Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 518 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26
 Post subject: Re: Let's actually listen to the albums: Backspacer edition
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:14 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Lenny
Rebar
stip
B!
Beef
harmless
Alex
Kevin Davis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:14 pm 
The Snowboy

thodoks wrote:
Harmless wrote:
How do I link to a post, or do I just have to link to the page?

There's a little dog-eared piece of paper in the upper-right hand corner of every post, just to the left of the time/date stamp. That's the hyperlink to individual posts.

Does this work? I'm not sure how good it is because it's not a review of the album as such, just Matt really.

viewtopic.php?p=2832085#p2832085

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:19 pm 
Supersonic

62strat wrote:
Lenny
Rebar
stip
B!
Beef
harmless
Alex
Kevin Davis

the all-RM third team of 2010?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:19 pm 
Unthought Known

Can we just blame Pearl Jam's demise on Matt Cameron? It's been pretty much all downhill since he joined.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:20 pm 
statistically insignificant

Harmless wrote:
thodoks wrote:
Harmless wrote:

There's a little dog-eared piece of paper in the upper-right hand corner of every post, just to the left of the time/date stamp. That's the hyperlink to individual posts.

Does this work? I'm not sure how good it is because it's not a review of the album as such, just Matt really.

you put a lot of work into that, harmless

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:26 pm 
Global Moderator

thodoks wrote:

Really dislike the pop/surf punk aesthetic these bros continue to embrace.

me too. They're the only PJ songs I really have trouble trying to find redeeming qualities in

The perfect gift for certain occasions

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:28 pm 
Global Moderator

Harmless wrote:
thodoks wrote:
Harmless wrote:
thodoks wrote:
The music on Amongst the Waves sounds like it was written for and performed by a Richard Marx backing band. Nothing at all interesting going on rhythmically, sonically, melodically, or structurally. Surprisingly, Eddie's delivery is the only thing that doesn't turn this into sheer pap.

OH WOW MIKE U REALLY SHREDDIN NOW BRO

Man, this is just bad. Bad, bad, bad. Poor Matt.

You're basically saying that my drumming write up was bollocks. I can cope with that, but you're wrong.

I didn't even know such a thing existed.

Yeah. When it first came out I wrote a long review with a focus on Matt's playing. I don't know how much I'd agree with now, but I certainly stand by some opinions.

that was one of my favorite threads in RM history

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:28 pm 
The Snowboy

darth_vedder wrote:
Can we just blame Pearl Jam's demise on Matt Cameron? It's been pretty much all downhill since he joined.

Nope. I think he drums very well on Binaural, Riot Act and Backspacer, apart from a few annoying moments. Not a fan of him on S/T but hey.

I've always felt slightly disappointed by some of Jack Irons' studio work, personally. DTE could've been so amazing. The way he plays it, it's just very good.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:29 pm 
The Snowboy

thodoks wrote:
Harmless wrote:
thodoks wrote:
Harmless wrote:

you put a lot of work into that, harmless

I like those immersive listens. I guess that was a good omen as I'm writing reviews occasionally now.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:37 pm 
Global Moderator

thodoks wrote:
Harmless wrote:
Well, I think there *are* deeper things going on than you give i credit for. That's because I hear them and interpret them in my head and heart that way (yes, cheesy language but I'm calling it as I see it). We all interpret music as we interpret language. That said, I can totally understand that you don't see those things. And I know the reasons you don't see those things (they're the same reasons that stop me recommending this one to potential PJ fans; too many people find too much of the album embarrassing). I just do. So, it's subjective. Some people see depth delivered in a palatable way. Others see superficiality.

What are these deeper things? I keep asking, but I rarely get an answer.

Thematically I see Backspacer as closing a cycle of records that started with Binarual, or possibly even from the very beginning. It is a record about accepting imperfections in the world and the self, and loving them despite, or maybe even because of them, about not having to be in opposition all the time--and that once you've arrived there you're able to live in and experience life in a cleaner, more affecting way. It is a really interesting way to conclude (insofar as a life ever concludes) the journey their music and themes have taken thus far. The immediacy of the music plays to that, I think.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:37 pm 
Unthought Known

Harmless wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:

Nope. I think he drums very well on Binaural, Riot Act and Backspacer, apart from a few annoying moments. Not a fan of him on S/T but hey.

I've always felt slightly disappointed by some of Jack Irons' studio work, personally. DTE could've been so amazing. The way he plays it, it's just very good.

I was just joking...Matt's pretty great for the most part. The band as a whole just seem to be in a funk. Maybe they're too happy? Maybe they're out of ideas? Maybe they like their side projects more? Maybe they're just lazy? I don't know, but something aint right.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:39 pm 
The Snowboy

darth_vedder wrote:
Harmless wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:

I was just joking...Matt's pretty great for the most part. The band as a whole just seem to be in a funk. Maybe they're too happy? Maybe they're out of ideas? Maybe they like their side projects more? Maybe they're just lazy? I don't know, but something aint right.

:thumbsup:

Or maybe it's a heady cocktail of all of the above.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:01 pm 
Unthought Known

Harmless wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
Harmless wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:

Who knows, maybe it's me that's in a funk? I reckon a lot of people like Backspacer way more than PJ's other albums, and from their perspective, Backspacer was the end of PJ's funk. I have no idea, but 2 mediocre albums (to these ears) in 6 years has kinda put me off a little bit. Like you were saying though...I've been following them for 20+ years, so I doubt I'll just stop, but between the lack of material, sloppy shows, and a crappy fan club (thanks Tim), my interest in them is at an all time low.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:07 pm 
The Snowboy

darth_vedder wrote:
Harmless wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
Harmless wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:

Who knows, maybe it's me that's in a funk? I reckon a lot of people like Backspacer way more than PJ's other albums, and from their perspective, Backspacer was the end of PJ's funk. I have no idea, but 2 mediocre albums (to these ears) in 6 years has kinda put me off a little bit. Like you were saying though...I've been following them for 20+ years, so I doubt I'll just stop, but between the lack of material, sloppy shows, and a crappy fan club (thanks Tim), my interest in them is at an all time low.

Well, I think Backspacer was a huge step up from S/T. So I'm lucky I guess.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:23 pm 
On the bright side

Alex wrote:
62strat wrote:
Lenny
Rebar
stip
B!
Beef
harmless
Alex
Kevin Davis

the all-RM third team of 2010?

The core of responsibility for all posts scored as "5/10", really.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:27 pm 
The Snowboy

Interestingly, there's a song on this new Wintersleep album that is not so dissimilar to Speed of Sound. A little bit country, a little bit slow dancy, a little bit dream poppy. But Loel Campbell (drummer) plays it very sensitively. Most of the song is just tambourine until he faffs around towards the end. I'm thinking it's pretty similar to how Matt should've played SOS.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:32 pm 
Global Moderator

I listened to most of this on my way home from work yesterday. I don't know that I'd want an album that did the same things as Backspacer, but I still really love this record.

I think my favorite moment on the whole album is that little patterns solo Mike plays at the end of FoN

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:07 pm 
Winner: 2007+2009 Other Bands Cover Contest

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 518 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam