Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: SOTM #97: Puzzles and Games (the Light Years Demo)
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:04 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

I know:) Odd that, I just went to check what Stip reckons but he Hasnt done a sotm for speed of sound yet. Thats a shame.

I love the splashy playful drummin on puzzles and games verses. Stark contrast to the almost dead beat in Light Years.
A finished polished version of puzzles and games would be great to have. It sounds like an unmastered rough mix as it is. Wonder will it pop up on the Binaural reissue?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:19 pm 
Unthought Known

dimejinky99 wrote:
I know:) Odd that, I just went to check what Stip reckons but he Hasnt done a sotm for speed of sound yet. Thats a shame.

I love the splashy playful drummin on puzzles and games verses. Stark contrast to the almost dead beat in Light Years.
A finished polished version of puzzles and games would be great to have. It sounds like an unmastered rough mix as it is. Wonder will it pop up on the Binaural reissue?

For the Binaural update, I think it would be really cool (never happen) if they did a vinyl of the original track list, and offer a full binaural mix for the cd or something like that.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:47 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Thats one record id like to see get a total make over. Just to have the option. Can the sound on this be made any bigger/richer/warmer? I wonder.

Binaural recording really works better on acoustic records and atmospheric tracks. Of the girl and Sleight of hand sound good, but the process robbed Grievance and Insignificance of their balls. Brave of them to try it but it didnt really work to its full potential for them overall.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:22 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

darth_vedder wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

For the Binaural update, I think it would be really cool (never happen) if they did a vinyl of the original track list, and offer a full binaural mix for the cd or something like that.

Binaural isn't a mixing process it's a recording technique.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:24 pm 
Unthought Known

cutuphalfdead wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

Ah, right. Didn't they record all of the songs using the binaural technique, then later change their minds? I can't remember all the details, but it seems like I remember something about how they weren't happy and made a lot of last minute changes to the album.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:25 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

darth_vedder wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

Ah, right. Didn't they record all of the songs using the binaural technique, then later change their minds? I can't remember all the details, but it seems like I remember something about how they weren't happy and made a lot of last minute changes to the album.

No. Only a few songs were recorded binaurally but Tchad Blake was mixing the whole thing. Then the band pussed out because they were afraid it wouldn't sound "pearl jam" enough so they brought Brendan O'Brien in to finish the mixing process.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:26 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

For a Binaural reissue I would fucking love them to give the master tapes back to Tchad and just have him mix the album however he sees fit.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:58 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

That wont happen. Blake was far less than complimentary in fact really scathing about Pj in interviews after the fact. He didnt appreciate them wussing out and ousting him.

We have an album made binaurally but a mixed traditionally. Its really a shame but I dont think had it gotten the full treatment it would have sounded any better.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:00 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

Binaural sounds really good as is, and I'm not sure if it would sound better if Tchad did it himself, but it might.

For a sample of what albums sound like that are recorded binaurally and then mixed by the a person with the same mindset that recorded them...listen to REM's Reckoning.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:35 am 
Master of Meh

cutuphalfdead wrote:
For a Binaural reissue I would fucking love them to give the master tapes back to Tchad and just have him mix the album however he sees fit.

Didn't Tchad already mix the whole thing already?

I thought the "original" tracklisting was the one the band devised with Tchad before they had second-thoughts and got Brendan in.

I'd love if they included the original Tchad version with a Binaural reissue.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:39 am 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Wonder how finished puzzles and games is? Is it Blakes mix or O Briens?

Doesnt sound mastered. But Itd be interesting to know how far along it is.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:04 am 
Red Mosquito, my libido

spenno wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

I don't know if he finished it or not before the band brought Brendan in. Either way, what we have isn't the full Tchad Blake mix.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:06 am 
Unthought Known

cutuphalfdead wrote:
spenno wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

I don't know if he finished it or not before the band brought Brendan in. Either way, what we have isn't the full Tchad Blake mix.

Tchad's favorite track was Fatal, so clearly he had some idea of what he was doing there.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:43 am 
Master of Meh

mick7184 wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
spenno wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

Tchad's favorite track was Fatal, so clearly he had some idea of what he was doing there.

Yup.

I've always been under the impression that the early tracklisting that included Sad, Fatal, In the Moonlight and closing with Education was Tchad's completed version and the version we know is the tracklisting the band devised with Brendan - I might be wrong, but that's been my understanding.

I really miss Gods' Dice from that early tracklisting, that's it's only downfall.

I don't think Tchad's anywhere near as bitter as you make out, dime. I've read some interviews/web chats with him when he's been asked about it, he seemed to indicate he was really proud of the work he and the band did on that record even if the end result wasn't quite what they originally had in mind.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:48 am 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Sounds like hes mellowed some. That's cool. He was extremely pissed at one point though.

Thanks for the random question link.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:54 am 
Master of Meh

dimejinky99 wrote:
Sounds like hes mellowed some. That's cool. He was extremely pissed at one point though.

These quotes are from 2007.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/q-tchad- ... l-jam.html

tchadb wrote:
I have mixed feelings about that record. I think it's a good record but in hindsight I don't think I was a great choice for the band. We didn't see eye to eye on many things sonically and we all got a bit frustrated in the making of the music but we persevered and managed to make it work. Brendon O'brien came on board to mix and helped make sense of it all.

tchadb wrote:
Recycled_Brains wrote:
that's interesting. i personally found the mixes that you did do on that record to be much more interesting and inventive than the others (not that brendan o'brien's work isn't also good), and a pleasant departure from the "pearl jam sound" i had come to expect based on the sonic consistency of some of their other recordings.

-ryan

Thank you. I like them too.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:13 pm 
Unthought Known

spenno wrote:
mick7184 wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
spenno wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

Yup.

I've always been under the impression that the early tracklisting that included Sad, Fatal, In the Moonlight and closing with Education was Tchad's completed version and the version we know is the tracklisting the band devised with Brendan - I might be wrong, but that's been my understanding.

I really miss Gods' Dice from that early tracklisting, that's it's only downfall.

I don't think Tchad's anywhere near as bitter as you make out, dime. I've read some interviews/web chats with him when he's been asked about it, he seemed to indicate he was really proud of the work he and the band did on that record even if the end result wasn't quite what they originally had in mind.

This is what I was saying I would love with a Binaural reissue. If PJ releases a vinyl of that, and maybe a full DVD of a Euro 2000 show (or a cool TB2k pt. 2 dvd), they'll get my $150 for the super mega for nerds only deluxe box set.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:01 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Wouldnt it be cool if they polled us with a list of potential stuff for inclusion in the boxset? Thatd be cool. Theyd definitely get a clearer idea of what to include.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:46 pm 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

dimejinky99 wrote:
Wouldnt it be cool if they polled us with a list of potential stuff for inclusion in the boxset? Thatd be cool. Theyd definitely get a clearer idea of what to include.

Pretty sure no matter how clear anyone made it to them they'd still find a way to screw it up. Then again even if they didn't there'd still be people bitching about something.

Frank RIP

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:07 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Sad but true.

Ideally there would be a whole range of stuff and you could personalise what you wanted in your boxset. Im sure Theres factories in the far east could do this:)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam