Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 353, 354, 355, 356, 357, 358, 359 ... 363  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam's Tenth Album (2013)
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:04 pm 
Master of Meh

Oh, Jimmy wrote:
Not to get off topic, but why does anybody have a problem with them downtuning? I've never thought it made that big of a difference and I even thought Comatose sounded alot better down a half step. I guess it seems kinda silly to record an album then a few months later transpose those tunes down a notch or two, but not because they sound like crap or anything.

The Zeppelin reunion show was all tuned down a half or full step and it made Robert Plant sound closer to his 70s heyday more than any of the other Page/Plant stuff and it's much better than him struggling to sing the songs in the original tunings.

digster wrote:
I don't necessarily have a problem with them downtuning (although I agree it's kind of strange to have to tune down a few months after you wrote the song in the first place). However, I think if it sounds worse it's the wrong approach. For whatever reason, a lot of the times they tune down sound kind of off to me; it's not a huge deal, but it's there. Why that is I can't explain; I'd probably need to be much more technically astute in music than I actually am.

I'm not terribly well-versed in musical theory either, but I'll have a ham-fisted attempt at explaining anyway: you're pretty much exactly right in thinking it sounds "off". Changing the key of a song alters its timbre, it's "tonal quality" in other words. Particular pitches resonate in certain ways, part of what makes the song sound the way it does originally is the choice of key in which it's played. The subtle overtones created by the original chords are changed when playing it in a different key - obviously, new ones are in their place, but it still makes a difference in that the song now sounds "off" where once it just sounded "right".

Take Got Some, for example. Obviously the band recorded it in the original key because that's what they felt worked musically for whatever they were trying to achieve - not necessarily as a considered choice, I might add, I expect they probably just naturally gravitated towards one key as opposed to others. The Conan version, despite Ed having a little trouble keeping up vocally, is the only version that comes close to having the kind of energy and tension that the song really needs to work live - compare it to any of the subsequent live versions and they sound leaden and flabby.

You can't get an identical musical effect by playing the exact same relative notes in a lower key, it just doesn't work that way. To me, though I don't expect everyone feels this way, a song would sound more "right" if Ed totally changed the vocal melody but the underlying key of the song remained the same. Same deal with the Led Zeppelin reunion: sure, Plant might be able to hit the higher notes, but the vocal is only one element in the entire sound. I'd rather the band maintain the original key and Plant just worked around his limitations. To people who are mainly listening to the vocal, perhaps they'd feel differently - but I don't think there's any reason the human voice is exempt from the above either. It too would have a different timbre if singing the same line but transposed down to a different key.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:08 pm 
The Snowboy

spenno wrote:
Oh, Jimmy wrote:
Not to get off topic, but why does anybody have a problem with them downtuning? I've never thought it made that big of a difference and I even thought Comatose sounded alot better down a half step. I guess it seems kinda silly to record an album then a few months later transpose those tunes down a notch or two, but not because they sound like crap or anything.

The Zeppelin reunion show was all tuned down a half or full step and it made Robert Plant sound closer to his 70s heyday more than any of the other Page/Plant stuff and it's much better than him struggling to sing the songs in the original tunings.

digster wrote:
I don't necessarily have a problem with them downtuning (although I agree it's kind of strange to have to tune down a few months after you wrote the song in the first place). However, I think if it sounds worse it's the wrong approach. For whatever reason, a lot of the times they tune down sound kind of off to me; it's not a huge deal, but it's there. Why that is I can't explain; I'd probably need to be much more technically astute in music than I actually am.

I'm not terribly well-versed in musical theory either, but I'll have a ham-fisted attempt at explaining anyway: you're pretty much exactly right in thinking it sounds "off". Changing the key of a song alters its timbre, it's "tonal quality" in other words. Particular pitches resonate in certain ways, part of what makes the song sound the way it does originally is the choice of key in which it's played. The subtle overtones created by the original chords are changed when playing it in a different key - obviously, new ones are in their place, but it still makes a difference in that the song now sounds "off" where once it just sounded "right".

Take Got Some, for example. Obviously the band recorded it in the original key because that's what they felt worked musically for whatever they were trying to achieve - not necessarily as a considered choice, I might add, I expect they probably just naturally gravitated towards one key as opposed to others. The Conan version, despite Ed having a little trouble keeping up vocally, is the only version that comes close to having the kind of energy and tension that the song really needs to work live - compare it to any of the subsequent live versions and they sound leaden and flabby.

You can't get an identical musical effect by playing the exact same relative notes in a lower key, it just doesn't work that way. To me, though I don't expect everyone feels this way, a song would sound more "right" if Ed totally changed the vocal melody but the underlying key of the song remained the same. Same deal with the Led Zeppelin reunion: sure, Plant might be able to hit the higher notes, but the vocal is only one element in the entire sound. I'd rather the band maintain the original key and Plant just worked around his limitations. To people who are mainly listening to the vocal, perhaps they'd feel differently - but I don't think there's any reason the human voice is exempt from the above either. It too would have a different timbre if singing the same line but transposed down to a different key.

Yep. As I've said for as long as I can remember, Adam Duritz of Counting Crows does this all the time.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:12 pm 
Global Moderator

Harmless wrote:
stip wrote:
digster wrote:
stip wrote:

Maybe this reflects where I am in my own life, and how easy I'm finding it is to get plans derailed and everything but I can imagine fairly easily

A: Taking some time off after Backspacer and not starting to record
B: Getting ready to record
C: Matt deciding to make a record with Soundgarden
D: Matt deciding to tour with soundgarden
E: Eddie doing whatever he did to hurt himself
F: Eddie having to reschedule a tour because he hurt himself
G: Everyone wanting to start their own projects in the downtime (but not at the same time)
H: No one wanting to tell someone else to put their own projects on hold, which, even if PJ is the most important thing to all of them (does anyone believe otherwise?) could be taken as disrespectful
I: Having to make sure that when the opportunity aligns the producer is available
J: Family complicates all this

This really isn't anything that's been said before, but it feels completely natural that one's opinions on their recent music will have an impact on how we're viewing the present goings-on with the band. If someone really liked Backspacer, I think it's easier to view the past few years with more optimism, and those who think they lost the plot a bit with their recent work may see the lack of activity as a lack of interest. The latter group of people have their most recent work as evidence of that.

most definitely. that's why for me all this speculation often feels like a different way to have the 'did you like backspacer' conversation.

Not really, as I liked Backspacer. Do I think it was everything that it could have been? Not in the slightest. But in amongst all the other things I'm unhappy about, it's a factor. Where Backspacer is weaker, it's because various parts sound half-baked for the purpose of finishing sooner. I say that as someone who wishes it was stronger because it has plenty of good ideas dotted around.

Often, not always. And even here as you just said it is a factor.

The perfect gift for certain occasions

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:14 pm 
Global Moderator

digster wrote:
stip wrote:

most definitely. that's why for me all this speculation often feels like a different way to have the 'did you like backspacer' conversation.

I don’t know…I mean, that could just as easily be turned around into someone liking Backspacer is turning a blind eye to some substantive issues with the PJ camp these days. I think it’s less that it’s just another rehash of the same issue and more that people’s opinions on the recent music, whether positive or negative, will inevitably color how they view the band now in some way. But that doesn’t necessarily mean there’s nothing to talk about, or no fair critiques to make, beyond that, that could be explained away as merely not enjoying (or enjoying, for that matter) the band's newest work.

sure

The perfect gift for certain occasions

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:31 pm 
Force of Nature

To me, the only artist I have ever seen that takes alot of liberties with vocal melodies is Bob Dylan and I don't think I've seen a show where the whole music sounded off.

If it's music that I'm pretty familiar with I can tell pretty well right away if something is tuned down in a live situation and very few times if at all have I thought now that just sounds horrible.

Downtuning tends to make things heavier, which can be good or bad, and it will muddy stuff up pretty fast but there are eq adjustments that can be made to mend that.

If we're talkin a step down or less I think I'd rather everybody play/sing their parts relative to the original parts.

To wear out the Zeppelin comparison, it sounded like Plant was hitting much higher notes than he could hit 15 years ago b/c the music being played was lower. Instead of deciding on show day that they might need to tune down, they actually rehearsed and made the proper gear adjustments.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:59 pm 
Got Some

Interesting to compare PJ's discography timeline to other bands'

PJ... first 9 albums =18 years
The Who... first 9 albums = 16 years
Neil Young (solo)... first 9 albums = 8.5 years (!)
Radiohead... first 8 albums = 18 years

Guys, PJ is more prolific than Radiohead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:06 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

bodysnatcher wrote:

Not surprised...PJ has a lot more songs than RH as well, b sides and christmas singles..

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:12 pm 
The Snowboy

bodysnatcher wrote:

This is probably why I never fully latched onto Radiohead.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:14 pm 
Got Some

Harmless wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:

Quality over quantity

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:15 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

bodysnatcher wrote:
Harmless wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:

Quality over quantity

yessir

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:24 pm 
Coast to Coast

VinylGuy wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:

Not surprised...PJ has a lot more songs than RH as well, b sides and christmas singles..

Not quite!

Apparently Radiohead have about 161 original songs (released or played live), while Pearl Jam have about 155. Not counting covers by either band. If we count all the covers PJ have played, they easily surpass Radiohead. But on original songs only, Radiohead is slightly ahead.

This seems weird at first, until you realize that Radiohead have released 6 EPs, while Pearl Jam have only released 1.

Sources:
http://pearljam.com/music?order=asc&fil ... er_by=song
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_so ... _Radiohead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:29 pm 
The Snowboy

bodysnatcher wrote:
Harmless wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:

Quality over quantity

Maybe so, which is why I would call Radiohead's songs absolutely incredible, on the whole, whilst still not really being a fan. To be a long-term fan you have to maintain long-term interest, and for me, part of that is knowing that there's something in the pipeline. I was thinking back to whether I'd lost interest before, and I remembered that yes, I have. Right after Binaural came out, I decided on two listens that I hated it, and wasn't very interested in PJ until years later, when the countdown to S/T happened. Edit: in the meantime, I had listened to Riot Act and quite liked it, but only then did I listen back to both of them.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:34 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

theplatypus wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:

Not quite!

Apparently Radiohead have about 161 original songs (released or played live), while Pearl Jam have about 155. Not counting covers by either band. If we count all the covers PJ have played, they easily surpass Radiohead. But on original songs only, Radiohead is slightly ahead.

This seems weird at first, until you realize that Radiohead have released 6 EPs, while Pearl Jam have only released 1.

Sources:
http://pearljam.com/music?order=asc&fil ... er_by=song
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_so ... _Radiohead

guess RH has more songs? really? surprises me how little i care for most of them, actually.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:46 pm 
AnalLog

your missing out bigtime

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:58 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

warehouse wrote:
your missing out bigtime

most of them are from which era? amnesiac?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:08 pm 
Supersonic

I think Radiohead might be my favorite b-side band of all time. I love their leftovers. A lot of their cutting room floor is better than a lot of album tracks.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:12 pm 
AnalLog

VinylGuy wrote:
warehouse wrote:
your missing out bigtime

i might be wrong, but i think they have a decent amount of bsides from all eras.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:23 am 
Supersonic

warehouse wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
warehouse wrote:
your missing out bigtime

i might be wrong, but i think they have a decent amount of bsides from all eras.

You are not wrong.

The Bends was an especially prolific era.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:30 am 
Former PJ Drummer

warehouse wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
warehouse wrote:
your missing out bigtime

:idea:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:52 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Oh, Jimmy wrote:
To me, the only artist I have ever seen that takes alot of liberties with vocal melodies is Bob Dylan and I don't think I've seen a show where the whole music sounded off.

It's worth nothing that many of Dylan's songs--especially the early ones, which are the ones that have been rearranged and sometimes entirely rewritten multiple times--consist primarily of open chords which lend themselves far better to the kind of flexibility you see across Dylan's career. Much of Pearl Jam's songwriting is a kind of equal partnership between "words and music" and "arrangement," in which the arrangement is actually a vital part of the songwriting itself, significantly affecting how the song sounds when altered in any way.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 353, 354, 355, 356, 357, 358, 359 ... 363  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam