Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 349, 350, 351, 352, 353, 354, 355 ... 363  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam's Tenth Album (2013)
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:06 pm 
Global Moderator

bodysnatcher wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
Why dont they continue working on those songs live? they only jam in you are...why dont grab Ghost and make a new live jam?? why dont they grab cropduster and make it fucking heavy? ...they used to do this things all the time and they just stopped. It might have to do with the little studio work they have been doing since avocado, but still, the live shows are a great moment for that....grab Rival and make it happen, grab of the girl, grab Marker and make a full new jam with it.

This is exactly why they are in a complete state of limbo for me right now. They're neither a studio band, nor a live band at this point. For me, a solid live band explores new territory on stage....whether impromptu or planned. Just mindlessly create and see what happens. Everything has become too predictable now. Verse > chorus > verse > Mike plays solo behind head > chorus > end/Ed jumps on Matt's last cymbal. Snooze Junction USA, you guys.

And when weren't they this band?

Guys, Pearl Jam has always been the same live band. The anger muted over time, but long before people starting getting frustrated. The variety increased, but it had always been there. Setlists these days are not really any less surprising than they used to be. They're about as mixed up as is possible.

Are we sure that the problem is just that stuff seems familiar or redundant because they haven't added any new songs since 2009? that the new stuff you want PJ to do isn't just new music.

The perfect gift for certain occasions

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:09 pm 
Global Moderator

warehouse wrote:
the problem w/ that experiment was none of us like that approach to song writing

Oh sure. And that's legit. And I may just have to learn to live with the pain of being the only person on RM who liked both of those albums a lot. But I still can't help but really strongly feel that so much of everyone's concerns about the live shows, the band, etc (bracketing ed's voice) is either:

1. I didn't like the last 1-2-3 albums
2. I want new music

and that all these threads is finding ways to reach that conclusion without having to just come out and say it.

The perfect gift for certain occasions

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:14 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

To be fair, I'm not sure people are saying their live approach is lacking in regards to the set diversity they play. I think there definitely is a difference in how they approach their shows now as opposed to how they did in, say, 2000 (although that was a different approach than 1994, etc. etc.). I think it feels a bit more nostalgic now and less vital. Is that due in part to a dearth of new material? Sure, but I don't think it's necessarily an either/or question; it can be due to a lack of new music and the quality of their most recent music as well as other things they've adopted in their live show.

Last edited by digster on Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:14 pm 
AnalLog

stip wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
Why dont they continue working on those songs live? they only jam in you are...why dont grab Ghost and make a new live jam?? why dont they grab cropduster and make it fucking heavy? ...they used to do this things all the time and they just stopped. It might have to do with the little studio work they have been doing since avocado, but still, the live shows are a great moment for that....grab Rival and make it happen, grab of the girl, grab Marker and make a full new jam with it.

This is exactly why they are in a complete state of limbo for me right now. They're neither a studio band, nor a live band at this point. For me, a solid live band explores new territory on stage....whether impromptu or planned. Just mindlessly create and see what happens. Everything has become too predictable now. Verse > chorus > verse > Mike plays solo behind head > chorus > end/Ed jumps on Matt's last cymbal. Snooze Junction USA, you guys.

And they were this band when?

Guys, Pearl Jam has always been the same live band. The anger muted over time, but long before people starting getting frustrated. The variety increased, but it had always been there. Setlists these days are not really any less surprising than they used to be. They're about as mixed up as is possible.

Are we sure that the problem is just that stuff seems familiar or redundant because they haven't added any new songs since 2009? that the new stuff you want PJ to do isn't just new music.

they certainly used to improve a ton more back in the early 1990s. they pretty much never do anymore, I’m not sure when that stopped though. 2003 maybe?

I completely disagree about the setlists being the same. since about 2005 eddie vedder has consciously make sure to include at least 1 “rare” song in each set to appease the idiots w/ lists of songs they heard at concerts. and at this point, the covers pretty much suck. there’s no way anything like “dock of the bay” would happen today w/ this band. shame.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:16 pm 
Force of Nature

stip wrote:

I think the general mood set by the band at just about every show is identical these days. I went to 3 shows in 03 and they were all quite a bit different. The St Louis show was very atmospheric and one of the most interesting setlists I've ever seen from them and a couple months later the Chicago show, was great as they always were but it had fewer surprises than I think most people expected, then a couple nights later in Indy they played easily the most intense show I've ever seen them play. I'm not saying there are no surprises on the setlists anymore but the flow of most of the shows just doesn't change from night to night like it used to. By perfecting it it became almost formulaic.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:28 pm 
The Snowboy

stip wrote:
Harmless wrote:
Oh, Jimmy wrote:
I think them road testing tunes would be a bad idea if writing and recording road ready tunes is already high on the agenda. I'd rather them go into the studio with the mindset that they're never gonna play these songs live, then make it happen. If they're road testing they're settling on live friendly arrangements and there's a 99% chance that's what's going on the record.

I'm thinking something like No Way, it's not the biggest crowd pleaser or anything but it's turned into a solid sounding tune live even without the atmosphere of studio version.

OK I'm changing my mind then. This.

But it all hangs on whether they care if their albums have an impact anymore.

I don't know how fair this is. Is there any reason to think they don't care about the studio albums (well, beyond not bothering to record them)?

Yes. It's just my opinion, stip. But there is also a fuckton of interviews suggesting exactly that.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:32 pm 
Master of Meh

Oh, Jimmy wrote:
stip wrote:

I think the general mood set by the band at just about every show is identical these days. I went to 3 shows in 03 and they were all quite a bit different. The St Louis show was very atmospheric and one of the most interesting setlists I've ever seen from them and a couple months later the Chicago show, was great as they always were but it had fewer surprises than I think most people expected, then a couple nights later in Indy they played easily the most intense show I've ever seen them play. I'm not saying there are no surprises on the setlists anymore but the flow of most of the shows just doesn't change from night to night like it used to. By perfecting it it became almost formulaic.

Indeed, it's not greater variety in the number of songs played that people seem to be clamouring for - I think they've taken that as far as it can go - it's more variety in mood and tone through setlist choices. At the moment, Alive either ends the first encore or is the third-to-last song (before celebratory cover > Yellow Ledbetter), Just Breathe opens the first encore, Porch or RVM close the main set, etc. The rules never used to be so set in stone.

Last edited by spenno on Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:32 pm 
The Snowboy

stip wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

And when weren't they this band?

Stip, no, we're not just bored since Backspacer. Nobody is forgetting the Backspacer songs. "Pearl Jam has always been the same live band" simply isn't true.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:34 pm 
The Snowboy

"Pearl Jam have always concentrated on playing live" is a non-statement. No shit. Every good rock band should / does concentrate on playing live. They just don't usually sacrifice great albums to do so, or rather, I'm not generally a fan of the bands that do. PJ used to be a band that crafted great songs and albums before having the confidence to then think "Hey, these might really fly live."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:37 pm 
The Snowboy

That sounded a little more aggressive than I meant it to. But you get my point, hopefully. By all means concentrate on both, but one shouldn't simply be a vehicle for the other.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:43 pm 
Coast to Coast

Oh, Jimmy wrote:
Even the songs that are so bad or average that people make jokes about them(Helphelp, Cropduster)

Absurd. These are great songs.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:44 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

Harmless wrote:
"Pearl Jam have always concentrated on playing live" is a non-statement. No shit. Every good rock band should / does concentrate on playing live. They just don't usually sacrifice great albums to do so, or rather, I'm not generally a fan of the bands that do. PJ used to be a band that crafted great songs and albums before having the confidence to then think "Hey, these might really fly live."

Especially because, as you mentioned, PJ has never really been a band that crafts songs that are just impossibilities in the live setting. I can't imagine they've ever sat down before touring with any record and felt like they were incapable of pulling it off live.

Now, maybe when they say they need to have songs that translate live, they're talking about a mood that is set by the songs rather than the construction of the songs themselves. But sometimes the moods of the records can impact the tours in really cool ways. The darkness and struggle on the Binaural record was perfect for the feeling of that album's U.S. tour. In contrast, it seemed to me that in 2003 they were touring in a much different space than they were when they made Riot Act (it always seemed to me like they were wishing they had a louder, punk record for that tour), but the excitement came in seeing how they bent the songs on Riot Act to fit that vibe.

Maybe that's what I'm missing from the live shows, a feel that can change from tour to tour and show to show (someone I think brought that up a few posts ago).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:46 pm 
Got Some

digster wrote:
Harmless wrote:

Especially because, as you mentioned, PJ has never really been a band that crafts songs that are just impossibilities in the live setting. I can't imagine they've ever sat down before touring with any record and felt like they were incapable of pulling it off live.

Now, maybe when they say they need to have songs that translate live, they're talking about a mood that is set by the songs rather than the construction of the songs themselves. But sometimes the moods of the records can impact the tours in really cool ways. The darkness and struggle on the Binaural record was perfect for the feeling of that album's U.S. tour. In contrast, it seemed to me that in 2003 they were touring in a much different space than they were when they made Riot Act (it always seemed to me like they were wishing they had a louder, punk record for that tour), but the excitement came in seeing how they bent the songs on Riot Act to fit that vibe.

Maybe that's what I'm missing from the live shows, a feel that can change from tour to tour and show to show (someone I think brought that up a few posts ago).

Well said.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:50 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

I do think stip has a point in that the new music they make (or the lack of it) is undoubtedly going to have an impact of the vibe and atmosphere coloring the shows. So in that sense, people's disinterest in PJ live is due in part to what they've been doing in the studio.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:51 pm 
Master of Meh

They seemed to figure out what they seem to think is the ideal approach to live shows around 2005 or so and have stuck with it every since: slow intro Porch, first encore starts off with some softer numbers, Alive is played in one of two positions, Yellow Ledbetter to end almost every night, etc. Apart from adding new songs from the previous two albums, the basic framework has stayed the same. Not to say those things didn't all happen before 2005 too, but not with anywhere near as much regularity.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:52 pm 
The Snowboy

ejny wrote:
digster wrote:
Harmless wrote:

Well said.

Yeah. Usually reaching for a 'mood' is a terrible way of writing songs (or poems). It creates blah mediocrity, not-quite-anthems for instance (!). But it can be a great thing when thinking about albums (or books). What moods do I want to create across the whole?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:54 pm 
The Snowboy

digster wrote:
I do think stip has a point in that the new music they make (or the lack of it) is undoubtedly going to have an impact of the vibe and atmosphere coloring the shows. So in that sense, people's disinterest in PJ live is due in part to what they've been doing in the studio.

I agree with that. Having great albums can impact the live stage, but can the opposite be true? Not (imo) as long as it's SONGS you play for a living, and not -- I don't know -- spoken word performances.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:55 pm 
Master of Meh

digster wrote:

Oh, for sure - though I think they're related in some respects, since I think the lack of strong new material winds up making the band rely more on past glories in the live shows. Even if they won't come out and admit it, I think the band know.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:00 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

Spenno's definitely right IMO that there has been a consistent vibe since 2005. Not necessarily for the worse, but the shows during that year and after that year feel very similar in ways the years before haven't.

Maybe it just took long-term stability in the lineup with Matt for them to get there.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:08 pm 
Got Some

Eddie cut his hair sometime around 2003 because he wanted cut his hair. He grew it back because the fans wanted him to grow it back.

It has all been downhill since.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 349, 350, 351, 352, 353, 354, 355 ... 363  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam