Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3666 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184  Next
 Post subject: Re: Backspacer - The album thread!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:31 pm 
Ghostasauros

I just finished listening to Backspacer. I listened to two full plays through consecutively. And you know what? I liked is *slightly* more then I remember. It's probably been at least a year since I had even wanted to listen to this album and even longer since I had given it a proper listen from start to finish. I still definitely think it is PJ's weakest album, probably by a long shot, but it isn't the completely unlistenable mess that I remembered.

1. Gonna See My Friend.....2/5 Stars.....I feel like I should like this song a bit more then I do, but I just don't. It's a rocker that just doesn't rub me the right way. PJ are often times really hit or miss for me on their faster rock tracks and this one misses the mark for me.

2. Got Some.....3.25/5 Stars.....I like this track but again I feel like there is something missing. It seems like this should be a great song but is just lacks that "something" to make it special.

3. The Fixer.....2.5/5 Stars.....What can I say about The Fixer that hasn't already been said on this board? Well I guess that I can say that I don't hate it, which is about as rave a review that this song may get around here. I like the chorus and bridge sections just fine, but the lyrics in the verses just simply kill the tracks potential. So far the album has three songs that had potential to be good to very good songs and all come up short of their potential.

4. Johnny Guitar.....4.25 Stars.....Johnny Guitar is the first really bright spot on the album. This is unlike any other song in the PJ catalog. It's a difficult song for me to really lay a finger on as to why I like dig it so much, but I do. It gives me hope that PJ still has creative places to go musically. The one negative that I have on this track is the fade out. I hate fade out endings.

5. Just Breathe.....3/5 Stars.....Just Breathe is a really pretty track, but I find it a bit boring and it kind of kills the momentum that was building with the previous songs. Again, not a bad song here just nothing special either.

6. Amongst The Waves.....4.5/5 Stars.....I think that I am one of the few on RM that really loves this song. I loved it before the album even came out and all we had was a 30 second clip, and I still love it. Eddie's vocals are great. The guitars crunch. The lyrics work for me too. I'm not completely bored with all the water metaphors (as a lot of people are). All that being said, I do think the song comes up just a bit short of being the epic anthem some of it's musical ancestors are and it suffers quite a bit in the live setting. But this isn't a live album and the studio track works for me.

7. Unthought Known.....3.5/5 Stars.....This is another song that I feel like I should like more then I do (the running theme of Backspacer I guess). Another mid tempo song that has always been a PJ staple and is usually a strong point for the band, but this song just doesn't quite reach the bar that its predecessors have set. It lacks the punch I'd like it to have.

8. Supersonic.....2/5 Stars.....This is probably the weakest song on the record. Like Gonna See My Friends, this is another uptempo track that just misses the mark. The bright spot here is the bride section which is far superior to the rest of the song and is maybe the best 20+ seconds that Backspacer has to offer. I wish that 20 seconds could have found its way into a better song or better yet become the musical base of its own track because the song that surrounds it is uninspired and bland.

9. Speed Of Sound.....3.75/5 Stars.....I dig Speed OF Sound. This is another unique track in the PJ catalog, and it isn't the favorite of many PJ fans, but it suites me just fine. I like that PJ is doing something musically different here and I think it works. Again, this song gives me hope that the follow up to Backspacer can be more musically interesting then this collection of songs.

10. Force Of Nature.....4/5 Stars.....This song has aged the better for me then the rest of Backspacer. I find it more compelling then I did initially. It reminds me a lot of Light Years and I think I like it quite a bit more then that track. The opening lyrics are fantastic. Actually, I think this is by far the strongest set of lyrics on the album. I have also grown like the music a lot more over time. I initially thought of it as a bit lackluster, but it is far better then that early impression left on me.

11. The End.....4/5 Stars.....A beautiful closer to the album. I think it is by far the better of the two basically solo EV efforts on Backspacer. A somber and longingly haunting track that lyrically and compositionaly gels exceptionally well.

My overall grade for Backspacer comes in at 3.068/5 Stars. I'm pretty sure that if I graded every PJ album out song by songs as I have done here this would still rank dead last for me, but it is actually a bit higher then I would have guessed it would have graded out. Obviously this is far from a great album (it might not even be considered a good album) but as a stated before it isn't a complete disaster. There are a few strong tracks (definitely no classics), a couple duds, and a lot of decent songs that should have or could have been better. I really hope that the next PJ record is much better and actually lives up to the expectations the we all have as die hard fans, and I will keep the faith that PJ still has another great album in them until the day they retire.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:59 am 
Force of Nature

I like the 0.25 of a star rating feature. It makes the over all average much more accurate in the final calculations.

Math!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:56 am 
Johnny Guitar

GSMF = 4/5 - like it. Love the bridge into "astral
Plane" line. Needs the "f" bomb on atleast one "see my friends"
Got Some= 4.5/5 - love best song on the album. great energy. Better live than studio IMHO.
The Fixer= 3.75/5 - has grown on me. Could be better but fun to singalong with.
Johnny Guitar = 4.25/5 - great song 2nd fav.
Just Breathe = 4.25/5- great ballad Ed sounds great.
Amongst The Waves = 3.75/5 - eds vocals don't do it for me. Sorry Ed.could of been better.
Unthought Known = 4.25/5 - great song love the build up.
Supersonic = 2.5/5 - bside - like the bridge
Speed Of Sound 1.5/5 - nice lyrics like the demo hate recorded version
Force Of nature = 4/5 - great song/lyrics. Ed sounds great.
The end = 4/5 - great song one of Ed's finest violins/cello... needed to be louder

40.75/55

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:20 am 
Former PJ Drummer

PHATJ wrote:
6. Amongst The Waves.....4.5/5 Stars....

holy shit!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:02 am 
Master of Meh

I'd probably give GSMF, Johnny Guitar and Speed of Sound solid 3s.

The rest...I dunno, let's just pretend this whole last five years or so didn't happen and move on.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:03 am 
Global Moderator

I haven't rated backspacer in a while, especially with this game changing .25 innovation!

GSMF: 4.5 Still one of my favorite openers. I love the riff, love the energy, and some of my favorite matt work in a pearl jam song
Got Some: 3. 75 Eddie needs to bite a little harder here. Love the music
The Fixer: 4.25 I really like the fixer a lot
Johnny Guitar: 4 Still really like this one but the shortness of the song keeps me from ranking it higher
Just Breathe: 4 still very pretty. Still wish the chorus was toned down a bit
Amongst the Waves: 3.5 Still think the chorus is flat, still love the verses and that summer rain riff.
Unthought Known: 3.5 A 3 star song with a few 5 star moments
Supersonic: 2.25 Still kinda poitnless
Speed of Sound: 3. 75 Still too crowded, but a very good song underneath
Force of Nature: 4.75 Can't quite give it 5 but one of my favorites
The End 4.5

3.89 Of course I forget what I rated this last time. But Backspacer has always been the top of the middle tier for me (with Yield and S/T) and is probably still there.

The perfect gift for certain occasions

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:30 pm 
Coast to Coast

"The End" is still my favorite song in the album.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:31 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

Me too.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:01 pm 
On the bright side

Man, I love me some stip, but that recent ranking by him is just ridiculous.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:23 pm 
Force of Nature

GSMF = 3.5 - Great verses and bridge. Chorus...eh.
Got Some= 3.5 - Ed is NOT good when he just throws together some lyrics, which is what I imagine happened here. The music deserved better.
The Fixer= 2 - Not bad live and some interesting moments musically. I actually like the point Ed is trying to deliver, but the approach is AWFUL.
Johnny Guitar = 3.5 - Fun, but that's about it.
Just Breathe = 2- Top-40 vanilla.
Amongst The Waves = 4 - Esp live, I love this song. Mike's metal bridge is out of place, but I really like the lyrics and Stone's riff. Manchester II made me remember how much I like this one.
Unthought Known = 3 - The potential is there, but NOPE.
Supersonic = 1 - Fixer/Supersonic is the worst single EVER.
Speed Of Sound 1 - I cannot even appreciate the lyrics since the arrangement is so awful
Force Of nature = 4 - Vanilla music, but man does Ed sell this one.
The end = 3.5 - I blame Brendan, this is TOO dramatic. I can't take it seriously, even though I really, really want to love this song.

Overall= 2.8

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:12 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

GSF: 4.5 = great lyrics, great drumming, all in this song works....very the who type of song.
Got some: 4.5= fuckin great too...again matt shines here, and jeff work is amazing....how the guitars are used is new for pj and it works.
The Fixer: 3.5": i do like it. Yeah the lyrics are bad, and matt´s demo was more WWC than this but still its a pretty good song. Its catchy as hell and the bass and drums are great. It would be cool to see more guitars.
Johnny guitar: 4.5= it would have been a five if not for that fade. The guitars are amazing, there is enough groove here and ed voice is good.
ATW: 3.5 = its a good song, but the guitars are lacking something...they don´t have strenght. Great lyrics.
UK: 3.5= im burn out with this one...i like it a lot, great songs, great performance with the band.
SS: 2.5= its just a b side..its fun and the bridge is good, but its a b side.
SOS 4.5: Amazing!! the demo was another ed song, and they bring a whole different aspect of the song here. great lyrics, the end is just perfect.
FON: 4.5= i didnt quite liked it and now i see the goodness here...jeff shines again...the same with eddie.
The end 3.5= its nice, but i dont quite see it here...this is an eddie solo song and not a pearl jam song.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:14 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

VinylGuy wrote:
GSF: 4.5 = great lyrics, great drumming, all in this song works....very the who type of song.
Got some: 4.5= fuckin great too...again matt shines here, and jeff work is amazing....how the guitars are used is new for pj and it works.
The Fixer: 3.5": i do like it. Yeah the lyrics are bad, and matt´s demo was more WWC than this but still its a pretty good song. Its catchy as hell and the bass and drums are great. It would be cool to see more guitars.
Johnny guitar: 4.5= it would have been a five if not for that fade. The guitars are amazing, there is enough groove here and ed voice is good.
ATW: 3.5 = its a good song, but the guitars are lacking something...they don´t have strenght. Great lyrics.
UK: 3.5= im burn out with this one...i like it a lot, great songs, great performance with the band.
SS: 2.5= its just a b side..its fun and the bridge is good, but its a b side.
SOS 4.5: Amazing!! the demo was another ed song, and they bring a whole different aspect of the song here. great lyrics, the end is just perfect.
FON: 4.5= i didnt quite liked it and now i see the goodness here...jeff shines again...the same with eddie.
The end 3.5= its nice, but i dont quite see it here...this is an eddie solo song and not a pearl jam song.

Forgot about Just Breathe 3.5: its a nice song. great lyrics, and it works as a hit crossover song.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:59 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

KurtLeon wrote:
I feel a Backspacer resurgence on RM's heart.

I was right.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:06 pm 
Got Some

SOS appears to clearly be the most polarizing song on the album. I think it's one of the top 3 on the album for sure.
Even if the demo is better and the arrangement could have been a little better

GSMF - 3.25/5 - it's grown on me but just a straight forward rock song with questionable chorus. good drumming here

Got Some - 4/5 - theres a very strong song in there but missing "something". may be a production issue

The Fixer - 3.75/5 - honeslty, it's a fun song. Not what i would consider a Pearl jam song but it's fun

Johnny Guitar - 4.25/5 - most unique tune on the album. Taking chances and paying off even despite the unlikely PJ subject matter

Just Breathe - 3.5/5 - It's an Into the Wild Song. Actually I don't hate it but the strings are extreme overkill

ATW - 2.75/5 - There could have been a classic in the there but the song just sounds puny. Verses are fun though

UK - 4.25/5 - great tune. If this song was surrounded by more 4+ star songs we'd be on to something special

SS - 2/5 - it is what it is but a b-side at best. Makes Big wave sound very good

SOS - 4.5/5 - love the song. PJ finally playing an Ed song without sounding like an Ed song. Great Ed writing here

FON - 3.75/5 - still growing on me. Nice lyrics but the senitment comes off a little cheesy to me. PJ Light again

The End - 4.5/5 - classic Ed Song. Would have been fun to hear a full band arrangment of this but understand why not. Only complaint is that it is clearly just an Ed song

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:10 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Pj chat?! RM warms up to Backspacer? Ye gads.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:47 pm 
Got Some

Force of Nature is in my top 10 PJ songs.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:57 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Force of Nature is possibly the most widely underrated song PJ have written in the last ten years. I think it's among the best they've written in that time. Still never heard it live sadly.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:08 pm 
Global Moderator

the music in the second verse of FoN is really good, too. Especially with headphones. the kind of whiny guitar noise that starts the song probably gives a lot of people a bad first impression. It's a slow starter (I do really like the fuzzy plodding riff that runs through the rest of the first verse, though)

The perfect gift for certain occasions

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:13 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Good headphones work wonders for a good few songs on Backspacer. There's loads of cool stuff goin on in songs like FoN & even Supersonic.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:02 pm 
The Snowboy

dimejinky99 wrote:
Good headphones work wonders for a good few songs on Backspacer. There's loads of cool stuff goin on in songs like FoN & even Supersonic.

I agree. For me, Supersonic is easily the weakest song on the album but there's lots of headphone ear candy throughout.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3666 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam