Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Romancing the Stone (Gossard)
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:56 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

leopold wrote:
iceagecoming wrote:
The most plausible theory to me is that PJ couldn't keep putting out grunge-riff-rockery, so everyone else had to contribute in bringing a decent set of songs to the table so they could keep creating music that kept them interested as well as a lot of fans.

'Grunge-riff rockery' like...?

Personally, I think it more came from the fact that they were creating a lot more as a band for Vs. through No Code, as opposed to working from initial demos (I believe the band has said a good chunk of Vs., Vitalogy and No Code came out of impromptu jams).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:03 pm 
Force of Nature
 WWW  Profile

Juvenal wrote:
Er yeah, I'm going to make a few assumptions about someone I don't know, based on shifty subjective "evidence", about things that no one bar the band members and/or their friends and relatives would know. Stellar guesswork! :thumbsup:

OMG - WE ARE SO PWNED. I WISH I COULD USE QUOTATION MARKS AND EMOTICONS LIKE YOU.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:05 pm 
Founding Bitch

leopold wrote:
Juvenal wrote:
Er yeah, I'm going to make a few assumptions about someone I don't know, based on shifty subjective "evidence", about things that no one bar the band members and/or their friends and relatives would know. Stellar guesswork! :thumbsup:

OMG - WE ARE SO PWNED. I WISH I COULD USE QUOTATION MARKS AND EMOTICONS LIKE YOU.

Oooooouch I've been flamed! I bestow upon you the rank of Keyboard Warrior, First Rank. :luv:

Wilderness 1:49-2:04. Diamond Dust.

Window Washer's Dream - Planet Sonata's Intension

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:47 pm 
Banned from the Pit

Juvenal wrote:

This is the nature of bands, and as fans I think it's more than fine to speculate. How the band members relate to each other has everything to do with how the music comes out. We hear the music, see the writing credits, and we speculate, cause it all plays into the music, which we are the consumers of. I personally see a gaping hole in the collaborative relationship between Stone and Ed. I think it's a perfectly valid subject matter, and it's not addressed enough. I consider Hard to Imagine and In Hiding to be classics of the Ed/Stone relationship. It takes the best of what they both do and puts it altogether, something that can only come from the 2 of them and no one else. I don't expect a repeat, but I do want to know, as a fan, where that relationship is cause I don't see it progressing in the music.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:46 pm 
Coast to Coast

I will admit that the only reason I made this thread was because I saw Romancing the Stone was on TV and it made me giggle.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:52 pm 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

theplatypus wrote:
I will admit that the only reason I made this thread was because I saw Romancing the Stone was on TV and it made me giggle.

fuck you, troll.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:00 pm 
Founding Bitch

theplatypus wrote:

I did love the thread title. 8)

Wilderness 1:49-2:04. Diamond Dust.

Window Washer's Dream - Planet Sonata's Intension

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:33 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

cutuphalfdead wrote:
During the shows I saw on the 2010 US tour Stone was stuck out to me more than any other band member. He was more animated and into than I've seen him in years, and sounded great.

This was my first thought. If anything I would say that Stone has gotten happier and more comfortable over the last 10 years than the other way around. He is taking more solo's in the show, he is obviously conscious of his tone ( I wish McCready thought it through more. That fucking high pitched shit in the middle of Even Flow.....), his guitar and writing heavily influenced the last 2 records. I get the feeling he has a huge interest in things being a certain way and maybe gets frustrated when they aren't, but he is obviously heavily interested and engaged in this whole process (business, shows, records, etc.)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:39 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Tuolumne wrote:
Juvenal wrote:

This is the nature of bands, and as fans I think it's more than fine to speculate. How the band members relate to each other has everything to do with how the music comes out. We hear the music, see the writing credits, and we speculate, cause it all plays into the music, which we are the consumers of. I personally see a gaping hole in the collaborative relationship between Stone and Ed. I think it's a perfectly valid subject matter, and it's not addressed enough. I consider Hard to Imagine and In Hiding to be classics of the Ed/Stone relationship. It takes the best of what they both do and puts it altogether, something that can only come from the 2 of them and no one else. I don't expect a repeat, but I do want to know, as a fan, where that relationship is cause I don't see it progressing in the music.

Tuolumne, would you support the implementation of an Ed/Stone-centered reality program on which the ups and downs of their relationship can be documented in full detail before a prime time audience?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:49 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

leopold wrote:
iceagecoming wrote:
The most plausible theory to me is that PJ couldn't keep putting out grunge-riff-rockery, so everyone else had to contribute in bringing a decent set of songs to the table so they could keep creating music that kept them interested as well as a lot of fans.

Release
Black
Garden
Footsteps
Hard to Imagine
Daughter
Dissident
Who You Are
No Way
All Those Yesterdays
Strangest Tribe
Fatal
Thin Air
Of the Girl
Anchors
Unhand Me
Sunburn
Parachutes
All or None

Yup - plausible theory...

You misunderstood my point. I was talking about the supposed change in leadership after Ten, and why the songwriting dynamic stopped being almost exclusively Gossard/Vedder after that album. 'Grunge-riff-rockery' was in reference to Ten.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:54 pm 
Fuck Sharks

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:55 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

digster wrote:
leopold wrote:
iceagecoming wrote:
Also,if control passed from Stone to Ed after Ten, it's because the music Stone was writing slowly became redundant in what Pearl Jam were and wanted to be. This doesn't however make Ed to blame by default. The most plausible theory to me is that PJ couldn't keep putting out grunge-riff-rockery, so everyone else had to contribute in bringing a decent set of songs to the table so they could keep creating music that kept them interested as well as a lot of fans.

Personally, I think it more came from the fact that they were creating a lot more as a band for Vs. through No Code, as opposed to working from initial demos (I believe the band has said a good chunk of Vs., Vitalogy and No Code came out of impromptu jams).

Agreed. But it's also hard to deny that the bands sound and approach to song writing changed after Ten. The hard rock aesthetic survived through Vs and Vitalogy and remained the backbone to their records, but the grungey, pentatonic riffs that defined Ten never really resurfaced (for better or worse).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

inglishteecher wrote:
but of all the people on stage during the temple sets, he seemed to be enjoying himself more than anyone else.

This X 100. He looked like he was having a blast during the Temple sets.

I Got Memories

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:11 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

iceagecoming wrote:
digster wrote:
leopold wrote:
iceagecoming wrote:
Also,if control passed from Stone to Ed after Ten, it's because the music Stone was writing slowly became redundant in what Pearl Jam were and wanted to be. This doesn't however make Ed to blame by default. The most plausible theory to me is that PJ couldn't keep putting out grunge-riff-rockery, so everyone else had to contribute in bringing a decent set of songs to the table so they could keep creating music that kept them interested as well as a lot of fans.

Agreed. But it's also hard to deny that the bands sound and approach to song writing changed after Ten. The hard rock aesthetic survived through Vs and Vitalogy and remained the backbone to their records, but the grungey, pentatonic riffs that defined Ten never really resurfaced (for better or worse).

To a degree, I’d agree with that, although again I think that had to do with them creating more as a band than this concisious need to take the reins from the Gossard/Vedder combo. I think it was all much more instinctual than that. Also, Eddie having a larger musical voice had to do with it. I think a lot of it also had to do with the songwriters just evolving from that period of time. I mean, a year after Porch, Ed was writing Reaverviewmirror, a year after Ten Stone was writing Daughter. I think they just weren’t being static.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:15 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

If Stone sucking the cow tit 3 years ago doesn't say he's having fun, nothing will.

I Got Memories

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:10 pm 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

Kevin Davis wrote:
Tuolumne wrote:
Juvenal wrote:

Tuolumne, would you support the implementation of an Ed/Stone-centered reality program on which the ups and downs of their relationship can be documented in full detail before a prime time audience?

i would, imo.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:04 pm 
Spacegirl

theplatypus wrote:

jorge, you can't just make a thread, then exist only as a cardboard cutout in it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:05 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

digster wrote:
iceagecoming wrote:
digster wrote:
leopold wrote:
iceagecoming wrote:

To a degree, I’d agree with that, although again I think that had to do with them creating more as a band than this concisious need to take the reins from the Gossard/Vedder combo. I think it was all much more instinctual than that. Also, Eddie having a larger musical voice had to do with it. I think a lot of it also had to do with the songwriters just evolving from that period of time. I mean, a year after Porch, Ed was writing Reaverviewmirror, a year after Ten Stone was writing Daughter. I think they just weren’t being static.

yeah, that was the point I was trying to make all along. I agree it was instinctual. I think (unselfconsciously) they realised there was no need or interest in creating songs musically like those on Ten.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:28 pm 
Global Moderator

Stone was the 'leader' of the band like 17 years ago. If he was gonna have quit the band over that it would have been a LONG time ago. If he is harboring resentments 17 years, millions of dollars, critical acclaim, legions of devoted fans, a movie about your band, and a sure fire first round induction into the R+R hall of fame later then he's pretty petty.

The perfect gift for certain occasions

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:33 pm 
a joke

What in the hell is "PiL"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam