Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 705 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 36  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2012 bootlegs
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:36 am 
Force of Nature

The Hi-Res FLAC sounds really, REALLY good. Kudos, 10C.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:09 pm 
Force of Nature

The mix is great too. Best sounding boots ever? Discuss.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:34 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:40 pm 
Banned from the Pit

cutuphalfdead wrote:
If anyone is interested:

The y axis of the two spectrals is different because I have them zoomed out as much as Adobe Audition will allow for each file. It doesn't allow you to zoom out any further than where audio exists. Therefor (if my assumptions are correct), the regular FLACs don't have anything above 22kHz. While with the high resolution FLACs most of the audio exists up to 23kHz with some extremes going as high as 48kHz

And like I said before about the dB graphs, the regular FLACs are mastered slightly hotter. They're not bad by any means, but as you can see the high resolution FLACs are just a tad cleaner.

Regular FLAC:

High-res FLAC:

Regular FLAC:

High-res FLAC:

Very happy to see that, definitely production change the loudness policy with the audio (Vault #1 is absolutely insane and unaudible for me, and latest 2010, 2009 and 2008 bootlegs are hard with that)

I'm not sure if I can distinguish between FLAC or FLAC HD audio in terms of frequency, anyway the one that could now can use the super high definition file. It's a good advance

Regarding the price, I agree that they need decrease that policy, there are too many bootlegs in the last 12 years (that's ok for me) but you can sense that there are repeating a little bit. This EuroTour has been awesome, the mix is so great but the band had the same album from 2009. They don't have the same commercial effect except for his hard old fans. 10$ for each MP3 concert would be 120$ for hole Tour ... but anyway you know that if you wait you can acquire some "lost links" for those concerts for one friend, and you get it for free.

Good, my point of view is that the value of the bootlegs should be less than the cost of wait and seek for a free link. Maybe that cost should be 5$ and maybe would be really good if one fan buy one concert should have the right to download every bootleg of the tour for 30$-40$. In this range of price I prefer to download the bootleg in the same day that they put in the store, in the present range of price I prefer wait till I'm sure which is the best 2 bootlegs of the tour and the buy a physical CD from the Store. Majority of hard fans of PJ prefer physical piece vs digital one, majority of hard fans of PJ have soooo many bootlegs from PJ, majority of hard fans of PJ has consistent net of contacts that usually share any kind of bootlegs from the beginning of the band, even in 2000 and 2003 you could share digital material if you bought some bootlegs (I remember something like that)

Another idea is get a good discount for buying the poster of the concert that you have downloaded

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:23 am 
Former PJ Drummer

sico_pata wrote:
Another idea is get a good discount for buying the poster of the concert that you have downloaded

Do people really care for posters of shows they haven't attended? I would never want one.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:42 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

How´s the show besides all the mixing and stuff...?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:43 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

VinylGuy wrote:

Really good Immortality.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:00 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

cutuphalfdead wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

Really good Immortality.

cool.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:48 pm 
Banned from the Pit

Angus wrote:
sico_pata wrote:

Do people really care for posters of shows they haven't attended? I would never want one.

Just an idea, I prefer a discount, but obviously is not so easy a eat, so taken into account that many of the buyers are hard collectors, some of them would like acquire many of the posters, and I believe that many people likes a lot this kind of special posters (it doesn't have to be the same of the bootleg you purchase). Just an idea

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:03 pm 
Master of Meh

I think the price is very fair for something with such narrow appeal, especially when it seems they don't mind if people share/trade the shows.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:26 pm 
Johnny Guitar

:thumbsup:
I agree. I will admit that I used demenoid many times I have no problem buying now that I can not.
I bought the first three sets/tours of silvers they sold and still have them nicely stored.

:evil: Demenoid is done...... http://torrentfreak.com/demonoid-busted ... nt-120806/

spenno wrote:
I think the price is very fair for something with such narrow appeal, especially when it seems they don't mind if people share/trade the shows.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:16 am 
Supersonic

Mmmm, wasn't thinking about buying this, but now I am.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:26 am 
Mike's Maniac

THESE ARE THE BEST BOOTS THE BAND HAS EVER DONE AND PUT OUT> THEY WERE DONE IN EUROPE SO THEY ARE THE BEST EVER!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:59 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

That's more like it. :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:43 pm 
Got Some

KurtLeon wrote:

:)

8/22/98,9/11/05,8/21/09,9/15/11

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:59 am 
Got Some
 WWW  YIM  Profile

cutuphalfdead wrote:
I looked at the spectrals to compare the FLACs to the 24/96 FLACs and it looks like the higher resolution ones go up into higher frequencies than the normal ones. Not by much, but it's there. On the high resolutions it seems to hit a line around 23kHz with only the occasional peak going above that. Also, the regular FLACs are slightly louder than the high resolution ones. Release in high resolution pretty much doesn't clip at all while there is some on the regular FLACs.

Also, Arc was not left off the 2003 bootlegs due to technical difficulties. They were left off because they were tribute to those who died at Roskilde.

Dynamic compression has no effect (by itself) on frequencies represented by the recording. By definition, a 96 khz recording will reproduce a wider range of frequencies than a 44.1 khz (CD's) one...slightly less than half the frequency rate (44.1 khz sampling rate = sound up to 20 khz). 24-bit audio has (theoretically) 256 times the dynamic range (or, possible steps between the quietest and loudest sound) of a 16-bit (again, CD's) recording, so this is where the "uncompressed" claim is important. Brickwalling a 24-bit recording is just moronic because you could just convert to 16-bit after you're done and lose nothing except file size. However, SOME compression is necessary and desirable for play back, because even if your speakers could reproduce the whole 24 bits of dynamic range, you wouldn't want them to...you'd get sounds ranging from 0 dB (at least 20 dB below the quietest ambient sound; playback hiss not included) to 144 dB (5 dB louder than the loudest concert in history, 14 dB above the threshold of pain). Or if you accounted for ambient noise and background hiss, let's say 30 dB to an incomprehensible 174 dB (louder than a rocket or a .30 caliber rifle).

As far as Arc, the email I received from Tenclub at the time stated otherwise, and I have not seen an official source state the claim that you make here (and I have seen elsewhere), that they were left off "on purpose" "in tribute". That's just baseless speculation from what I can tell. And it doesn't change the fact that they handed out postcards at all 3 shows I attended advertising the "full, unedited recording" available on bootleg. As I was in attendance for 2 out 9 Arc's, I was particularly peeved about this, possibly more pissed about this than anything else Pearl Jam/Tenclub has ever done (though PJ20 ticketing comes close).

Me on Google+
Campaign For Liberty
Ludwig Von Mises Institute
antiwar.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:54 am 
Coast to Coast

twoheadedboy wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
I looked at the spectrals to compare the FLACs to the 24/96 FLACs and it looks like the higher resolution ones go up into higher frequencies than the normal ones. Not by much, but it's there. On the high resolutions it seems to hit a line around 23kHz with only the occasional peak going above that. Also, the regular FLACs are slightly louder than the high resolution ones. Release in high resolution pretty much doesn't clip at all while there is some on the regular FLACs.

Also, Arc was not left off the 2003 bootlegs due to technical difficulties. They were left off because they were tribute to those who died at Roskilde.

Dynamic compression has no effect (by itself) on frequencies represented by the recording. By definition, a 96 khz recording will reproduce a wider range of frequencies than a 44.1 khz (CD's) one...slightly less than half the frequency rate (44.1 khz sampling rate = sound up to 20 khz). 24-bit audio has (theoretically) 256 times the dynamic range (or, possible steps between the quietest and loudest sound) of a 16-bit (again, CD's) recording, so this is where the "uncompressed" claim is important. Brickwalling a 24-bit recording is just moronic because you could just convert to 16-bit after you're done and lose nothing except file size. However, SOME compression is necessary and desirable for play back, because even if your speakers could reproduce the whole 24 bits of dynamic range, you wouldn't want them to...you'd get sounds ranging from 0 dB (at least 20 dB below the quietest ambient sound; playback hiss not included) to 144 dB (5 dB louder than the loudest concert in history, 14 dB above the threshold of pain). Or if you accounted for ambient noise and background hiss, let's say 30 dB to an incomprehensible 174 dB (louder than a rocket or a .30 caliber rifle).

As far as Arc, the email I received from Tenclub at the time stated otherwise, and I have not seen an official source state the claim that you make here (and I have seen elsewhere), that they were left off "on purpose" "in tribute". That's just baseless speculation from what I can tell. And it doesn't change the fact that they handed out postcards at all 3 shows I attended advertising the "full, unedited recording" available on bootleg. As I was in attendance for 2 out 9 Arc's, I was particularly peeved about this, possibly more pissed about this than anything else Pearl Jam/Tenclub has ever done (though PJ20 ticketing comes close).

You sure love your parentheticals (I do too).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:44 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

twoheadedboy wrote:
As far as Arc, the email I received from Tenclub at the time stated otherwise, and I have not seen an official source state the claim that you make here (and I have seen elsewhere), that they were left off "on purpose" "in tribute". That's just baseless speculation from what I can tell.

Well, it's definitely not baseless. That's been my understanding of the issue ever since 2003, and there are certainly no shortage of places on the internet that support it. I mean, the Ten Club wouldn't bullshit you or anything, right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7/11/03_%E ... sachusetts
http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=172142
http://fivevs1.wordpress.com/2007/09/10/arc/

Honest question, though--you seem to know a lot about recording, can you come up with what "technical limitation" would have prevented "Arc" from being recorded? Maybe I'm just a simpleton, but it seems like if you could record the rest of the show, you could record this. Or did they just happen to have technical errors every single night right at the time this song was being played? It just sounds like a fishy explanation to me. (Not that they'd have any reason to hide leaving it off in tribute--but I've long ceased to be surprised by the Ten Club doing silly things that make no sense to me.)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:57 pm 
Master of Meh

From the 10C Rumor Pit, July 27, 2003:

Q: Why has Arc been left off the bootlegs?
A: Don't want it on there.

http://web.archive.org/web/200806060427 ... pit55.html

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:45 pm 
Master of Meh

Manchester 2 boot is up now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 705 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 36  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam