Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post subject: Re: Ed Plays $20K/Seat Obama Fundraiser in Tampa
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:36 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Hatfield wrote:
transcript or is that asking too much?

Ed talks for about 4 and a half minutes, so sorry. But...

He basically talks about his experience as a 19 year old getting a job as a night shift security guard. The only way he was able to get the job was through a government training program that got him the proper skills/clearance. Talks about how it was that job that allowed him to then pay for guitars and tape recorders and stuff to help his floundering music career until he "moved to Seattle." Because he got the training, he got that job, which was 3 or 4 dollars above minimum wage.

Goes on to talk about the people who were in the security training class with him and how they all didn't just "need" a job, but really "wanted" to work. For Mitt Romney to call people like that out as moochers is especially hard to take. Then he introduces Obama and Obama thanks him for the music but more importantly the story.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:03 pm 
Got Some

dimejinky99 wrote:
Fuck this shit man, I didn't start this thread!

Wtf??

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:05 am 
Unthought Known

evenslow wrote:
Then he introduces Obama and Obama thanks him for the music but more importantly the story.

Obama went on to say "Uhh... this guy... Eddie... is uhh... proof, proof that with the right system, the right teachers, the right government in place, midget-americans can achieve their dreams just like normal sized people."

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:33 am 
The Snowboy

From my point of view, this news was a breath of fresh air. If Ed is going to play these concerts for ridiculous amounts of money, I'd rather they were political rallies for Obama. That's fine to me, a good thing.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:18 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

it seems he raised 1.7 millon dollars for Obama.
Now that´s a number for 4 ukelele songs....

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:40 am 
AnalLog

he should have brought jay z w/ him and did "big pimpin" acoustic.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:53 pm 
Banned from the Pit

Dear Ed,

I was so moved by your speech I felt the need to write this. I am an adult in school trying to start a new career because my current one is not working out. Needless to say, I live paycheck to paycheck and sometimes have to decide on feeding myself or putting gas in my car. I'm borrowing a ton of money from the government that will surely accumulate much interest on it by the time I'm able to pay it back. So, I noticed that you seem to have a surplus of cash laying around and since your so into the wealthy giving to those who don't have, I was thinking that you may be able to pay for my schooling and throw me a few bucks to put gas in my car so I can get to school. Or the very least you could do is maybe give me the money back that I've spent on you and your band over the last fifteen years. This way, you can actually write true songs about "bad" rich people and you wouldn't look like such a hypocrite while your playing music for folks worth millions.

P.S. You fit in much better wearing a suit than a mohawk. So, please don't ever act like your a punk musician again.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:29 am 
Cameron's Stallion

gjh wrote:
Dear Ed,

I was so moved by your speech I felt the need to write this. I am an adult in school trying to start a new career because my current one is not working out. Needless to say, I live paycheck to paycheck and sometimes have to decide on feeding myself or putting gas in my car. I'm borrowing a ton of money from the government that will surely accumulate much interest on it by the time I'm able to pay it back. So, I noticed that you seem to have a surplus of cash laying around and since your so into the wealthy giving to those who don't have, I was thinking that you may be able to pay for my schooling and throw me a few bucks to put gas in my car so I can get to school. Or the very least you could do is maybe give me the money back that I've spent on you and your band over the last fifteen years. This way, you can actually write true songs about "bad" rich people and you wouldn't look like such a hypocrite while your playing music for folks worth millions.

P.S. You fit in much better wearing a suit than a mohawk. So, please don't ever act like your a punk musician again.

:nice:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:31 am 
Supersonic

Dear gjh:

I was stunned, both intellectually and emotionally, by your heartfelt missive. I notice that you are into taking people's messages to hard extremes to try and make a point. I was, on an unrelated note, thinking that as you are so powerfully proud and determined in your attempts to get a full education, you could do like some of us did and work nights and full time while taking extra and summer courses so that you don't have to borrow so much money or invest so much time making silly posts on message boards. That way, you could actually write about the fallacy of Pearl Jam's notably dissonant actions and words without sounding like a comment on a news article linked from Drudge Report.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:11 am 
Banned from the Pit

McParadigm wrote:
Dear gjh:

I was stunned, both intellectually and emotionally, by your heartfelt missive. I notice that you are into taking people's messages to hard extremes to try and make a point. I was, on an unrelated note, thinking that as you are so powerfully proud and determined in your attempts to get a full education, you could do like some of us did and work nights and full time while taking extra and summer courses so that you don't have to borrow so much money or invest so much time making silly posts on message boards. That way, you could actually write about the fallacy of Pearl Jam's notably dissonant actions and words without sounding like a comment on a news article linked from Drudge Report.

:haha: Good suggestions on making my life easier without borrowing money but I already work more than full time and occasionally on the weekends and surprisingly it does not provide enough money to pay for an American college education. I was simply stating that Mr. Vedder should put his money where his mouth is. And yes, I do take messages literally when someone says the same thing for years as he has. But I do understand your need to protect an individual who you feel is worthy of it, as I used to incessantly before I saw through his hypocrisy.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:19 am 
Supersonic

Eddie Vedder is a national treasure and as such should be properly placed within a creaseless sheet protector (preferably within the first three pages of a flannel-decorated 3 inch binder) and subsequently entombed.

I, personally, am doing my part towards making his music timeless by opting not to listen to any of it at this time. The effort is ongoing, and has had the bonus effects of both making me totally unaware of the quality of his post-2003 live efforts and making it easier to appreciate his Don Henley years by only hearing each new song the same number of times as there are eggs in a $10 omelet.

I also am only accepting, for interpretative reasons, 1996-2006 era photographs for visual representation. I used to limit myself to images taken prior to the end of the Binaural era, but I really appreciate the "see how rockstar this guy looks" effect of putting him next to blurry hands, angry short-hairs, and Fred Gwynne.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:25 am 
Unthought Known

This thread got all bootstrappy.

And I like Drudge. Not for his opinions or twisted misreading of headlines, but other than total fark, that website is the best way to get breaking news.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:18 pm 
alot of $$$

gjh wrote:
Dear Ed,

P.S. You fit in much better wearing a suit than a mohawk. So, please don't ever act like *your a punk musician again.

*you're

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:37 pm 
Supersonic

I like Drudge, too. It's on my daily visit list. Come for the news, stay for the

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam