Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 518 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: Let's actually listen to the albums: Backspacer edition
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:56 pm 
Johnny Guitar

A few weeks back my girlfriend got me a turntable for my birthday, and my PJ vinyl collection at this early stage consists of Vitalogy, Backspacer, and the Ten re-issue. Backspacer's the weakest of those albums for sure, but it's also the one I've enjoyed listening to the most so far.

Being unable to simply hit a button and skip a song, I find that Supersonic is the only one where I even wish I had the option. The Fixer of course flirts with that territory, but the bridge is pretty damn great. I guess that's what gets me through.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:05 pm 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

i agree that most PJ songs are at their best in their studio incarnations, especially since they have to downtune several ones live.
despite that statement, many songs from the Binaural/RA sessions could have used a little more commitment from Ed. not all of them of course - idk, it sounds as if he didn't know what to do with his voice then and the restrained mode he went for was very hit or miss. he managed to come to grasp with the problematic songs on tour though but even then, i can't say i enjoy the boots more than the studio versions. there's something about the art of crafting something for posterity and even if it's invitably flawed, it's still the way the artists wanted us to hear it in the first place.
all i'm trying to say is that Mike adding a killer solo at the end of Corduroy live is fucking great. Eddie singing Save You live with more passion than on the studio take is essential.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:53 am 
Johnny Guitar

Backspacer is so quick and un-selfconscious that it's just easier to look past its shortcomings and low points, whatever they may be to a particular listener. Hate Johnny Guitar? If so you're fucking weird -- but at least it's checking in under three minutes.

I'm not quite sure whether or not there are any truly great Pearl Jam songs on this record. But, if there are, chances are they're great in an unassuming way. Amongst the Waves Unthought Known are probably the only songs for which you might be able to get a conviction on charges of striving for greatness. And even on those where you might sense the band reaching for a moment they don't completely miss the mark. ATW ultimately underwhelms but has moments, and Unthought Known is very good. And beyond that, the brevity of the record even helps undermine the idea that that mid-record attempt at a "peak" wants to be taken too seriously.

I think I like what someone said about this album eventually being looked at as one of Pearl Jam's "minor works." Seems like a useful phrase in that it distinguishes Backspacer from the band's "lesser works" -- Riot Act and Self-Titled, if we're naming names.

Both of those, by virtue of being 15-20 minutes longer and containing several "message" songs each, ultimately collapse under their own weight. Riot Act is the more purpose-driven of the two, but S/T is nearly as heavy-handed, just less focused. Unthought Known succeeds where Inside Job and Love Boat Captain (and, I would submit, I Am Mine) fail. It was their most conscious attempt to infuse Backspacer with a "message," and it's pretty damn good. But then they get on with the show and then the show's over and you realize you've had a pretty pleasant 36 minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:01 am 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

I think that's part of my problem with Backspacer; yeah, there aren't many awful songs on it (although I'd say there are a few songs on it that'd say are not good). But most of it feels like they're treading water; they had a cool idea (incorporate poppier and new-wave elements into their sound) but they didn't bother following through on it. I'd rather listen to a record that tried to do something audacious and has significant shortcomings than something mediocre that doesn't bother to try.

To be fair, I haven't had a chance to listen all the way through to this yet; I remember S/T more fondly than I did in the past, so maybe that will happen to Backspacer.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:32 am 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

VAN wrote:
Listened to this straight through the other day. It's a really enjoyable album. It's a really fun and natural feeling album. I think this band has earned the right to just make a fun record without trying to make a some overwrought statement. In fact, you could argue they are making a statement by recording a song like the Fixer which I could never imagine them recording before this point. It's probably one my favorite sounding PJ records next to Yield and Riot Act. Not the best songs but the best sounding songs. It's probably my favorite sounding Eddie vocals right now too.

I agree with this completely. They've always been too busy taking themselves too seriously to just make a fun sounding record and I think Theyve earned that right at this point. A lot of the material on here focuses on serious stuff but it's counterbalanced with some great rock songs. Ive totally come around to Gonna see my friend and Johnny Guitar. Even Got Some has improved.

Gonna do my write up with my new headphones later, after work.
I listen to Backspacer all the time, so I dunno if ill have that space in which you find new things, like we have on the previous Listen to write ups but hopefully it wont matter.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:33 pm 
Global Moderator

Jaeti wrote:
Backspacer is so quick and un-selfconscious that it's just easier to look past its shortcomings and low points, whatever they may be to a particular listener. Hate Johnny Guitar? If so you're fucking weird -- but at least it's checking in under three minutes.

I'm not quite sure whether or not there are any truly great Pearl Jam songs on this record. But, if there are, chances are they're great in an unassuming way. Amongst the Waves Unthought Known are probably the only songs for which you might be able to get a conviction on charges of striving for greatness. And even on those where you might sense the band reaching for a moment they don't completely miss the mark. ATW ultimately underwhelms but has moments, and Unthought Known is very good. And beyond that, the brevity of the record even helps undermine the idea that that mid-record attempt at a "peak" wants to be taken too seriously.

I think I like what someone said about this album eventually being looked at as one of Pearl Jam's "minor works." Seems like a useful phrase in that it distinguishes Backspacer from the band's "lesser works" -- Riot Act and Self-Titled, if we're naming names.

Both of those, by virtue of being 15-20 minutes longer and containing several "message" songs each, ultimately collapse under their own weight. Riot Act is the more purpose-driven of the two, but S/T is nearly as heavy-handed, just less focused. Unthought Known succeeds where Inside Job and Love Boat Captain (and, I would submit, I Am Mine) fail. It was their most conscious attempt to infuse Backspacer with a "message," and it's pretty damn good. But then they get on with the show and then the show's over and you realize you've had a pretty pleasant 36 minutes.

I would disagree with you about where the high points on this record are, but I like your minor vs. mediocre distinction. I think Backspacer is trying to do more than most people around here, but it is Pearl jam's least encumbered album ever and that was a nice change of pace, and the length makes the brevity of the songs a strength rather than a weakness. Every pearl jam album since Yield has been an arduous listen in that it was demanding and the albums often felt longer than they were. Something nice and brief and unassuming (even in its weightier moments) was really something different, and the fact that so many of the songs are really good (even if few are great--I agree with that, although a number come very close) makes the length work in its favor, If this was 70 minutes of quick 3 minute songs it would start to feel repetitive.

I think that's one of the reasons why Backspacer gets so much heavy play from me. Other than the fact that I really really like 7/11 songs (and only dislike 1---no other pearl jam record since Vitalogy can match that percentage for me) it is nice to actually get a complete thought that comes so quickly, feels so free, and doesn't feel slight despite all that.

The perfect gift for certain occasions

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:01 pm 
Unthought Known

Just listened to this thing. I like the overall theme of getting older, not being around forever, but yet that basic mankind desire to have your light continue on, and I guess "keep it on, keepin' on".

GSMF - I really hate the "vactum of desire" delivery. Can you just say "victim of desire" Ed? Other than that, I really enjoyed this number. I even caught myself air drumming to it. I like how Mike plays along with Ed during the "I'm gonna see my friend" verse at the 47 second mark. The chorus is pretty good, and Matt's drumming is great. This is a perfect spring / summer song in the car at very high volume. The outtro, is nice, especially Jeff, and did I mention Matt? Very Good, but not great opener (Last Exit is probably my favorite).

Got Some - Did I mention Matt? Immediately after a great performance, he starts the next one off with a thunderous roll. I love it! I love Mike on this song too. This is how I like my McCready, not too over the top / cheesy. I love the quirky playing he's doing as soon as Ed starts to sing, and generally throughout the entire song. Little things like what you hear at the 27 second mark. I think it's Stone of the 34 second mark doing a harmonics strum on the guitar, it's a nice little touch. I've read some comments that Ed can't keep up with this one...I agree for the live version, but on this studio take I'm listening to, he's doing just fine. My only complaint is that this song kinda feels long...That's a weird thing to say because it's only 3 minutes, but this one may have done better for me at say 2:45 instead of 3:02.

The Fixer - I like the guitar and drum intro. The power chords, and that fuzzy/distorted sounding guitar is pretty cool. Not a fan of some of Mike's playing here...take what you hear at the 55 second mark for example, it's a little "Huey Lewis & The Newsish" to me. The piano you hear throughout the song is really nice, and overall there is some really nice texture to the music. I'm not a huge fan of the bridge, but immediately after, from the 1:30 mark to the 1:58 mark is the best part of the song for me. The outtro is OK, but I think a cold ending instead of a fade out would of worked better. Maybe shorten the song by about 10 seconds or so, and end hard on a "Yeah Yeah Yeah".

More later, gotta work...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:21 pm 
Unthought Known

Johnny Guitar - Interesting intro, and vocal delivery by Ed. I'm not sure if I've head him sing a song quite like this, not that I can think of anyway. Like the other songs so far, there are some nice textures musically, I like the tambourine in the background for example. The breakdown is cool, and I love Jeff's basslines during the "sleep with the light on" part. I'm not a big fan of the fade-out here...I didn't mind it as much on The Fixer, but this song cuts off too short like Rival. There sounds like there is a nice jam happening, it's just getting started, and it fades out. It don't mind it as much as Rival, but still...it would be nice for PJ to actually put an extended jam on an album, instead of just doing it with a few songs live. Oh, and Matt's drumming is again very good on this one.

Just Breathe - This is a nice one, and Ed sounds great. I really love Jeff's bass (he and Matt really do well on this album), but the song is somewhat lacking overall for me. Its as if the song is not quite sure what it's supposed to be...a reflective chill song, or an alt. country jangle (Jeff's bass is kinda like that, but the strings / chorus make it feel more serious). Also, I think the percussion could be a bit more. I'd love for Matt to pick up the brushes (think Dave Grohl on Nirvana Unplugged) and add a bit of a shuffle beat to match Jeff's bass.

Amongst The Waves - Again, I like the intro, and the verse is fine by me. I like the wah-wah sounding guitar leading up to the chorus, but it's the chorus that just doesn't do it for me. Is it just me, or does it sound really flat? Maybe Matt needs to use the cymbals similar to how Jack does on "Faithfull" to fill it out more?? The 2:25 mark is cool, and I like how the song opens up, and the double sounding guitar around the 2:47 mark. But...the chorus comes back, and yawn. I just don't like it. The song itself isn't as bad as I remember, and if not for a bad chorus, I'd probably like it a lot more than I do. I even like the Michael Jackson "hoo-hoo" at the end. Oddly enough, I think a fade-out would work on this one (odd b/c I generally do not like fade-outs).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:04 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

The outtro is OK, but I think a cold ending instead of a fade out would of worked better. Maybe shorten the song by about 10 seconds or so, and end hard on a "Yeah Yeah Yeah"

Now that would have really really cool. Wonder could it be edited to do that?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:25 pm 
Winner: 2007+2009 Other Bands Cover Contest

you'd want the last 'yeah' to echo and ring a bit which I don't think you could pull of with adobe audition or what have you...it would be too abrupt otherwise....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:49 pm 
Got Some

dimejinky99 wrote:
VAN wrote:
Listened to this straight through the other day. It's a really enjoyable album. It's a really fun and natural feeling album. I think this band has earned the right to just make a fun record without trying to make a some overwrought statement. In fact, you could argue they are making a statement by recording a song like the Fixer which I could never imagine them recording before this point. It's probably one my favorite sounding PJ records next to Yield and Riot Act. Not the best songs but the best sounding songs. It's probably my favorite sounding Eddie vocals right now too.

I agree with this completely. They've always been too busy taking themselves too seriously to just make a fun sounding record and I think Theyve earned that right at this point. A lot of the material on here focuses on serious stuff but it's counterbalanced with some great rock songs. Ive totally come around to Gonna see my friend and Johnny Guitar. Even Got Some has improved.

I listen to Backspacer all the time, so I dunno if ill have that space in which you find new things, like we have on the previous Listen to write ups but hopefully it wont matter.

Of course they have the right to do whatever kind of album they want. Not sure what that has to do with anything though.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:50 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

Pearl Jam is at their best when they're self conscious and taking themselves seriously.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:57 pm 
Got Some

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Pearl Jam is at their best when they're self conscious and taking themselves seriously.

This is true. Some bands are best when having fun but some do better when trying to say something even if it is ham fisted at times. PJ is the latter.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:02 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

blues02 wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
VAN wrote:

Of course they have the right to do whatever kind of album they want. Not sure what that has to do with anything though.

Well it has everything to do with it in the context of RM and the internet as usually half the fanbase are complaining, using sentences that start with 'they should have .......' fill in the blank. People complain about the record cos the band arent writing songs or recording them in a way that meets what they expect and demand of the band.

This is especially true of the last two records. Those people need to be realising they'll take what they're given and shut the fuck up. But it doesnt work like that.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:18 pm 
Got Some

dimejinky99 wrote:
blues02 wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
VAN wrote:

Well it has everything to do with it in the context of RM and the internet as usually half the fanbase are complaining, using sentences that start with 'they should have .......' fill in the blank. People complain about the record cos the band arent writing songs or recording them in a way that meets what they expect and demand of the band.

This is especially true of the last two records. Those people need to be realising they'll take what they're given and shut the fuck up. But it doesnt work like that.

Right on. Like it or don't.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:20 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

blues02 wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
blues02 wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
VAN wrote:

So if I don't like it I can't talk about it?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:28 pm 
Got Some

cutuphalfdead wrote:
blues02 wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
blues02 wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
VAN wrote:

Sure, as long as you don't get the "I'm entitled to the album I want" mentality.

You should just talk about DLR era Van Halen though. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:30 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

blues02 wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
blues02 wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
blues02 wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
VAN wrote:

Sure, as long as you don't get the "I'm entitled to the album I want" mentality.

I don't feel entitled to anything here. But I can still be disappointed when I don't feel like my favorite band is playing to their strengths.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:37 pm 
Got Some

cutuphalfdead wrote:
blues02 wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
blues02 wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
blues02 wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
VAN wrote:

I don't feel entitled to anything here. But I can still be disappointed when I don't feel like my favorite band is playing to their strengths.

I think we all do.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:49 pm 
Unthought Known

Unthought Known - I like the intro...I know it's similar to Wishlist / LBC, but it works. As soon as the kick drum kicks in, it really separates itself from those two. Once again, we're getting the positive living theme, and Ed's delivery of "feel the sky..." is, to me, one of his better vocal performances this century. The highlight of the song for me comes at the 1:47 mark; I love the little piano jam, and get pissed every time I hear the song live and that part is basically muted. The "nothing left" part is really good too, and I like Mike's work at the 2:32 mark. I really have no idea what "dream the dream of other men, and you will be no one's rival" means, but it sounds good. Maybe it means we should all think alike and cooperate, as to not fight??? And how does this work in relation to the song "Rival"...in that song, "all my rivals will see what i have in store, my gun.." Sounds like Ed had a change of heart, and now wants to be no body's rival. I don't know, I'm confused, but I still like the song.

Supersonic - It's a'ight, and another theme about "keeping on"...I like Mike's guitar at the 46 second mark, this is an OK power pop song. I used to call it "Mankind 2", but that's not really accurate. It actually isn't all that similar. I love the breakdown, and how Matt snaps them out of it at the 1:44 mark. I used to think this is a "below average" song, but I think I may bump it to the "average" category.

Speed Of Sound - I used to hate this one, but it's not bad, but feels a bit off / awkward. I think it's the drumming...Matt really should try that shuffle thing he did in "Puzzles and Games". I like the wood block (or something like that) throughout the song. The piano is really nice too. Honestly, this is a pretty song, and the music isn't bad at all...something just doesn't click, and I can't quite put my finger on it. It's not the lasers either, as crazy as it sounds, I kinda like them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 518 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 26  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam