Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post subject: Re: New Eddie songs....
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:50 am 
The Snowboy

stip wrote:
Harmless wrote:
I understand why Amongst The Waves fails for some, but I maintain that it does fine at being what it is: the older, maturer band producing a version of a prior style in a way which is truer to the older, maturer band. For me, it's not 'watered down' or 'PJ-lite' -- it's just another go at a style from a different, more calm perspective, lyrically and musically. .

Fair enough--I think that is especially true of the verses, which I continue to enjoy a great deal. The chorus of Amongst the Wave was the analogy I used to make sense of my disappointment with King Animal--familiar enough to past glories to force a comparison that the newer version can't hope to come out on the positive side of, be it the lack of intensity that PJ (or at least Eddie) can no longer muster in the chorus of Amongst the Waves or the general lack of atmosphere on King Animal.

I think Unthought Known is pretty close to what you are describing. An attempt to write a new kind of anthem reflecting where an older more mature band is at.

On the whole, although it doesn't spoil my experience (as much as it does for you), PJ and Soundgarden could both do with upping the stakes when it comes to chorus writing. They often fall flat after great verses, even on King Animal.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:54 am 
The Snowboy

I think the Ramones come through loud and clear on Supersonic. I really don't like the song lyrically, but I realise it's trying to go for the dumb / fun sentiment of The Ramones. I just don't think it gets there, because PJ doesn't have the sense of humour The Ramones did.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:17 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

I'd say Supersonic is the most direct ramones influenced song in an outright sense. Don't tell me you can't imagine the ramones guy singing this. Even the vocal melody soundsvery ramones.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:02 pm 
Supersonic

Harmless wrote:
I remember thinking UK would be a big grungy number with massive building guitars. When the piano revealed itself, I was like 'OK'. Missed opportunity. This one sounds heavier off the bat, which is interesting.

At first, I liked the piano part, but when you frame it that way, I now wish they had eliminated the piano for the "big grungy" sound you speak of....

If UK was recorded during the Merkin Ball session it would have been better. It needs more I Got Shit (that's not a joke or reference to that long thread I created).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:28 pm 
The Snowboy

Coach wrote:
Harmless wrote:
I remember thinking UK would be a big grungy number with massive building guitars. When the piano revealed itself, I was like 'OK'. Missed opportunity. This one sounds heavier off the bat, which is interesting.

At first, I liked the piano part, but when you frame it that way, I now wish they had eliminated the piano for the "big grungy" sound you speak of....

If UK was recorded during the Merkin Ball session it would have been better. It needs more I Got Shit (that's not a joke or reference to that long thread I created).

I haven't got a problem with the single note stuff when the band first come in, but I don't really like all the Meatloaf-style plinky plonky later on. Subtle piano is fine, not full-on stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:32 pm 
Coast to Coast

The piano line is fantastic, especially during the bridge, and lifts a mediocre song to a whole other level.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:51 pm 
Global Moderator

yeah I really like it. I think UK needs a bit more fullness, but that's not the piano's fault. It sounds good, and it helps draw a brighter line between contemporary mid-tempo songs with rousing choruses that apparently aren't anthems and the older mid-tempo songs with rousing choruses that apparently aren't anthems

The perfect gift for certain occasions

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:01 pm 
The Snowboy

theplatypus wrote:
The piano line is fantastic, especially during the bridge, and lifts a mediocre song to a whole other level.

I think it sounds like a very well played piano piece, it just doesn't fit the song for me. Yes, the piano lifts the song to another level, but I guess I would've preferred another instrument to lift it to another level. It sounds to me like an attempt to emotionally fill out a section in which nothing else is happening.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:04 pm 
Got Some

Coach wrote:
Harmless wrote:

I completely agree with this.

I was at Ed's solo show in '08 when he debuted this song, and it was a much more powerful song bare bones than what ended up on the album. Still not a bad album track. But, I would've loved to hear how '95 PJ would've shaped it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:08 pm 
Coast to Coast

Harmless wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

I think it sounds like a very well played piano piece, it just doesn't fit the song for me. Yes, the piano lifts the song to another level, but I guess I would've preferred another instrument to lift it to another level. It sounds to me like an attempt to emotionally fill out a section in which nothing else is happening.

If you take out the piano line from that bridge there's nothing left. Nothing leaft. Nothing nahh. Nothing le e e ft. Nothing leaaft. Nothing leaaft. Nothing nyeah. Nothing le e e eft. Nothing left. Nothing left. Nothing daae. Nothing le ee ee e eeaaaaauu aheeey.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:11 pm 
The Snowboy

theplatypus wrote:
Harmless wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

If you take out the piano line from that bridge there's nothing left. Nothing leaft. Nothing nahh. Nothing le e e ft. Nothing leaaft. Nothing leaaft. Nothing nyeah. Nothing le e e eft. Nothing left. Nothing left. Nothing daae. Nothing le ee ee e eeaaaaauu aheeey.

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam