Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Romancing the Stone (Gossard)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:23 pm 
Spacegirl

Owl_Farmer wrote:
How does Jorge know so much about Stone's behaviour during the PJ20 extravaganza?

Gary.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:25 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

*High-bro(w)*

durdencommatyler wrote:
iPones, man. Fuck.

Proud member of: Team Binaural and Team Argo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:03 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Forgive my ignorance but what's PiL?

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them" -Karl Popper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:11 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Only the greatest band nobody's ever heard of!

I Got Memories

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:52 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I'm guessing it's not public image ltd;)

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them" -Karl Popper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:29 pm 
Master of Meh

Tuolumne wrote:
That, with things said in interviews, and DIRECT comments from Stone's best friends (read Regan Hagar's comments in Grunge is Dead) and there's just a distance there.

I'm reading Grunge is Dead right now and you're right, dude sure doesn't pull any punches!

It's quite surprising that he's done most of the band's recent artwork and puts together the Deep mag, he doesn't seem to be overly fond of anyone in Pearl Jam apart from Stone (and blames the other members of Pearl Jam for sabotaging Brad's career).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:33 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

So weird. I just got up to insert a disc into my stereo, sat back down, hit refesh, and saw this thread had been bumped. The album? Bayleaf.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:34 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

spenno wrote:
Tuolumne wrote:
That, with things said in interviews, and DIRECT comments from Stone's best friends (read Regan Hagar's comments in Grunge is Dead) and there's just a distance there.

I'm reading Grunge is Dead right now and you're right, dude sure doesn't pull any punches!

It's quite surprising that he's done most of the band's recent artwork and puts together the Deep mag, he doesn't seem to be overly fond of anyone in Pearl Jam apart from Stone (and blames the other members of Pearl Jam for sabotaging Brad's career).

ooo, juicy...details please.....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:51 pm 
Master of Meh

62strat wrote:
spenno wrote:
Tuolumne wrote:

"I respect Pearl Jam and love Stone as a dear friend, but they're just not for me. I also don't buy into the Eddie Vedder thing - "woe is me". I mean, come on - didn't you grow up wanting to be a rock star?" - pg 326

"There was some serious tension with Pearl Jam and Brad initially, because some members of Pearl Jam were like, "you guys are coattail riding". Which made Shawn and I furious. First of all, I'd been in Seattle trying to make it happen longer than anybody." - pg 357

"We spent whatever tens of thousands of dollars making videos - why are we not putting them out? I just got the runaround. Then Satchel started being managed by Tony Dimitriades. He happened to be in a room in a Sony office where this stuff was being discussed. He unraveled a lot of information for me. I guess there was an internal memo at Sony saying "don't promote Brad". They put the kibosh on it officially. We talked to Stone about it - Stone was embarrassed I think - asked us not to relay this information in interviews. "Please don't lash back at Pearl Jam - times have changed, we all grow and learn". That's easy to say when you're on top, but I think we basically never tell this story. That's just a little bit of it. Now enough time has passed - I think it's fine to say the reason Brad never did anything was because Pearl Jam didn't want Stone to do it. Now they feel differently. But now, it's kind of too late." - pg 358

...there's no index so finding these quotes is a bitch. There's an earlier one where he talks of jamming with Stone and Jeff in the early version of what became Mother Love Bone when they were Lords of the Wasteland (lol @ Mark Arm - 'the Wasted Landlords') but couldn't get along with Jeff so it didn't work out. I can't help but wonder if Jeff was the one pushing for Brad to fail, which makes it all the more surprising that Regan's basically taken over Jeff's role as Pearl Jam's art director of late.

I thought there might've been some quotes that there was some resentment towards Stone and Jeff for tempting Andy away from Malfunkshun into MLB but that might've just been Andy's brothers, not Regan. There was a suggestion Andy might still be alive had he stuck with Malfunkshun because they knew him better and could keep a better eye on him than Jeff and Stone. Andy's girlfriend also expressed disappointment with Chris, Jeff and Stone in making money off Andy's death through the Temple of the Dog record.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:05 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

spenno wrote:
62strat wrote:
spenno wrote:
Tuolumne wrote:

"I respect Pearl Jam and love Stone as a dear friend, but they're just not for me. I also don't buy into the Eddie Vedder thing - "woe is me". I mean, come on - didn't you grow up wanting to be a rock star?" - pg 326

"There was some serious tension with Pearl Jam and Brad initially, because some members of Pearl Jam were like, "you guys are coattail riding". Which made Shawn and I furious. First of all, I'd been in Seattle trying to make it happen longer than anybody." - pg 357

"We spent whatever tens of thousands of dollars making videos - why are we not putting them out? I just got the runaround. Then Satchel started being managed by Tony Dimitriades. He happened to be in a room in a Sony office where this stuff was being discussed. He unraveled a lot of information for me. I guess there was an internal memo at Sony saying "don't promote Brad". They put the kibosh on it officially. We talked to Stone about it - Stone was embarrassed I think - asked us not to relay this information in interviews. "Please don't lash back at Pearl Jam - times have changed, we all grow and learn". That's easy to say when you're on top, but I think we basically never tell this story. That's just a little bit of it. Now enough time has passed - I think it's fine to say the reason Brad never did anything was because Pearl Jam didn't want Stone to do it. Now they feel differently. But now, it's kind of too late." - pg 358

...there's no index so finding these quotes is a bitch. There's an earlier one where he talks of jamming with Stone and Jeff in the early version of what became Mother Love Bone when they were Lords of the Wasteland (lol @ Mark Arm - 'the Wasted Landlords') but couldn't get along with Jeff so it didn't work out. I can't help but wonder if Jeff was the one pushing for Brad to fail, which makes it all the more surprising that Regan's basically taken over Jeff's role as Pearl Jam's art director of late.

I thought there might've been some quotes that there was some resentment towards Stone and Jeff for tempting Andy away from Malfunkshun into MLB but that might've just been Andy's brothers, not Regan. There was a suggestion Andy might still be alive had he stuck with Malfunkshun because they knew him better and could keep a better eye on him than Jeff and Stone. Andy's girlfriend also expressed disappointment with Chris, Jeff and Stone in making money off Andy's death through the Temple of the Dog record.

So he's just crusty and jealous?

Except for the sony not wanting to promote brad (which by that quote you presented made it seem as though it was Sony's decision)

Seems to be water under the bridge at this point?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:14 pm 
Master of Meh

Well, I think he was inferring Sony was exercising a request that originated from Pearl Jam. That's why he says Stoney always warns him not to be too harsh on the band in interviews, etc.

I guess all's forgiven now, but these aren't old interviews - the book was published in 2009 and the context of Regan's quotes indicate they're relatively recent. I wouldn't necessarily say he's jealous - I think he'd have every right to feel pissed off, it's not like he and Shawn are millionaires so it'd pretty frustrating to have people working against you succeeding.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:15 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

spenno wrote:
Well, I think he was inferring Sony was exercising a request that originated from Pearl Jam. That's why he says Stoney always warns him not to be too harsh on the band in interviews, etc.

I guess all's forgiven now, but these aren't old interviews - the book was published in 2009 and the context of Regan's quotes indicate they're relatively recent. I wouldn't necessarily say he's jealous - I think he'd have every right to feel pissed off, it's not like he and Shawn are millionaires so it'd pretty frustrating to have people working against you succeeding.

Well i don't think brad is that good. i really cant imagine them being anymore successful with a push from Sony.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:31 pm 
Master of Meh

62strat wrote:
spenno wrote:

Well i don't think brad is that good. i really cant imagine them being anymore successful with a push from Sony.

That's not the point, though. The point was that Pearl Jam made sure Brad's records didn't get promoted and you were saying it sounds like that was a Sony decision, not from Pearl Jam - but if you read Regan's quote, I think he makes it pretty clear what he believes was going on.

It doesn't make any sense for Sony not to promote the record - Brad were signed to Sony, I'm sure they'd want them to sell as many records as they could. Shawn has an incredible voice and there's no reason they couldn't pick up their own audience. Pearl Jam were pretty big wheels down at the cracker factory at the time, so Regan's saying they were using their power to 'put the kibosh' on Brad's career or else they'd walk on Sony or whatever.

(Brad are pretty great, strat.)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:36 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

spenno wrote:
pretty big wheels down at the cracker factory

:D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:45 pm 
Banned from the Pit

spenno wrote:
62strat wrote:
spenno wrote:

That's not the point, though. The point was that Pearl Jam made sure Brad's records didn't get promoted and you were saying it sounds like that was a Sony decision, not from Pearl Jam - but if you read Regan's quote, I think he makes it pretty clear what he believes was going on.

It doesn't make any sense for Sony not to promote the record - Brad were signed to Sony, I'm sure they'd want them to sell as many records as they could. Shawn has an incredible voice and there's no reason they couldn't pick up their own audience. Pearl Jam were pretty big wheels down at the cracker factory at the time, so Regan's saying they were using their power to 'put the kibosh' on Brad's career or else they'd walk on Sony or whatever.

When i read this book i thought Regan came across as a little bitter. What he believes and what was actually going could be two very different things.

I like Brad and Satchel, but neither band could ever be Pearl Jam big. If Stone wasn't involved in Brad, not as people would have give a shit about them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:25 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

spenno wrote:
62strat wrote:
spenno wrote:

yes, Brad is great and i like them!. My point though is i dont feel they would be any bigger with any different backing than they had. I dont think they are that good to achieve anymore than what they have...like 99.9999% of bands out there. Which kind of ties into how to me...it seems to come across as bitter/jealously only. And as stated above..because of that....what he perceives and what may actually have gone on could be very different.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:50 am 
Got Some

i don't know, in the end it was all probably a wash....

you might argue that Brad was more popular than they should have been because of Stone's popularity/profile... but then, if as suggested by Regan, they got little to no promotion due to pearl jam, what is the net effect overall?

i'm not saying any of it was right or not, but i don't think you (not anyone here in particular) can necessarily suggest that pearl jam prevented Brad from becoming huge because i would bet they probably benefited from the association a lot more overall.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:51 am 
Former PJ Drummer

chino wrote:
i don't know, in the end it was all probably a wash....

you might argue that Brad was more popular than they should have been because of Stone's popularity/profile... but then, if as suggested by Regan, they got little to no promotion due to pearl jam, what is the net effect overall?

i'm not saying any of it was right or not, but i don't think you (not anyone here in particular) can necessarily suggest that pearl jam prevented Brad from becoming huge because i would bet they probably benefited from the association a lot more overall.

Spenno can cause thats what Spenno likes to do ;)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:28 am 
Master of Meh

Hey, I'm hardly arguing - just reporting what Regan said.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:39 am 
Former PJ Drummer

Messing with you. Shut up and hold me!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam