Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Eddie songs....
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:54 am 
Master of Meh

dimejinky99 wrote:
They've aped neil and the ramones for any amount of time. What's wrong with switching focus? Personally I'm surprised it hasn't happened earlier.

I have trouble identifying any Ramones influence on Pearl Jam.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:14 am 
Former PJ Drummer

spenno wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
They've aped neil and the ramones for any amount of time. What's wrong with switching focus? Personally I'm surprised it hasn't happened earlier.

uh, really?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:16 am 
Master of Meh

62strat wrote:
spenno wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

uh, really?

Sure.

I wonder how many people who claim they sound like The Ramones have actually heard Ramones albums.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:18 am 
Former PJ Drummer

spenno wrote:
62strat wrote:
spenno wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

uh, really?

Sure.

I wonder how many people who claim they sound like The Ramones have actually heard Ramones albums.

Hmm.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:36 am 
Got Some

joostone wrote:
http://soundcloud.com/soundcloud-7/eddie-vedder-loud-uke-2012-11

I don't think this is a new song, it was more of an improv. I was at the show and a guy kept yelling to Ed that he wanted to have a beer and a joint with him. If you listen to the lyrics Ed says all i need is a beer and a joint.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:41 am 
Former PJ Drummer

dogbelly wrote:
joostone wrote:
http://soundcloud.com/soundcloud-7/eddie-vedder-loud-uke-2012-11

I don't think this is a new song, it was more of an improv. I was at the show and a guy kept yelling to Ed that he wanted to have a beer and a joint with him. If you listen to the lyrics Ed says all i need is a beer and a joint.

yea but he's done it at a few shows now....and apparently its changing...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:58 am 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Well I don't know much of anything about the ramones To me, them and their music is entirely unnecessary. Bit when I hear pointless embarrassing songs like big wave I follow it back to the ramones. Middle aged men should not be playing that kind of music. We've done all this before but if anything that punk wannabe ethic is holding them back more than anything. They need to drop it completely.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:03 am 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

I don't think the Ramones would have ever attempted, or even wanted, a song with Big Wave's rhythmic changes.

I can hear the sound a bit in some of PJ's work (the quick down strokes are a hallmark of the Ramones), but I don't really hear much of the Ramones melodic style.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:32 am 
Coast to Coast

spenno wrote:

I have! I'm a huge Ramones fan.

But I agree, they don't really sound a whole lot like the Ramones. I feel like the biggest influence they took from that band was its live show ethic-- the high-energy blasting through the opening set with barely any breathing space in between songs (which is more fitting to the music of the Ramones than Pearl Jam). The other big influence was indirect-- Johnny Ramone serving as a "teacher" to Ed, showing him obscure and old-timey rock and roll records. But the only time I've ever noticed a real influence in the songwriting it was in the verse to "Supersonic", which features a very Ramones-y chord change.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:23 am 
Global Moderator

spenno wrote:
The U2-style bombast certainly irritates me; it does in Unthought Known as well.

On Backspacer, it's as if they decided to get together and focus on all the influences I like the least in their sound.

that makes sense. I was relieved to hear them get away from the ramones and neil young.

The perfect gift for certain occasions

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:25 am 
Global Moderator

dimejinky99 wrote:
Stip, when you're in the room, unthought known is a far more effective and genuine anthem than amongst the waves. True story.

I'd believe it. I like both songs equally (about a 3.5/5), but if i was going to hear one I think I'd rather hear UK

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:27 am 
Global Moderator

theplatypus wrote:
spenno wrote:

I have! I'm a huge Ramones fan.

But I agree, they don't really sound a whole lot like the Ramones. I feel like the biggest influence they took from that band was its live show ethic-- the high-energy blasting through the opening set with barely any breathing space in between songs (which is more fitting to the music of the Ramones than Pearl Jam). The other big influence was indirect-- Johnny Ramone serving as a "teacher" to Ed, showing him obscure and old-timey rock and roll records. But the only time I've ever noticed a real influence in the songwriting it was in the verse to "Supersonic", which features a very Ramones-y chord change.

I don't know the Ramones well (and everything I've ever heard I haven't liked, which is why I don't know them well) but I attribute the sloppier, looser, approach to songwriting (and playing) to them. Is that unfair?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:29 am 
Former PJ Drummer

you guys really dont hear the ramones influence? It may not be direct but the ramones had a huge influence on all the guitarists in the band. They dont take ramones songs and pawn them off on their own but i feel most all of pearl jam songs that are considered "punky pop rock songs" (that most people dont like) are influenced by the ramones and/or other people who have been influenced by the ramones.

I feel - if you took the ramones and the who and put them in a blender....and put 1/2 cup of water with it all....

Out comes pearl jam.

FTR:: Big Wave is not like the ramones. That song is smart and great time changes and some critical thinking involved.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:32 am 
Coast to Coast

stip wrote:
I don't know the Ramones well (and everything I've ever heard I haven't liked, which is why I don't know them well) but I attribute the sloppier, looser, approach to songwriting (and playing) to them. Is that unfair?

It's not unfair as much as it is incorrect. You had drummers steamrolling through songs at absurd BPMs, guitars playing only downstrokes, zero jamming. The songs, too, were perfectly measured in pop conventions (they were really just a very loud, very fast pop band). The Ramones weren't sloppy at all, they were one of the tightest bands around.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:40 am 
Former PJ Drummer

theplatypus wrote:
stip wrote:

It's not unfair as much as it is incorrect. You had drummers steamrolling through songs at absurd BPMs, guitars playing only downstrokes, zero jamming. The songs, too, were perfectly measured in pop conventions (they were really just a very loud, very fast pop band). The Ramones weren't sloppy at all, they were one of the tightest bands around.

Good thing they only had three players and three chords/song :\

I always thought the ramones were the beach boys of punk rock

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:42 am 
Coast to Coast

62strat wrote:
i feel most all of pearl jam songs that are considered "punky pop rock songs" (that most people dont like) are influenced by the ramones and/or other people who have been influenced by the ramones.

Possibly, but their sound is very different. It doesn't poke through the way the Who influence pokes through, or the Neil Young influence.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:42 am 
Coast to Coast

62strat wrote:

Does this contradict anything I've said?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:43 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I think the only reason I link Pearl Jam with the Ramones is because of Eddie's constant namedropping of them. Without those external cues, I don't think anything in their catalog points to a significant Ramones influence.

(Which isn't the same thing as saying that the band flat-out wasn't influenced by the Ramones--they obviously were. But how that influence manifests itself is an entirely different thing. That said, I don't think Pearl Jam sounds much like Neil Young, either.)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:46 am 
Former PJ Drummer

theplatypus wrote:
62strat wrote:

Does this contradict anything I've said?

No. I was moving your point forward (or backwards) .25 steps, guy.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:41 am 
The Snowboy

theplatypus wrote:
stip wrote:

I don't know anything about this, really, but I feel as if the Ramons were an influence on East Coast Skate Punk, Blink182 and the like, with its bright melodies and extremely tight musicianship. They were a step away from the roughness of British punk in the 70s. I think. If I'm correct, the Clash had also moved to a tighter sound by now (possibly earlier, I don't know the chronology).

As far as PJ sounding like Neil Young goes... well, I think a lot of their stuff does during a certain era, particularly the era which brought us Merkinball / Mirrorball. But apart from that, I think a lot of their acoustic stuff sounds like Young ('Off He Goes', 'Man of The Hour' etc.) and, to me, some of Riot Act.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam