Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1457 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 73  Next
 Post subject: Re: TEN deluxe/legacy
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:54 am 
Master of Meh

joostone wrote:
spenno wrote:
That My Generation reissue is brilliant, I've got it. I can only hope we'll get something on par with that.

One thing I'd kill to hear would be some soundboard recordings from Dave Krusen's time in the band, as far as I recall none have ever surfaced.

that would be sweet, but I don't think there are any. I've read somewhere that they started recording shows on the vs tour. Like that one Vegas show or some Vs b-sides. I don't think the band recorded any shows in 91/92.

I'd love to find the exact article again, but I'm pretty certain Brett Eliason stated he ran a tape straight off the board from the earliest shows but only began multi-track recording from the Vs tour onwards (ie: individual tracks so it can be later remixed for the best sound).

I'm sure plenty of those early board tapes still have a decent enough mix to be considered for release.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:31 pm 
Force of Nature

spenno wrote:
joostone wrote:
spenno wrote:
That My Generation reissue is brilliant, I've got it. I can only hope we'll get something on par with that.

One thing I'd kill to hear would be some soundboard recordings from Dave Krusen's time in the band, as far as I recall none have ever surfaced.

that would be sweet, but I don't think there are any. I've read somewhere that they started recording shows on the vs tour. Like that one Vegas show or some Vs b-sides. I don't think the band recorded any shows in 91/92.

I'd love to find the exact article again, but I'm pretty certain Brett Eliason stated he ran a tape straight off the board from the earliest shows but only began multi-track recording from the Vs tour onwards (ie: individual tracks so it can be later remixed for the best sound).

I'm sure plenty of those early board tapes still have a decent enough mix to be considered for release.

Yeah that could be. Who has this article?? But that NewYears Eve 92 boot sounds like an aud. if there would be a soundboard then why is this one not?

But, do you prefer an early live recording over an outtake disc?

I'm pretty sure that Disc 2 in this set is either a live disc or a rarities disc.
I still think I would prefer a decent rarities disc, and by decent I mean all the songs we already have on bootlegs (rarities cut/rough mixes etc) and hopefully some unknown gems (if there are any;)).

Het nederlandstalige Pearl Jam forum:

http://www.pearljamonline.nl

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:33 pm 
Global Moderator

i've got no problem with this in theory. The issue is the execution. If they do a good job then it was a great idea. if it is just a money maker with no new content then that's too bad.

On the other hand, REM has reissued each of their records about a dozen times each and I can still look them in the mirror, so either way, we'll get through this!

The perfect gift for certain occasions

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:20 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

spenno wrote:
Mine wrote:
You're wrong. Recording companies do whatever is cheaper for them. Re-recording vocals is not cheaper. If Sony/BMG alone did this you would have 10 with the b-sides and bonuses from various versions of the album and a handfull of unreleased material(probably live)-maybe.

That's what I think we'll get anyway...

The fact that Sony had placed songs like Brother, Just A Girl and the original version of Alone on that "Rarities & Unreleased Cuts" promo CD confirms that they're well aware of what they're sitting on - the story, as I remember, was that this CD (and others like it) were created to give to the band to pick which songs they wanted included on Lost Dogs.

Wasn't it the other way around? Didn't the band made the CD for the recording company? I think RVM was the compilation they were "draged" on.

I don't think the recording company was thinking in terms of specific songs as to what they were sitting on. From their perspective the individual cuts aren't as relevant commercially as the compilation of rare and unreleased tracks as a whole. What Epic would have probably done would just be including previously released material because it's the only ready for release (or the closest to if you count remastering). The unreleased cuts all needed mixing and mastering probably which costs money a recording company is happy to not spend.

spenno wrote:
I think the record company will put on whatever makes them the most MONEY. Re-recording vocals is more expensive, you're right, and this just proves my point; had the record company made Lost Dogs, I'm sure we would have the original versions of Hold On and Brother.

Brother for sure. Hold On wasn't release material. It sounds like a demo at best, not even a proper outtake so it's not up to standard for release. I doubt a recording company would pick it as it was anyway.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:25 pm 
Master of Meh

joostone wrote:
spenno wrote:
joostone wrote:
spenno wrote:

Yeah that could be. Who has this article?? But that NewYears Eve 92 boot sounds like an aud. if there would be a soundboard then why is this one not?

But, do you prefer an early live recording over an outtake disc?

I'm pretty sure that Disc 2 in this set is either a live disc or a rarities disc.
I still think I would prefer a decent rarities disc, and by decent I mean all the songs we already have on bootlegs (rarities cut/rough mixes etc) and hopefully some unknown gems (if there are any;)).

Oh yeah, they definitely used the audience tape. I'd wager the NYE '92 show is one of those they might've had a tape that was recorded straight off the board but for whatever reason, the mix isn't optimal and so it wasn't used (as it was pre-1993, they wouldn't have the multi-tracks to go back and do a new mix).

It's always seemed like a completely bizarre choice of show to give away to me - if they don't have that one in great quality, why not just choose another damn show?!

Oh, I still wanted the rarities included too - but thought that, since Ten isn't a hugely lengthy album, you'd fit a fair bit of extra stuff on the first disc and the second, even if a live set is included (they didn't play very long sets in 1991/1992 after all).

I just hope it's done well, as stip said. That's all I want.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:48 pm 
Unthought Known

You know what I'd like? A "Classic Albums" DVD of Ten. If you've never seen one (VH1 airs them all the time), basically they interview the people who made the album and sit them down at a board where they can isolate certain parts and show how they put it all together. The Sex Pistols one is good. I've got the ones for Nevermind and Dark Side Of The Moon. They're incredible. Its so cool to hear Butch Vig isolate harmonic vocals from Cobain/Grohl or to see David Gilmour perfectly re-create guitar solos on his own.

Ten deserves one. If there's a re-issue of the album, there needs to be some kind of behind the scenes DVD.

"Remember back the early days when you were young and thus amazed."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:53 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

stip wrote:
i've got no problem with this in theory. The issue is the execution. If they do a good job then it was a great idea. if it is just a money maker with no new content then that's too bad.

On the other hand, REM has reissued each of their records about a dozen times each and I can still look them in the mirror, so either way, we'll get through this!

How do you look REM in the mirror? Do you have magical mirrors that don't reflect you?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:37 am 
Winner: 2007+2009 Other Bands Cover Contest

Riot Actor 25 wrote:
You know what I'd like? A "Classic Albums" DVD of Ten. If you've never seen one (VH1 airs them all the time), basically they interview the people who made the album and sit them down at a board where they can isolate certain parts and show how they put it all together. The Sex Pistols one is good. I've got the ones for Nevermind and Dark Side Of The Moon. They're incredible. Its so cool to hear Butch Vig isolate harmonic vocals from Cobain/Grohl or to see David Gilmour perfectly re-create guitar solos on his own.

Ten deserves one. If there's a re-issue of the album, there needs to be some kind of behind the scenes DVD.

The Queen one is my favorite. Who's Next was real good too....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:06 pm 
Global Moderator

cutuphalfdead wrote:
stip wrote:

How do you look REM in the mirror? Do you have magical mirrors that don't reflect you?

yeah---it came in one of the life's rich pagent reissues

The perfect gift for certain occasions

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:05 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

stip wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
stip wrote:

yeah---it came in one of the life's rich pagent reissues

you sir, are a god among men

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:46 pm 
Master of Meh

Some guy on the Message Pit wrote:
A friend of mine is very close to this project and from the sound of it there will be three versions from which to choose. One will be a double disc, the second will be the discs plus a live DVD and the third will be a box set with all that plus vinyl versions, a repro of an original demo cassette and a book.

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=309350

*drool*

If true, that'd be pretty great. I'd definitely go for the Collector's Edition if it has all that in there.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:53 am 
Back from the dead

I might get it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:23 am 
Cameron's Stallion
 WWW  Profile

Jammer91 wrote:
I will get it.

13/11/06 Melbourne, 20/11/09 Melbourne

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:30 pm 
Johnny Guitar

That other version of Yellow Ledbetter would be cool. None of those goddamn Gossman Project demos. They're so annoying. And why is it so hard for people to realize "The King" is Even Flow? Haven't you ever read the early recording sessions guide? I'm Mandy Moore and even I have read that.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:51 am 
Leak Inspector
 WWW  Profile

they could fix the album with this release, or this will be very worthless

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:18 pm 
Mike's Maniac

as much as i don't want to admit it, i probably will get this. my copy of ten is scratched to hell as it is

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:45 am 
Mike's Maniac
 WWW  Profile

PeopleMyAge wrote:
as much as i don't want to admit it, i probably will get this. my copy of ten is scratched to hell as it is

:cop: are you not carefull with PJ stuff???

'the definition of madness is doing the same thing and expecting a different result'

www.fantasyfaces.nl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:59 am 
Red Mosquito, my libido

m1chellelovesPJ wrote:
PeopleMyAge wrote:

:cop: are you not carefull with PJ stuff???

I've gone through a couple copies of most of the albums.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:01 pm 
Got Some

Meh. One thing I love about people like Tom Waits, Dylan, and Neil Young is that the news coming out of their camps is always about the future...not a lot of repackaging the past. Hell, Neil's gonna have this massive set of retrospection, but even that spent years on the back burner because he had so many new things going on...and it waited until he really was in the twilight of his career. Even Springsteen finds a great way to balance the past and present, in the projects he chooses and the setlists he plays. That whole Who live-in-the-past thing is a turn-off. I don't really want to hear about any reissues.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:51 pm 
Force of Nature

McParadigmatWork wrote:
Meh. One thing I love about people like Tom Waits, Dylan, and Neil Young is that the news coming out of their camps is always about the future...not a lot of repackaging the past. Hell, Neil's gonna have this massive set of retrospection, but even that spent years on the back burner because he had so many new things going on...and it waited until he really was in the twilight of his career. Even Springsteen finds a great way to balance the past and present, in the projects he chooses and the setlists he plays. That whole Who live-in-the-past thing is a turn-off. I don't really want to hear about any reissues.

Dylan, Neil and Tom Waits aren't on sony/bmg. Like Led Zep also isn't. I don't think Warner does these kind of deluxe sets.

This DELUXE thingy is a sony/bmg product. But I don't really like it either, but when they do choose to do one all I hope it will be done properly.

Het nederlandstalige Pearl Jam forum:

http://www.pearljamonline.nl

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1457 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 73  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam