Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 313 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Is Binaural the best PJ album?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:30 am 
Banned from the Pit

I used to think it was No Code but Binaural is fucking awesome.... and it was the album that got me into Pearl Jam

Post subject: Re: Is Binaural
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:33 am 
Red Mosquito, my libido

No, Yield is. But Binaural is pretty awesome and could have been the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:52 am 
Banned from the Pit

Really? Yield is a nice album but I never thought the best... It's damn good though especially on vinyl. However I would give the edge to Versus if I had to before No Code. But Binaural, how could it "have been the best"?

Something bout Ed's voice on that album... creepily good

cutuphalfdead wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:19 am 
Red Mosquito, my libido

cardinalblue06 wrote:
Really? Yield is a nice album but I never thought the best... It's damn good though especially on vinyl. However I would give the edge to Versus if I had to before No Code. But Binaural, how could it "have been the best"?

Something bout Ed's voice on that album... creepily good

cutuphalfdead wrote:

Binaural could have been the best if they trusted tchad blake to produce the whole thing and didn't pussy out at the last minute. Also the tracklisting could have been different and the songs they left off could have been given more consideration. From the songs recorded for Binaural, you can arrange a much better album than the Binaural we know and love.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:15 am 
Cameron's Stallion
 WWW  Profile

Binaural is the best, yes.

13/11/06 Melbourne, 20/11/09 Melbourne

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:00 am 
Force of Nature

lol :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:28 am 
Former PJ Drummer

Vitalogy is the best

however,

1. Yield
2. No Code
3. Binaural

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:32 am 
Master of Meh

cutuphalfdead wrote:
From the songs recorded for Binaural, you can arrange a much better album than the Binaural we know and love.

It's a damn shame this album turned out the way it did. Talk about grasping defeat from the jaws of victory.

I know this will never happen, but I'd love if they made amends with the Binaural reissue by issuing the released disc we all know on one disc and then have the original tracklisting with the original mix on the second. Keeps everyone happy.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:26 am 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

It's a flawed masterpiece, painful to listen to because you know how amazing it could've been, however some really brilliant songs on there, no matter what colour or stripe you like, Grievance, Sleight of Hand, Light years, Insignificance, Breakerfall and of course Evacuation (and the rest). The production is where it falls down for me, not the tracklisting really, but no doubt this will turn into a 25 page long debate about all aspects of it so you'll see everyone's side.
Welcome to the board by the way :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:55 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Erase Hitchhiker and you'll see that Eddie hardly put a foot wrong in these sessions: Lyrically he's at a peak, his vocals are strong and consistent throughout (though maybe at times not left to shine through the production) and his individual songs are some of his best: Light Years, Grievance, Insignificance, Sad, Parting Ways, Soon Forget, maybe even Education too. Compare this to the previous 'Ed-heavy' albums like Vitalogy and No Code, and there's definitely a progression and maturity with his skills.

With the right execution it would be my favourite PJ album, it just ends up a little misguided and confused.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:27 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

cutuphalfdead wrote:
From the songs recorded for Binaural, you can arrange a much better album than the Binaural we know and love.

I'm not sure about it. Think about it, what the best Binaural track list would be is not something most fans agree on so i guess no matter which songs would've been picked at the end i guess we'd still think they could have picked better songs for it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:30 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

Mine wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

I'm not sure about it. Think about it, what the best Binaural track list would be is not something most fans agree on so i guess no matter which songs would've been picked at the end i guess we'd still think they could have picked better songs for it.

True, but even though in the "retracking binaural" thread everyone had a different idea of what the best would be, most of the lists I saw would have put Binaural as a masterpiece.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:01 pm 
Global Moderator

welcome to the board :)

The perfect gift for certain occasions

Post subject: Re: Is Binaural the best PJ album?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:08 pm 
Global Moderator

And no--Binaural has some great songs but it's also chock full of duds--and these aren't artistic experiments that have either misfired or are just difficult to listen to (see vitalogy). these are just sub par songs (gods dice, evacuation, thin air). the sessions are not the same thing as the record, and while the stuff that came out of the binaural sessions and didn't make the record is strong, look at what didn't make a record like ten (SOLAT, Breath, Yellow Ledbetter, Foosteps, Wash, Alone--with all due respect to sad, education, and fatal they can't compete)

I wonder if some of the other sessions were as prolific and we just don't know what was produced

The perfect gift for certain occasions

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:24 pm 
Supersonic

I am one of those Pearl Jam fans that finds the best in everything the band does. I'm one of those that thinks they pretty much can do no wrong (musically speaking). I love Binaural because I love Pearl Jam. But I do not think Binaural is their best album. Far from it, in fact. I've tried rearranging tracks. I've tried getting swept up in the hype of this board (which is pretty easy to do really). I've listened over and over again. It's still my least favorie Pearl Jam album. It's great. But there's nothing that could make it Pearl Jam's best album, IMHO.

There are too many uneven tracks for me. Even some of the best tracks are a little wonky for me (Of The Girl, Nothing As It Seems, Breakerfall, Rival). Light Years, Thin Air, Sleight Of Hand and Insignificance are the only really "flawless" songs on the album for me. Get rid of Gods' Dice, Evacuation, Parting Ways (and, sorry to say, maybe even Grievance) and you're on your way to a stand-out album. Add Sad, Education, Fatal and In The Moonlight and maybe you could argue top four. But for my money Ten, Vitalogy and Vs are Pearl Jam's strongest albums. Now with the remix of Ten - everything else is a distant second.

Welcome to the board. No matter what your taste. No matter which record you prefer to spin, they are an amazing band. I know I'm better for their presence. :peace:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:27 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Fail You cannot have Binaural without Grievance. Album falls on it's arse without it.
I'm with you on some of the other tracks though.

What a wonderful band and album..i reckon Binaural gets more debate time than any other Pj record and it's people defending all sides, so in truth it MUST be a great record. There's something for everyone.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:29 pm 
Team Binaural

Angus wrote:
Vitalogy is the best

however,

1. Yield
2. No Code
3. Binaural

Angus is correct. However,....

1. Binaural
2. Vitalogy
3. Ten
4. Yield

I just try to ask as many questions as I can, and then I try to sit down and write a story that people will want to read. – Chris Jones

conoalias wrote:
you are good people chin.

Team Binaural

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:30 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

ehhh.. NO CODE??

(how many times are we gonna have this debate on RM? :lol: )

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:47 pm 
Supersonic

dimejinky99 wrote:
Fail You cannot have Binaural without Grievance. Album falls on it's arse without it.
I'm with you on some of the other tracks though.

What a wonderful band and album..i reckon Binaural gets more debate time than any other Pj record and it's people defending all sides, so in truth it MUST be a great record. There's something for everyone.

I see what you mean. Obviously something is happening here because it causes such discussion. Absolutely.

And I like the album because there is a little something for everyone. But, for me, it's very little and barely enough. There's no focus. It's all over the place with no real anchor. Just drifting. Being manipulated by the weather.

I know my discomfort with Grievance and love of Thin Air is high treason in some, most circles. :D But I've never fully understood the appeal of Grievance. It's a solid rocker, sure. But it feels like we've been here before. And the lyrics are a little trite (I'm gonna get banned for this aren't I? :oops: ) ... Insignificance is a far superior song, I think. By the time Grievance rolls around it sort feels like, didn't we just do this? And do it better? It feels like a retread to me. At least on Binaural. Maybe it would have succeed better in the context of Riot Act? I don't know. Maybe that's...

Anyway, I judge most music on an emotional level. For whatever reason, I have a very limited emotional reaction to Grievance. And since the lyrics don't inspire me intellectually (which normally saves songs that do little for me emotionally) I just can't get behind it the way others can. It rocks. And I rock out to it. It's much better than Parting Ways, Gods' Dice, Evacuation, Soon Forget, Hitchhiker. I love it live. It's great in the flow of a setlist. But I think Grievance would have been better served as a stand-out, blow your mind, "what were they thinking leaving this off an album", B-side. I don't know. Clearly, I'm in a a very small minority... But there you go...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:58 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Well thought out, well written and well put...but wrong!!
I'm kidding..each to his own I spose..think Grievance is so fondly thought of partly owing to the fact that it was the first track we saw from the album live, on Letterman. I love it 'cos it makes more of a point than most the other songs on there, but they're all good for different reasons and different people. I reckon Gods Dice is the biggest retread they've ever done..it's hail hail's poor inept cousin, but other people love it. Takes all kinds I guess and Pj are good at filling that need for us all in different ways. Clever band. It kind of is a ropey album as it stands but it could've been huge.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 313 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam