Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1702 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 82, 83, 84, 85, 86  Next
 Post subject: Re: Riot Act
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:43 pm 
Unthought Known

Angus wrote:
Harmless wrote:
iceagecoming wrote:
Pearl Jam probably don't need 3 guitars on some songs, but there's certainly no harm in having them all playing live. Almost all of the 'two guitar' songs in the catalogue probably have at least 3 guitar tracks playing at some point at least.

The third guitar shouldn't be warranted only if it's playing something different - its inclusion should be justified if it lends a similar texture to a performance that one might expect on a studio track. A lot of this comes down to texture, so when you say 'Stone just plays Ed's part', that might be true, but usually it's on an acoustic, or phrased a little differently, or just letting some chords ring that Ed might be strumming. These are productive and worthwhile additions, though they might not seem interesting to the player.

The problem comes when the studio tracks have sparser moments, when certain guitar parts are markedly different to create a texture you really like. When they're all just hammering the same thing live, the song is kind of ruined. RVM is the best example of this; I've always wondered where the lovely arpeggios are. For me, the arpeggios (played by Mike I think) make the song, and they just hammer at the chords underneath when playing live. So yes, you get a wall of sounds, but it's not the multi-layered texture it was originally.

RVM is one of those songs where I never understood how some people can prefer it live over the studio version.

because everything from the jam to the outro is pure adrenaline.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:46 pm 
The Snowboy

bmacsmith wrote:
Angus wrote:
Harmless wrote:
iceagecoming wrote:
Pearl Jam probably don't need 3 guitars on some songs, but there's certainly no harm in having them all playing live. Almost all of the 'two guitar' songs in the catalogue probably have at least 3 guitar tracks playing at some point at least.

The third guitar shouldn't be warranted only if it's playing something different - its inclusion should be justified if it lends a similar texture to a performance that one might expect on a studio track. A lot of this comes down to texture, so when you say 'Stone just plays Ed's part', that might be true, but usually it's on an acoustic, or phrased a little differently, or just letting some chords ring that Ed might be strumming. These are productive and worthwhile additions, though they might not seem interesting to the player.

The problem comes when the studio tracks have sparser moments, when certain guitar parts are markedly different to create a texture you really like. When they're all just hammering the same thing live, the song is kind of ruined. RVM is the best example of this; I've always wondered where the lovely arpeggios are. For me, the arpeggios (played by Mike I think) make the song, and they just hammer at the chords underneath when playing live. So yes, you get a wall of sounds, but it's not the multi-layered texture it was originally.

RVM is one of those songs where I never understood how some people can prefer it live over the studio version.

because everything from the jam to the outro is pure adrenaline.

But everything prior to the jam is butchered. I agree, when I see the song live I think it gets good beginning at the jam, and becomes great at the outro.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:43 pm 
AnalLog

Harmless wrote:
Angus wrote:
Harmless wrote:
iceagecoming wrote:

Yup.

atl 94 is rvm at its finest

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:47 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

stip wrote:
the strobe lights at the end are cool though

Yes, don't get me wrong, RVM is also one of the songs they could play at any show I'm attending and I wouldn't complain one bit (although not if it excludes any other song ever closing the main set). It has its cool elements, but still, that studio version is so kick ass. When I put a mixtape together to go cycling or running, it's always on. Makes me go a bit faster. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:51 pm 
The Snowboy

warehouse wrote:
Harmless wrote:
Angus wrote:
Harmless wrote:
iceagecoming wrote:

Yup.

atl 94 is rvm at its finest

Link?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:55 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Harmless wrote:
iceagecoming wrote:

I'd agree about RVM, and that's a shame.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:56 pm 
AnalLog

i am in the "live" camp, though

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:06 pm 
The Snowboy

warehouse wrote:

i am in the "live" camp, though

I remember that now. Yeah, I enjoy it, particularly because it's Dave A. But it's still missing those secondary guitar parts I like so much. It's obviously an awesome song otherwise, but those are the icing on the cake.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:07 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

I think the three-guitar songs can sometimes seem a little sparse on the other guitars in part due to Ed's writing style (which is typically the only time we'd see a three-guitar setup besides covers). Ed tends to use a lot of open and barre chording in his music, both in the folkier and moodier pieces and in the more uptempo stuff. Obviously, there are big exceptions to this, but overall he strikes me as being more chord-based than riff-based. So, take Unthought Known for example; it's almost entirely in open chords (I believe), and Ed wails on those chords for all that they're worth. Or Man of the Hour; I wouldn't call it complex, but Ed's certainly filling the space. It sounds great, but it also takes up a lot of space in terms of things that the other guitarists can do that wouldn't clutter the song too much. That's why I think you tend to see Stone do something simple to tweak what Ed's playing and Mike mainly just do color and solos on that stuff. Ed's guitar parts do a lot of that heavy lifting already.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:10 pm 
The Snowboy

Yep, although 'heavy lifting' can be a good and a bad thing, especially if it takes away from the creativity of the others.

Personally I prefer heavy petting.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:29 pm 
Global Moderator

Angus wrote:
stip wrote:

Yes, don't get me wrong, RVM is also one of the songs they could play at any show I'm attending and I wouldn't complain one bit (although not if it excludes any other song ever closing the main set). It has its cool elements, but still, that studio version is so kick ass. When I put a mixtape together to go cycling or running, it's always on. Makes me go a bit faster. :)

i wasn't disagreeing with you. Actually I'll go even further. I tend to not even like the jam very much (I much prefer the porch one). But the outro is still awesome.

The perfect gift for certain occasions

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:07 pm 
The Snowboy

Actually yeah, thinking about it I'm not that bothered about the jam either. The one in the studio version is the perfect length. The live version jam, with the 15 minute drum solo, kills the momentum.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:57 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

stip wrote:
Angus wrote:
stip wrote:

i wasn't disagreeing with you. Actually I'll go even further. I tend to not even like the jam very much (I much prefer the porch one). But the outro is still awesome.

I know you didn't. I just wanted to add a little to my post. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:37 pm 
Got Some

Just listened to Riot Act for the first time in a long time. Probably the biggest slow-grower of any PJ album out there for me. Hated this album for years, but something about it (its age? my age?) just keeps getting better, and something about it just clicked this time around. Of course there are weak moments, but the great moments just slay you. There are a lot of hidden gems in this album, whether it be a random bassline, a vocal deep in the background, whatever. And something about "All Or None" just kills me.... love that song, and have always considered it very underrated.

It's a great album as a studio album... There's a somberness to it that just doesn't translate live when some of these songs are intermingled with Yield or Ten or S/T. The songs' atmospheres just don't translate live. Thumbing My Way for instance...... boring as shit live. But something about the studio album just strikes a nerve.... and i loathed this song for so long.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:13 am 
The Snowboy

bodysnatcher wrote:
Just listened to Riot Act for the first time in a long time. Probably the biggest slow-grower of any PJ album out there for me. Hated this album for years, but something about it (its age? my age?) just keeps getting better, and something about it just clicked this time around. Of course there are weak moments, but the great moments just slay you. There are a lot of hidden gems in this album, whether it be a random bassline, a vocal deep in the background, whatever. And something about "All Or None" just kills me.... love that song, and have always considered it very underrated.

It's a great album as a studio album... There's a somberness to it that just doesn't translate live when some of these songs are intermingled with Yield or Ten or S/T. The songs' atmospheres just don't translate live. Thumbing My Way for instance...... boring as shit live. But something about the studio album just strikes a nerve.... and i loathed this song for so long.

Welcome to the fold.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:59 am 
Johnny Guitar

I have a friend who I wanted to get into PJ. He is not a big ballad fans and is quoted "one at the end is acceptable" . So I burnt him a copy of riot act without slower songs and he really liked it.

TRACKLIST
LBC
Save You
Get Right
Cropduster
Ghost
I Am Mine
Green Disease
You Are
Undone
Bu$hleaguer
1/2 Full
All Or None

It's kind of punky and dark !!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:11 pm 
Banned from the Pit

A little less bad but still pretty bad

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:16 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

I never understood the love for Green Disease...
Guys.
The song is boring.
Get real.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:43 pm 
Unthought Known

you're boring!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:46 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

Your mama's boring, assface! >=(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1702 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 82, 83, 84, 85, 86  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam