Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2617 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124 ... 131  Next
 Post subject: Re: What movies are you watching?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:04 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

turned2black wrote:
Safety Not Guaranteed. Really enjoyed it. Acting was stellar and the dialogue was great without being overly Juno.
Looking forward to We Need to Talk About Kevin.

I have that one...maybe tonight??

We need to talk about kevin is a masterpiece...the photography there is astonishing. See it in blue ray.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:12 pm 
Supersonic

VinylGuy wrote:
turned2black wrote:
Safety Not Guaranteed. Really enjoyed it. Acting was stellar and the dialogue was great without being overly Juno.

We need to talk about kevin is a masterpiece...the photography there is astonishing. See it in blue ray.

i've never seen kevin is a masterpiece

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:40 pm 
Unthought Known

Life of Pi

It was good. Great visuals, storytelling. It could be a little too preachy at times. It's as if Castaway hadn't pussyfooted around the notion of faith playing an important part in one's survival. I know the atheist community would roll their eyes and mock the message but whatever. Haters gunna hate!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:44 pm 
The Snowboy

Alex wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
turned2black wrote:

i've never seen kevin is a masterpiece

I LOL'd.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:00 pm 
Unthought Known

A Room with a View (1985)

I watched it mainly for a young Helena Bonham Carter and Daniel Day Lewis.

I don't understand womens infatuation with stories that involve the elegant, courtly English types. Every thought and feeling between the characters felt manufactured and dull. This movie really tested my patience. Is this what Pride and Prejudice (and almost every Keira Knghtley film) is like?

It also had a weird homoerotic skinny dipping scene in a pond with three guys, splashing water at each other and chasing each other around in circles. Supposedly that's how English gents had fun back in the early 20th century. I don't know.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:15 pm 
trying to make a career out of postwhoring

I Hail Randy Moss wrote:

It also had a weird homoerotic skinny dipping scene in a pond with three guys, splashing water at each other and chasing each other around in circles. Supposedly that's how English gents had fun back in the early 20th century. I don't know.

That's how I envision our meet-up with Spike when you move back to Wisconsin.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:27 pm 
Unthought Known

lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
I Hail Randy Moss wrote:

That's how I envision our meet-up with Spike when you move back to Wisconsin.

Oh okay.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:27 pm 
Coast to Coast

I realize this is slightly off-topic, but I wasn't sure where to put this.

My buddy Jeremy Dylan has made an exciting documentary about one of the most important (and often overlooked) voices in American song. Please check out his film "Jim Lauderdale: The King of Broken Hearts"-- and keep an eye out for screenings near you (Los Angeles peeps-- it premieres there in two weeks!)

Here's the trailer:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:38 pm 
AnalLog

I Hail Randy Moss wrote:
Life of Pi

It was good. Great visuals, storytelling. It could be a little too preachy at times. It's as if Castaway hadn't pussyfooted around the notion of faith playing an important part in one's survival. I know the atheist community would roll their eyes and mock the message but whatever. Haters gunna hate!

I liked this, definitely a beautiful movie. I was pretty meh on the themes and what it was trying to say but in terms of visuals and storytelling it was really great. The shipwreck scene was incredible.

Always do the right thing.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:13 am 
Got Some

At Close Range. My posting of Madonna's "Live to Tell" in the "guilty pleasures" thread put me in the mood to see it again. Great performances by Sean Penn and Christopher Walken. The song is used throughout. Fantastic movie.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:22 am 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

Blue Velvet. Holy fucking shit, Dennis Hopper is scary.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:04 pm 
Got Some

We Need to Talk About Kevin. Holy fuckballs that was bleak. The cinematography was great. I do think the last quarter of the film was kind of a letdown. The school/aftermath scenes were the weakest part of the film. The scenes with the mom and Kevin were awesome and Tilda Swinton was amazing.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:12 pm 
Got Some

Bringing Out the Dead. Re-watching some of the lesser-known Scorsese movies. This was far better than I remembered. Cinematography was great. Another fantastic Elmer Bernstein score (one of his last). The lead role kinda needed a signature performance to push it into Grade A-/B territory for Scorsese films and I don't think Nic Cage delivered, although he wasn't terrible either.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:01 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

turned2black wrote:
We Need to Talk About Kevin. Holy fuckballs that was bleak. The cinematography was great. I do think the last quarter of the film was kind of a letdown. The school/aftermath scenes were the weakest part of the film. The scenes with the mom and Kevin were awesome and Tilda Swinton was amazing.

Loved the cinematography...and the ending too. The way she comes full circle with being a mom, that´s heavy shit right there.

turned2black wrote:
Bringing Out the Dead. Re-watching some of the lesser-known Scorsese movies. This was far better than I remembered. Cinematography was great. Another fantastic Elmer Bernstein score (one of his last). The lead role kinda needed a signature performance to push it into Grade A-/B territory for Scorsese films and I don't think Nic Cage delivered, although he wasn't terrible either.

Hell yeah! i saw this one in the movies, 10 years ago? maybe more...at the time Scorsese wasnt filming at all, and there was a pretty big backlash around him. It´s a good movie, the music is awesome and i loved Nic Cage here.

Saw The Grey yesterday, loved it. A really sad little movie, with good action, good suspense sequences and very well shoot. Liam Neeson rules.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:09 pm 
Got Some

VinylGuy wrote:
The way she comes full circle with being a mom, that´s heavy shit right there.

Yes. That embrace at the end is powerful.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:47 pm 
Unthought Known

New York Film Critics Circle:

Best Film: "Zero Dark Thirty"
Best Director: Kathryn Bigelow, "Zero Dark Thirty"
Best Screenplay: Tony Kushner, "Lincoln"
Best Actress: Rachel Weisz, "The Deep Blue Sea"
Best Actor: Daniel Day-Lewis, "Lincoln"
Best Supporting Actress: Sally Field, "Lincoln"
Best Supporting Actor: Matthew McConaughey, "Bernie" and "Magic Mike" (WHAT?!)
Best Cinematography: Greig Fraser, "Zero Dark Thirty"
Best Non-Fiction Film: "The Central Park Five"
Best Animated Film: "Frankenweenie"
Best Foreign Language Film: "Amour"
Best First Film: David France, "How to Survive a Plague"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:48 pm 
Unthought Known

he should get something for Killer Joe, but he didnt do much in Bernie. havent seen Magic Mike.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:59 pm 
Got Some

Kundun. Another of the lesser-known Scorsese movies. Loved it when it first came out and love it more now. I remember it died at the box office, probably because Seven Days in Tibet came out about the same time. The dream sequence with the dead monks is amazing. The score is great. I love how remote and isolated the movie feels, working on themes that Scorsese does well. This movie seems to get lost in the shuffle, but I like it more than any of his films that have followed.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:21 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

turned2black wrote:
Kundun. Another of the lesser-known Scorsese movies. Loved it when it first came out and love it more now. I remember it died at the box office, probably because Seven Days in Tibet came out about the same time. The dream sequence with the dead monks is amazing. The score is great. I love how remote and isolated the movie feels, working on themes that Scorsese does well. This movie seems to get lost in the shuffle, but I like it more than any of his films that have followed.

your post on Bringing out the dead got me thinking about those years in Scorsese´s career, from Kundum to his first box office success in a long time with the departed.
From his recent work i would say The Departed might be the best movie, maybe gangs of new york too and even if im looking forward to the wall street movie, i miss some of the old Martin.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:26 pm 
Unthought Known

VinylGuy wrote:
turned2black wrote:

your post on Bringing out the dead got me thinking about those years in Scorsese´s career, from Kundum to his first box office success in a long time with the departed.
From his recent work i would say The Departed might be the best movie, maybe gangs of new york too and even if im looking forward to the wall street movie, i miss some of the old Martin.

His recent work I'll go with The Aviator. Maybe it's because of Dicaprio's passion for the project that elevated it to different heights. I saw it 2004 with my high school buddies and they all hated it. My new friends today dislike it. I don't understand. I love the score. I love the pacing, the history. Fantastic biopic.

I still have to see Kundun. I have my reservations about Scorsese making movies with spirituality as the centerpiece (The Last Temptation of Christ). He seems to be better with it when it's the subtext.

He is planning on directing an adaptation of "Silence", which is one of my favorite books.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2617 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124 ... 131  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment