Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ed's voice
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:33 am 
Red Mosquito, my libido

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:16 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Harmless wrote:
I think we'd be lying if we all didn't admit that Ed's voice is still one of the best features of this band. For me, it used to be the voice and the drummer. That was a long time ago; Ed's pretty much kept me here.

On some songs on the last three albums I'd say Ed is by far the weak point.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:20 pm 
The Snowboy

tyler wrote:
Harmless wrote:
I think we'd be lying if we all didn't admit that Ed's voice is still one of the best features of this band. For me, it used to be the voice and the drummer. That was a long time ago; Ed's pretty much kept me here.

On some songs on the last three albums I'd say Ed is by far the weak point.

Sure, on some songs. Which doesn't really disprove my point, since more often it's one of the others.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:22 pm 
The Snowboy

Also, I'm talking about Ed's voice, not his songwriting, which sometimes sucks hard.

It all depends which songs you find disappointing, which may well be different to mine. Are you one of these fools who was let down by Ed on Riot Act?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:38 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Harmless wrote:
Also, I'm talking about Ed's voice, not his songwriting, which sometimes sucks hard.

It all depends which songs you find disappointing, which may well be different to mine. Are you one of these fools who was let down by Ed on Riot Act?

I think Ed was horrible on Bushleaguer. There's a handful of songs on Backspacer where I think Ed is truly awful. I honestly believe if you had someone listen to Just Breathe, not knowing it was Pearl Jam or Ed singing that they would say the vocals were horrible.

I can't htink of a single song on the last three albums where I feel he was the true star and stand out performer. That used to consistentaly be the case.

Last edited by tyler on Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:39 pm 
Global Moderator

I think the only two songs I can think of from the last three albums where Ed's voice really undermined a song for me are unemployable and supersonic (although I'm not sure I would have cared about supersonic no matter what). There are of course other times I think his voice could have been better, but that's not the same thing as detracting from a song.

The perfect gift for certain occasions

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:49 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

Got Some is one where the vocal on the song (as well as the melody, though I guess that's more of a songwriting thing) really held the song back.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:50 pm 
The Snowboy

I'm with Stip. I think most of the time, if anything was lacking it was the lyrics, and Ed made a song listenable when otherwise it would've been awful. Would we really have taken Comatose seriously if it had been sung by anyone else? I like all the songs you listed and I don't think Ed fails any of them. Let's be honest, he's pushing fifty. If you didn't expect some depreciation, your disappointment is probably that. The biggest problem I've had with a handful of songs since Riot Act was lyrics. The only issues I've had with Ed's voice, at all, is enunciation. His 'Yes I understand that every life must eeeeyaaaand, aw-huh' in Just breathe is pretty awful, even though I really like the song. And the vocals on Inside Job are pretty irritating for several reasons, but they don't stop me going back to it, the lyrics do. If I have any issues with PJ's current output it's very, very rarely Ed's voice. It's the fact that they seem to have forgotten how to write a consistently good song.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:00 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I realize it's an each their own thing. I think the last song Ed was great on in Pearl Jam was 'Man of the Hour'. He can sound real good still, see 'Can't Keep', 'All or None'. But there's nothing on the last album where I would say he was even really good.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:03 pm 
The Snowboy

If he doesn't make a song 'stand out' anymore, it's probably more to do with production than him. All the low end, the bass, seems to have disappeared from his voice over the last couple of albums. That's not anything he's done, I don't think. He sings that nice baritone in The End and he sounds *almost* like old Ed, except for the recording taking out the low end.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:16 pm 
Global Moderator

Harmless wrote:
If he doesn't make a song 'stand out' anymore, it's probably more to do with production than him. All the low end, the bass, seems to have disappeared from his voice over the last couple of albums. That's not anything he's done, I don't think. He sings that nice baritone in The End and he sounds *almost* like old Ed, except for the recording taking out the low end.

yeah the low end being absent from his voice is bizarre, since it is there live

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:17 pm 
Global Moderator

digster wrote:
Got Some is one where the vocal on the song (as well as the melody, though I guess that's more of a songwriting thing) really held the song back.

I still like Got Some, though. There are a few songs where vocals keep a song from reaching its full potential, but do the vocals in got some make you actively not enjoy the song?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:32 pm 
Supersonic

stip wrote:
Harmless wrote:

yeah the low end being absent from his voice is bizarre, since it is there live

Yeah, it's also there when he's just speaking and talking to the crowd. That's a low, low voice. And then you hear him sing something like "Hail, Hail" on Letterman and you're like wow, that's incredible range.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:42 pm 
The Snowboy

It would be nice if that range was displayed again in the next album, sonically.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:31 pm 
Supersonic

I find that the ever-growing number of warbles and hiccups in his singing really detract for me, which is unfortunate because they're so much more prevalent on the softer songs. I just don't like that type of affected singing.

His tone has dried up quite a bit over the last ten years, too...which is more about bad singing habits and smoking than it is about aging.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:54 pm 
Master of Meh

stip wrote:
I think the only two songs I can think of from the last three albums where Ed's voice really undermined a song for me are unemployable and supersonic

I love the double-tracked vocals on Unemployable, probably my favourite Ed vocal on the last two albums.

I agree with McP, it's those strange affections and mannerisms that irritate me more than anything else.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:03 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

spenno wrote:
I agree with McP, it's those strange affections and mannerisms that irritate me more than anything else.

yup

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:50 am 
Supersonic

He does need to tone that shit down. Agree.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:58 am 
Global Moderator

cutuphalfdead wrote:
spenno wrote:

yup

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:59 am 
Global Moderator

a few months back someone posted that some of that is related to how he does his breathing while singing. Did a singer ever weigh in on that?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam