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar
too drunk to moderate properly
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:19 pm
Posts: 39068
Location: Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Gender: Male
OmegaprimeVKM wrote:
I've been waiting since 2003 for a decent follow up record to Yield, Binaural and Riot Act.


I've been waiting since 1998 for a decent follow up record to No Code and Yield.

_________________
"Though some may think there should be a separation between art/music and politics, it should be reinforced that art can be a form of nonviolent protest." - e.v.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam's Tenth Album
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Coast to Coast
 Profile

Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:21 am
Posts: 23078
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Gender: Male
B wrote:
OmegaprimeVKM wrote:
I've been waiting since 2003 for a decent follow up record to Yield, Binaural and Riot Act.


I've been waiting since 1998 for a decent follow up record to No Code and Yield.


I've been waiting for a guide to come and take me by the hand.

_________________
For more insulated and ill-informed opinions, click here.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam's Tenth Album
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Red Mosquito, my libido
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:02 am
Posts: 91597
Location: Sector 7-G
theplatypus wrote:
B wrote:
OmegaprimeVKM wrote:
I've been waiting since 2003 for a decent follow up record to Yield, Binaural and Riot Act.


I've been waiting since 1998 for a decent follow up record to No Code and Yield.


I've been waiting for a guide to come and take me by the hand.

Robert Christgau?

_________________
It takes a big man to make a threat on the internet.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam's Tenth Album
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Global Moderator
 Profile

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:02 am
Posts: 44183
Location: New York
Gender: Male
cutuphalfdead wrote:
I actually liked ST a lot when it first came out. I was twenty years old and stupid. But even then I remember going "how come this doesn't SOUND as good as other Pearl Jam albums?". But yeah, I remember reading here all the love Marker was getting and even then I didn't quite get the love for that song. I loved Parachutes from the very start though and the only songs I'd listen to from that album now are Parachutes and Wasted Reprise.



the first 3 are still top 20 songs for me.

_________________
"Better the occasional faults of a Government that lives in a spirit of charity than the consistent omissions of a Government frozen in the ice of its own indifference."--FDR

The perfect gift for certain occasions


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam's Tenth Album
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Red Mosquito, my libido
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:02 am
Posts: 91597
Location: Sector 7-G
stip wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
I actually liked ST a lot when it first came out. I was twenty years old and stupid. But even then I remember going "how come this doesn't SOUND as good as other Pearl Jam albums?". But yeah, I remember reading here all the love Marker was getting and even then I didn't quite get the love for that song. I loved Parachutes from the very start though and the only songs I'd listen to from that album now are Parachutes and Wasted Reprise.



the first 3 are still top 20 songs for me.

Of course they are...

_________________
It takes a big man to make a threat on the internet.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam's Tenth Album
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Stone's Bitch
 Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:35 am
Posts: 5981
Location: Bel-Air
Gender: Male
I hope Stone Gossard does the majority of the writing.

_________________
On the playground is where I spend most of my days.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam's Tenth Album
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Supersonic
 Profile

Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:04 am
Posts: 12383
Gender: Male
B wrote:
BILLBOARD: Does Pearl Jam have any plans to record?

STONE: The band has been talking. We were actually talking about trying to get in before Bridge School but I think this Band Of Horses [tour] with Brad is going to make that harder to do. But the band is definitely going to get together probably without Ed and start to hammer out some more demos and get some stuff to the point where he can hear. So no plans, but no rush. But I'll be ready to go whenever everybody calls me.

http://www.billboard.com/news/for-pearl ... ory?page=2


Dear Pearl Jam,
Please do not let your side projects potentially delay recording another Pearl Jam album. We'd really like a record in 2011 and your side projects (minus Ed's) kinda blow.
Thanks,
Your Coach

_________________
RIP Mr. Dirty Frank


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam's Tenth Album
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:36 pm
Posts: 25824
Location: south jersey
Coach wrote:
B wrote:
BILLBOARD: Does Pearl Jam have any plans to record?

STONE: The band has been talking. We were actually talking about trying to get in before Bridge School but I think this Band Of Horses [tour] with Brad is going to make that harder to do. But the band is definitely going to get together probably without Ed and start to hammer out some more demos and get some stuff to the point where he can hear. So no plans, but no rush. But I'll be ready to go whenever everybody calls me.

http://www.billboard.com/news/for-pearl ... ory?page=2


Dear Pearl Jam,
Please do not let your side projects potentially delay recording another Pearl Jam album. We'd really like a record in 2011 and your side projects (minus Ed's) kinda blow.
Thanks,
Your Coach

:thumbsdown:

_________________
Feel the path of every day,... Which road you taking?,...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam's Tenth Album
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Unthought Known
 Profile

Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:52 pm
Posts: 8288
is it normal for them to record stuff without Ed? how long has this been going on? just seems odd to me.

_________________
Sweep the leg!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam's Tenth Album
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Red Mosquito, my libido
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:02 am
Posts: 91597
Location: Sector 7-G
I want them to record an album entirely in analog.

_________________
It takes a big man to make a threat on the internet.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam's Tenth Album
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:36 pm
Posts: 25824
Location: south jersey
bmacsmith wrote:
is it normal for them to record stuff without Ed? how long has this been going on? just seems odd to me.

they did it for backspacer

_________________
Feel the path of every day,... Which road you taking?,...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam's Tenth Album
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:33 am
Posts: 8422
Location: Berthier-sur-Mer
Gender: Male
cutuphalfdead wrote:
I want them to record an album entirely in analog.

:thumbsup:

_________________
http://jorgefarah.com/2012/03/27/chiendent-the-demented-the-rousing-and-the-sublime/


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 363  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
It is currently Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:43 am