Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 705 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2012 bootlegs
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:53 am 
Master of Meh

spenno wrote:
I do think Ed has a great voice but, whether due to natural deterioration/harm as a result of smoking excessively/a mixture of both, he doesn't sound good singing loud rock music anymore. He is much more comfortable vocally at his solo shows, but I wager he would sound even better at those had his voice not suffered so much wear.

Few people complain about his voice when present at Pearl Jam shows, but I wonder how much of that is attributable to a) volume and reverberation in the venue filling out his voice and b) people hearing what they want to hear, ie: mentally filling in the blanks (unintentionally).

The bootlegs aren't misleading, they're more accurate. People's senses are faulty and subject to all kinds of preconceptions and biases, the bootlegs are entirely neutral.

dimejinky99 wrote:
I thought were all agreed the bootlegs are a neutered version of the event. Musically and vocally. He's still got a huge voice which I hope is in a transitional period into a dark whiskey 3am Tom waits vibe. I dunno if that's what he's aiming for bit I do agree that he should play to his strengths and that, he hasn't been doing with pj either in the studio or live. Solo, he sounds incredible.

A "neutered version" of the event, sure, but not the performance.

The people in the room are not (for the most part) processing the music more accurately than those listening to the recording. The recording doesn't lie; it doesn't represent anything other than exactly what was peformed on the night.

A show that seemed amazing in person and disappointing on recording isn't evidence that the bootlegs are flawed; instead, it suggests that your original perception was coloured (by any number or factors) and inaccurate. Ears lie, recordings (when done well) don't.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:02 am 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

I disagree. A re ording even done well can lose everything.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:22 am 
Global Moderator

spenno wrote:
stip wrote:
Eddie's voice fills a live space with this incredible intimate warmth and depth that's really hard to match.

well look, nothing is going to make that Animal any good

The perfect gift for certain occasions

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:25 am 
Former PJ Drummer

stip wrote:
spenno wrote:
stip wrote:
Eddie's voice fills a live space with this incredible intimate warmth and depth that's really hard to match.

Spenno found a great example of why Pearl Jam is the worst band in the world and have completely humiliated themselves in greater fashion than any artists before them. Let him have his moment?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:28 am 
Global Moderator

I'm removing PJ boots from my computer as we speak

The perfect gift for certain occasions

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:31 am 
Former PJ Drummer

Man, thats a great version of Sonic Reducer from amsterdam!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:36 am 
Master of Meh

62strat wrote:
stip wrote:
spenno wrote:
stip wrote:

Spenno found a great example of why Pearl Jam is the worst band in the world and have completely humiliated themselves in greater fashion than any artists before them. Let him have his moment?

I hate Pearl Jam so much!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:42 am 
Former PJ Drummer

spenno wrote:
62strat wrote:
stip wrote:
spenno wrote:
stip wrote:

I hate Pearl Jam so much!

Well, you kind of do hate pearl jam circa (2002/1997 + 1996 + 2006/3 )

That formula might check out...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:48 am 
Master of Meh

Needless to say, I don't follow.

Last edited by spenno on Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:50 am 
Former PJ Drummer

Jack irons

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:55 am 
Coast to Coast

When McParadigm gets drunk, he writes these beautiful, emotional soliloquies about music, love and life-- sometimes a little hokey, sometimes a little rambling, but always eloquent and fun to read.

When 62strat gets drunk, he just gets incoherent.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:58 am 
Former PJ Drummer

Whatever! Put your pen to paper, bust out your Hp12c and crunch the numbers. That shit is legit, Bro.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:19 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

is MIA going to be released??

kinda need to get that sour taste out of my ears Atlanta left me.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:46 am 
Master of Meh

dimejinky99 wrote:

Lose everything?

Beyond technical considerations that would impair the accuracy of the recording, the only things that I can imagine not translating are things outside of the actual music being created by the musicians on-stage. Every note, every rhythm, every scrape of pick on strings is faithfully recorded and able to be revisited outside of the concert venue.

Will a recording capture the feeling of being part of the crowd and witnessing Ed's sweat-glistened visage staring back at you while he sings Black? No, but those things aren't part of the music itself.

The concept of recorded music, recording a performance and allowing it to be played back at will, acknowledges that musical performance can be appreciated on its own terms divorced of the other influences that come into play when experiencing a performance in person.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:47 am 
Former PJ Drummer

spenno wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

Lose everything?

Beyond technical considerations that would impair the accuracy of the recording, the only things that I can imagine not translating are things outside of the actual music being created by the musicians on-stage. Every note, every rhythm, every scrape of pick on strings is faithfully recorded and able to be revisited outside of the concert venue.

Will a recording capture the feeling of being part of the crowd and witnessing Ed's sweat-glistened visage staring back at you while he sings Black? No, but those things aren't part of the music itself.

The concept of recorded music, recording a performance and allowing it to be played back at will, acknowledges that musical performance can be appreciated on its own terms divorced of the other influences that come into play when experiencing a performance in person.

there is no room for romanticism in your life, eh?

C'mon, you have to give some credit to it when it comes to music and art....otherwise whats the point?

(im not arguing that ed's voice isn't deteriorated from his golden years with jack irons)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:50 am 
Master of Meh

62strat wrote:
spenno wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

Lose everything?

there is no room for romanticism in your life, eh?

C'mon, you have to give some credit to it when it comes to music and art....otherwise whats the point?

(im not arguing that ed's voice isn't deteriorated from his golden years with jack irons)

Romanticism in what sense, strat?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:54 am 
Former PJ Drummer

This conversation aside it just seems as though nothing tickles your fancy unless its technically sound. and technically does not refer specifically to music.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:58 am 
Master of Meh

62strat wrote:
This conversation aside it just seems as though nothing tickles your fancy unless its technically sound. and technically does not refer specifically to music.

I don't begin to understand what you're getting at here.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:00 am 
Former PJ Drummer

Exactly....

Now shut up and kiss me.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:01 am 
Master of Meh

Pucker up, buttercup.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 705 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam