Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 403 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Movie: The Avengers (2012)
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 11:59 pm 
Force of Nature

inglishteecher wrote:
the aforementioned 5 year old has seen the holy trilogy enough times to know it by heart. he's also seen the spiderman movies. i try to keep him away from too much swearing. he closes his eyes anytime two people kiss, so he keeps himself from sex. i've allowed him to see the first two harry potter movies, and those are pretty scary, but i'm there (parental guidance), so he understands what is and isn't real. the only nightmare he's ever had has been about coyotes, which he saw at the zoo. if violence is the only issue in the movie, it's not an issue. he and i have lightsaber duels in the backyard, but he never hits anyone at daycare or preschool.

i basically just want him to have the memory of going to this bad ass movie with his old man.

Take a clown with you and make him sit next to him. He'll remember it for life. Your welcome.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:55 am 
Got Some
 YIM  Profile

95% on Rotten Tomato
$200 mill in the states
highest saturday ever
over $650 million world wide in 12 days

Hulk Smash BOX OFFICE!

looks like a 3rd Hulk movie with a 3rd different actor will get the green light as well now after the big opening weekend, along with a Thor 2, Iron Man 3, and Captain America 2 (which as of now, will have a direct lead into Avengers 2 as of whatever it was I was reading off of one of Marvels many press releases)

In one of the interviews, the cast was asked which Avengers should be added to the next movie... Ruffalo and Hemsworth want Wolverine... which made me think... Fox would probably want too big a slice to allow it to happen in Avengers...

But how bout the Hulk movie? Hulk vs Wolverine cartoon is awesome after all.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 1:04 am 
Got Some

inglishteecher wrote:
the aforementioned 5 year old has seen the holy trilogy enough times to know it by heart.

Lord of the Rings?

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 1:48 am 
Unthought Known

MadTIGERmaN wrote:
95% on Rotten Tomato
$200 mill in the states
highest saturday ever

Hulk Smash BOX OFFICE!

looks like a 3rd Hulk movie with a 3rd different actor will get the green light as well now after the big opening weekend, along with a Thor 2, Iron Man 3, and Captain America 2 (which as of now, will have a direct lead into Avengers 2 as of whatever it was I was reading off of one of Marvels many press releases)

In one of the interviews, the cast was asked which Avengers should be added to the next movie... Ruffalo and Hemsworth want Wolverine... which made me think... Fox would probably want too big a slice to allow it to happen in Avengers...

yeah its a shame they dont have full rights to X-Men and Spiderman. Can they ever get them back?

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:18 am 
Got Some

PJeff wrote:
inglishteecher wrote:
the aforementioned 5 year old has seen the holy trilogy enough times to know it by heart.

Lord of the Rings?

are you fucking with me?

star wars, empire, jedi.

i do like lotr, but i'm making him wait on those until we read and he sees the hobbit first.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:51 am 
Coast to Coast

This was awesome.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:06 am 
Got Some

I saw this yesterday and i really enjoyed it. A good summer movie. Lots of nods to the comics with some exciting fight scenes.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:45 pm 
On the bright side

bmacsmith wrote:
MadTIGERmaN wrote:
95% on Rotten Tomato
$200 mill in the states
highest saturday ever

Hulk Smash BOX OFFICE!

yeah its a shame they dont have full rights to X-Men and Spiderman. Can they ever get them back?

Seeing as how Wolverine and Spiderman were "New Avengers", I would rather they stick to old characters. Plus, Spiderman just annoys the shit out of me.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:40 pm 
Got Some
 YIM  Profile

Rebar wrote:
bmacsmith wrote:
MadTIGERmaN wrote:
95% on Rotten Tomato
$200 mill in the states
highest saturday ever

Hulk Smash BOX OFFICE!

Seeing as how Wolverine and Spiderman were "New Avengers", I would rather they stick to old characters. Plus, Spiderman just annoys the shit out of me.

the Webheads always pissed me off too, just wanna punch him SNIKT SNIKT style
I see the point about Avengers vs New Avengers? but this is a once in a life time, golden shot... Hugh's played Wolverine in 5 (soon to be 6) movies... and is by far Marvels most popular character, AND could easily be written in as Nicks secret weapon X if things, like say, THE HULK get too out of hand... youd think Fox would be all for the guest star, as it will only bolster the X-men franchise...

as for Marvel getting them back? there's no way Fox will give up the rights now.
They already have The Wolverine set to begin production in a month or so, X-men First Class part 2, and now are talking of a possible New Mutants spin off, AND still want to do Age of Apocalypse... If anything, maybe, just MAYBE Fox will go get someone from Marvel involved with the scripts / story's...

man if only Joss could write/direct ALL comic book movies.

Avengers really is, how they should be

Spoiler: show
tired of a few people saying Loki was weak... hes always kinda been one to run and hide once he feels he can no longer win... hes a trickster, even in my limited Norse Mythology knowledge ive always viewed him as a rather spineless trickster who starts shit but runs when it his the fan... and thats really the ONLY knock im seeing on Avengers

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:01 pm 
Unthought Known

yeah i guess ill see this bullshit sometime soon

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:17 am 
On the bright side

I Hail Randy Moss wrote:

Go in with that open mind we all know you have, IHRM.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:22 am 
Supersonic

Rebar wrote:
I Hail Randy Moss wrote:

You need more than an open mind to be impressed with this.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:34 am 
On the bright side

McParadigm wrote:
Rebar wrote:
I Hail Randy Moss wrote:

Wait, you didn't like it?

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:42 am 
Supersonic

lets see..

loki was awesome once again

the hulk was finally done right.. dude was pretty badass, also made me laugh a lot a couple times

im glad they gave hawkeye the credit he deserves.. i thought they were gonna make him some little bitch but nah.. i guess they did what they did to him at the beginning to give him some clout, being that he didnt have his own movie and some of the audience wasnt familiar

i like the way they were able to focus kinda equally on all the individual members.. i like the fact that there was basically a fight scene between basically every combination of everyone

this movie, from what i know n what im gathering.. stayed as true to an actual comic as possible.. which is awesome

probably my #2 overall comic movie behind dark knight

after watchin that first scene aft the credits, pretty pumped for the next one.. im curious how they incorporate 'him' into the individual movies

dvds -> http://db.etree.org/lukinman

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:48 am 
Coast to Coast

Rebar wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
Rebar wrote:
I Hail Randy Moss wrote:

He did, he just loves being self-serious and douchey in these superhero movie threads. I know it, we can smell our own.

This movie was fantastic.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:11 am 
Unthought Known

Paradigm is seldom impressed by movies.

so many quotes. every character got at least one zinger.

ironman: Legolas

Cap: I get that reference!

Loki: I'm listening.

Hulk: Puny God

Thor: He's adopted

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:42 am 
Supersonic

Rebar wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
Rebar wrote:
I Hail Randy Moss wrote:

I overstated. Apologies.

There were absolutely some fantastic zingers...like I said, the humor is just stellar in this series...and the characters were fun to watch. But the more the Marvel movies try to imply a sense of danger or dread, the more they fail. This one screwed up exactly where Captain America did: it tried to match up "this guy is fucking invisible" moments with dramatic action sequences. How do you possibly expect to have both? Really? And how much of this movie was invested in "look...these guys are so fucking tits they can't even beat each other up" shit? Even Samuel L. Jackson could just hop off a spiraling, crashing helicopter onto cool grass without blinking an eye. What drama, or tension, are you going to offer after that?

I honestly don't know what to do with an action movie that is 100% devoid of tension, emotion, or dramatic feel. I guess that's just me. I need human emotion, on some level other than "Ooh, shiny." If there wasn't a funny one-liner on hand about being adopted (hilarious, I might add), it was like seeing bright image explosions after drinking too much and getting doped up for surgery.

If you hop back to my initial post, I think you'll see I made a point of emphasizing the positive...the qualities I appreciate. There were things that were a lot of fun about this film. And even if I wasn't impressed, I realized that my not liking this movie didn't mean that there isn't anything there to like (see: Super Eight). But like anybody who walks out of a theater, I have to be totally honest: I was just bored. And the saddest truth is that I left 10 minutes before the end. I waited for my friend outside because I was exhausted...not because of the movie...but I also hadn't seen one thing in two hours that I would have wondered about or wanted to see resolved if the projector had broken down. I literally have not seen nor heard about the end of this movie aside from outside references, and that fact didn't warrant enough thought to even mention in my initial response.

Quote:
He did, he just loves being self-serious and douchey in these superhero movie threads. I know it, we can smell our own.

Iron Man was awesome. Thor? Good enough to watch twice. The first Transformers movie? Well, stupid, but I had fun anyway. Even that last Terminator film managed to do a helicopter crash without making it boring or forgettable.

I am a douche...and I *am* trying to make a point here...but I think it's obvious that I found very redeeming qualities to this movie. I'm not saying it was a shit film. I just didn't think it was more than kind of good. There's nothing wrong with being kind of good, if that's what you are...not everybody reaches that level. It's just that this tidal wave of Avengers lust is a little like having a bunch of people tell you that Hunger Games was the best book they read all year, or that Big Bang Theory is the best TV show on the air.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:00 am 
Stone's Bitch

McParadigm wrote:
Rebar wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
Rebar wrote:
I Hail Randy Moss wrote:

I overstated. Apologies.

There were absolutely some fantastic zingers...like I said, the humor is just stellar in this series...and the characters were fun to watch. But the more the Marvel movies try to imply a sense of danger or dread, the more they fail. This one screwed up exactly where Captain America did: it tried to match up "this guy is fucking invisible" moments with dramatic action sequences. How do you possibly expect to have both? Really? And how much of this movie was invested in "look...these guys are so fucking tits they can't even beat each other up" shit? Even Samuel L. Jackson could just hop off a spiraling, crashing helicopter onto cool grass without blinking an eye. What drama, or tension, are you going to offer after that?

I honestly don't know what to do with an action movie that is 100% devoid of tension, emotion, or dramatic feel. I guess that's just me. I need human emotion, on some level other than "Ooh, shiny." If there wasn't a funny one-liner on hand about being adopted (hilarious, I might add), it was like seeing bright image explosions after drinking too much and getting doped up for surgery.

Quote:

Iron Man was awesome. Thor? Good enough to watch twice. The first Transformers movie? Well, stupid, but I had fun anyway. Even that last Terminator film managed to do a helicopter crash without making it boring or forgettable.

I am

I pretty much agree with this. I enjoyed the movie quite a bit, but I'm tired of the whole "I'm practically invincible" nature of these heroes and the ridiculous amount of CGI. It was a fun movie, but it felt pretty much identical to the other Marvel movies, except there were more characters.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:02 am 
Unthought Known

McParadigm wrote:
Rebar wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
Rebar wrote:
I Hail Randy Moss wrote:

I overstated. Apologies.

they were invincible, but not all-powerful.

the drama was in them stopping the bad guys from killing people that werent invincible (and them trying not to kill anyone in the process). Obviously they weren't going to die, but they were all vulnerable in some way. Even Hulk and Thor, though invincible, were not without flaws that needed to be overcome. There was plenty of tension for me.
Getting the Hulk off the ship before he destroyed the thing was one. Samuel L jumping out of that chopper was a bit much, i agree. that was just sloppy.

It was also fun to see the regular guys (comparatively) manage to contribute along with the super powered freaks.

but it seems to me that if you get the characters right, you are 90% of the way there. the rest is just details. Red Skull shouldnt have sucked so bad, i agree, but i was too busy loving how much they nailed Captain America to care. This is the opposite of the Batman films, where the bad guys are so interesting and the hero so dull.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:54 am 
Unthought Known

Now that i think about it, i had the opposite problem with the Captain America movie you did (besides the clipped and forced ending). I think the problem you describe was by design, to harken back to the golden age propaganda, when characters like him and Superman basically kicked the shit out of nazis with laser guns on a monthly basis. I'm not sure a strong antagonist was necessary. The nazis weren't really important. The real story is about him just being able to fight the nazis, not the actual winning part. At least I think that was the plan.

The problem was when he finally became the superhero, he didn't really ratchet up the badassery like you'd usually expect (and like he generally is in the comics). What's weirder is that the guy in the second Hulk movie felt more like Captain America's power level than this guy was. I still dont think we've seen Cap really show up yet, but the excellent job they've done bringing a very difficult character to the big screen makes up for it.

Anyway, it was probably the only superhero movie I've seen where I was actually interested in the origin story. They are usually pretty tedious.

McParadigm wrote:
It's just that this tidal wave of Avengers lust is a little like having a bunch of people tell you that Hunger Games was the best book they read all year, or that Big Bang Theory is the best TV show on the air.

wait, why am I talking movies with you? you really cant type something like the above directly after typing this:

Quote:
The first Transformers movie? Well, stupid, but I had fun anyway.

Last edited by bmacsmith on Tue May 08, 2012 4:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 403 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 21  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Arts & Entertainment