Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1525 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 77  Next
 Post subject: Re: HBO: Song of Fire and Ice
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:30 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

paaks wrote:
Kahli Sana wrote:
paaks wrote:
Kahli Sana wrote:
paaks wrote:
broken iris wrote:
paaks wrote:
On Oct 11, 2010 it was confirmed by GRRM’s editor Anne Groell that Martin has finished all but five chapters for A Dance with Dragons, and that the five chapters remaining already exist in partial form. She also teased the hope of the publisher that the manuscript will be finished by Christmas 2010.[30] This now seems unlikely.

I doubt we will see the end of the series. God help us if HBO is allowed to end it.

Brandon Sanderson can finish it.

:haha: :haha: :haha:

Thought he did a pretty good job with The Gathering Storm (a few hiccups, but nothing that detracted from the story or made me hyper-aware that there was a ghostwriter)...Towers of Midnight comes out day after tomorrow!!!

He did a great job, he missed Mat Cauthon's voice a little, but Mat is such a difficult character, like you said, it didn't distract from the story. I know people who actually think TGS is the best WOT story. Obviously crazy, the run of The Great Hunt to Lord of Chaos is probably the best series of any books ever written.

Damn good, but not the best, at least IMHO. I do, however, have VERY high hopes for ToM. The tension is building, and I'm friggin' excited. I'm halfway through my reread of Clash of Kings, and I can't decide whether to pause it and jump into ToM or to put the Wheel of Time on hold until after I finish my reread of A Feast for Crows.

I will have to wait to read ToM because I am reading Brandon Sanderson's "The Way of Kings" right now.

It's on my list. Honestly, every Sanderson book I've read has been absolutely stellar. The Mistborn trilogy kicked ass, Warbreaker was great...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:34 pm 
Unthought Known

Kahli Sana wrote:
paaks wrote:
Kahli Sana wrote:
paaks wrote:
Kahli Sana wrote:
paaks wrote:
broken iris wrote:
paaks wrote:
On Oct 11, 2010 it was confirmed by GRRM’s editor Anne Groell that Martin has finished all but five chapters for A Dance with Dragons, and that the five chapters remaining already exist in partial form. She also teased the hope of the publisher that the manuscript will be finished by Christmas 2010.[30] This now seems unlikely.

I doubt we will see the end of the series. God help us if HBO is allowed to end it.

Thought he did a pretty good job with The Gathering Storm (a few hiccups, but nothing that detracted from the story or made me hyper-aware that there was a ghostwriter)...Towers of Midnight comes out day after tomorrow!!!

He did a great job, he missed Mat Cauthon's voice a little, but Mat is such a difficult character, like you said, it didn't distract from the story. I know people who actually think TGS is the best WOT story. Obviously crazy, the run of The Great Hunt to Lord of Chaos is probably the best series of any books ever written.

Damn good, but not the best, at least IMHO. I do, however, have VERY high hopes for ToM. The tension is building, and I'm friggin' excited. I'm halfway through my reread of Clash of Kings, and I can't decide whether to pause it and jump into ToM or to put the Wheel of Time on hold until after I finish my reread of A Feast for Crows.

I will have to wait to read ToM because I am reading Brandon Sanderson's "The Way of Kings" right now.

It's on my list. Honestly, every Sanderson book I've read has been absolutely stellar. The Mistborn trilogy kicked ass, Warbreaker was great...

Yeah dude, the guy is the best fantasy writer on the planet right now, I haven't read Warbreaker yet but check out Elantris if you haven't read it.

SmilinSkullRing wrote:
The other bands section of a Pearl Jam forum isn't the center of the universe, kid.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:40 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

paaks wrote:
Kahli Sana wrote:
paaks wrote:
Kahli Sana wrote:
paaks wrote:
Kahli Sana wrote:
paaks wrote:
broken iris wrote:
paaks wrote:

Yeah dude, the guy is the best fantasy writer on the planet right now, I haven't read Warbreaker yet but check out Elantris if you haven't read it.

Elantris was the first one of his I read (as soon as I heard he was going to finish WoT, I bought it just to see if I would like it...needless to say, I was hooked).

On his website you can download a copy of Warbreaker for free in PDF (at least you could a year ago or so). He did something really neat with that - posting first drafts, then revisions, then more revisions, and then a final draft. He's very accessible, and his hope was that people would still pay for the book when it came out.

I read it at work (don't tell my boss!) on my computer, and have been meaning to buy the book because #1, I'll want to read it again someday, and #2, I want to reward him for taking such a risk.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:11 pm 
Unthought Known

We totally just turned this thread into a Brandon Sanderson love fest

SmilinSkullRing wrote:
The other bands section of a Pearl Jam forum isn't the center of the universe, kid.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:28 pm 
Force of Nature

The Way of Kings is awesome.

To stay on topic... I think they really nailed the casting especially Cersei and Joffrey.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:34 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Reflection wrote:
The Way of Kings is awesome.

To stay on topic... I think they really nailed the casting especially Cersei and Joffrey.

I was also impressed with Jaime's casting. Dany looks fantastic, too, but I am assuming they're aging her a little in the show so that there's less controversy about a 13 year old girl.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:47 pm 
Unthought Known

Dudes, Peter Dinklage as Tyrion and Aiden Gillen as Littlefinger are strokes of genius. Also, Sean Bean as Eddard Stark is amazing.

SmilinSkullRing wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:49 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

I can't help thinking i'm gonna be looking at Bean's Stark and just thinking 'Boromir'. i really hope it's not the case.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:41 pm 
Supersonic

Okay, 830 pages into Storm...

Spoiler: show
JOFFREY JUST BIT IT!!! Did he choke or was it poison? If so, was the poison meant for Tyrion? Who is behind it?

This book is spectacular! I can't wait to read more!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:14 pm 
Unthought Known

durdencommatyler wrote:

JOFFREY JUST BIT IT!!! Did he choke or was it poison? If so, was the poison meant for Tyrion? Who is behind it?

Yeah except following SOS Feast of Crows is a HUGE letdown because all the good stuff was cut out of it and put into the now-maybe-never-coming-out Dance with Dragons.

SmilinSkullRing wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:20 pm 
Supersonic

paaks wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Yeah except following SOS Feast of Crows is a HUGE letdown because all the good stuff was cut out of it and put into the now-maybe-never-coming-out Dance with Dragons.

I'm probably going to take a break after SOS before I read FOC... I got a lot of other books I want to tackle. Should I even bother reading FOC, though, until I know for sure whether or not the next one is even happening? Should I just skip FOC all together and just read the enxt one when/if if comes out?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:27 am 
Unthought Known

durdencommatyler wrote:
paaks wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

I'm probably going to take a break after SOS before I read FOC... I got a lot of other books I want to tackle. Should I even bother reading FOC, though, until I know for sure whether or not the next one is even happening? Should I just skip FOC all together and just read the enxt one when/if if comes out?

I would actually wait until DWD comes out and read both of them (FOC and DWD) at the same time, there is enough in there that furthers the story that you need to read.

SmilinSkullRing wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:23 pm 
Supersonic

paaks wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
paaks wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

I would actually wait until DWD comes out and read both of them (FOC and DWD) at the same time, there is enough in there that furthers the story that you need to read.

:thumbsup:

That's probably what I'll do, man. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:37 pm 
Got Some

I just started reading A Clash of Kings and Arya was not one of my favorites from the first book, but her little adventure seems to be a bit more intruiging for me this time around.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:41 pm 
Supersonic

intodeep wrote:
I just started reading A Clash of Kings and Arya was not one of my favorites from the first book, but her little adventure seems to be a bit more intruiging for me this time around.

I love Arya. and her story keeps gtting better and beter. Martin gives her story so much care and excitement.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:44 pm 
Supersonic

I'm 100 pages from the end of Storm Of Swords. Wow. This book is so intense. My stomache has been in knots for the last 200 or 300 pages.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:58 pm 
Supersonic

Finished Storm! Sweet baby Jesus, fuck me. That was unreal. So many twists and turns. Complete shock and awe. I almost shit myself on the final two pages.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:29 pm 
Got Some

durdencommatyler wrote:
Finished Storm! Sweet baby Jesus, fuck me. That was unreal. So many twists and turns. Complete shock and awe. I almost shit myself on the final two pages.

As someone who is only 200 pages into A Clash of Kings you make me want to read faster :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:39 pm 
Supersonic

intodeep wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

As someone who is only 200 pages into A Clash of Kings you make me want to read faster :)

Hold tight and enjoy the ride. But, yeah, Storm is so fucking unreal. I'm excited for you to get to it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:54 pm 
Unthought Known

Yeah SoS is easily the best book in the series.

SmilinSkullRing wrote:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1525 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 77  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment