Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam vs. Foo Fighters
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:56 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

He also said this afterwards

”Without making a big deal out of it, we don’t have any shows after this… honestly, I don’t know when we’re gonna do it again.”

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:59 pm 
Coast to Coast

dimejinky99 wrote:
He also said this afterwards

”Without making a big deal out of it, we don’t have any shows after this… honestly, I don’t know when we’re gonna do it again.”

Reminds me of Ed's comments during/after the 2000 tour.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:11 pm 
Coast to Coast

VinylGuy wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
Comparing the Foo Fighters to Nickelback or Creed on any level beyond "rock music that gets played on the radio" seems completely inapt to me--the Foos incorporate so many more influences, so many more sensibilities. Not so much lately, perhaps, but there's a broad range of styles and a traceable growth on their first three records, considerably more so than I suspect you get from a traipse through Creed's discography (though, having only ever heard their singles, I suppose I could be underestimating them).

Great Post here...they are way better than those bands because od those influences, their sensiblities and just because of their songs. They have try and succeed to go way further than those bands. The same with PJ. For me its not the same kind of music at all.

Yeah, and there's a hundred shades of nuance in Pearl Jam's music that are completely absent from Creed and Nickelback. I'm with you. But, again, when you boil it down to its essentials, it's all mostly brawny, angular hook-laden rock music with pop inclinations. What I'm trying to get across is that saying the Foo Fighters play "the same kind of music" as Nickelback isn't really a valid criticism, because playing the "same kind of music" doesn't mean it's the same quality in craftsmanship and execution. For the most part, The Turtles and The Beatles played "the same kind of music"... but I think it's clear which one was the superior band.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:33 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

theplatypus wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
Comparing the Foo Fighters to Nickelback or Creed on any level beyond "rock music that gets played on the radio" seems completely inapt to me--the Foos incorporate so many more influences, so many more sensibilities. Not so much lately, perhaps, but there's a broad range of styles and a traceable growth on their first three records, considerably more so than I suspect you get from a traipse through Creed's discography (though, having only ever heard their singles, I suppose I could be underestimating them).

Great Post here...they are way better than those bands because od those influences, their sensiblities and just because of their songs. They have try and succeed to go way further than those bands. The same with PJ. For me its not the same kind of music at all.

Yeah, and there's a hundred shades of nuance in Pearl Jam's music that are completely absent from Creed and Nickelback. I'm with you. But, again, when you boil it down to its essentials, it's all mostly brawny, angular hook-laden rock music with pop inclinations. What I'm trying to get across is that saying the Foo Fighters play "the same kind of music" as Nickelback isn't really a valid criticism, because playing the "same kind of music" doesn't mean it's the same quality in craftsmanship and execution. For the most part, The Turtles and The Beatles played "the same kind of music"... but I think it's clear which one was the superior band.

Yeah...that`s what i was saying too. I don`t really know what the same kind of music means really...i guess its this need to put labels to everything...i can put PJ and the foos togheter in some kind of label,,,the influences are similar, they came kinda the same musical "movement" ...but i cant even put creed and nickelback there...and musically...nop.
So even if understand what you mean and some people here said about the same kind of music...its not that clear to me.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:10 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I was meaning to support your post, Jorge, not refute it. I say the same thing about John Coltrane and Kenny G all the time. The inner workings of it are a lot different, but at base it's easy to understand why people are always saying that "all jazz sounds the same."

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:32 pm 
statistically insignificant

Kevin Davis wrote:
...it's easy to understand why people are always saying that "all jazz sounds the same."

what cretins say this

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:07 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

The most cretinous kind of cretins. See also: "all rap sounds the same."

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:25 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

All bad European dance music sounds exactly the same. Fact.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:06 am 
Force of Nature

VinylGuy wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
via Global Festival twitter:
Quote:
David Grohl says #GlobalCitizen Festival will be the last @foofighters show for an indefinite period. RT if you think it was epic

This seems like the right choise for them after such a world tour. They really did a great job promoting Wasting Light.

Totally. I can't really see them sitting idle for more than say 3 years though but it might possibly be longer considering how hard they worked this release. I imagine another TCV album would be appearing sometime in the next 12 months or so too.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:20 am 
Got Some

This is another smart pr move. An announced hiatus allows a band to announce a triumphant return after only 3 or 4 years, and with another steady album, fans will be ready and excited to plunk down cash to see them again. If the album has a couple solid radio songs, and you know it will, another generation of high schoolers will count the foos as their first rock show.

Pearl Jam, meanwhile, has essentially already been on hiatus since 2010, getting together just long enough each successive year to have never really gone away. And since they've just been faffing about for years, instead of us anticipating the end of an announced hiatus, we're left wondering if they even like playing together anymore.

If it was a party, it's sort of like the Foos were smart enough to say they were tired and going to bed while Pearl Jam passed out and shit themselves in the kitchen.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:26 am 
Unthought Known

thodoks wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
...it's easy to understand why people are always saying that "all jazz sounds the same."

what cretins say this

just picked up Hank Mobley's blue note 50s recording on Mosaic today..found it dirt cheap today in San Fran...Only posting it here because you would enjoy it and I'm sure Kevin D knows all about it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:35 am 
Unthought Known

Pretty bummed there was no claymation video in the OP.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:25 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Hank Mobley makes me want to party. I'm going to listen to Miles Davis at the Blackhawk later.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:34 am 
statistically insignificant

this thread is finally worth reading

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:37 am 
Spacegirl

why isn't this a poll yet

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:41 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Kevin Davis wrote:
Hank Mobley makes me want to party. I'm going to listen to Miles Davis at the Blackhawk later.

This is happening right now.

Miles never spoke highly of his short partnership with Mobley but these albums are tremendous--a swan song of sorts, a last stand, before he would begin to assemble his second great quintet and gradually shed the conventional groundings of bebop and cool jazz altogether...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:02 pm 
Force of Nature
 WWW  Profile

ajurlacher1 wrote:
To compare Creed to the Foos is not "offensive," I just happen to think that they are a far better band. And here's why;

-Lyrical content (not that Grohl is the best, but c'mon, his words are better than Scott Stapp's) at least his lyrics have a narrative
-Song organization/composition intro riff/verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/solo/chorus. Grohl is a genius
-Lead singer is less of a douche About equal
-Lead singer doesn't exclusively use the Vedder vibrato on every single fucking song Because he can't
-The band is more talented, instrument by instrument the Foos have a better guitarist than Mark Tremonti? Since when? And Stapp is a better singer. Check out his solo album - K. Coffin from Orlando said in his 5 star Amazon review that: "The first solo release by Scott Stapp is a terrific CD! His writing has only gotten better over the years. The songs here are diverse, uplifting, and heart-felt. There is certainly at least one song on this CD that everyone can identify with and relate to - at LEAST one." And he uses his real name for reviews so you know he is speaking the truth
-Dave Grohl has deep seeded rock roots that stretch from everything from straight punk, to Nirvana, to Tom Petty, to Queens of the Stone Age. Say what you will, dude is a diverse, talented musician. That first Foo album is 100% Dave Grohl. I don't care who you are, you at least have to respect the mans ability. The same cannot be said for any member of Creed He is a good drummer
-They take their music videos far less serious Because their songs don't mean anything
-They played on the same tour as Mike Watt. Awesome Some dude I'm supposed to like because Ed played with him. Are the Minutemen really on high rotation on your iPod?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:17 pm 
Banned from the Pit

inglishteecher wrote:
having read every post in here, it seems like the foos and grohl in particular are getting criticized for three things over and over: their music is formulaic, too accessible, and dave's lyrics are meaningless.

i get the first point, but one of the things i really like about them is that no matter what setlist they play, the songs fit together well. i've seen them twice on the wasting like tour. i love that songs like generator, i'll stick around, and hey, johnny park get played right alongside arlandria, dear rosemary, and walk, and they actually complement each other. don't get me wrong, pearl jam is my first and biggest musical love, but you know the same can rarely be said for their sets. we are always analyzing their sets around here, and i would say the main issue diehard fans bring up is the flow of the setlists.

i don't understand the criticism about being too accessible. it's fucking arrogant. just because the majority can grasp and enjoy something doesn't make it shit. the foos don't tap into the christian rock audience that creed milked, nor do they tap into the drink, fuck, and fight crowd that nickelback has courted for a decade. the foos are accessible to pretty much everyone who enjoys a good meat and potatoes rock song. i have taught high school for 13 years. during that time, i've seen the foos multiple times. there are always large numbers of kids jealous of that. when i tell them about pearl jam, some of them mention their dad. sleight of hand is my favorite binaural song; in fact, it's probably my favorite pj song of the last decade, but no one i've played it for has been blown away or even remotely intrigued by it. is that because they're too dumb to get it or do they just not appreciate "honest, challenging music"?

and to the third point, how are dave's lyrics meaningless? he's not beck, anthony keidis, or the guy from train: i don't think he's just rhyming and seeing what he can get away with. i find truth and relevance in most songs on every album. i find the same thing on pearl jam albums, but i also find lukin, johnny guitar, and yellow ledbetter. dave writes some clunkers, sure, but isn't ed responsible for, "i never knew soap made you taller" and "when the gas in my tank feels like money in the bank"? ole!

i've had many conversations and arguments over the last 20 years that revolved around defending pearl jam. if a line in the sand was drawn between these two bands, there is no question which i side i would be on. that said, i think the foos don't get enough credit for the catalog they've put together in 3 or 4 less years than pearl jam or for the live juggernaut that they have become. there i no question that when all is said and done pearl jam's early/mid-90s highs will not be touched by the anything the foos or pearl jam does in the future. due to that, i am sure the band and Ten will make top 100 lists for a century to come, but i wouldn't be surprised if the foos have a more widespread impact on future generations as their parents, who will be spread out over a longer period of time due to the foo's sustained popularity, play them the songs (not albums) of their youth.

Good post, I've never understood why certain PJ fans look down on a good hook. There's also that hipster thing of "If person XYZ likes this, then I can't like it." I'm also squarely in the PJ side, but let's appreciate the Foos fans for not being exclusionary and letting others like their band. Maybe PJ fans, b/c of the band's depth, are so locked in and close to the band that a new person coming in is looked upon as an intruder and a sign that the band is deviating and losing their direction. If a new kid comes in here and says, "I love Unthought Known, but that's that song Animal about?" He would get mocked until he didn't want to be here. I'd love if those types of fans made it into the fanbase more, God know we need it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:02 pm 
Johnny Guitar

leopold wrote:
ajurlacher1 wrote:
To compare Creed to the Foos is not "offensive," I just happen to think that they are a far better band. And here's why;

-Lyrical content (not that Grohl is the best, but c'mon, his words are better than Scott Stapp's) at least his lyrics have a narrative
-Song organization/composition intro riff/verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/solo/chorus. Grohl is a genius
-Lead singer doesn't exclusively use the Vedder vibrato on every single fucking song Because he can't
-The band is more talented, instrument by instrument the Foos have a better guitarist than Mark Tremonti? Since when? And Stapp is a better singer. Check out his solo album - K. Coffin from Orlando said in his 5 star Amazon review that: "The first solo release by Scott Stapp is a terrific CD! His writing has only gotten better over the years. The songs here are diverse, uplifting, and heart-felt. There is certainly at least one song on this CD that everyone can identify with and relate to - at LEAST one." And he uses his real name for reviews so you know he is speaking the truth
-Dave Grohl has deep seeded rock roots that stretch from everything from straight punk, to Nirvana, to Tom Petty, to Queens of the Stone Age. Say what you will, dude is a diverse, talented musician. That first Foo album is 100% Dave Grohl. I don't care who you are, you at least have to respect the mans ability. The same cannot be said for any member of Creed He is a good drummer
-They take their music videos far less serious Because their songs don't mean anything
-They played on the same tour as Mike Watt. Awesome Some dude I'm supposed to like because Ed played with him. Are the Minutemen really on high rotation on your iPod?

See, we just flat out disagree. Song compostion, "intro riff/verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/solo/chorus," have you ever listened to Ten? That's literally the formula for 95% of all rock n roll songs. To say that Dave is only "a good drummer," again, I'd completely disagree. The music videos comment was pretty sarcastic on my part, but I appreciate your disection anyways. The Minutemen incidentally enough are not in "heavy" rotation on my Ipod, but I do like a few of their songs. I'm really into Ball-Hog or Tugboat, which is Watt's solo album from '95, got some great stuff and really cool collaborations. One of my favorite records. And yes, I was introduced to him through the fact that Ed spoke of him on the Self Pollution broadcast, but I don't think that's something to be emarrased of? Ed also got me into Fugazi and The Who, and I'm glad he did. And did you legitimately just defend Scott Stapp? But you want to hate on the Foo Fighters? Your logic makes absolutely no sense to me, dude. But hey, to each their own.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:03 pm 
Johnny Guitar

leopold wrote:
ajurlacher1 wrote:

See, we just flat out disagree. Song compostion, "intro riff/verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/solo/chorus," have you ever listened to Ten? That's literally the formula for 95% of all rock n roll songs. To say that Dave is only "a good drummer," again, I'd completely disagree. The music videos comment was pretty sarcastic on my part, but I appreciate your disection anyways. The Minutemen incidentally enough are not in "heavy" rotation on my Ipod, but I do like a few of their songs. I'm really into Ball-Hog or Tugboat, which is Watt's solo album from '95, got some great stuff and really cool collaborations. One of my favorite records. And yes, I was introduced to him through the fact that Ed spoke of him on the Self Pollution broadcast, but I don't think that's something to be emarrased of? Ed also got me into Fugazi and The Who, and I'm glad he did. And did you legitimately just defend Scott Stapp? But you want to hate on the Foo Fighters? Your logic makes absolutely no sense to me, dude. But hey, to each their own.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam