Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 403 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Movie: The Avengers (2012)
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:01 pm 
trying to make a career out of postwhoring

diaglo wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
diaglo wrote:
Holy shit.

This DELIVERS. Joss Whedon and Co. completely nail the characters, and more importantly, the character dynamics. I can't explain it, but this movie, more than almost any other, makes me feel like a 12-year old kid reading an actual Avengers comic (or any big Marvel team-up book). It just cooks; it's fun, it's exciting, and it's all rooted in the characters.

Oh, and it's EPIC. The one area I doubted Whedon would pull off was the action, and boy he proved me wrong. The action beats are so good, and mostly rooted in character. It's tough, well shot, and has real weight and heft to it, and more "holy shit" moments than all of Marvel's previous movies combined.

See it, folks.

So, you're saying I should wait until it's on DVD?

Yes, but see it with a crowd.

What if I go see it tomorrow?

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:07 pm 
Force of Nature

What if I see it with Ay-kroyd

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:53 pm 
Got Some
 YIM  Profile

Awesome isnt awesome enough of a word to describe how awesome that movie was!
its what comic book movies should be
fun, humours, action packed, and down right HULK SMASHING!

Spoiler: show
Hulk vs Loki may have been the greatest 2 second beat down fight EVER... PUNY GOD!

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:54 pm 
Supersonic

I think the series had two key strengths, and one major weakness, going into this movie...and they all showed up in force.

The strengths stand out a bit, because they are strengths that action movies rarely have: strong character interactions and a genuinely great sense of humor. The way characters play off each other, and the comedic sense that comes out of that, is really makes these movies more than most summer blockbuster special effect-laden contemporaries.

But the trade-off is a bit unfortunate: in exchange for quick-witted playfulness, they had to surrender a degree of (for lack of a better word) intensity.

Iron Man emphasized the character and humor, and it was great. Iron Man 2 tried to be a little more intense, and it wasn't so great. The only things about it that saved it at all were the left over spatterings of great fast-paced one liners. Thor, compartmentalized the drama away from where most of the film was taking place, and in doing so it ended up being an unexpectedly fun movie. Captain America, by comparison, tried really hard to be intense and embarrassed itself. They've never really made the villains scary or threatening, but that's not a problem unless you're trying to make this movie. The Red Skull literally just loses his ass off the entire movie, to the point where it needs to be cut into a very silly montage. And with so much less humor than the other films, Cap just ended up feeling lumbering.

I will note, though, that both Cap and Iron Man managed to do drama very, very well in their first halves...it's just, they did so by focusing on character rather than on intensity of plot.

So this movie had some of the best humor and character play of the entire series...but it also had pockets of dead-on-arrival "intense, ain't we?" moments. I was pretty scared at first, because the entire opening sequence involving Loki and Fury was so, so bad. But when they finally started to get the Avengers together, it got to be a lot of fun. And even the Hulk's finest hour there near the end is as humorous as it is aggressive.

Really, at their finest, these Marvel movies are some of the finest popcorn movies coming out. They just need to stop giving in to that urge to try to take themselves seriously, every so often, because it tends to stink up the place. Be playful. Leave serious to the Batman.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:16 pm 
Unthought Known

This is the movie ive dreamed about since i was twelve. I adore this movie. I couldnt believe it lived up to the hype. I seldom see a movie more than once, but could watch this ten more times. Its like my star wars.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:45 pm 
In a van down by the river

bmacsmith wrote:
This is the movie ive dreamed about since i was twelve. I adore this movie. I couldnt believe it lived up to the hype. I seldom see a movie more than once, but could watch this ten more times. Its like my star wars.

if the end is any indication of the next movie ....jesus christmas....

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:55 am 
Mike's Maniac

Amazing film, the iron man franchise needed this film more then anything after Iron Man 2. I hope they evenutally do a Iron Man/Hulk crossover movie, cause that would be awesome.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 2:16 am 

i have a feeling this is going to come very close to $200 mill as an opening

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 11:24 am 
Got Some

should i bring my 5 year old to it?

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 12:21 pm 

yea, its not terrifying in any way

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:32 pm 
Supersonic

Hulk is too scary for kids that age. Of course, it's also an explosive action movie. Even as unrealistic as the violence is, I'll probably hold off letting my son see it until he's 7 or 8.

Three couples in the showing I went to brought babies in carriers. :shake:

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:50 pm 
Supersonic

McParadigm wrote:
Hulk is too scary for kids that age. Of course, it's also an explosive action movie. Even as unrealistic as the violence is, I'll probably hold off letting my son see it until he's 7 or 8.

Yet another reason why I shy away from seeing films in movie theaters anymore.

Might have to suck it up for this one. People seem to be loving it. I'll check it out in a few weeks after the fervor has died down and my risk of encountering complete douchery is diminished.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 2:15 pm 
Got Some

inglishteecher wrote:
should i bring my 5 year old to it?

my ma took my 5 yr old niece to see it last night. although i think i'm more shocked that my ma went to the movie.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 4:19 pm 

looks like it broke harry potters opening gross. wow

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 7:56 pm 
Menace to Dogciety

McParadigm wrote:

What is the problem of feeling a bit scared? It's a classic feeling of childhood. When I was 4 I watched Burton's first Batman, I got scared, but no big deal, and it's a much darker movie than The Avengers.

I'm just a painful reminder
Another day you leave behind

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:18 pm 
Unthought Known

i dont think Hulk is very scary. but it was all just bright lights on screen when i was five. i didnt get scared until later, and watched Temple of Doom or something.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:22 pm 
On the bright side

Yeah, this was a pretty great film. My wife loved it just as much as I did. Loved the mix of humor in with it all.

Spoiler: show
As someone said earlier, when Hulk gave Loki that ass whooping, that was hilarious. Also, after Hulk and Thor took down that one monster, Hulk just punched Thor. Really made me laugh.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:33 pm 
Force of Nature

Human Bass wrote:
When I was 4 I watched Burton's first Batman...

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I feel old right about now.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 11:44 pm 
Got Some

the aforementioned 5 year old has seen the holy trilogy enough times to know it by heart. he's also seen the spiderman movies. i try to keep him away from too much swearing. he closes his eyes anytime two people kiss, so he keeps himself from sex. i've allowed him to see the first two harry potter movies, and those are pretty scary, but i'm there (parental guidance), so he understands what is and isn't real. the only nightmare he's ever had has been about coyotes, which he saw at the zoo. if violence is the only issue in the movie, it's not an issue. he and i have lightsaber duels in the backyard, but he never hits anyone at daycare or preschool.

i basically just want him to have the memory of going to this bad ass movie with his old man.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 11:50 pm 

inglishteecher wrote:
the aforementioned 5 year old has seen the holy trilogy enough times to know it by heart. he's also seen the spiderman movies. i try to keep him away from too much swearing. he closes his eyes anytime two people kiss, so he keeps himself from sex. i've allowed him to see the first two harry potter movies, and those are pretty scary, but i'm there (parental guidance), so he understands what is and isn't real. the only nightmare he's ever had has been about coyotes, which he saw at the zoo. if violence is the only issue in the movie, it's not an issue. he and i have lightsaber duels in the backyard, but he never hits anyone at daycare or preschool.

i basically just want him to have the memory of going to this bad ass movie with his old man.

do it

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 403 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 21  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment