Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post subject: Re: physical cd or download?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:33 am 
The Snowboy

johnfrum wrote:
Harmless wrote:
johnfrum wrote:
Harmless wrote:
I'm grudgingly going to have to admit that most of my listening is done on my laptop with headphones. So downloads or streams are simply practical.

Although I do prefer the pleasure of having lots of friends listening to a CD on a stereo, that kind of communal listening experience is sadly a thing of the past I think. No one I know wants, or has the time to, sit in a room playing an album through.

and thats sad! i think.

they are albums out there, they have to be listen in full-length, for example kyuss (sky valley, circus) or slayers 'reign in blood' - cult of luna 'eternal kingdom' - metallica 'master of puppets' i don't skip any song on those albums and i hate it to hear only one song!

'Eternal Kingdom' is amazing.

one of the best albums in the 00's - you got the live album/live dvd "were fire was born" - killer!!!

Nope, will get it eventually.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:41 am 
Banned from the Pit

Harmless wrote:
johnfrum wrote:
Harmless wrote:
johnfrum wrote:
Harmless wrote:
I'm grudgingly going to have to admit that most of my listening is done on my laptop with headphones. So downloads or streams are simply practical.

Although I do prefer the pleasure of having lots of friends listening to a CD on a stereo, that kind of communal listening experience is sadly a thing of the past I think. No one I know wants, or has the time to, sit in a room playing an album through.

and thats sad! i think.

they are albums out there, they have to be listen in full-length, for example kyuss (sky valley, circus) or slayers 'reign in blood' - cult of luna 'eternal kingdom' - metallica 'master of puppets' i don't skip any song on those albums and i hate it to hear only one song!

'Eternal Kingdom' is amazing.

one of the best albums in the 00's - you got the live album/live dvd "were fire was born" - killer!!!

Nope, will get it eventually.

you won't be disappointed!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:56 pm 
Coast to Coast

I listen to my digital copies of physical CDs I've purchased, mostly.

When I want to show my friend a great album or this new band I've discovered, I usually hand them the physical CD. Most of them are amused by that. I think they find it quaint.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:06 am 
Got Some
 YIM  Profile

always physical cd. i dont want crumby versions on my computer that are going to die when my computer dies. i have a wall of cds and like collecting them very much, so i do the same thing with my pearl jam shows. :luv:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:52 am 
Master of Meh

I pretty much find any physical media annoying and inconvenient these days.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:30 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Harmless wrote:
No one I know wants, or has the time to, sit in a room playing an album through.

Wait, I'm confused--does it take longer to listen to an album on a stereo than on headphones?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:33 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  YIM  Profile

CD.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them" -Karl Popper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:38 pm 
The Snowboy

Kevin Davis wrote:
Harmless wrote:
No one I know wants, or has the time to, sit in a room playing an album through.

Wait, I'm confused--does it take longer to listen to an album on a stereo than on headphones?

No, but it's easy to sit on your own and listen to an album you like. Less easy to get a group of friends to sit down and listen to something. Especially when you have family / friends with completely different music tastes. Music tends to be a primarily private experience now, that's all I'm saying. Not sure why that's a revolutionary idea. Or maybe it is for you, which I envy. No one I know has the time to sit down in a room and listen to my favourite albums. So I sit and listen to them on my headphones while I'm working. And when I go clubbing with friends, or whatever, no one gives a shit what music was played except for me. It is what it is.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:51 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Oh, I see. I misread your point.

I don't think I've had that communal, "everybody gather 'round the stereo and let's all listen together" experience since probably freshman or sophomore year in high school. I feel like doing that now would feel kind of awkward. But I relate to your point. Whenever I'm out with friends, I'm usually making some comment on the music, which no one else seems to be noticing. "Oh, I don't even notice it, I just drown it out," they say. I don't have those kinds of powers.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:39 pm 
The Snowboy

Kevin Davis wrote:
Oh, I see. I misread your point.

I don't think I've had that communal, "everybody gather 'round the stereo and let's all listen together" experience since probably freshman or sophomore year in high school. I feel like doing that now would feel kind of awkward. But I relate to your point. Whenever I'm out with friends, I'm usually making some comment on the music, which no one else seems to be noticing. "Oh, I don't even notice it, I just drown it out," they say. I don't have those kinds of powers.

Yeah. I mean, me and my friends were clubbing a while back and afterwards I said "The music was as fun as usual, but the DJ was shit -- like a 70's pub DJ." Afterwards I found out that one of our group had made exactly the same comment, and I smiled because I don't usually get that. I take your point that sitting round a CD player might be a bit awkward now, but my feeling is that I wouldn't find it awkward but I'd be worrying that everyone else had something better to do. I just think that it's not such a culturally acceptable thing to do anymore. It's considered a bit odd in today's day and age. I would think that it was purely a matter of aging -- I'm 30 and not in school anymore -- but when I think of what kids are doing now, I don't think it's sitting round a cd player either. The most communal it gets is the annoying idiot who plays R&B or Grime on his phone out loud on the bus. I also have a few friends who just don't understand music being a huge part of your life, so I've just adjusted to that. These days I'm more into poetry than music. I read books like I used to listen to albums, and I have a lot of people I speak to and share stuff with about writing. But I do miss having that for music.

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam