Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam & Record Store Day
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:46 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I can't think of another industry I want to see banished from the face earth. It's actually fun to watch their slow painful death.

http://stackpapersgetpaid.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:04 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

spenno wrote:
My "lame" comment referred not only to record stores, but the whole 'limited edition'/collectible hysteria it creates - that's also just not something I really care for, just like I don't see the big deal about Pearl Jam posters and whatnot.

Yeah, that doesn't appeal to me at all either, at least not as a hobby for its own sake. I care about it to the extent that I care about the music, that's all. But I like the record store atmosphere. Most things I know I want--new releases, etc.--I usually order off the internet for convenience's sake, but I still usually end up leaving most record stores with a thing or two. Last month, for example, I was at my old college record store, and I picked up the Neil Young "Weld/Arc" set--not exactly a big find or anything, but the sort of thing I probably would have (and did) put off buying for years until I was actually holding it in my hand.

SuperNintendoChalmers wrote:
I can't think of another industry I want to see banished from the face earth.

Oh, come now, I'm sure that's not true. Surely there's some industry affiliated with the souping up of college students' automobiles that would be preferable to see go first?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:22 pm 
too drunk to moderate properly
 WWW  Profile

I can't think of another industry I want to see banished from the face earth. It's actually fun to watch their slow painful death.

Wow. That might be more over the top than your assertion that Ed is hooked on painkillers and booze. Did the local record shop clerk fuck your mom or something?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:07 pm 
Master of Meh

¡B! wrote:

Wow. That might be more over the top than your assertion that Ed is hooked on painkillers and booze. Did the local record shop clerk fuck your mom or something?

I'm pretty sure he was referring to the corporate side of the music industry, not record stores.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:29 pm 
 WWW  Profile

spenno wrote:
¡B! wrote:

I'm pretty sure he was referring to the corporate side of the music industry, not record stores.

Oh, well yeah ... they should die a slow, painful death.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:06 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

¡B! wrote:
spenno wrote:
¡B! wrote:
I can't think of another industry I want to see banished from the face of the earth. It's actually fun to watch their slow painful death.

Oh, well yeah ... they should die a slow, painful death.

Yeah, dude maybe posting from my phone late at night isn't a good idea. But yeah I meant the corporate record industry. The same people, like predatory banks, hook naive individuals to unsustainable deals, that most likely leave them into eyeball high debt and ruin lives. Those fucks need to be eradicated with utmost prejudice.

Some of your friends might already be this fucked.

And the pill thing was not an assertion. I just feel that an aging, some may say over the hill, rockstar with known appetites for booze and god knows what else might have hit a bump in the road and wants to be clear headed for a major, small theater solo outing. And I took the PR word of multi million dollar entity, with a grain of salt. God knows I don't want him to be hooked, its just not out of the realm of possibility when you consider the past.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:51 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Actually, that is an assertion! (take it from a disillusioned writing instructor)

Edit: And I don't mean that in a jerk-off, dickish kinda way. You've looked at all the available evidence (definitive, anecdotal, and conjecture) and compared it to similar situations that you've experienced or witnessed and wrapped it all up in a statement that is stronger than an opinion or a wild guess, but more like a forceful statement of belief.

"The real truth about it is: no one gets it right / The real truth about it is: we’re all supposed to try"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:58 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Thought it was an assumption. But hey, you would know.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:51 pm 
Force of Nature
 WWW  Profile

AndySlash wrote:
get em if you missed em. no word on ev yet.

Santos L. Halper wrote:

Both on Gremmie.net. LBC is great. Love the different approach to the first chorus.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:04 pm 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

EllisEamos wrote:
wait, who didn't know that a lot of these artists "probably have plenty of money already"??

is record store day about the stores? or the artists helping said stores generate business while also taking some coin of their own?

Dude, its two sentences into that article.
Quote:
RDS is bloated corporate fleecing of vinyl fans

stating something doesn't make it so, and those stats you put up aren't surprising.

I think Kevin Davis said it well (and that ellis was basically right):
Kevin Davis wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:
wait, who didn't know that a lot of these artists "probably have plenty of money already"?

There are definitely some big names on that list, but I doubt most of the artists participating in Record Store Day are as rich-beyond-their-wildest-dreams as the fine journalists at Chunklet seem to think. It's funny to me how the same people who are so open about the fact that the music business is in shambles always seem to be the same people who seem incapable of fathoming the dozens of incremental milestones between "starving artist" and "famous rock star who'll never have to worry about finances again."

I can't think of a single industry on the planet whose patrons are so childishly bitchy about its benefactors--from store owners to artists to label execs--reaping even the smallest financial rewards from their endeavors. I'm curious, after all the woe and melodrama that's been poured out over the issue, have we finally agreed upon an exact figure that an artist can make before we can reasonably assert that he or she has, as Chunklet says, "plenty of money already?"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:18 am 
 WWW  Profile

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:42 am 
Force of Nature
 WWW  Profile

¡B! wrote:

The first time I've thought a Pearl Jam cover was better than the original.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam